Pneumatology discuss Which Books on the Holy Spirit are Best? in the Theological Forum forums; There's a dearth of Reformed literature on how the Holy Spirit operates today...but surely there are some good books out there. Any suggestions? Thanks,...

Jim-Bob is offline. Puritanboard Freshman

Which Books on the Holy Spirit are Best?

There's a dearth of Reformed literature on how the Holy Spirit operates today...but surely there are some good books out there. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jim-Bob...The Hillbilly Hebrew. Shalom, Y'all!

Jimmy the Greek is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Doctrine-Holy-Spirit-George-Smeaton/dp/0851511872]Amazon.com: Doctrine of the Holy Spirit: George Smeaton: Books[/ame]

-----Added 4/2/2009 at 12:09:08 EST-----

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Spirit-Contours-Christian-Theology/dp/0830815368/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238688441&sr=1-7]Amazon.com: The Holy Spirit (Contours of Christian Theology): Sinclair B. Ferguson: Books[/ame]
    Jim
    1689 LBCF
    Independent Bible Church
    North Texas, USA

Knoxienne is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    The Holy Spirit - Arthur W. Pink
    Toni Cunningham, Wife of Bill (Theognome)
    Parkwoods OPC, Overland Park KS

"Vice is a monster of so frightful mien, As, to be hated, needs but to be seen; Yet seen too oft, familiar with her face, We first endure, then pity, then embrace." ~ Alexander Pope

Dearly Bought is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    The Work of the Holy Spirit by Abraham Kuyper
    (Available free in its entirety online at Google Books)
    Bryan Peters
    Trinity Presbyterian Reformed Church
    Student of Theology Under Care of the Presbyterian Reformed Church
    Johnston, Iowa

The true visible church, where God's ordinances are set up as he hath appointed,
    where his word is purely preached, is the most beautiful thing under heaven,
    and there is God's glory set forth and manifested more clearly than in all the Lord's handiwork beside in heaven or earth.
    ~David Dickson~

FenderPriest is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    John Owen's work on the Holy Spirit in volume's III and IV in his works.
    Jacob
    Sovereign Grace Ministries
    Pastoral Intern
    King of Grace Church
    Manchester, NH

"Grace renews nature; glory perfects grace." ~ John Owen
    "Grace tried is better than grace, and more than grace. It is glory in its infancy." ~ John Flavel
    A Living Oak - Growing In Christ (blog)

By the way, I wouldn't say that there is a dearth of Reformed literature on this subject. It just may be that the Holy Spirit's work is presented in a far different manner than modern charismaticism has influenced us to understand.
    Bryan Peters
    Johnston, Iowa

The true visible church, where God's ordinances are set up as he hath appointed,
    and there is God's glory set forth and manifested more clearly than in all the Lord's handiwork beside in heaven or earth.
    ~David Dickson~

greenbaggins is offline. Administrator
    You know, one of the most helpful things on this is the recent article in the Confessional Presbyterian Journal 4 (2008) on the Holy Spirit. I think it will scratch you just where you're itching. Besides, if you aren't currently subscribing, you're only hurting yourself.
    Rev. Lane Keister
    Teaching Elder, PCA, Winnsboro, SC
    http://greenbaggins.wordpress.com
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by FenderPriest View Post
    John Owen's work on the Holy Spirit in volume's III and IV in his works.
    Here is volume IV of Owen's works on Google Books.

Volume VI of Thomas Goodwin's works is also on Google Books and covers the work of the Holy Spirit.
    Bryan Peters
    Johnston, Iowa

~David Dickson~

JM
    JM is offline. Puritanboard Professor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearly Bought View Post

I second that. I found my copy at a used bookstore for .50 cents.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Work-Holy-Spirit-Abraham-Kuyper/dp/0802881564]Amazon.com: The Work of the Holy Spirit: Abraham Kuyper, Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield, Henri De Vries: Books[/ame]
    Jason
    Particular Baptist
    Ontario, Canada
    twitter
    Feileadh Mor
    YouTube

We must remember that literally all our salvation is in Christ. - Herman Hoeksema

Jon 316 is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Blog Entries
    [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Morning-Holy-Spirit-Benny/dp/0785261265]Good Morning, Holy Spirit: Amazon.co.uk: Benny Hinn: Books[/ame]

kiddin, honestly!

