See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Baptism discuss Reformed Credo-Baptist Denominations. in the Theology forums; I know many on here will think "reformed credo-baptist" a oxymoron so please bare with me. Do there tend to be any denominations that hold ...

Quatchu is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore

Reformed Credo-Baptist Denominations.

I know many on here will think "reformed credo-baptist" a oxymoron so please bare with me. Do there tend to be any denominations that hold to the credo position and are reformed, the only one I can really think of is the ARBCA, besides that are there any credo denominations remotely reformed? I know SBC and others have reformed credo's in the mix.
    Justin Clarke
    Member of New Life Presbyterian Church (PCA)
    La Mesa, CA
    MDiv Student at Westminster Seminary California

From
    Parrsboro, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Living In San Diego

KMK
    KMK is offline. Moderator
    Congregationalists/Baptists don't do 'denominations'. Some of them allow for 'associations' (like ARBCA) and some don't. That is why you find few RB associations and absolutely no denominations. See founders.org for RB churches within SBC.

Village Community Church of Wrightwood

Transformation Ministries

"Preparing a sermon is like cooking a meal. You need pots and pans and utensils, but you don't bring them out to the table where people are eating." Derek Thomas

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

LawrenceU is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Some would say that Sovereign Grace Ministries, think C.J. Mahaney, would fit that bill. They are Calvinistic, but not really reformed. They are definitely a denomination.
    'There's nae jouking in the cause of Christ' - James Guthrie

We shall not adjust our Bible to the age; but before we have done with it, by God's grace, we shall adjust the age to the Bible. - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    Pastor - Providence Family Fellowship / Mobile, Alabama
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice

JonathanHunt is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    I think I'd agree with that, Lawrence. Definately credobaptist, probably a denomination... but I'm not sure just how strict the centralised authority is...?
    Jonathan Hunt

Pastor, Morton Baptist Church Thornbury, South Gloucestershire, United Kingdom since 2012

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence. -- Thomas Elsworth

*Please note* I've been a member of this board for over ten years. Things I wrote in 2004 and intervening years do not neccessarily represent my attitudes or positions now. Thank you!

PuritanCovenanter is offline. The Norseman Moderator
    Blog Entries
    The Free Prebyterian Church hold to both credo and paedo baptism.....

From their Articles of Faith....

Free Presbyterian Church - FPC Articles of Faith

6. God has appointed besides the Word and Prayer the Sacraments of Baptism and the Lord's Supper.

6a. Baptism -- The Free Presbyterian Church of Ulster, under Christ the Great King and Head of the Church, Realizing that bitter controversy raging around the mode and proper subjects of the ordinance of Christian baptism has divided the Body of Christ when that Body should have been united in Christian love and Holy Ghost power to stem the onslaughts and hell-inspired assaults of modernism, hereby affirms that each member of the Free Presbyterian Church shall have liberty to decide for himself which course to adopt on these controverted issues, each member giving due honor in love to the views held by differing brethren, but none espousing the error of baptismal regeneration.

Norseman Moderator

Randy Martin Snyder
    RPCNA Covenanter's Blog

"Our object should not be to have scripture on our side but to be on the side of scripture; and however dear any sentiment may have become by being long entertained, so soon as it is seen to be contrary to the Bible, we must be prepared to abandon it without hesitation."
    William Symington

RSI FacebookReformation Society of Indiana
    Twitter RPCNACovenanter
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions? -- Joining PB Politics and Government Forums

Interesting about the FPC. Do they have a presence in NA, from there website they seemed to only be in Ireland and the UK?
    Justin Clarke
    La Mesa, CA

From
    Living In San Diego

Blog Entries
    Free Presbyterian Church of North America - Separated Unto The Gospel

They are in North America also. One of the best men I have ever known is a member of this fine denomination.

Free Presbyterian Church of North America - Home

Norseman Moderator

Randy Martin Snyder
    RPCNA Covenanter's Blog

"Our object should not be to have scripture on our side but to be on the side of scripture; and however dear any sentiment may have become by being long entertained, so soon as it is seen to be contrary to the Bible, we must be prepared to abandon it without hesitation."
    William Symington

Twitter RPCNACovenanter
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions? -- Joining PB Politics and Government Forums

lynnie is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    The Bible Fellowship churches:

Articles of Faith
    Lynnie

Attending Maranatha Christian Fellowship

Central NJ

KMK
    Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceU View Post
    Some would say that Sovereign Grace Ministries, think C.J. Mahaney, would fit that bill. They are Calvinistic, but not really reformed. They are definitely a denomination.
    I would be one of those that would say SGM is Calvinistic and 'baptistic', but not 'Reformed Baptist'. But I understand what you are getting at.

