Translations and Manuscripts discuss Revelation 22:18-19 and Paraphrase Translations in the The Scriptures forums; I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues ...

Michael is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Blog Entries

Revelation 22:18-19 and Paraphrase Translations

I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book. (Rev 22:18-19)

Would anyone care to share thoughts as to how this passage might apply to the paraphrase translations of our day?

What say ye?

toddpedlar is offline. Iron Dramatist
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Turner View Post
    I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book. (Rev 22:18-19)

Would anyone care to share thoughts as to how this passage might apply to the paraphrase translations of our day?

What say ye?
    While I have extreme distaste for the paraphrases of the day, I wouldn't say they fail this test except when they are promoted as or taken to BE Scripture. I paraphrase Scripture when I teach it in Sunday School, and even to a degree when preaching. I definitely paraphase it when I'm teaching my children at home - putting it into words that help them understand what God is saying in His word. That being said, when a paraphrase is billed as God's Word, that is when I believe there are problems that are associated with violations of this command. I cringe at the knowledge of some of my friends who are pastors that use things like "The Message" in their preaching - and even use it as the text read and commented upon in their sermons.
    Todd K. Pedlar
    member, First Congregational Church, (CCCC) Cresco, IA
    My Blog: In Principio Deus
    24/7 Reformed Internet Radio: Sola5 Radio

"As God did not at first choose you because you were high, He will not now forsake you because you are low."
    John Flavel in Keeping the Heart

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Joining PB's Politics & Government Forum

PointingToChrist is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Because we are translating from the original languages, every translation is a paraphrase to some degree.

I believe if the language conveys the correct word or thought, we're in business. However, that's the rub - word for word or thought for thought?
    Mitch
    Grace OPC, Vienna, VA

Jake is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    For example, my pastor said today (I'm trying not to paraphrase here, this is as verbatim as I recall it ):

Don't bother trying to follow along today, I am going to be reading from Eugene Peterson's translation of the Holy Scriptures. Yes it is a translation, it is not a paraphrase; it is a translation from the original languages.

He then proceeded to read and somewhat exposit.
    Jake
    Member, OPC
    TN

Blessed is the man whom thou dost choose,
    and mak'st approach to thee,
    That he within thy courts, O Lord,
    may still a dweller be:

We surely shall be satisfied
    with thy abundant grace,
    And with the goodness of thy house,
    ev'n of thy holy place. (Ps. 65:4)