Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Calvinism & The Doctrines of Grace discuss How were you led to the doctrines of Grace? in the Theology forums; When I got sick and tiered of "easy believism" at Rapture Ready - your prophecy resource for the end times and was scolded for believing ...

ReformedWretch is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    When I got sick and tiered of "easy believism" at Rapture Ready - your prophecy resource for the end times and was scolded for believing in "Lordship Salvation" I "Googled" that term and found John MacArhtur's "Hard to believe", and then about a week later, the Puritan Board. It all fell into place after that.

timmopussycat is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Can't resist this opportunity.

As a young Christian, just a few days or weeks away from paganism, I dropped in on a Christian bookstore run by one of the elders of the independent Pentecostal church I had been converted in. As soon as he saw me he came over, marched me to the back rack and said "Buy this book!" It was Dr. Packer's Knowing God

Yes, it was an unusual Pentecostal church!
    Last edited by timmopussycat; 03-01-2009 at 09:12 AM.
    In Christ's love and service

Mr. Tim Cunningham,
    Diploma in Christian Studies, Regent College, Vancouver
    Author: How Firm a Foundation? An Exegetical and Historical Critique of the "Ethical Perspective of [Christian] Reconstructionism" Presented in Theonomy in Christian Ethics, Wipf & Stock, 2012.
    Bachelor of Music in Trombone Performance, University of Toronto
    Member, First Baptist Church
    Vancouver, BC
    ------------
    "I once sat in darkness, and waited for the moon to rise.
    I once sat in darkness, and waited for the sun to shine.
    I once sat in darkness, when all the light I'd waited for was gone.
    Then Jesus came, and now the only true light, ever, shines in me."
    – John Deacon -

Athaleyah is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    I was happy in an arminian church with a great pastor who truly loved the Bible. He tried to answer my questions about predestination and election that I had from reading the Bible, but his answers never really satisfied me.

RC Sproul's "Renewing your Mind" was on the radio during my lunch hour while I was in a training class at work and I started listening to him. I had a hard time believing what he was saying, but he kept backing up everything he said with the Bible. So I started buying and reading the books by Sproul that were recommended during the broadcast.

Once I realized that the Bible did teach reformed theology, I was at first upset with God for doing things that way. The hardest thing for me to accept was that God chose me and changed my heart so that I loved him (and that there was nothing good in me that made him do it), rather than me making the choice to accept Christ.

As I was learning I was sharing what I learned of reformed theology with my husband. He struggled with it at first as I had, then came to believe it as well (praise God!). We were sad to leave our much loved arminian pastor and congregation, but we felt that we had to move. We found a PCA church near our house.

Praise God and thanks to him for letting RC Sproul be on the radio during my lunch break!
    "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73:26

Angela Asano
    Edwardsville, IL
    Member, Center Grove Presbyterian Church - PCA

"History never repeats itself, but it rhymes." - Mark Twain

baron is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    After being saved I attended a Pentecostal church which stressed not reading any books but only the Bible. Christian books were taboo. One day on a church outing where I took my children to swim and skate, I found a christian book store there. I went in and the manager started a conservation with me and then he showed me Arthur Pink Practical Christianity.
    That was the end of the Pentecostal church for me. Then he showed me Spurgeon, and Lloyd-Jones. Started going to a Baptist churches found pastors who liked those men but did not believe as those men did. No internet in those days. Had lots of questions but no one to talk with about my questions. So drifted away from doctrines of grace till I found the PB board. So once again I'm new to Reformed thinking but now, I can read all the great questions and answers on this board.
    I do admit I LOVE lurking and reading here due to my limited knowledge regarding most of the questions.
    I'am truly greatfull for this Board and the people on it.
    John Komenda
    Attending: Refreshing Springs Church
    Buffalo, New York
    http://www.refreshingspringsministri...c_id=140000066

Before they call I will answer; while they are yet speaking I will hear. Is.65:24 ESV

The Scriptures teach us the best way of living, the noblest way of suffering, and the most comfortable way of dying. John Flavel.

MrMerlin777 is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Slowly by studying Ephesians 1&2, & Romans 9.

My wife thought I was going nuts talking out loud and pacing during my personal bible studies all those years ago.
    Donald Jacobs
    Roanoke VA.
    Covenant Reformed Episcopal Church.

