Translations and Manuscripts discuss Proper Pronunciation of "Selah?" in the The Scriptures forums; I have heard it pronounced "Say-lah" but the secular dictionary lists it as "See-Lah" and the Hebrew etymology (from the same Merriam Webster source) lists ...

ChristopherPaul is offline. Puritanboard Senior

Proper Pronunciation of "Selah?"

I have heard it pronounced "Say-lah" but the secular dictionary lists it as "See-Lah" and the Hebrew etymology (from the same Merriam Webster source) lists it as See-Lay.

So what is the most recognized pronunciation by the Church?
    Christopher Reeder
    Husband to Kara, Father to Abigail (11), Caleb (10), Grace (9), Zoë (7), Elijah (6), Hannah (4), Mary (2), Philip (1), and Boy (in womb)

Member: Greenville Presbyterian Church, Free Church of Scotland (Continuing), Greenville, SC

Backwoods Presbyterian is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries
    I vote for See-Lah
    Rev. Benjamin P. Glaser, M. Div, ARP
    Pastor, Ellisville Presbyterian Church, ARP
    Ellisville, Mississippi

‎‎"Ministers of the Gospel, when dispensing the truths of God, must preach home to their own souls, as well as unto others. Sir's, we do not deliver truths or doctrines to you, wherein we ourselves have no manner of concern. No, our own souls are at the stake, and shall either perish or be saved eternally, as we receive or reject these precious truths which we deliver unto you. And truly, it can never be expected that we will apply the truths of God with any warmth or liveliness unto others, unless we first make a warm application thereof to our own souls. And if we do not feed upon these doctrines, and practise these duties, which we deliver to and inculcate upon you, though we preach unto others, we ourselves are but castaways." -- Ebenezer Erskine, "The Assurance of Faith", pg. 8

Deo Vindice

Poimen is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Seh-lah.

Both the vowels are short.
    Rev. Daniel Kok
    Pastor in the St. Lawrence Presbytery of the RPCNA
    Leduc, Alberta CANADA

"What sort of pledge and how great is this of love towards us! Christ lives for us not for himself!"
    John Calvin, Commentary on the Hebrews (7:25)

DavidCPorter is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    See-lah in the UK.
    David Porter
    Presbyterian Church in Ireland
    Minister of Second Dromara Presbyterian Church
    Dromara, County Down, Northern Ireland

VictorBravo is offline. Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Poimen View Post
    Seh-lah.

Both the vowels are short.
    I agree. The vowel pointing in the Hebrew seems pretty clear.

Unless you are talking about the town in Washington State. Then it is pronounced "See-lah".
    R. Victor Bottomly
    Port Cities Reformed Baptist Church, Lewiston ID

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- How to access Politics and Government forum

N. Eshelman is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    The word is pronounced See-lah; but when the Scriptures are read aloud you do not read the word. It means pause, rest, meditate. It is appropriate to pause when the word comes up and then to continue without saying the word. It is more of a written cue to the reader.

N. Eshelman is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Selah — a word frequently found in the Book of Psalms, and also in Hab. 3:9, 13, about seventy-four times in all in Scripture. Its meaning is doubtful. Some interpret it as meaning “silence” or “pause;” others, “end,” “a louder strain,” “piano,” etc. The LXX. render the word by daplasma i.e., “a division.”
    Easton, M.G.: Easton's Bible Dictionary. Oak Harbor, WA : Logos Research Systems, Inc., 1996, c1897

JBaldwin is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Quote Originally Posted by nleshelman View Post
    Selah — a word frequently found in the Book of Psalms, and also in Hab. 3:9, 13, about seventy-four times in all in Scripture. Its meaning is doubtful. Some interpret it as meaning “silence” or “pause;” others, “end,” “a louder strain,” “piano,” etc. The LXX. render the word by daplasma i.e., “a division.”
    Easton, M.G.: Easton's Bible Dictionary. Oak Harbor, WA : Logos Research Systems, Inc., 1996, c1897
    I have also heard some define it as a musical term.
    J Baldwin
    Keowee Presbyterian Church, PCA
    Pickens, SC
    “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” Luke 10:27

Check Out My Blog: http://reflectjoy.blogspot.com/

VictorBravo is offline. Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nleshelman View Post
    The word is pronounced See-lah; but when the Scriptures are read aloud you do not read the word. It means pause, rest, meditate. It is appropriate to pause when the word comes up and then to continue without saying the word. It is more of a written cue to the reader.
    Hmm. Given that the vowel pointing in Hebrew: a segol on the first consonant and a patah on the second, I wonder why you'd say the first syllable is "See".

No big deal, but the "See" pronounciation seems to be an English variant.

Also, the word (spelled the same way) is used for a city in 2 Kings 14:7, so at least in one place it was probably pronounced.
    R. Victor Bottomly
    Port Cities Reformed Baptist Church, Lewiston ID

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- How to access Politics and Government forum

Michael is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Blog Entries
    From e-sword:

H5542
    סלה
    selâh
    seh'-law
    From H5541; suspension (of music), that is, pause: - Selah.

ChristopherPaul is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Thank you for all the helpful responses.

My family just found out yesterday that the baby we are expecting in August is a girl. My wife really likes the name "Selah" for her middle name. I am not so sure - it is growing on me more and more, but I want to know how to pronounce it.
    Christopher Reeder
    Husband to Kara, Father to Abigail (11), Caleb (10), Grace (9), Zoë (7), Elijah (6), Hannah (4), Mary (2), Philip (1), and Boy (in womb)

Member: Greenville Presbyterian Church, Free Church of Scotland (Continuing), Greenville, SC