Seminaries, Colleges & Education discuss Best Theological Library In America in the Educational Forums forums; What is the best theological library in America? If we get enough answers maybe we can make this into a poll....

Romans922 is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate

Best Theological Library In America

What is the best theological library in America? If we get enough answers maybe we can make this into a poll.
    Elder Andrew Barnes (PCA)
    Christ Presbyterian Church (Kansas City, MO)
    Sermon Audio
    Twitter

Puritan Sailor is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    It's probably a tie between Yale, Harvard, Princeton, and Library of Congress. Perhaps University of Chicago is up there too.
    Patrick
    MDiv, RTS Jackson
    Pastor, Grace Presbyterian Church (OPC), Lisbon, NY

"He does well, that discourses of Christ; but he does infinitely better, that by experimental knowledge, feeds and lives on Christ." Thomas Brooks.
    "Let us not please ourselves that we have deep understandings, but let us shew our understandings by our practice." Richard Sibbes

cih1355 is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    The Flora Lamson Hewlett Library of the Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley, CA.
    Curt

Guido's Brother is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    For a Reformed person, it's hard to beat the Hekman Library at Calvin College/Seminary in Grand Rapids. And the H. Henry Meeter Center for Calvin Studies (also at Hekman) is incredible.
    Wes Bredenhof, Th.D.
    Pastor, Providence Canadian Reformed Church
    Hamilton, Ontario
    www.bredenhof.ca

D
    D is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Romans922 View Post
    What is the best theological library in America? If we get enough answers maybe we can make this into a poll.
    I have used the Pitts Theological Library on the campus of Emory University in Decatur, Georgia. Its special collections department is especially good. I've been told by several folk there that it is the third best theological library in the US, but I am no expert to judge those claims. But I did find things there I could find no where else within my reach.

DTK

Dieter Schneider is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Blog Entries
    Sounds great - so who is gonna get me a job?
    Independent Baptist Church (NE England, nr. Durham)

Backwoods Presbyterian is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries
    I must confess that the Library at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary is one of the best theological libraries in the U.S. I know it is the third largest in the East.
    Rev. Benjamin P. Glaser, M. Div, ARP
    Pastor, Ellisville Presbyterian Church, ARP
    Ellisville, Mississippi

‎‎"Ministers of the Gospel, when dispensing the truths of God, must preach home to their own souls, as well as unto others. Sir's, we do not deliver truths or doctrines to you, wherein we ourselves have no manner of concern. No, our own souls are at the stake, and shall either perish or be saved eternally, as we receive or reject these precious truths which we deliver unto you. And truly, it can never be expected that we will apply the truths of God with any warmth or liveliness unto others, unless we first make a warm application thereof to our own souls. And if we do not feed upon these doctrines, and practise these duties, which we deliver to and inculcate upon you, though we preach unto others, we ourselves are but castaways." -- Ebenezer Erskine, "The Assurance of Faith", pg. 8

Deo Vindice

Reformed Covenanter is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries
    Andrew Myers' house.
    Daniel
    RPCI
    Northern Ireland
    "May that happy period soon arrive when the unclouded glory of divine revelation will shine from pole to pole; when men every where will see eye to eye, in all things that are connected with divine glory, and with their own eternal felicity." William Stavely (Irish Covenanter), An appeal to light (1796), pp 143-4

jawyman is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido's Brother View Post
    For a Reformed person, it's hard to beat the Hekman Library at Calvin College/Seminary in Grand Rapids. And the H. Henry Meeter Center for Calvin Studies (also at Hekman) is incredible.
    Living in GR, I can't tell how invaluable this resource is, but I do have to vote for my seminary's library too. Puritan Reformed maybe small for now, but our library is mighty if you want solid Reformed and Puritan works.
    Jeff Wyman
    Little Farms Chapel OPC, Coopersville, MI
    www.calvinseminary.edu

Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. - James 1:12 (ESV)

Selig ist der Mann, der die Anfechtung erduldet; denn nachdem er bewährt ist, wird er die Krone des Lebens empfangen, welche Gott verheißen hat denen, die ihn liebhaben. - Jakob 1:12 (LUT '45)

greenbaggins is offline. Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Ritchie View Post
    Andrew Myers' house.
    Or at least his warehouse.
    Rev. Lane Keister
    Teaching Elder, PCA, Winnsboro, SC
    http://greenbaggins.wordpress.com
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

VirginiaHuguenot is offline. Puritanboard Librarian
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greenbaggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Ritchie View Post
    Andrew Myers' house.
    Or at least his warehouse.
    Andrew

timmopussycat is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Admittedly it's not within the U. S. of A., but the combined Regent College - Carey Theological College library in Vancouver, BC is very good. Given that it is a branch of the Evangelical Library in London, I can get just about anything I need from it.