Cum vero infirmor tunc potens sum.

Mushroom is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    After 10 years of wretched sorrow in (and out of) an armino/pelagian charismanian theology, I read the.... Book of Romans (surprise) all through in a night in 1989, then went to get a haircut where the barber happened to be a Reformed Baptist Pastor. He buried me in Pink, Spurgeon, and Luther pamphlets and tracts, and sent me home shorn and shocked. Fought for 5 years, ran and tried to hide, but to no avail. Through Sproul and White Horse Inn, I finally ended up in a PCA Church in 1996. Thanks be to God!
    Brad

PCA

These toadies just keep holdin' me down, man!

Knoxienne is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    Someone gave us a bunch of old Steve Brown tapes in the early to mid-nineties when I was in college - old tapes from when he pastored what I think was a PCA in Key Biscayne FL, long before he taught at RTS. He kept using the term Five Point Calvinist, but never said what the Five Points were. I'd ask people and all I'd get was a bunch of garbage from my evanjelly friends about "burning witches" and "legalism" and how four of the five points were great, but "limited atonement" was mean and nasty and "unmerciful".

All I knew is, I liked Brown's preaching at that time in my young Christian life , and the Bible started making sense to me in a way it never had before. I had never heard the Bible interpreted non-dispensationally before and that was a breath of fresh air. Brown often mentioned that he was a Presbyterian, but the only presbyterian "churches" I knew of were apostate dens of Marxism and modernistic blasphemy. So I looked in the phone book for a Calvinistic Presbyterian type Church and found an OPC and went there, became a member and stayed there for two years until Bill and I were married there.

Memory lane! Wow... what a load of fun.
    Toni Cunningham, Wife of Bill (Theognome)
    Parkwoods OPC, Overland Park KS

"Vice is a monster of so frightful mien, As, to be hated, needs but to be seen; Yet seen too oft, familiar with her face, We first endure, then pity, then embrace." ~ Alexander Pope

Jon 316 is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Blog Entries
    Heh folks, awesome testimonies! Thanks for sharing. Keep them rolling in!

As for me, it was a long journey, some of the said names were influential in my own journey. i.e

Charles Spurgeon
    M.L Jones
    Phil Johnson's articles on Finney and Spurgeon.
    Romans 9 was the scripture which upset my world.
    John Piper was an awesome influence.
    I'm sure there were many more...

I also remember getting upset with the doctrines of grace. I remember throwing a calvinist pamphlet across my room in disgust when I read about limited atonement!

However, God allowed me no rest until I bowed the knee to his Sovereignty in all things including salvation.

I never was into 'easy believism' though, and I think in many ways I was a calvinist in my heart, if not some of my understanding. I guess the stumbling blocks were free will and limited atonement.

Praise God for his goodness and His soverign grace!
    "A dog barks when his master is attacked. I would be a coward if I saw that God's truth is attacked and yet would remain silent." John Calvin

John from Scotland
    Denomination: Attending Baptist church
    Confessional Subscription:London Baptist Confession
    Blog: [url]www.three-streams.co.uk[/url]

MMasztal is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    I'd have to say that after I became a Christian (I had been a non-observant Roman Catholic) and visiting some churches, the Lord led me to a small OPC church where I was blessed with great teaching. I remember that we were studying Packer's "Knowing God" and I also listened to many Sproul tapes.
    Last edited by MMasztal; 03-01-2009 at 08:04 PM. Reason: clarification
    Michael Masztal
    Ruling Elder, Chapel By The Sea, ARP
    Melbourne Beach, FL

Herald is offline. Moderator
    The book of Romans. It captured my heart and mind.
    Bill Brown
    Elder
    Grace Baptist Church
    Student at Midwest Center for Theological Studies

