Calvinism & The Doctrines of Grace discuss F.F. Bruce a Calvinist? in the Theology forums; I realize he was more of a 'Biblical scholar' than anything else, and I can't think of anything he wrote about systematic theology, but was ...

rembrandt is offline. Inactive User

F.F. Bruce a Calvinist?

I realize he was more of a 'Biblical scholar' than anything else, and I can't think of anything he wrote about systematic theology, but was he a Calvinist? Wasn't he part of the Brethren "church"? :sniff: Some of them are Calvinists in soteriology though...

Paul

Saiph is offline. Inactive User
    I have his commentary on Hebrews and I would have to say, yes.

Me Died Blue is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Yeah, he is, at least with regard to soteriology. Dave Hunt acknowledges that in his half-baked book attempting to refute Calvinism, [i:a9bd45855f]What Love Is This[/i:a9bd45855f].

Chris
    Chris

A passion to know and reflect Christ by living and demonstrating the truth and richness of the historic Reformed faith

My Facebook Here

Chris Blum
    Member of Trinity Presbyterian Church of Northern Kentucky (PCA) in Petersburg, KY

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Bladestunner316 is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Well if Dave says so
    Nathan Olaf Brandal

"Man is nothing: he hath a free will to go to hell, but none to go to heaven, till God worketh in him to will and to do his good pleasure"
    GEORGE WHITEFIELD TO JOHN WESLEY

My Blog

Me Died Blue is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    [quote:5ef19f54ca][i:5ef19f54ca]Originally posted by Bladestunner316[/i:5ef19f54ca]
    Well if Dave says so [/quote:5ef19f54ca]

Chris

A passion to know and reflect Christ by living and demonstrating the truth and richness of the historic Reformed faith

My Facebook Here

Chris Blum
    Member of Trinity Presbyterian Church of Northern Kentucky (PCA) in Petersburg, KY

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

daveb is offline. Inactive User
    Was F.F. Bruce a Calvinist? Yep.

He describes himself as "an impenitent Augustinian and Calvinist" in the forward (p. vii) of Forster, RT & Marston, VP, [i:4d4c9145a0]God's strategy in human history[/i:4d4c9145a0], Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton: IL, 1973.

duke is offline. Inactive User
    Yes, FF Bruce was Brethren and in the UK that generally means that you are Arminian ... so that makes it even more exceptional that he was an "impenitent Augustinian and Calvinist". Guess a careful study of the Bible convinced him.
    Dr Philip S. Taylor
    Husband to Jayne
    Member of Whiteabbey Presbyterian Church (PCI)
    Reformed Bap (most of the time)
    Research Fellow (Queen's University Belfast)
    Belfast, Northern Ireland
    [url]http://sixteensixteen.blogspot.com[/url]

Learner is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    John Nelson Darby was a Calvinist.A.W.Pink quotes him in T.S.of God as denying free will.J.N.D.was invited to lecture at a D.L.Moody conference.Moody did not like Darby's Calvinism so he kept butting in.Darby grew frustrated and said:";;I came here for exposition,not to supply brains!";;
    Tim Carr living and working in Pupyung-dong,South Korea. I am in fellowship with Seoul Bible Church.
    There is no one I desire
    more than you in earth or heaven,O Lord.

4ndr3w is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    [quote:67d2c0bb45="Learner"]John Nelson Darby was a Calvinist.A.W.Pink quotes him in T.S.of God as denying free will.J.N.D.was invited to lecture at a D.L.Moody conference.Moody did not like Darby's Calvinism so he kept butting in.Darby grew frustrated and said:";;I came here for exposition,not to supply brains!";;[/quote:67d2c0bb45]

I thought John Darby was Amyraldian???
    http://www.monergism.com/thethreshol...tionalism.html
    Andrew Walling
    Brandon, MS
    Grace Baptist Church - Reformed Baptist
    http://www.gracejackson.net