Translations and Manuscripts discuss A bible for a 9 year old? in the The Scriptures forums; What would be a good bible I could get for my nine year old nephew? and maybe a small childrens catachism for him? blade...

Bladestunner316 is offline. Puritanboard Doctor

A bible for a 9 year old?

What would be a good bible I could get for my nine year old nephew?

and maybe a small childrens catachism for him?

blade
    Nathan Olaf Brandal

"Man is nothing: he hath a free will to go to hell, but none to go to heaven, till God worketh in him to will and to do his good pleasure"
    GEORGE WHITEFIELD TO JOHN WESLEY

My Blog

CalsFarmer is offline. Inactive User
    My daughter bought her children adult bibles when they were 8, read and studied with them. Its proably one of the reasons they read several grade levels higher than their actual grade in school. She makes them read out loud to her at least twice a week for an hour.

Of course since its your nephew..I am clueless.
    Grace Farmer
    Member, Mid Cities Presbyterian Church (OPC)
    Bedford, Texas

wsw201 is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Blade,

Being that your nephew is 9, I would agree with Grace that you could probably get an ESV or NKJV and that should do just fine. Most of the children's bibles that I have seen are basically paraphrases and I would think it would be best to go ahead and start with a regular translation.

Also, you can go to GCP.org and get a catechism book for children. I would also recommend getting the Westminster Shorter Catechism. It was written for educating young children.
    ~Wayne Wylie~
    Member, Mid Cities Presbyterian Church (OPC)
    Ruling Elder
    http://www.mcopc.org
    Bedford, TX

Job 28:28 - And unto man he said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding.

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

VictorBravo is offline. Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Blade, I agree with Wayne. Go for an adult's Bible. I think the NKJV or ESV would be fine.

I received a KJV Bible when I was 9 years old. I was not converted until my 40s, but I nevertheless learned to read it. It served me well in becoming a good reader quite early.

Vic
    R. Victor Bottomly
    Port Cities Reformed Baptist Church, Lewiston ID

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- How to access Politics and Government forum

LadyFlynt is offline. Inactive User
    Scofield's! (oh, wait...that was when I was nine!) :P

Seriously, I see no reason you can't get him an ESV or NKJV...even the Reformation Bible is good.
    JC - PCA - PA...homesick for SC
    A we n' de Ya, ho; I mak sikker; Deus juvat

Indicabo tibi o homo quid sit bonum, et quid Dominus requirat a te: Utique facere iudicium, et diligere, misericordiam, et sollicitum ambulare cum Deo tuo. Michaeas 6:8

"Who says you can't go back, been all around the world and as a matter of fact. There's only one place left I want to go, who says you can't go home" Bon Jovi

larryjf is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Blog Entries
    ESV's children's bible has been published...

http://www.esv.org/blog/2005/10/chil...ible.published
    Larry Bray
    Elder - Reformed Presbyterian Church of Boothwyn, PCA
    Boothwyn, PA - http://www.rpcb.org/
    Free Online Reformed Seminary - http://www.tnars.net
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Christian ritual costs nothing and is worth nothing. True Christian religion costs all that we have and is worth everything.

Bladestunner316 is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    sounds good
    Nathan Olaf Brandal

"Man is nothing: he hath a free will to go to hell, but none to go to heaven, till God worketh in him to will and to do his good pleasure"
    GEORGE WHITEFIELD TO JOHN WESLEY

My Blog