This wee booklet is pretty good

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/baptism-fullness-Holy-Spirit/dp/B0007DOMDQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238690351&sr=1-1]The baptism and fullness of the Holy Spirit: Amazon.co.uk: John R. W Stott: Books[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Showing-Spirit-1-Cor-12-14/dp/0801025214/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238690479&sr=1-2]Showing the Spirit: 1 Cor 12-14: Amazon.co.uk: D.A. Carson: Books[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keep-Step-Spirit-Finding-Fullness/dp/0801065585/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238690513&sr=1-1]Keep in Step with the Spirit: Finding Fullness in…Amazon.co.uk: J. I. Packer: Books[/ame]
    "A dog barks when his master is attacked. I would be a coward if I saw that God's truth is attacked and yet would remain silent." John Calvin

John from Scotland
    Denomination: Attending Baptist church
    Confessional Subscription:London Baptist Confession
    Blog: [url]www.three-streams.co.uk[/url]

Calvinist Cowboy is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    I heard that DA Carson's work Showing the Spirit was very good, so I would heartily second that suggestion.
    Ben Castaneda
    Intern at New Life Presbyterian Church (PCA)
    MDiv student at WSC
    Escondido, CA

"Not all prison bars are made from metal, And not all prisoners walk about in chains." -Lysander from Weatherby, Earl of Gloucester

CalvinandHodges is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Greetings:

One opponent of the Reformed view of the Spirit of God complained that Sinclair Ferguson's book had too many citations of Scripture!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Spirit-Contours-Christian-Theology/dp/0830815368]Amazon.com: The Holy Spirit (Contours of Christian Theology): Sinclair B. Ferguson: Books[/ame]

Blessings,

Rob
    In Essentials Unity, in non-Essentials Liberty, in all things Charity.

Robert Paul Wieland
    RPCNA
    Pittsburgh, PA

Theognome is offline. Burrito Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon 316 View Post

Next time I suggest you post 'Chicken Soup for the Soul'. It's better than Hinn!

Theognome
    Last edited by Theognome; 04-02-2009 at 07:48 PM.
    Bill Cunningham
    Covenant Reformed Church, URC
    Kansas City
    There are three kinds of people- those who can count, and those who can't.

DonP is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Blog Entries
    The Office of the Holy Spirit By Buchanon
    and
    The Work of the Spirit By Octavious Winslow

Deserve honorable mention and are easier to read and shorter works
    DonP

Archlute is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    The dearth is regarding modern Reformed interaction with charismatic ideas and other issues. Calvin, Owen, and older writers, while good in their own way, were not just writing about the Spirit in an ecclesiastical vacuum, but were directly engaging the goings on in their day by interacting with the Scriptures on whatever the issue at hand happened to be.

For example, Owen's work on the Spirit and prayer (volume 3 or 4, I can't remember off the top of my head), even though it has much to commend it generally, was also written directly in relation to the controversy regarding fixed vs. free prayers in the Church. He argued that restricting the prayers of the minister to the Book of Common Prayer, and like forms, hinders the Spirit's work in various ways in the life of the minister and the congregation (closet Charismatic!), and causes our proficiency and ability to pray to atrophy.

However, most of us are not waging battles against a particular ideology in the Church of England! We need writers today who will address today's issues. The best Reformed writing today on subject of the Spirit's person and work will be found in exegetically grounded interactions with modern movements and arguments growing within the Church. Older writers may have points to help us think some of these things through, but writers such as Carson, Stott (from a generation back), and Ferguson are doing what really needs to be done.

Btw, I remember having read a little work authored by John Stott on the filling and fruit of the Spirit some years back that dealt with the then current claims of "second blessing" theology. One thing that I have always liked about Stott is that he is both a very clear, and a very pastorally balanced writer. This book, in so far as I remember, was a great example of that. It was the best volume offered of the required reading for that particular seminary's course on the doctrine of the Holy Spirit, and I would still recommend it today.

