Natural Revelation and God's Creation discuss Do Cheetahs Eat Humans? in the Theology forums; I was having this discussion with my brother and we couldn't decide whether Cheetahs eat peoples. I didn't think they did....

ReformedReidian is offline. Puritanboard Doctor

Do Cheetahs Eat Humans?

I was having this discussion with my brother and we couldn't decide whether Cheetahs eat peoples. I didn't think they did.

Jacob
    M.A., Louisiana College
    Studied at RTS Jackson
    ARP, Louisiana

2Kingdomz4Life

My blog: Extra Nos

bookslover is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Only the slow ones...
    Richard Zuelch
    Westminster Presbyterian Church (OPC), Westminster, CA
    www.reiterations.wordpress.com

I, I am He who blots out your transgressions for My own sake, and I will not remember your sins. (Isaiah 43.25)

toddpedlar is offline. Iron Dramatist
    Quote Originally Posted by bookslover View Post
    Only the slow ones...
    reminds me of the old joke...

There were two guys camping in woods. Just after they had crawled into their sleeping bags and nodded off they were awaken by the sound of their campsite being torn apart, punctuated by the frightening roars or an irate and hungry wild animal. Through the tent they could see, cast by the light of the full moon, the shadow of a bear standing upright on its hind legs lumbering towards the tent.

As the bear's claws began ripping through the canvas the first guy throws off his sleeping bag and yells, "It's a bear, run for your life!" The second guy rolls out of his sleeping bag and calmly begins to put on his sneakers. The first guy says, "What are you doing? Are you crazy? Bears can run at 30 mph! Your sneakers won't help you run faster than the bear!" To which the second guy replies, "I don't have to run faster than the bear, I only have to run faster than you."
    Todd K. Pedlar
    member, First Congregational Church, (CCCC) Cresco, IA
    My Blog: In Principio Deus
    24/7 Reformed Internet Radio: Sola5 Radio

"As God did not at first choose you because you were high, He will not now forsake you because you are low."
    John Flavel in Keeping the Heart

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Joining PB's Politics & Government Forum

Timothy William is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    I first read that joke in, of all things, an economics textbook on price theory.

Humans would probably be a bit larger and heavier than a cheetah's usual prey, which I would guess would be around 40-50 kgs. I'd be fairly sure they could take down a human if they wanted to though. Leopards, a larger cousin, can kill and carry prey three times their own bodyweight.
    T W Hopper
    Member, Presbyterian Reformed Church
    Currently between churches since PRC closed here - attending Crossroads Christian Church.
    Canberra, Australia.

Bladestunner316 is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    To honestly answer your question. Im not sure they do. Maybe in self defense they would attack a human naturally. Like all big cats they may go after a human who is ill/injured or who looks weak.

Cheetahs are also the most dog like of the cats.
    Cheetah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Nathan Olaf Brandal

"Man is nothing: he hath a free will to go to hell, but none to go to heaven, till God worketh in him to will and to do his good pleasure"
    GEORGE WHITEFIELD TO JOHN WESLEY

My Blog

Herald is offline. Moderator
    Everyone knows Cheetahs eat Cheetos.

Bill Brown
    Elder
    Grace Baptist Church
    Student at Midwest Center for Theological Studies

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Anton Bruckner is offline. Puritanboard Professor
    I'm sure there is some wierdo that post a cheetah eating a human on youtube, or at least killing one and having a mouthful.
    ~Keon Garraway~ Brooklyn, NY Member of Franklin Square OPC

Love for God demonstrated by the love for our children in giving them a God centered education is the only hope for our country. by David Morrow
    Pslam 71:20 [Thou], which hast shewed me great and sore troubles, shalt quicken me again, and shalt bring me up again from the depths of the earth.

Semper Fidelis is offline. 2 Timothy 2:24-25
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spear Dane View Post
    I was having this discussion with my brother and we couldn't decide whether Cheetahs eat peoples. I didn't think they did.

Depends on the size. My wife and her friend went to the San Diego Zoo about 5 years ago when James was < 1 year old. As they walked quietly into one of those shows with wild cats a bit late they had a Cheeta on stage. Sonya immediately noticed the Cheeta had a laser focus on James and his friend Caleb (same age). The trainer commented to the people whether they all noticed how the Cheeta was focused on the little children.

I don't think they'd go after a grown man but they would probably go after a small child or woman. It's the same reason why you normally only hear of mountain lions attacking small kids but not adults.

In Camp Pendleton, CA there are a lot of back trails that are great for running. My friend, Jay, and I used to run on them together nearly every morning. It was a bit disconcerting when packs of 3-4 Coyotes would run next to us but we were never too afraid as we're too big for them to attack. I was always a bit nervous about mountain lions but we never saw them.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddpedlar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bookslover View Post
    Only the slow ones...
    reminds me of the old joke...

There were two guys camping in woods. Just after they had crawled into their sleeping bags and nodded off they were awaken by the sound of their campsite being torn apart, punctuated by the frightening roars or an irate and hungry wild animal. Through the tent they could see, cast by the light of the full moon, the shadow of a bear standing upright on its hind legs lumbering towards the tent.

As the bear's claws began ripping through the canvas the first guy throws off his sleeping bag and yells, "It's a bear, run for your life!" The second guy rolls out of his sleeping bag and calmly begins to put on his sneakers. The first guy says, "What are you doing? Are you crazy? Bears can run at 30 mph! Your sneakers won't help you run faster than the bear!" To which the second guy replies, "I don't have to run faster than the bear, I only have to run faster than you."
    Do you remember that commercial a few years back - I think it was a beer commercial. Two men are in a camp and a bear comes up on them reared back and ready to attack. One of the guys picks up a bottle and says "Look! Honey!", squirts it on his friend and runs away. It's hilarious.
    Rich
    Ruling Elder, Licentiate, Under Care, Hope of Christ Church (PCA), Northern VA
    Student, New Geneva Theological Seminary

WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to build and promote your web site.
    SoliDeoGloria.com - A Community for Reformed Thought and Discussion

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?