View Poll Results: Are you interested in a PB mobile app for iPhone/Droid?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I would be willing to contribute

7 18.92%
  • Yes, but I would not want to contribute

5 13.51%
  • No

15 40.54%
  • What is an iPhone/Droid?

10 27.03%

Computers & Technology discuss Is there sufficient interest in a PB iPhone/Droid App? in the General Forums forums; On March 15th, vBulletin will be releasing its vBulletin Mobile Suite that I can purchase to build a PB-branded app for the iPhone and Droid. ...

Semper Fidelis is offline. 2 Timothy 2:24-25
    Blog Entries

Is there sufficient interest in a PB iPhone/Droid App?

On March 15th, vBulletin will be releasing its vBulletin Mobile Suite that I can purchase to build a PB-branded app for the iPhone and Droid. It will set me back $199 for the first year and $99/year thereafter. If you're a user of the Droid or iPhone please respond so I can get a sense of raw numbers. The app would be free but I would like to see if users of this app would be willing to throw in a few dollars per year in donations so I don't have to pay so much out of pocket.
    Rich
    Ruling Elder, Licentiate, Under Care, Hope of Christ Church (PCA), Northern VA
    Student, New Geneva Theological Seminary

WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to build and promote your web site.
    SoliDeoGloria.com - A Community for Reformed Thought and Discussion

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Joshua is offline. _
    Blog Entries
    What would its distinctive functionality from, say, the others? Would it be where we could upload pics from the phone, etc.? If so, I say "yes" and would contribute.
    Josh
    CCRPC, RPCGA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    What would its distinctive functionality from, say, the others? Would it be where we could upload pics from the phone, etc.? If so, I say "yes" and would contribute.
    vBulletin Community Forum - vBulletin Mobile FAQ

It'd be like Tapatalk.
    Rich

WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to build and promote your web site.

fredtgreco is offline. Vanilla Westminsterian
    Would it be iPad native? That is, would it give full screen view?
    Fred Greco
    Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA (Katy, TX)
    Christ Church Blog

"The heart is the main thing in true religion...It is the hinge and turning-point in the condition of man's soul. If the heart is alive to God and quickened by the Spirit, the man is a living Christian. If the heart is dead and has not the Spirit, the man is dead before God." (J.C. Ryle)

SolaScriptura is offline. Puritanboard Softy
    I'd love an app by which we could search for confessionally Reformed churches by confession of subscription.
    Ben
    Chaplain, US Army
    Stuttgart, Germany
    TE Potomac Presbytery, PCA
    www.thebenaddiction.com

"Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, 'would an idiot do that?' And if they would, I do not do that thing." -- Dwight Schrute

"I've been so thoroughly trained that I don't even need to think before I speak." -- Harry Crumb

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fredtgreco View Post
    Would it be iPad native? That is, would it give full screen view?
    It's not going to have native iPad functionality.
    Rich

rbcbob is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    I would be interested in an iPhone app.
    Bob, elder, RBC Louisville. 1689 LBCF

Forum Rules - Signature Requirements

Herald is offline. Moderator
    If it's not more feature-rich than Tapatalk I wouldn't use it.
    Bill Brown
    Elder
    Grace Baptist Church
    Student at Midwest Center for Theological Studies

Joshua is offline. _
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Pastor Brown, if I'm understanding correctly that it would be like tapatalk, but I may be misunderstanding.
    Josh
    CCRPC, RPCGA

SolaScriptura is offline. Puritanboard Softy
    It should have the ability to contain various reformed confessions so they can be read from the app, search for confessional churches, etc.
    Ben
    Chaplain, US Army
    Stuttgart, Germany
    TE Potomac Presbytery, PCA
    www.thebenaddiction.com

"Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, 'would an idiot do that?' And if they would, I do not do that thing." -- Dwight Schrute

"I've been so thoroughly trained that I don't even need to think before I speak." -- Harry Crumb

LawrenceU is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    I'm with Bill, if it is not more feature rich and flexible than Tapatalk, I would not see the need for it.
    'There's nae jouking in the cause of Christ' - James Guthrie

We shall not adjust our Bible to the age; but before we have done with it, by God's grace, we shall adjust the age to the Bible. - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    Pastor - Providence Family Fellowship / Mobile, Alabama
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice

beej6 is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    I see the app lets some basic moderation functions happen from the mobile app, that may make it an advantage over Tapatalk?

jfschultz is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    I voted 'No" because it does not fully support the iPad. Why not Forum Runner which supports both iOS and Android OS devices. It works with vBulletin with no cost to the BBS and a nominal $2.00 for the mobile app.
    Soli Deo Gloria

John Schultz
    Member, Riveroaks Reformed Presbyterian Church (PCA)
    Germantown, TN

Be careful what you send in an e-mail ... it might get published!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jfschultz View Post
    I voted 'No" because it does not fully support the iPad. Why not Forum Runner which supports both iOS and Android OS devices. It works with vBulletin with no cost to the BBS and a nominal $2.00 for the mobile app.
    Your response makes no sense to me. The vBulletin app supports iOS, it just hasn't created a dedicated iPad app. In other words, the iPhone app will run on the iPad. If by "fully support the iPad" you reject the vBulletin mobile app because it is an iPhone app then, by logical extension, why would you want to pay money for Forum Runner, which has the same limitations?
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis View Post
    Your response makes no sense to me. The vBulletin app supports iOS, it just hasn't created a dedicated iPad app. In other words, the iPhone app will run on the iPad. If by "fully support the iPad" you reject the vBulletin mobile app because it is an iPhone app then, by logical extension, why would you want to pay money for Forum Runner, which has the same limitations?
    Rich,

I don't know about Forum Runner, but I can explain one thing, I think. If the app is not iPad native, it shows up in the middle of the iPad as the size of an iPhone with black all around it. Therefore it really does not take advantage of the iPad's capabilities (for example, I don't believe it rotates with the display, and therefore you can only hold the iPad in one direction, portrait).