And let's not forget that any library that is linked to Early English Books Online has online access to just about every Puritan publication that ever was. Your local University library should have this access.
    In Christ's love and service

Mr. Tim Cunningham,
    Diploma in Christian Studies, Regent College, Vancouver
    Author: How Firm a Foundation? An Exegetical and Historical Critique of the "Ethical Perspective of [Christian] Reconstructionism" Presented in Theonomy in Christian Ethics, Wipf & Stock, 2012.
    Bachelor of Music in Trombone Performance, University of Toronto
    Member, First Baptist Church
    Vancouver, BC
    ------------
    "I once sat in darkness, and waited for the moon to rise.
    I once sat in darkness, and waited for the sun to shine.
    I once sat in darkness, when all the light I'd waited for was gone.
    Then Jesus came, and now the only true light, ever, shines in me."
    – John Deacon -

govols is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    From what I hear it is Al Mohler's personal library.
    For the sake of the Name,

John Hill
    Faith Community - Woodstock, Ga
    Adopted. Husband for 15 years. Father of 5 children.
    http://faithcommunitychurch.org- My home church
    Rocky Top, you'll always be, home sweet home to me.

DMcFadden is offline. Meum cerebrum nocet
    Certainly not the best, but I am only a few minutes from . . .

Fuller library provides a collection of over 500,000 books, media, and bound periodical volumes. It offers over 10,000 full-text electronic periodical titles, over 10,000 eBooks, and over 3,400 print periodical titles.
    Last time I did some research there, I didn't even need an exorcism afterwards.
    Dennis E. McFadden, Ex Mainline Baptist (in Remission)
    Atherton Baptist Homes, Alhambra, CA, President/CEO, Retired
    Emmanuel Lutheran Church, LCMS

crhoades is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    WTS PA's is nice. Fuller's is rather large and even in town, Vanderbilt's Divinity isn't too shabby.
    Chris Rhoades -33
    Good Shepherd Presbyterian Church (PCA) Nashville, TN-Under Care

Vera theologia non theoretica, sed practica est; Finis siquidem eius agere est hoc est vitam vivere deiformem. - Martin Bucer
    ""True theology is not theoretical, but practical. The end of it is living, that is to live a godly life."

Ivan is offline. Pastor
    Quote Originally Posted by govols View Post
    From what I hear it is Al Mohler's personal library.
    Put Dr. Mohler's and Andrew's library together and I'd say you'd have something special. Of course, either we do for me!
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Ivan Schoen ~ [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]The Church in [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Poplar Grove, IL[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]=================================[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [LEFT][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]"As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives." ~ Henry David Thoreau[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][/LEFT]
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

danmpem is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Blog Entries
    I heard that the Boyce College/Southern Seminary was one of the biggest in the Western Hemisphere.

N. Eshelman is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Dr. Beeke tells us that Union Theological Seminary library is the best in the US.

Sydnorphyn is offline. Inactive User
    Princeton's is the best on the east coast - the best for Karl Barth, probably in the States - of course, you need to read and enjoy Barth (which all reformed believers should) to enjoy it.

Partial
    John
    Evangelical Free Church, no offices held
    Langhorne, PA

[B]δός δοξαν τῳ θεῳ.[/B]
    [B]ιδου ποιω τα εσχατα ως τα πρωτα.
    הבל הבלים[/B]

DMcFadden is offline. Meum cerebrum nocet
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydnorphyn View Post
    Princeton's is the best on the east coast - the best for Karl Barth, probably in the States - of course, you need to read and enjoy Barth (which all reformed believers should) to enjoy it.

Partial
    The brag is that the Princeton libraries contain the largest theological collection in the United States and second in the world, behind only the Vatican Library in Rome. Princeton is for Barth studies what Grand Rapids is for Calvin and the Puritans. The Burke Library at Union has 604,000 bound volumes. Westminster (East) has 140,000 bound volumes; Puritan Reformed holds 40,000+; Westminster CA claims 120,000 volumes; Fuller has 500,000 books and media.
    Last edited by DMcFadden; 03-07-2008 at 12:44 AM.
    Dennis E. McFadden, Ex Mainline Baptist (in Remission)
    Atherton Baptist Homes, Alhambra, CA, President/CEO, Retired
    Emmanuel Lutheran Church, LCMS