Natural Revelation and God's Creation discuss Any comments on Kent Hovind? in the Theology forums; I have recently watched Kent Hovind's creation series. He is very obviously dispensational and KJ only but some of what he said seemed to make ...

Shane is offline. Puritanboard Freshman

Any comments on Kent Hovind?

I have recently watched Kent Hovind's creation series.
    He is very obviously dispensational and KJ only but some of what he said seemed to make allot of sense.

Any Comments?
    Shane
    Emmanuel Church
    Port Elizabeth, South Africa

"The most damnable and pernicious heresy that has ever plagued the mind of man was the idea that somehow he could make himself good enough to deserve to live with an all Holy God" - Martin Luther

Charismatic Calvinist is offline. Inactive User
    I stumbled across Hovind about four years ago. In all honesty, I hated dinsaurs up until that point. A buddy of mind kicked me several of his Seminar Series (The Hovind Theory was mind blowing!) and it just lit me up. Dispy-ness aside, I think his resources (available at www.drdino.com & www.dinosauradventureland.com) are awesome for any Christian that wants to have the guns to blast the academic Darwinist in the face. Incredile witnessing tools for the "science-minded" unregenerate man & the kids will love it too.
    Chuck Stoltz
    Intercessory Missionary
    International House of Prayer
    Kansas City, Missouri

[i]"Set me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm; for love is as strong as death, jealousy as cruel as the grave; its flames are flames of fire, a most vehement flame. Many waters cannot quench love, nor can the floods drown it. If a man would give for love all the wealth of his house, it would be utterly despised." (Song of Solomon 7:6-7)[/i]

Shane is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    That is my feeling as well as far as the Bible vs Evoultion side goes as well. His arguments were pretty impressive and I even downloaded a few of his debates.

I just wonder a bit about the theology side though and he seems to be a bit far out with the new world order thing.
    Shane
    Emmanuel Church
    Port Elizabeth, South Africa

"The most damnable and pernicious heresy that has ever plagued the mind of man was the idea that somehow he could make himself good enough to deserve to live with an all Holy God" - Martin Luther

Authorised is offline. Inactive User
    I think he makes some good points, but he is utterly mocked on atheist webboards. However, he always does well in a debate. Some of those are found on sermonaudio as well.

I think he tends to carry some baggage, however, because he reccomends the site which Gail Riplinger owns (AVPublications), he is Dispy Baptist KJVO, and he also is friends with Jack Chick. He has also been accused of disobeying the civil magistrate in his local Escambia county over the issue of his refusal to pay a fee of $50. This was documented and admitted on his web site at one time, but the articles have now been taken down, though I did find other info which can be found here

and here

I've watched his seminars, which I think are good information, but perhaps someone looking into creationism would find equally good resources at http://www.answersingenesis.org/ which, to me, is more reputable.

edit: It appears that he was also accused of felony charges of assault and battery and burglary, which were later withdrawn by the plaintiff.

[Edited on 8-1-2005 by Authorised]
    Aaron Cowart
    member, Covenant PCA
    Houston, TX

Student at Southeast Missouri State University (SEMO)
    Cape Girardeau, MO

"The hypocrite's religion is divine in name, but human in deed."

-Richard Baxter

Joshua is offline. _
    Blog Entries
    I like his cheesey corny humor!
    Josh
    CCRPC, RPCGA
    The Lord doth build up Jerusalem: he gathereth together the outcasts of Israel. He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds. - Ps. 147

Ivan is offline. Pastor
    Originally posted by joshua
    I like his cheesey corny humor!
    Yup. Funny guy.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Ivan Schoen ~ [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]The Church in [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Poplar Grove, IL[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]=================================[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [LEFT][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]"As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives." ~ Henry David Thoreau[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][/LEFT]
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

InSixDays is offline. Inactive User
    I love his humor. Some of his stuff is valuable for beginning creationists but it isn't very deep on a whole. His modified Hydroplate Theory (Hovind Theory) has a lot of problems to it, his Garden of Eden tape has a bunch of problems scientifically.