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Ezekiel3626 is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    I do not have anything original to add, but I will chime in anyway. My story is basically a mash-up of the ones already mentioned. My former pastor had been introduced, in subtle ways, to the DoG over the years. One day he mentioned the word "Calvinism". I simply googled it, and the search was on. I settled in on Lorraine Boettners' "Reformed Doctrine of Predestination". I literally sat down with this book and my Bible, and began to study and pray over the next several weeks. As already mentioned, there was no "struggle" for me. I was raised Southern Baptist, but had only been converted for less than a year. Most of what I had learned in my life (Arminianism) just did not "add up". I progressed to many more books, and continued to grow in the Word, primarily. Simply put, for me anyway, the DoG simply "make sense", at least to my finite mind. These doctrines fully line up with what I read in Gods Holy Word, and that settled it for me.
    Briant Holley
    Mt. Zion Baptist Church;
    Husband to Barbara, Father of Alexis, Justin, and Lacey
    Silver Creek, MS

moral necessity is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Well....I entered an Arminian Baptist church at age 17 that was slowly reading into Calvinism. The weird, twisted conglomeration of theology that developed out of their pursuit I don't know has ever been duplicated in this life, it seems,....at least I have not read of anything exactly similar to it in any books. After 15 or so years of exposure to their "development", I began to read for myself the books of the reformers that they began to quote evey so often. I bought Edwards' works, as well as Calvin's Commentaries, and began reading them for myself. But, the main difference was prayer, and the near daily crying out of my own spirit to the Lord for help and relief from the burden of their teachings that was upon me. Gradually, light began to ensue......and I quickly became an outcast. But, the doctrines of grace were coming more and more to light, all at the same time it seems. And so, the Lord saw my way out of that pit, and provided my escape that I ever so needed. I still have so many ripple marks and scars, that show themselves as often as the day, it seems. I'm sure, those of you who identify with my experience, know well what I'm talking about. But, I'd never trade the cost for the benefit.....ever.....in my entire life. I've seen the value of the benefit of the doctrines of grace......and they are worth every penny that it has cost me to find them......and boy.....I could go on and on about that cost,.......you have no idea. But, I praise God, for his grace, that allows me to partake of such a blessed understanding! I'm soooo humbled.....and yet, soooooo much thankful and enjoying of it all! And then.......I found the PB.....and I have been blessed that much more!!! But, that is another story...
    Charles Plauger
    Grace Reformed Church
    Woodstock, VA

sofarawaykisses is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    well for me, I was raised in a penacostal church, in which they were huge, huge, HUGE on Arminianism. I felt that I could loose my salvation and in order to be a "good christian" I better show it by speaking in tongues and if the spirit of God was on the congregation, it was impressive if you fainted.
    No lie.
    Anyways, I recently became reformed about a year ago when I met my boyfriend, Matthew. It took a lot of God working through him for me to realize that doctrine I once believed was false and very much so decieving.
    Amber Feller
    Member, First Baptist Church of Weeki Wachee Acres
    Spring Hill, FL

moral necessity is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by sofarawaykisses View Post
    well for me, I was raised in a penacostal church, in which they were huge, huge, HUGE on Arminianism. I felt that I could loose my salvation and in order to be a "good christian" I better show it by speaking in tongues and if the spirit of God was on the congregation, it was impressive if you fainted.
    No lie.
    Anyways, I recently became reformed about a year ago when I met my boyfriend, Matthew. It took a lot of God working through him for me to realize that doctrine I once believed was false and very much so decieving.
    I remember attending a penacostal church service with a friend, when I was 19 or so, and we were in the 2nd row. The pastor came up to some older guy in the row in front of me, and I heard him say these very words....."have you received the Holy Spirit yet?" And, the guy said that he wasn't sure. So, the pastor said that the HS was available if he wanted it. So, the guy did want it....and he began to almost strain....as if his straining was going to allow the HS into his body and make him speak in tongues...he was so trying to make himself available for it....the man's mouth was even open....trying to allow it to be "moved" by the Spirit. Then the pastor leaned into him, so as to not allow himself to be heard through the microphone.....and I happened to be directly behind the guy and able to hear what was said. The pastor said, "if you think that the HS is going to come down here and make your tongue flap, then you're crazy. You have to start moving your tongue, and then trust by faith that it is the HS doing it. And then he will take over." I almost puked!

So anyway,.......don't feel like you're alone.....many people...even smart and highly intelligent people...are being duped by this stuff. Praise God that he enlightened you to see what your boyfriend was telling you! Thank you for sharing, sister!

