Seminaries, Colleges & Education discuss Luther Rice Bible College and Seminary??? in the Educational Forums forums; Can anyone tell me anything about Luther Rice Seminary? Are they dispensational? Thanks!...

Jerusalem Blade is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    Blog Entries

Luther Rice Bible College and Seminary???

Can anyone tell me anything about Luther Rice Seminary? Are they dispensational?

Thanks!
    Steve Rafalsky
    Member, Queens Presbyterian Church, Astoria (PCA)
    Queens, New York
    USA

"I am set for the defense of the gospel" (Philippians 1:17)

"Strengthened with all might, according to His glorious
    power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness...
    " (Colossians 1:11)

Jerusalem Blade's PB Blog; Collected Textual Posts, Eschatology, and Misc.
    Lightning Sword: Journal of the Apokalypse

R. Scott Clark is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    I'm not certain about their theology but one of the first things I learned I arrived here in '97 to serve as academic dean was: "We don't accept transfer credits from Luther Rice."

Fiat.

FWIW.

Jerusalem Blade is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, Scott!
    Steve Rafalsky
    Member, Queens Presbyterian Church, Astoria (PCA)
    Queens, New York
    USA

"I am set for the defense of the gospel" (Philippians 1:17)

"Strengthened with all might, according to His glorious
    power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness...
    " (Colossians 1:11)

Jerusalem Blade's PB Blog; Collected Textual Posts, Eschatology, and Misc.
    Lightning Sword: Journal of the Apokalypse

Reformed Baptist is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    They are dispensational and Arminian, though there may be 1 or 2 calvinists on staff. I was enrolled there for awhile. It's a typical baptist/evangelical seminary education.
    Geoff/Reformed Baptist
    Acworth, GA
    John 6:37
    All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

puritanpilgrim is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    I don't think they are accredited.
    Aaron Josh Wright
    Grace Family Baptist, Spring TX
    http://www.sermonaudio.com/search.as...d=Aaron_Wright

Pilgrim is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Chris
    Currently seeking a church--in transition
    One Pilgrims Progress |Twitter

And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come. Luke 19:13

puritanpilgrim is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    I stand corrected.
    Aaron Josh Wright
    Grace Family Baptist, Spring TX
    http://www.sermonaudio.com/search.as...d=Aaron_Wright

Pilgrim is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Quote Originally Posted by puritanpilgrim View Post
    I stand corrected.
    I had thought they were unaccredited as well until I looked up, and I don't know how long they have been accredited.
    Chris
    Currently seeking a church--in transition
    One Pilgrims Progress |Twitter

And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come. Luke 19:13

2 Tim 4:2 is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    More than ten years for sure. But it is the tracs accreditation. I understand they are working on their sacs accreditation.
    Pastor Mark A. Mitchell
    Senior Pastor/ Second Chance Baptist Church
    SBC Affiliated
    Wauchula Florida

When folks say "accredited" they usually mean the regional agency such as central states or western association of schools and colleges or the like or ATS.

I've heard that TRACS is trying to improve but it used to be regarded as a second-rate agency for those schools that can't get an actual accreditation.

I would be wary.

rsc

Ivan is offline. Pastor
    Did you know Charles Stanley got his doctorate from Luther Rice?
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Ivan Schoen ~ [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]The Church in [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Poplar Grove, IL[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]=================================[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [LEFT][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]"As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives." ~ Henry David Thoreau[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][/LEFT]
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Among the more distinguished alumni.

The prosecution rests.

rsc

Ivan is offline. Pastor
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Scott Clark View Post
    Among the more distinguished alumni.

The prosecution rests.

rsc

[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Ivan Schoen ~ [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]The Church in [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Poplar Grove, IL[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]=================================[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [LEFT][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]"As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives." ~ Henry David Thoreau[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][/LEFT]
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Ivan is offline. Pastor
    This is interesting...from John Armstrong's bio:

He earned the D. Min degree (1979) at Luther Rice Seminary, Atlanta, Georgia.
    I wonder who else has graduated from Luther Rice.
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Ivan is offline. Pastor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    I wonder who else has graduated from Luther Rice.
    To answer my own question....