That means that Tapatalk is just as good (since it is an iPhone app also) or even using the Safari browser works better (because there is a decent amount of screen space). It does not make sense it seems to me to pay that much money (even with donations) for what is essentially an iPhone app.
    Fred Greco
    Christ Church Blog

"The heart is the main thing in true religion...It is the hinge and turning-point in the condition of man's soul. If the heart is alive to God and quickened by the Spirit, the man is a living Christian. If the heart is dead and has not the Spirit, the man is dead before God." (J.C. Ryle)

Blog Entries
    Rich,

I don't know about Forum Runner, but I can explain one thing, I think. If the app is not iPad native, it shows up in the middle of the iPad as the size of an iPhone with black all around it. Therefore it really does not take advantage of the iPad's capabilities (for example, I don't believe it rotates with the display, and therefore you can only hold the iPad in one direction, portrait).

That means that Tapatalk is just as good (since it is an iPhone app also) or even using the Safari browser works better (because there is a decent amount of screen space). It does not make sense it seems to me to pay that much money (even with donations) for what is essentially an iPhone app.
    I understand all that Fred but it is the same problem that Forum Runner has. In other words, if the problem is that there is not going to be an iPad native app then why say: "I won't pay for this because it's not iPad native but I will pay for this other app that's not iPad native either...."

Also, with a 10" screen, doesn't the board look pretty decent in Safari without the need for an app? This thread is really asking iPhone/Droid users if they would like a dedicated app.
    Rich

I understand. I was under the impression (and I could be wrong) that Tapatalk was free to the board, and the cost was for the individual user. You are correct about Safari working pretty well.
    Fred Greco
    Christ Church Blog

Blog Entries
    I understand. I was under the impression (and I could be wrong) that Tapatalk was free to the board, and the cost was for the individual user. You are correct about Safari working pretty well.
    That's true. Tapatalk does license its software so board owners can brand their own Tapatalk-like app but the normal plugin is free for board use. Looking at the Forum Runner software, it seems less capable than Tapatalk.

The main advantage of the vBulletin mobile apps is that it's going to be free for end users but cost me some $$ to load. I think it might end up being more feature-rich in the long run as it's made by the board software vendor itself.
    Rich

Rich,

The difference is that while Tapatalk is an iPhone iOS app, Fourum Runner is a universal iOS app. This means that it will take advantage of the increased screen space of the iPad instead of just showing a "virtual" iPhone in the middle of the screen.

BTW, if Tapatalk is properly coded and rotates on an iPhone, it will rotate on an iPad.
    Soli Deo Gloria

John Schultz
    Germantown, TN

Blog Entries
    Thanks John. I've enabled Forum Runner for the forum if a Droid or iPhone user has the app installed. It supports Tapatalk as well. If anyone has both I'd be interested in their opinions of the strengths of Forum Runner compared to Tapatalk.
    Rich

I have not run Forum Runner, but I can confirm that Tapatalk does not rotate, and neither do any of my other iPhone apps on iPad.
    Fred Greco
    Christ Church Blog

Ok, is there a way to turn off the annoying Forum Runner pop ups now? Every time I visit a page on the forum using my iPad, it wants to tell me about Forum Runner.
    Fred Greco
    Christ Church Blog

Blog Entries
    Fixed.
    Rich

jawyman is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    It's not going to have native iPad functionality.
    This is the only reason why I voted no.
    Jeff Wyman
    Little Farms Chapel OPC, Coopersville, MI
    www.calvinseminary.edu

Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. - James 1:12 (ESV)

Selig ist der Mann, der die Anfechtung erduldet; denn nachdem er bewährt ist, wird er die Krone des Lebens empfangen, welche Gott verheißen hat denen, die ihn liebhaben. - Jakob 1:12 (LUT '45)

Quote Originally Posted by fredtgreco
    I have not run Forum Runner, but I can confirm that Tapatalk does not rotate, and neither do any of my other iPhone apps on iPad.
    This rotation issue seems to be mostly true. A quick check of my iPhone apps maybe a third do rotate but most do not.

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

There is a free, read only, version of Forum Reader that one can use to try it out.
    Soli Deo Gloria

John Schultz
    Germantown, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis
    Thanks John. I've enabled Forum Runner for the forum if a Droid or iPhone user has the app installed. It supports Tapatalk as well. If anyone has both I'd be interested in their opinions of the strengths of Forum Runner compared to Tapatalk.
    Thanks, I found, at least on the iPad, that Forum Runner works very well. In fact I find it more reponsive than using a browser. The down side is that it does not display the member's signature on their posts.
    Soli Deo Gloria

John Schultz
    Germantown, TN

Elimelek is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    I would definately be interested in an Android app.
    Rev. Jacobus van Straaten
    DR Church Andrew Murray

Augusta is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Cool! I recently aquired a wp7 and I just installed the free Tapatalk. I am new to the whole smart phone thing so I think it's awesome! I don't know what I am talking about though.
    Traci
    Lynnwood OPC

"I have taken all my good deeds, and all my bad deeds, and cast them through each other in a heap before the Lord, and fled from both, and betaken myself to the Lord Jesus Christ, and in him I have sweet peace."--David Dickson

Tapatalk is now updated for iPad (and free if you bought the iPhone app).
    Fred Greco
    Christ Church Blog

Blog Entries
    Tapatalk is now updated for iPad (and free if you bought the iPhone app).
    Updated...
    Rich

Thanks, Rich. Hopefully that will keep you from having to install another app.
    Fred Greco
    Christ Church Blog