Natural Revelation and God's Creation discuss Dating of the World and the Jewish Calender in the Theology forums; correct me if I am wrong here. The Jewish Calender says that it is the year 5765. In the Book of Exodus this Calender commenced ...

Anton Bruckner is offline. Puritanboard Professor

Dating of the World and the Jewish Calender

correct me if I am wrong here. The Jewish Calender says that it is the year 5765.

In the Book of Exodus this Calender commenced Exodus - Chapter 12

Exd 12:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses and Aaron in the land of Egypt, saying,

Exd 12:2 This month [shall be] unto you the beginning of months: it [shall be] the first month of the year to you.

Now supposing that the Jewish year is correct and it continued from the Exodus, wouldn't that make the Exodus to have occured around 3765 B.C. And if this is so, wouldn't it push the age of the earth a little back from the 6000 yr marking.
    ~Keon Garraway~ Brooklyn, NY Member of Franklin Square OPC

Love for God demonstrated by the love for our children in giving them a God centered education is the only hope for our country. by David Morrow
    Pslam 71:20 [Thou], which hast shewed me great and sore troubles, shalt quicken me again, and shalt bring me up again from the depths of the earth.

tcalbrecht is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Originally posted by Slippery
    correct me if I am wrong here. The Jewish Calender says that it is the year 5765.

In the Book of Exodus this Calender commenced Exodus - Chapter 12

Exd 12:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses and Aaron in the land of Egypt, saying,

Exd 12:2 This month [shall be] unto you the beginning of months: it [shall be] the first month of the year to you.

Now supposing that the Jewish year is correct and it continued from the Exodus, wouldn't that make the Exodus to have occured around 3765 B.C. And if this is so, wouldn't it push the age of the earth a little back from the 6000 yr marking.
    The Jewish calendar begins with creation, not the Exodus.

Exodus 12:2 defines the first month of the Jewish year. However, the Jewish New Year, Rosh Hoshanah, is the seventh month.
    Tom Albrecht
    Grace & Peace PCA, Pottstown, PA.

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

ok. roger that.

Love for God demonstrated by the love for our children in giving them a God centered education is the only hope for our country. by David Morrow
    Pslam 71:20 [Thou], which hast shewed me great and sore troubles, shalt quicken me again, and shalt bring me up again from the depths of the earth.

gwine is offline. Inactive User
    James Ussher (1581-1656), Archbishop of Armagh puts the day of creation on October 23 (a Sunday) 4004 B.C. Nobody knows the hour, though . . .

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/ussher.htm
    Gerry Winebrenner
    member [url=http://www.ticon.net/~cpcopc/][color=blue]Christ Presbyterian Church (OPC)[/color][/url]
    Janesville WI

Psalm 95:6-7
    [i]Oh come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before the LORD, our Maker!
    For he is our God, and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand.[/i]

VirginiaHuguenot is offline. Puritanboard Librarian
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by gwine
    James Ussher (1581-1656), Archbishop of Armagh puts the day of creation on October 23 (a Sunday) 4004 B.C. Nobody knows the hour, though . . .

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/ussher.htm
    Many quote Ussher as saying that creation began at 9 am, however the article notes that the correct source for this statement is John Lightfoot.
    Andrew

TimV is offline. Puritanboard Botanist
    The "leap years" in Jewish history were calculated differently and by different organisations throughout their history, so we just can't be that accurate.

Has this topic been covered here yet? It's interesting. Occasionally a day or two or three were just simply not counted, to keep the harvest festival etc.. at the right time and season.

Although I find the good Bishop's numbers handy
    Tim Vaughan
    Member, Redeemer Presbyterian, OPC,
    Santa Maria
    California

Now, my question that was piggy backing on this one.

How are we to reconcile History that is stated to be around 5000 B.C and 4000 B.C, are we to determine that they are all cultural myths.

I heard Hank said that the generations leading to Christ are not to be taken as absolute, implying that there could have been using the Skipping Method to keep the History handy in the memory of the Jews.

Sorry fellas, its just that when I see Egypt Divided into Old Kingdom and Middle Kingdom etc it kinda puzzles the heck out of me.

TimV is offline. Puritanboard Botanist
    Hey Keon!

I'd not give in to the "skip" theory. If you give up one point of our traditional belief that Scripture is true, then the dam breaks!!

Best to you.
    Tim
    Tim Vaughan
    Member, Redeemer Presbyterian, OPC,
    Santa Maria
    California

LadyFlynt is offline. Inactive User
    I don't go for the skip theory either...Hank uses it because he doesn't believe in a young earth (I don't think anyhow, I think he combines evolution and creation using the "intellegient design" theory...correct me if I'm wrong). Personally, unless it's on the cults and abberations, I don't listen to anything Hank has to say. Infact, to be plumb honest with you, he grates on my nerves BIG TIME!
    JC - PCA - PA...homesick for SC
    A we n' de Ya, ho; I mak sikker; Deus juvat

Indicabo tibi o homo quid sit bonum, et quid Dominus requirat a te: Utique facere iudicium, et diligere, misericordiam, et sollicitum ambulare cum Deo tuo. Michaeas 6:8

"Who says you can't go back, been all around the world and as a matter of fact. There's only one place left I want to go, who says you can't go home" Bon Jovi

Puritan Sailor is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Originally posted by Slippery
    Now, my question that was piggy backing on this one.

How are we to reconcile History that is stated to be around 5000 B.C and 4000 B.C, are we to determine that they are all cultural myths.
    We only have about 3000 years of recorded history in the archeological record (outside of Scripture). The rest is all implied, depending on your presuppositions. I have no problem accepting the biblical dates as is. The first 11 chapters of Genesis tell us everything we need to know about how the ancients could accomplish what they did.
    Patrick
    MDiv, RTS Jackson
    Pastor, Grace Presbyterian Church (OPC), Lisbon, NY

"He does well, that discourses of Christ; but he does infinitely better, that by experimental knowledge, feeds and lives on Christ." Thomas Brooks.
    "Let us not please ourselves that we have deep understandings, but let us shew our understandings by our practice." Richard Sibbes

Puritan Sailor is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Oh, and Hank is not an evolutionist. He wrote a book refuting evolution, The Face that Demonstrates the Farce of Evolution.
    Patrick
    MDiv, RTS Jackson
    Pastor, Grace Presbyterian Church (OPC), Lisbon, NY

"He does well, that discourses of Christ; but he does infinitely better, that by experimental knowledge, feeds and lives on Christ." Thomas Brooks.
    "Let us not please ourselves that we have deep understandings, but let us shew our understandings by our practice." Richard Sibbes