Calvinism & The Doctrines of Grace discuss A.W. Tozer - Calvinist? in the Theology forums; uzzled: Does anyone know A.W. Tozer's beliefs? I was reading an online book [u:97c2e9dee8]Man - The Dwelling Place of God[/u:97c2e9dee8] and came across this. http://www.worldinvisible.com/librar...00.0010.20.htm ...

4ndr3w is offline. Puritanboard Freshman

A.W. Tozer - Calvinist?

uzzled: Does anyone know A.W. Tozer's beliefs?

I was reading an online book [u:97c2e9dee8]Man - The Dwelling Place of God[/u:97c2e9dee8] and came across this.

http://www.worldinvisible.com/librar...00.0010.20.htm
    "To square the records, however, it should be said that if the Calvinist does not rise as high, he usually stays up longer. He places more emphasis on the Holy Scriptures which never change, while his opposite number (as the newspapers say) tends to judge his spiritual condition by the state of his feelings, which change constantly. This may be the reason that so many Calvinistic churches remain orthodox for centuries, at least in doctrine, while many churches of the Arminian persuasion often go liberal in one generation."
    Andrew Walling
    Brandon, MS
    Grace Baptist Church - Reformed Baptist
    http://www.gracejackson.net

Me Died Blue is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    I don't have any sources at the moment, but as far as I know, Tozer was Arminian.
    Chris

A passion to know and reflect Christ by living and demonstrating the truth and richness of the historic Reformed faith

My Facebook Here

Chris Blum
    Member of Trinity Presbyterian Church of Northern Kentucky (PCA) in Petersburg, KY

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

ReformedWretch is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    I sure wish he were Calvinist!

He is the author of a quoate I so closely resemble and relate to!

THE LONELINESS OF THE CHRISTIAN

By A.W. Tozer

The loneliness of the Christian results from his walk with God in an ungodly world, a walk that must often take him away from the fellowship of good Christians as well as from that of the unregenerate world. His God-given instincts cry out for companionship with others of his kind, others who can understand his longings, his aspirations, his absorption in the love of Christ; and because within his circle of friends there are so few who share his inner experiences he is forced to walk alone. The unsatisfied longings of the prophets for human understanding caused them to cry out in their complaint, and even our Lord Himself suffered in the same way.

The man [or woman] who has passed on into the divine Presence in actual inner experience will not find many who understand him. He finds few who care to talk about that which is the supreme object of his interest, so he is often silent and preoccupied in the midst of noisy religious shoptalk. For this he earns the reputation of being dull and over-serious, so he is avoided and the gulf between him and society widens. He searches for friends upon whose garments he can detect the smell of myrrh and aloes and cassia out of the ivory palaces, and finding few or none he, like Mary of old, keeps these things in his heart.

It is this very loneliness that throws him back upon God. His inability to find human companionship drives him to seek in God what he can find nowhere else.

mjbee is offline. Inactive User
    Adam, have you ever read "On Breeding Spotted Mice"? I like Tozer, too, but he always seemed to dance around the questions of election and predestination. Perhaps he was trying to appeal to a wider audience. No matter. I love his writings!

Bee
    Melissa Brown
    Evansville, Indiana
    Looking for a body of believers to hook up with
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united in error. It is better to speak the truth that hurts and heals, than falsehood that comforts and then kills. Let me tell you something, friend, it is not love and it is not friendship if we fail to declare the whole counsel of God. It is better to be hated for telling the truth, than to be loved for telling a lie. It is impossible to find anyone in the Bible who was a power for God who did not have enemies and was not hated. It's better to stand alone with the truth, than to be wrong with a multitude. It is better to ultimately succeed with the truth than to temporarily succeed with a lie. There is only one Gospel and Paul said, 'If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.'"
    Pastor Adrian Rodgers, excerpts from talk, Nat'l Religious Broadcasters Convention, 1996

ABondSlaveofChristJesus is offline. Inactive User

hmm

I listened to a sermon of his that seemed pretty calvinistic to me. :thumbup:
    Tim Potts
    Siloam Springs, Arkansas
    Member of Covenant Presbyterian Church (PCA)
    Student at John Brown University
    -Let the church change the world and rather than the world change the church-

ReformedWretch is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    No Melissa, I have not read that. I will now though Thanks!

JesusFan is offline. Inactive User
    I have been reading his book "The Knowledge of the Holy," for a class I am required to take called Spiritual Formation. In it, he writes on the attributes of God from a most worshipful angle. He seems to have only the greatest respect for the classical views of Immutability, Sovereignty, Majesty, Perfection, Completeness, and utter beauty of God. I do agree, though, that he dances around soteriological issues. I suppose that is good, in the sense that we can appreciate him, and so can our Arminian brothers.
    Adam Parker
    Philosophy Student
    Grand Canyon University;
    Phoenix, AZ

Fellowship of Grace (PCA)
    Glendale, AZ

Adam's Theological Writings @ [url]http://www.geocities.com/viper234[/url]

Me Died Blue is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    [quote:b4417f4091="JesusFan"]I have been reading his book "The Knowledge of the Holy," for a class I am required to take called Spiritual Formation. In it, he writes on the attributes of God from a most worshipful angle. He seems to have only the greatest respect for the classical views of Immutability, Sovereignty, Majesty, Perfection, Completeness, and utter beauty of God. I do agree, though, that he dances around soteriological issues. I suppose that is good, in the sense that we can appreciate him, and so can our Arminian brothers.[/quote:b4417f4091]

While I appreciate some of his works too, I have to take issue with your claim that his soteriological vagueness is good. A less-direct biblical view is [i:b4417f4091]never[/i:b4417f4091] a good thing, no matter how much wider an audience it is supposedly appealing to.