Blessings!
    Charles Plauger
    Grace Reformed Church
    Woodstock, VA

A.J. is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    I learned the doctrines of sovereign grace initially through James White's website AOMIN.org as I was looking for resources on Sola Scriptura and Sola Fide. Since my discovery of Reformed Theology, I've been reading Reformed books and listening to Reformed sermons.
    Albert, The Republic of the Philippines
    Deacon, Pasig Covenant Reformed Church
    Pasig City, Metro Manila
    Under the indirect oversight of the Trinity United Reformed Church (URCNA)
    Walnut Creek, CA

“Perseverance is the badge of true saints. The Christian life is not a beginning only in the ways of God, but also a continuance in the same as long as life lasts.” -

christiana is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    I read Pink's The Sovereignty of God and also The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination by Boettner. I then prayed to be led to a 'real' church where truth was taught and preached. The very first Sunday I attended my new church was their first day of study of The Five Points of Calvinism. I'd never heard such doctrine taught before and my soul just drank it in like a dried out sponge! What joy!!
    Nancy L./ www.foundersbaptist.org
    Spring, TX

Your will, Lord Jesus Christ! Nothing more... nothing less... nothing else.

ManleyBeasley is offline. Inactive User
    John Piper's sermons and Augustine's Confessions finally pushed me over the edge after years of fighting it. Spurgeon, Pink, and MacArthur got me moving that direction first. Besides that, God really put me through a humbling trial that helped make the Doctrines of Grace look beautiful to me.
    [B]Manley Beasley[/B]
    Southern Baptist Convention
    Fayetteville, Arkansas

[B]Wir sein pettler. Hoc est verum (We are beggars. This is true.).--Luther's dying words[/B]

LeeJUk is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Well I think I was truely converted after listening to Paul Washers "shocking message" sermon which has like 1 mill. hits on youtube or something now because even though I had trust in Jesus, I didn't know about blood atonement, the justice of God or anything really to do with the meaning behind Jesus paying for sin, therefore even though I wasn't the same as I used to be when I was unconverted, I had no power and no strength or consistency in my walk with Christ because the gospel had not been explained to me even though I was a year and counting in church and had read the bible through the NT once already It was like reading in German to me.

Anyway sooo heres a funny part, God in his providence, had me meet Jon 316 in the street randomly when I was out with my old girlfriend and then I think the same day or some days after I seen a link to Jon 316's blog and I was like oh... i met him the other day lets check this out. I went on, there was a video by paul washer, which explained the cross and then I watched the shocking youth one right after it and that same night boom, Christ became the most valueable thing and everything else became nothing and my christian walk just became real. I then proceeded to read scripture, ended up listening to more of washers sermons which explains calvinism etc... and then listened to some of the free presbyterian ministers on sermonaudio Dr. Ian Paisley, Rev. Alan Cairns etc... and from there I read the westminister confession of faith and I seen the sense it made from scripture and just kept listening to sermons, struggled with the idea of arminianism vs calvinism from both perspectives and calvinism still comes out the winner every time and then john suggested PB to me.
    Lee Johnston
    Church of Scotland
    B.D. Theology @ University of Glasgow

Classical Presbyterian is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Blog Entries
    Well, I was an ordained minister, preaching every Sunday and serving a church when ZGod changed my heart, taught my mind and showed me the Biblical truth of the Doctrines of Grace. And in the mainline, no less!

With God, all things are possible!
    Rev. Toby L. Brown

Proud member of The Westminster Fellowship

"The happiness of the creature consists in rejoicing in God, by which God is also highly exalted." --Jonathan Edwards

Augusta is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Raised and steeped in charismatic pentecostalism until I heard RC Sproul on the Christian radio station one day. I was forever changed from that day forward. Before coming to the doctrines of grace I never understood the scriptures when I would read them, just like LeeJUk. It was truly a miracle because I had only ever heard bad things about "once saved always saved" people.
    Traci
    Lynnwood OPC

"I have taken all my good deeds, and all my bad deeds, and cast them through each other in a heap before the Lord, and fled from both, and betaken myself to the Lord Jesus Christ, and in him I have sweet peace."--David Dickson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon 316 View Post
    So, pray tell, how did our Lord and saviour led you to embrace the doctrines of grace?
    Reformers and Puritans About Me
    Thanks for mang your testimony available Joshua, I also like your website.
    "A dog barks when his master is attacked. I would be a coward if I saw that God's truth is attacked and yet would remain silent." John Calvin

John from Scotland

reformed trucker is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon 316 View Post
    I also remember getting upset with the doctrines of grace. I remember throwing a calvinist pamphlet across my room in disgust when I read about limited atonement!
    Boy, does that sound familiar! More than once, while greatly struggling
    with the DoG, I chucked a book across the room while proclaiming "That's not fair!"