Edited to note: Stott's book, The Baptism and Fullness of the Holy Spirit, was mentioned above, but since there wasn't a nifty picture attached, I missed it...
    Archlute

jwithnell is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    It's been a long time since I read this, but I remember it being quite helpful. Vaughan, if memory serves me correctly, was a student of Dabney's.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Gifts-Holy-Spirit-Unbelievers-Believers/dp/0851512224/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238703965&sr=1-3]Amazon.com: The Gifts of the Holy Spirit to Unbelievers and Believers: C. R. Vaughan: Books[/ame]
    JWithnell
    Member Bethel OPC
    Virginia
    http://learningyesican.blogspot.com/
    http://bethelpres.com/

Jon Peters is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by JM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearly Bought View Post

I second that. I found my copy at a used bookstore for .50 cents.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Work-Holy-Spirit-Abraham-Kuyper/dp/0802881564]Amazon.com: The Work of the Holy Spirit: Abraham Kuyper, Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield, Henri De Vries: Books[/ame]
    Jon Peters
    Member, Reformation Fellowship (OPC) (Roseville, CA)
    Folsom, CA

the particular baptist is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    A.W. Pink

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Spirit-Arthur-W-Pink/dp/1604596740/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238705938&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: The Holy Spirit: Arthur W. Pink: Books[/ame]
    Flavio
    Particular Baptist, 1644/46er
    Grace Bible Fellowship
    Bond servant of my Lord Jesus
    Husband to Hanna, father to Nathan, Chloe, Caleb, & Lily

Marrow Man is offline. Drunk with Powder
    This book deals more with the exegetical problems within Pentecostalism, but it is still good. It is available from the Trinity Foundation.

Tim Phillips
    Pastor, Midlane Park Presbyterian Church (ARP)
    Louisville, KY
    Husband of Scottish Lass
    Father of Grace Cameron Phillips
    My Blog: Gairney Bridge
    My Facebook/My Avatar

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Parsifal23 is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    The Holy Spirit by Gorden H. Clark
    Aaron
    Independent Baptist
    Holland MI

Jim-Bob is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Once again I am deeply impressed by the rapidity, thoroughness, variety and levity (Benny Hinn, indeed!) of the PB responders!

-----Added 4/2/2009 at 07:40:27 EST-----

A summary of the recommendations to date:

The Holy Spirit by Gorden H. Clark

The Holy Spirit by Arthur W. Pink

A Theology of the Holy Spirit by F. D. Bruner

The Gifts of the Holy Spirit to Unbelievers and Believers: C. R. Vaughan

The Baptism and Fullness of the Holy Spirit by John Stott

The Office of the Holy Spirit By Buchanon

The Work of the Spirit By Octavious Winslow

The Holy Spirit (Contours of Christian Theology): Sinclair B. Ferguson

Showing the Spirit by D. A. Carson

Keep in Step with The Spirit by J. I. Packer

Volume III and Volume IV of Owen's works on Google Books.

Volume VI of Thomas Goodwin's works is also on Google Books

Doctrine of the Holy Spirit: George Smeaton

The Centrality of the Holy Spirit in Reformed Theology: A Robust Pneumatology. By Shane Lems (See The Confessional Presbyterian)

PCA Historical Center: PCA Pastoral Letter on the Expeience of the Holy Spirit in the Church Today (1975)
    Jim-Bob...The Hillbilly Hebrew. Shalom, Y'all!

Jon 316 is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrow Man View Post
    This book deals more with the exegetical problems within Pentecostalism, but it is still good. It is available from the Trinity Foundation.

This is an excellent book. It was one of my core texts in my undergraduate dissertation on Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

I alo reccomend a book by James Dunn

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Baptism-Holy-Spirit-James-Dunn/dp/0664241409]Amazon.com: Baptism in the Holy Spirit: James D. G. Dunn: Books[/ame]

He is non pentecostal, not sure if he is reformed (I wasnt looking at it from thet perspective). Either way, Dunn is non pentecostal.

-----Added 4/3/2009 at 07:45:10 EST-----

Another good book- from a 'various perspectives point of view is

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Miraculous-Gifts-Today-Wayne-Grudem/dp/0310201551/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238759019&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Are Miraculous Gifts for Today?: Wayne Grudem, Robert Saucy, Richard B. Gaffin, Stanley N. Gundry, Sam Storms, Doug Oss: Books[/ame]

If I remember right, this is a 4 way debate and it explores baptism in Spirit from 4 different perspectives.
    "A dog barks when his master is attacked. I would be a coward if I saw that God's truth is attacked and yet would remain silent." John Calvin

John from Scotland
    Denomination: Attending Baptist church
    Confessional Subscription:London Baptist Confession
    Blog: [url]www.three-streams.co.uk[/url]