He pushes Ron Wyatt's information heavily (Wyatt claims to have found the Ark of the COvenant, the real Red Sea Crossing, Noah's Ark, Noah's House, the bones of Noah's wife, Sodom and Gamorrah and numerious other biblical treasures, the evidence for which will be revealed when God tells his organization "the time is right"), despite Wyatt's being a complete fraud (can you imagine keeping treasures of that magnitude in your garage as Wyatt claimed before he died?).

His section on the New World Order is unadulterated and questionable conspiracy-theory stuff stemming from his premillenial tendencies.

Other than that, he's pretty good and valuable to use with a grain of salt. I particularly like his tape on dinosaurs.

Just be aware that if you use his information or even mention his name, no sceptic is ever going to take you seriously (they may die from fits of laughter, however).

I agree with Authorised that Answers in Genesis is far more reputable. They are a valuable sourse to compare against Hovind. Here is their review of Hovind.

[Edited on 1-11-2005 by InSixDays]
    Adam T. Ross
    Covenant Presbyterian Church, PCA, (Parkersburg, WV)
    Marietta College, student, Marietta, Ohio

My Blogs: [url]http://www.theologicaltruths.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.creationtruths.blogspot.com[/url]

"A God who ‘created’ by evolution is, for all practical purposes, indistinguishable from no God at all."--Dr. Jonathan Sarfati, Refuting Evolution, 1999, pg. 22

LaMontre is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Nice to see some support for him.

One Christian board I post on regularly has nothing good to say about him personally.

They attack him based on his character only though. There is very little one can argue against in his presentations.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) scientific evidence is interpretive.
    Rick Zimmerman
    No Denominational Affiliation
    Ft. Worth Tx

ReformedReidian is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Originally posted by LaMontre

Fortunately (or unfortunately) scientific evidence is interpretive.
    Jacob
    M.A., Louisiana College
    Studied at RTS Jackson
    ARP, Louisiana

2Kingdomz4Life

My blog: Extra Nos

Reformingstudent is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Originally posted by Shane
    I have recently watched Kent Hovind's creation series.
    He is very obviously dispensational and KJ only but some of what he said seemed to make allot of sense.

Any Comments?
    I think he is closer to truth than Hugh Ross is. http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2002/0821ross.asp

Hugh Ross teaches Progressive Creationism, something I don't believe is biblical.
    Tom Mitchell
    Opp, AL
    Member of First Presbyterian Church PCA Florala, AL

O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin
    Romans 7:24,25
    www.myspace.com/tom_mitchell1960
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=607055102

king of fools is offline. Puritanboard Freshman

Ron Wyatt

Originally posted by InSixDays

He pushes Ron Wyatt's information heavily (Wyatt claims to have found the Ark of the COvenant, the real Red Sea Crossing, Noah's Ark, Noah's House, the bones of Noah's wife, Sodom and Gamorrah and numerious other biblical treasures, the evidence for which will be revealed when God tells his organization "the time is right"), despite Wyatt's being a complete fraud (can you imagine keeping treasures of that magnitude in your garage as Wyatt claimed before he died?).
    I recently came across some of Ron Wyatt's stuff. His claims are definately larger than life. Is the overwhelming concensous that his claims are exagerations?
    Steve
    Heritage Baptist Church
    Mansfield, TX

Founded on the Rock is offline. Inactive User
    I have listened to Hovind's debate against Farell Till and I felt Till whipped up on him... If memory serves correctly, Hovind was defending that every act in the story of Noah was scientifically defensable. Part of their problem could have been on definitions but I was under the impression that Hovind agreed with Till on the definition of science. Til's definition was naturalistic and so obviously anything that Hovind argues from their is pointless.

That is just my analysis of a debate that I remember with Hovind. His arguments have never seemed that attractive to me (regarding literal six day creation). Though I do believe he does a pretty good job with his presentation. Just my

I think that you can find the debate on Sermon Audio and search Hovind or Farell Till.
    Brandon Addison

Member- Michiana Covenant Presbyterian Church
    Granger, IN ([url]http://www.michianacovenant.org/[/url])

Attending and serving the youth @- Christ Church Pasadena Pasadena, CA ([url]www.christchurch.la[/url])