From the beginning:
    While studying the bible, there were many passages that didn't square up with
    what I was taught(arminian; before I knew there was a difference).Providence
    & some web links led me to Phil Johnson's stuff. Did an in-depth study of Romans. Reading Dr. White's "The Potter's Freedom" & Sproul's "Chosen By God" made it a done deal.

Like I said, I struggled greatly with the DoG. Had a problem with the "fairness"
    of it all (stoooopid charge to level at God, in retrospect). Once I realized "is it 'fairness' you want, or rather
    'mercy' that you desire", I was settled on the sovereignty of God. Then being overwhelmed by His sovereignty seemed like a wet blanket on my prayer life.
    I was involved in the prayer ministry, but thought if He is that sovereign, why pray? When I finallyrealized that God not only ordains the ends, but also the means, the "wet blanket" was consumed by the fire of prayer!

After all this, THEN I find the "Amazing Grace/Calvinism" DVD...
    Wish I would have found it sooner. It is so well done; I have given more than a few of these away to friends.
    Michael Tremmel
    attending Christ Reformed Baptist Church
    Hales Corners, WI.

Isaiah 46:5-11

I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Ps.16:8 ESV

But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. 1 Cor.15:10a ESV

Praecepta docent, exempla movent (precepts teach, but examples move)

AThornquist is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    I grew up Arminian. Then, about a year and a half ago at an SBC church (very dispy, but vaguely Calvinistic) the pastor mentioned that those who believe were chosen by God, which was a newish concept to me. I asked him about what he said after the sermon and he gave just a few more verses to explain what he meant. That's where it started and remained for another two or three months, though my family left that church because unscriptural practices were taking place. We ended up attending a Reformed church for the first time. We have remained there since and have totally embraced the DoG. It has made Scripture make so much more sense! Praise God for His providence...

Quote Originally Posted by timmopussycat View Post
    Yes, it was an unusual Pentecostal church!
    Most are unusual, in my experience

Blog Entries
    It has made Scripture make so much more sense! Praise God for His providence...
    now, isnt that the truth!

John from Scotland

Jimmy the Greek is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Thirty-three years ago I was saved through the cassette tape ministry of S. Lewis Johnson at Believer's Chapel. He was a 5-pointer even though a dispensationalist. The bookstore at Believer's Chapel was full of Reformed works. I was turned on to B. B. Warfield and my uncle sent me a hardback copy of Pink's Sovereignty of God. Not long after that our mini-church did a study thru Packer's Knowing God. It was a done deal.

After 33 years in the faith, I've only become more strongly commited to the doctrines of grace.
    Jim
    1689 LBCF
    Independent Bible Church
    North Texas, USA

SemperEruditio is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Articles at Monergism.com
    Frank
    Under Care
    City of Hope Church
    P.C.A.
    Maryland

Matthias is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Blog Entries
    I was never "churched" at all and had NO religion in my upbringing... but at around 23-24 years of age the Lord began calling me out of a life of darkness and drug abuse.. he simply granted me the desire to read the Bible, and used a friend of my Mothers who was a Christian to give me the good news. My desire for the word was INTENSE, literally overnight!! All of my studying of the word, online forums etc etc was Reformed based and Calvinistic.. God just led me down a path of clear doctrine, and gave me the ability to spot the ridiculous heresies and luke-warm milk being spewed in most pulpits. I feel so Blessed at how he gave me a LOVE for the word first.... when you love the Word, its easy to see what it truly says, instead of trying to make it say what you want it to say.
    Jeffrey Wilson
    Guisachan Fellowship Baptist Church
    London Baptist Confession of Faith 1644
    Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
    "If ever a monk got to heaven by monkery, I ought to have gotten there!" Martin Luther

ExGentibus is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    It was the Bible for me. When I first began reading it, at around 18-19 years of age, I had only heard the selected passages that are read in catholic churches, and was very confused about the purpose of religion in general. Then by the grace of God I opened the only Bible we had at home to see if the things were really that way. The more I read, the more I could see God's sovereignty in action, His mercy, and the many errors the priests had taught me.

