Music discuss For Lawrence... in the Entertainment and Humor forums; ...

Backwoods Presbyterian is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries

For Lawrence...

Rev. Benjamin P. Glaser, M. Div, ARP
    Pastor, Ellisville Presbyterian Church, ARP
    Ellisville, Mississippi

‎‎"Ministers of the Gospel, when dispensing the truths of God, must preach home to their own souls, as well as unto others. Sir's, we do not deliver truths or doctrines to you, wherein we ourselves have no manner of concern. No, our own souls are at the stake, and shall either perish or be saved eternally, as we receive or reject these precious truths which we deliver unto you. And truly, it can never be expected that we will apply the truths of God with any warmth or liveliness unto others, unless we first make a warm application thereof to our own souls. And if we do not feed upon these doctrines, and practise these duties, which we deliver to and inculcate upon you, though we preach unto others, we ourselves are but castaways." -- Ebenezer Erskine, "The Assurance of Faith", pg. 8

Deo Vindice

LawrenceU is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Thanks!!

A great scene from one of my favourite movies. Care to take a guess what tag is on the front bumper of my truck? It is this:

(I've also had people ask me if I was a retired General officer ! )
    'There's nae jouking in the cause of Christ' - James Guthrie

We shall not adjust our Bible to the age; but before we have done with it, by God's grace, we shall adjust the age to the Bible. - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    Pastor - Providence Family Fellowship / Mobile, Alabama
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice

OPC'n is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries
    Ok, how come I've never heard of the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears the single star?
    sarah
    providence (Only Perfect Church)
    wi coldest snowiest state in the union

Because you live in Yankeeland.

We used to sing this song in school when I was growing up. But, then again we also stood and sang Dixie at ballgames. There are still a few of us who are Unreconstructed.

Here are some friends of mine playing The Bonnie Blue Flag. Their band is named Unreconstructed. They are very well known among re-enactors.

We shall not adjust our Bible to the age; but before we have done with it, by God's grace, we shall adjust the age to the Bible. - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice

OPC'n is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries
    I live in Yankeeland but my whole family (except for me and my two sisters) is from the south and they have never spoken of this flag. Cool instruments, BTW. Did they make them?
    sarah
    providence (Only Perfect Church)
    wi coldest snowiest state in the union

smhbbag is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    I've also had people ask me if I was a retired General officer !
    In military ceremonies, the presence of a Rear Admiral or USAF Brigadier General is often indicated by a flag with a single star on a solid blue background. I think it's an understandable mistake.

If I saw someone with such a flag on the vehicle, I would not be sure which it was. But then I would probably believe that you're more likely to run into a former general than a person who would proudly fly the Bonnie Blue...however sad that is. If you put them side by side, I honestly could not tell the difference. I believe the Bonnie Blue is a little bit lighter in shade.
    Jeremy
    SBC
    NC

"No heart can conceive that treasury of mercies which lies in this one privilege, in having liberty and ability to approach unto God at all times, according to his mind and will." - John Owen

Quote Originally Posted by smhbbag View Post
    I've also had people ask me if I was a retired General officer !
    In military ceremonies, the presence of a Rear Admiral or USAF Brigadier General is often indicated by a flag with a single star on a solid blue background. I think it's an understandable mistake.

If I saw someone with such a flag on the vehicle, I would not be sure which it was. But then I would probably believe that you're more likely to run into a former general than a person who would proudly fly the Bonnie Blue...however sad that is. If you put them side by side, I honestly could not tell the difference. I believe the Bonnie Blue is a little bit lighter in shade.
    Oh, I understand the confusion completely. But, I will admit that seeing a star on an F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 wouldn't really make me think of a General Officer.

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice

smhbbag is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Oh, I understand the confusion completely. But, I will admit that seeing a star on an F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 wouldn't really make me think of a General Officer.
    Well, if it were that vehicle, in Alabama, that might clarify the situation a good deal

Here in the Triangle in NC (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill), the judgment may be different. After all, one of our local cities is unofficially named the Containment Area for Relocated Yankees (Cary, NC). We have been thoroughly overrun.
    Jeremy
    SBC
    NC

"No heart can conceive that treasury of mercies which lies in this one privilege, in having liberty and ability to approach unto God at all times, according to his mind and will." - John Owen

Southern Twang is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue flag!
    Dewey D
    BHPC, PCA
    Chattanooga, TN