I'm sure there are many more but here's a short list:

Jerry Vines
    John Ankerberg
    Dorothy Patterson (wife of Paige Patterson, President of SWBTS)
    Charles Stanley
    John Armstrong

It's just odd to me to see Armstrong's name in that list.
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

2 Tim 4:2 is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Scott Clark View Post
    When folks say "accredited" they usually mean the regional agency such as central states or western association of schools and colleges or the like or ATS.

I've heard that TRACS is trying to improve but it used to be regarded as a second-rate agency for those schools that can't get an actual accreditation.

I would be wary.

rsc

Being considered second rate does not take away from the fact that an agency has awarded them accreditation. The tracs accreditation is accepted by other regionally accredited schools and qualifies for government loans. And to answer the op they are dispensational.
    Pastor Mark A. Mitchell
    Senior Pastor/ Second Chance Baptist Church
    SBC Affiliated
    Wauchula Florida

Broadus is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Luther Rice's accrediting agency is TRACS, a nationally-accrediting agency recognized by both the USDE and CHEA. Luther Rice has made at least two attempts at regional accreditation (SACS), but both were unsuccessful.

FWIW, I earned an MDiv ('85) and a DMin ('92) from LRS. However, I was never satisfied with the requirements or rigor of my MDiv. I even worked the DMin to be more academic than practical to try to beef up my training.

I ended up doing another MDiv ('98) and a PhD ('03) at SBTS in order to acquire the training I believed needed to engage in the type of pastoral ministry I envisioned.

Having said all that, I believe the Luther Rice of today is much stronger than the Luther Rice from which I received my MDiv in the mid-'80s.

One reason that Luther Rice is looked upon with some question today goes back to its early days in the 1960's and 1970's, IMO. Not a few SBC "leading" pastors received doctorates from LRS with dissertations which were little more than a compilation of sermon transcripts. Such would not be accepted today.

To the OP, Luther Rice is dispensational, in the way that most of the SBC is. It is quite Arminian, with some exception, and the evangelism put forth is quite decisionistic. In short, it fits quite well with most of the SBC of today, unfortunately so, IMO.

Still, for distance education, one could do much worse. However, I would personally be more inclined to some place such as Whitefield.

Bill
    Bill Moore, Pastor
    Cornerstone Baptist Church
    Clinton, SC

Carolina Commentary

Ivan is offline. Pastor
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
    Luther Rice's accrediting agency is TRACS, a nationally-accrediting agency recognized by both the USDE and CHEA. Luther Rice has made at least two attempts at regional accreditation (SACS), but both were unsuccessful.

FWIW, I earned an MDiv ('85) and a DMin ('92) from LRS. However, I was never satisfied with the requirements or rigor of my MDiv. I even worked the DMin to be more academic than practical to try to beef up my training.

I ended up doing another MDiv ('98) and a PhD ('03) at SBTS in order to acquire the training I believed needed to engage in the type of pastoral ministry I envisioned.

Having said all that, I believe the Luther Rice of today is much stronger than the Luther Rice from which I received my MDiv in the mid-'80s.

One reason that Luther Rice is looked upon with some question today goes back to its early days in the 1960's and 1970's, IMO. Not a few SBC "leading" pastors received doctorates from LRS with dissertations which were little more than a compilation of sermon transcripts. Such would not be accepted today.

To the OP, Luther Rice is dispensational, in the way that most of the SBC is. It is quite Arminian, with some exception, and the evangelism put forth is quite decisionistic. In short, it fits quite well with most of the SBC of today, unfortunately so, IMO.

Still, for distance education, one could do much worse. However, I would personally be more inclined to some place such as Whitefield.

Bill
    to all of this post!
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]