And even though he's vague, Tozer did indeed deny the Reformed doctrine of soteriology, because in his book [i:b4417f4091]The Pursuit of God[/i:b4417f4091], he affirms the doctrine of "prevenient grace," which is basically an acknowledgement of God having sought the man before the man can seek God, but it still denies that the ultimate choice is in God's hands.
    Chris

A passion to know and reflect Christ by living and demonstrating the truth and richness of the historic Reformed faith

My Facebook Here

Chris Blum
    Member of Trinity Presbyterian Church of Northern Kentucky (PCA) in Petersburg, KY

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Joshua is offline. _
    Blog Entries
    I found this quote at http://brainyquote.com

[quote:9d19dc5518]Salvation is from our side a choice, from the divine side it is a seizing upon, an apprehending, a conquest by the Most High God. Our "accepting" and "willing" are reactions rather than actions. The right of determination must always remain with God.

A.W. Tozer
    [/quote:9d19dc5518]
    Josh
    CCRPC, RPCGA

4ndr3w is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    [quote:c1f4f69548="joshua"]I found this quote at http://brainyquote.com

[quote:c1f4f69548]Salvation is from our side a choice, from the divine side it is a seizing upon, an apprehending, a conquest by the Most High God. Our "accepting" and "willing" are reactions rather than actions. The right of determination must always remain with God.

A.W. Tozer
    [/quote:c1f4f69548][/quote:c1f4f69548]

Hmmm. uzzled:

Christopher, Do you have any direct quotes of Tozer's view on "Prevenient Grace". Was his definition that same as that of Arminians? I say that because I have actually heard Reformed people speaking of a different concept of "Prevenient Grace".

I must confess, I don't have time right now to read his book. I will try to get to it later. I was hoping you might quote him or list pages to watch out for.
    Andrew Walling
    Brandon, MS
    Grace Baptist Church - Reformed Baptist
    http://www.gracejackson.net

Joshua is offline. _
    Blog Entries
    Tozer has these thoughts in his work [u:6e5e624c90]Divine Conquest[/u:6e5e624c90], p. 79:

[quote:6e5e624c90]Among Conservatives we find persons whoa re Bible-taught but not Spirit-taught. They concede truth to be something which they can grasp with the mind. If a man holds to the fundamentals of the Christians faith he is thought to possess divine truth, but it does not follow. There is no truth apart from the Spirit. The most brilliant intellect may be imbecilic when confronted with the mysteries of God. For a man to understand revealed truth requires and act of God equal to the original act which inspired the text.[/quote:6e5e624c90]

[quote:6e5e624c90]From this mortal error Fundamentalism is slowly dying. We have forgotten that the essence of spiritual truth cannot come to the one who knows the external shallow truth [i:6e5e624c90]unless there is first a miraculous operation of the Spirit within the heart.[/i:6e5e624c90][/quote:6e5e624c90]

I found these quotes cited in Dr. Gerstner's [u:6e5e624c90]Wrongly Dividing the Word of Truth[/u:6e5e624c90]. He speaks favorably of Tozer's thoughts and has this to say on page 158:

[quote:6e5e624c90]Because of the dispensational view of nominal faith and the dispensational denial of irresistible grace, Tozer senses that if a person can produce faith of himself before regeneration, then that person is able to understand the gospel savingly and really to convert himself. Such a person, capable of turning to God, is not a totally depraved person. He has it within his power to turn or not to turn to God. Tozer mistakenly calls this [i:6e5e624c90]theological rationalism[/i:6e5e624c90] but, at the same time, there is no doubt that he has placed his finger on an important issue. The very fact that he was himself a dispensationalist makes his awareness here all the more poignant and telling[/quote:6e5e624c90]
    Josh
    CCRPC, RPCGA

Bryan is offline. Inactive User
    Tozer was an arminian, but he's one of my favorite arminians
    When you come across a person who has a great love of God, you are attracted to them. I find this with Tozer. His love of god comes out so clearly in his writtings. He is a little off in some theological areas but none that puts him far outside of the Christian camp. He knew the God of the Bible, had an awe of him that msot people never achieve, and wrote wonderfuly about this.

Bryan
    SDG
    Bryan Neufeld
    Faith Community Church
    Manitoba, Canada

Steadfast is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Tozer began as a Presbyterian though, didn't he? Or was that Simpson? I know Tozer is held in very high regard among the C&MA people, and Simpson was their founder, I believe.
    Michael
    PCA, MI

D. Paul is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    One of my favorite written articles of Tozer's is this one:

http://www.wrfd.com/editorials.asp?Id=29&Type=Other

I used to record his sermons from an old radio program late at night (Voices of the Past) and always found him edifying but did soon see his leanings toward Arminianism. Does that necessarily cancel out the Gospel he preached?

Bryan is offline. Inactive User
    Simpson was both a Presbyterian and Baptist at points in his life. I don't know if Tozer was in any other denomination before pastoring an Alliance Church or not.

Bryan
    SDG
    Bryan Neufeld
    Faith Community Church
    Manitoba, Canada