It was only some time later, thanks to the Internet, that I discovered that what I believed was called "Calvinism". This led me to read more about Calvin, his Institutes, the 5 solas and the Doctrines of Grace.

For the word of God is quick, and powerful.
    Andrea
    Presbyterian, attending Baptist church
    Perugia, Italy
    Owner: federiformata.it

"Quos et vocavit nos non solum ex Iudæis sed etiam ex gentibus" (Rom. 9.24)

BobVigneault is offline. Bawberator
    I accepted the doctrines of grace into my heart at church camp when I was 9 years old and recommitted myself to them at a Calvinist conference when I was 15, 17, 18, 21, 26, and 32 following a showing of "Cromwell".
    When it comes to havoc, I WREAK!
    Bob Vigneault
    Seventy And Fourteen (blog)
    The Heartbeat of Heaven (blog)
    Spiritual Warfare (blog)
    Member, Grace Evangelical Free Church (Reforming!), Afton, WI
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

LawrenceU is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    I was raised in the Church of Christ. My mother's family goes all the way back to Alexander Cambell's time in the Restoration Movement. I have Primitive Baptist and Church of Christ roots on my father's side. I was raised in one of the Church of Christ 'meccas'. My father was a professor at one of the main CofC universities. Usually the CofC is Arminian, but there are still some remnants of its Reformed roots there among some folks. I was taught the party line of Arminianism, but Romans captured me while in college. I was a 'black sheep' who asked all of the wrong questions and often took the wrong positions. I was already on the way to becoming a closet Calvinist, in spite of the fact that I could out debate all the open Calvinists on campus. But, I couldn't out debate Scripture or its authour.

By the time I was out of college and married I was an Amyraldist. I really was in the closet though. I remember preaching through Romans, still my favourite epistle, and running head long into Romans Nine one evening and had to repent of my arrogant pride in thinking that I had it all figured out. From there on it was an interesting ride since I was working among the Christian Church (Independent) congregations at the time.
    'There's nae jouking in the cause of Christ' - James Guthrie

We shall not adjust our Bible to the age; but before we have done with it, by God's grace, we shall adjust the age to the Bible. - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    Pastor - Providence Family Fellowship / Mobile, Alabama
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice

a mere housewife is offline. Not your cup of tea
    My dad taught me the doctrines of grace; I rebelled but they are true and I didn't get away from them.
    Heidi
    Steger, IL

'I cannot live like Jesus, example though he be
    For he was strong and selfless, and I am tied to me.
    But I have asked my Jesus to live his life in me . . .
    Behold his warm, his tangible, his dear humanity.'
    -Betty Stam

skala is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    I stumbled across the website letgodbetrue.com, and started listening to random audio sermons there.

Turns out, they are actually self admittedly Hyper-Calvnists and their sermons were the first time I ever encountered the doctrine of election!
    Joseff Amador
    Hobbs, NM
    Reformed Baptist

A dog, if any one attacks his master, will at least attempt to frighten him by barking. Who would excuse me if, when I hear the truth of God assailed, I should suffer my mouth to remain closed?
    - John Calvin

grizzlor is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    We were in the process of making a new church directory at our church and I was looking at our old directory and kept noticing the number of families that were now divorced, at least two per page.

I started thinking, "Shouldn't Christians live differently than the world."

So I started looking into church discipline. As it turns out it seemed to me that only reformed churches even talk about church discipline. This lead me to men like Mark Dever and Paul Washer.

God opened my eyes and I then started seeing the Doctrines of Grace and sovereignty of God on every page of the Bible.

Finally a sermon by Paul Washer - Particular Redemption and Missions answered my last questions and doubts and the Puritan Board encourages me daily.

So it was the church directory that led me the Doctrines of Grace.
    Brad
    Deacon, SBC
    RC, NC

D. Paul is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    RC Sproul's radio program Renewing Your Mind. He kept mentioning Jonathan Edwards, the Puritans, the Reformation etc. I'd say and and . Then I started actually and said , then said . Now I'm and hopefully on my way to

-----Added 3/7/2009 at 01:31:31 EST-----

Quote Originally Posted by SemperEruditio View Post
    Articles at Monergism.com
    Oh

YEAH!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12