"Preparing a sermon is like cooking a meal. You need pots and pans and utensils, but you don't bring them out to the table where people are eating." Derek Thomas

Pilgrim is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    There is the Fellowship of Reformed Evangelicals (FIRE) as well.
    Chris
    Currently seeking a church--in transition
    One Pilgrims Progress |Twitter

And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come. Luke 19:13

Thanks everyone. I find the more and more I study the more I find myself holding to very Presbyterian ideas, sacraments, polity and basically everything else. Yet I'am still very firm in my credo convictions. In fact if it was not for that one thing I would go Presbyterian in a heartbeat.
    Justin Clarke
    La Mesa, CA

From
    Living In San Diego

Micah Everett is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by Quatchu View Post
    Thanks everyone. I find the more and more I study the more I find myself holding to very Presbyterian ideas, sacraments, polity and basically everything else. Yet I'am still very firm in my credo convictions. In fact if it was not for that one thing I would go Presbyterian in a heartbeat.
    There are lots of folks in that boat, I would wager. Some of us, after much prayer and study, finally "took the plunge." (That expression really doesn't work here, does it?)
    Micah Everett
    PCA
    Taylor, MS

KMK
    Worse things could happen!

1 member(s) found this post helpful.

Curt is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    As someone who is Presbyterian in belief and serving a Baptist congregation, I can eel your pain (well, it's not really a lot of pain). The man who originally asked me to candidate for this congregation, in response to my statement, "but I'm not a Baptist," said, "They need a pastor more than they need a Baptist."
    Curt Lovelace
    Director, Lifework Forum
    Somewhere in New England, USA

Attending New Boston Baptist Church, New Boston NH

webpage at JCurtisLovelace.com
    Author: Children in Church: Nurturing Hearts of Worship
    http://www.childreninchurch.com

LawrenceU is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    As someone who is Presbyterian in belief and serving a Baptist congregation, I can eel your pain (well, it's not really a lot of pain). The man who originally asked me to candidate for this congregation, in response to my statement, "but I'm not a Baptist," said, "They need a pastor more than they need a Baptist."
    That is precisely the same reasoning that led me to an Assembly of God congregation. I was there five years. It was a time of great blessing and trial. Sometimes the Lord will cause us to see just how big and different his Body really is.
    'There's nae jouking in the cause of Christ' - James Guthrie

We shall not adjust our Bible to the age; but before we have done with it, by God's grace, we shall adjust the age to the Bible. - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    Pastor - Providence Family Fellowship / Mobile, Alabama
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice

Blog Entries
    Me too Justin.

Norseman Moderator

Randy Martin Snyder
    RPCNA Covenanter's Blog

William Symington

Twitter RPCNACovenanter

tcalbrecht is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceU View Post
    I would not call SGM a denomination. The individual congregations are all independent of one another. There are no ecclesiastical gatherings/courts/bodies above the local church. There appears to be little if any accountability among the local churches.

They have a quirky polity which makes them ripe for abuse. They are neither congregational nor presbyterial. E.g., the congregation has no say in choosing its leadership. Pastors == elders who are not chosen by the congregation.

Then there is the SGM national leadership which looks to be run more like a business model than having a true ecclesiastical relationship to the churches. When it comes to “denominational” matters, what CJ and the top team says pretty much goes. Are they even considered “pastors” any longer?
    Tom Albrecht
    Attending Grace & Peace PCA, Pottstown, PA.

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

torstar is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah Everett View Post
    There are lots of folks in that boat, I would wager. Some of us, after much prayer and study, finally "took the plunge." (That expression really doesn't work here, does it?)

Acceptance of the distinctives in the sacraments wasn't even a 2 second thought for the conversion to a confessional Truly Reformed faith.
    Kent
    URCNA
    Toronto

C. M. Sheffield is offline now. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Blog Entries
    In fact if it was not for that one thing I would go Presbyterian in a heartbeat.
    This fact has often led me to appreciate those few denominations and associations which make allowance for both views. I'm aware of all the problems associated with this concept, believe me, I am. But O how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity. My heart longs for it. And this adds ferver to my hope of heaven.

I love my Reformed paedobaptist brethren so that it pains me to think that we can not abide under one proverbial roof. But it is an unfortunate reality of the present age.

ericfromcowtown is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by PuritanCovenanter View Post
    The Free Prebyterian Church hold to both credo and paedo baptism.....

From their Articles of Faith....

Free Presbyterian Church - FPC Articles of Faith

6. God has appointed besides the Word and Prayer the Sacraments of Baptism and the Lord's Supper.

6a. Baptism -- The Free Presbyterian Church of Ulster, under Christ the Great King and Head of the Church, Realizing that bitter controversy raging around the mode and proper subjects of the ordinance of Christian baptism has divided the Body of Christ when that Body should have been united in Christian love and Holy Ghost power to stem the onslaughts and hell-inspired assaults of modernism, hereby affirms that each member of the Free Presbyterian Church shall have liberty to decide for himself which course to adopt on these controverted issues, each member giving due honor in love to the views held by differing brethren, but none espousing the error of baptismal regeneration.
    A member of our church had been with the Free Presbyterian Church (there's one in Calgary, Alberta). I can't remember if it was from speaking with him, or from an old post on the PB, but my understanding was that although the Free Presbyterians as a denomination allow for both credo and paedo positions, each congregation is effectively one or the other.
    Eric
    PCA
    Calgary, Alberta CANADA

Matthias is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ericfromcowtown View Post
    A member of our church had been with the Free Presbyterian Church (there's one in Calgary, Alberta). I can't remember if it was from speaking with him, or from an old post on the PB, but my understanding was that although the Free Presbyterians as a denomination allow for both credo and paedo positions, each congregation is effectively one or the other.
    I attend the Penticton FPC here in British Columbia. Each congregation is not effectively one or the other, each congregation is composed of brethren that differ on the matter. Im not 100% sure but I think my congregation is about 50-50 split on the issue. (If I had to guess) The percentages of credo vs paedobaptists would differ from congregation to congregation, but it my understanding that it is rare to find a FPC congregation that is 100% one way or the other.
    Jeffrey Wilson
    Guisachan Fellowship Baptist Church
    London Baptist Confession of Faith 1644
    Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
    "If ever a monk got to heaven by monkery, I ought to have gotten there!" Martin Luther

ericfromcowtown is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    I attend the Penticton FPC here in British Columbia. Each congregation is not effectively one or the other, each congregation is composed of brethren that differ on the matter. Im not 100% sure but I think my congregation is about 50-50 split on the issue. (If I had to guess) The percentages of credo vs paedobaptists would differ from congregation to congregation, but it my understanding that it is rare to find a FPC congregation that is 100% one way or the other.
    Thank you for the clarification.
    Eric
    PCA
    Calgary, Alberta CANADA

Matthias is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for the clarification.
    No prob
    Jeffrey Wilson
    Guisachan Fellowship Baptist Church
    London Baptist Confession of Faith 1644
    Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
    "If ever a monk got to heaven by monkery, I ought to have gotten there!" Martin Luther

Herald is offline. Moderator
    Justin,

In trying to answer the specifics of your question, there short answer is that there are no Reformed denominations that are credobaptist-only. Randy mentioned the F.C.S. While they allow for credobaptist belief they are not credobaptist-only. SGM churches are credobaptist but they are not Reformed. Baptist churches are not a denomination because of their independent polity. This includes all ARBCA member churches.
    Bill Brown
    Elder
    Grace Baptist Church
    Student at Midwest Center for Theological Studies

Jeffriesw is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah Everett View Post
    I am also in the same boat so to speak, I am in the middle of study and prayer and finding out I was not near as solid in my baptistic convictions as I thought I was, I was more there by default. (Does that make sense?)
    Bill Jeffries
    Husband to Nora
    Father to Billy (29) and Josh (23)
    Father in Law to Trina (27)
    Grandfather to Ruth Anne (01-09-2013)
    Communicant Member of Tampa Bay Presbyterian Church (PCA)

Philippians 1:6 For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

kodos is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Same here - I was once strongly in the credo-baptist position, but ever since I saw how Reformed churches get so much else right, I started studying covenant theology, etc. Now I find myself defending the paedo-baptist position and find that I will probably be making the move to a PCA church.

We also like the way that Reformed churches treat the family unit as a .. unit.

Sonny is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Blog Entries
    Brother just three months ago I was a Credo guy my self. So I spoke with my Pastor (PCA Pastor) on this issue I had. He made some wise and thought provoking statements that helped me see predo as a biblical stance. If you want to talk about this with a former credo only guy, just send me a message.
    Chris
    Salem Presbyterian (A church plant of the Redeemer Presbyterian network)
    PCA
    North Carolina
    http://spjourney.wordpress.com/
    http://salemws.org/

beej6 is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    I have heard of one Reformed church which also accepts either scruple with regards to baptism, non denominational I think (which leads me to believe it started out as Baptist but don't quote me).

Its great to see that I'am not alone in these feelings. For along time I did not for the life of me understand the paedo position but back in September I heard R.C. Sprouls defence of it and I finnally understood. I found myself really seeing how people can believe in the paedo side, and I find that i even defend it when talking with other baptists. My entire Christian walk the one thing that Ive struggles with is baptism. Part of me wants to go paedo because I see a certain beauty and symmetry with the position and I feel it really intertwines with scripture, but I want my reasons to be God and not because it sounds good too me. Also although Ive been convinced that the paedo position could be legitimate,I have not felt completely unconvinced of the credo side of things. Before becoming reformed I felt a call to ministry and I still feel equally if not more convinced of my calling, If it was not for this call I would normally attend a Presbyterian Church and still remain credo, but I feel that I need to set straight my views on baptism and its turning out not to be too simple.
    Justin Clarke
    La Mesa, CA

From
    Living In San Diego