See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Calvinism & The Doctrines of Grace discuss Was Christ Justified? in the Theology forums; This may seem like a strange question as Christ Himself was sinless, but is there any sense in which we could accurately say that Christ ...

  1. #1
    scottmaciver is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    187

    Was Christ Justified?

    This may seem like a strange question as Christ Himself was sinless, but is there any sense in which we could accurately say that Christ was justified?
    Scott Maciver
    Stornoway RPCS
    Isle of Lewis, Scotland

    'Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.'
    (Psalm 119:105)

  2. #2
    Andrew P.C.'s Avatar
    Andrew P.C. is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    889
    Blog Entries
    2
    If Christ is sinless then what is the necessity of Him being justified? It is a strange question indeed because there are many more things you could add to this response.
    Andrew Cunningham
    Reno, NV
    Member:Mt. Rose Reformed OPC


    Facebook
    TrigaBlog
    @TrigaBlog

  3. #3
    py3ak's Avatar
    py3ak is offline. They're stalling and plotting against me
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    12,781
    Yes, 1 Timothy 3:16. Christ died with the guilt of our sin imputed to him, and therefore it was necessary that it should be declared that the guilt of that sin was gone; that it no longer bound him. That is one of the great truths conveyed by the resurrection. Death has no power over him, because law has no claim against him, because the guilt of sin has been entirely expiated.
    Ruben: Administrator
    NCCC-OP
    Steger, IL

    ...analogy does not mean identity. When we make a comparison we do not make an equation. -John Murray

    Board Rules - Signature Requirements - Suggestions?

    Teología en Mexico
    The Howling Wilderness
    6 member(s) found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    raekwon's Avatar
    raekwon is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,892
    Christ was justified in and of himself.
    Rae W. | Ruling Elder @ Grace Central Presbyterian Church (PCA) | Columbus, OH
    Vintage73

  5. #5
    Douglas Padgett's Avatar
    Douglas Padgett is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    133
    Yes, Christ was 'justified (ἐδικαιώθη) by the Spirit" (1 Tim. 3:16) in his resurrection c.f. Rom. 4:25.

    Also, if you're interested you might want to check out Richard B. Gaffin's Resurrection and Eschatology.
    Douglas Padgett
    University Reformed Church (RCA)
    East Lansing, MI

  6. #6
    Andrew P.C.'s Avatar
    Andrew P.C. is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    889
    Blog Entries
    2
    Maybe I need clarification on what y mean by Christ being justified.
    Andrew Cunningham
    Reno, NV
    Member:Mt. Rose Reformed OPC


    Facebook
    TrigaBlog
    @TrigaBlog

  7. #7
    Jack K's Avatar
    Jack K is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,532
    Quote Originally Posted by py3ak View Post
    Yes, 1 Timothy 3:16. Christ died with the guilt of our sin imputed to him, and therefore it was necessary that it should be declared that the guilt of that sin was gone; that it no longer bound him. That is one of the great truths conveyed by the resurrection. Death has no power over him, because law has no claim against him, because the guilt of sin has been entirely expiated.
    Yes. This is the best answer.
    Jack K.
    PCA, worshiping with some fine Baptists in Colorado
    Gospel Teacher website
    Show Them Jesus: Teaching the Gospel to Kids

  8. #8
    Phil D. is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    857
    To be justified means to be "declared" righteous, as distinct from actually "being" righteous. As such, both Christ and those who believe in Him are justified. Christ is also intrinsically righteous (sinless), while we are not. Our righteousness is alien - that is, we have Christ's righteousness imputed (credited) to us.
    Last edited by Phil D.; 08-05-2011 at 09:33 AM.
    Phil Derksen
    attending Faith Community Church
    Kansas City, MO

  9. #9
    rbcbob's Avatar
    rbcbob is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew P.C. View Post
    Maybe I need clarification on what y mean by Christ being justified.
    The word means to pronounce, in a legal manner, that someone is in right standing with God, the Judge. The NAS translates it "vindicated" in 1 Tim 3:16.
    Bob, elder, RBC Louisville. 1689 LBCF

    Forum Rules - Signature Requirements
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Peairtach's Avatar
    Peairtach is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,312
    Because Christ was justified - declared to be without sin and positively righteous - at His resurrection, we are also justified in Him.

    If He hadn't come out of the grave our justification would have no certainty.

    Christ was also adopted and sanctified. These terms in relation to our covenant Head would also need clarification.
    Richard Tallach
    communicant member,
    Knox Free Church,
    Perth, Scotland GB

    His Name forever shall endure;
    last like the sun it shall:
    Men shall be blessed in Him,
    and blessed all nations shall Him call (Ps. 72:17)
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    scottmaciver is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    187
    Thanks for the responses.
    Its interesting how on the surface a question can sometimes seem far off the mark until we look at it in a bit more depth. We had a bit of discussion on the question at a fellowship on Wednesday night.
    Scott Maciver
    Stornoway RPCS
    Isle of Lewis, Scotland

    'Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.'
    (Psalm 119:105)

  12. #12
    MarieP's Avatar
    MarieP is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,234
    Wholeheartedly agreed except this point:

    Quote Originally Posted by Peairtach View Post
    Christ was also adopted
    I can see where He was justified and sanctified, but I'm having trouble seeing where He was adopted. That one makes me uneasy- especially when you say Christ rather than Jesus. Christ was always the Son of God. And I would say Jesus Christ matured as a son (learning obedience unto death on the cross, growing in wisdom and in favor with God and with men). But adopted? I don't see it....where do you see it? Please clarify, as you said was needed!
    MarieP
    Reformed Baptist Church
    Louisville, KY

    "I am not worthy of the least of all the mercies and of all the truth which You have shown Your servant" (Gen. 32:10)

  13. #13
    raekwon's Avatar
    raekwon is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,892
    Yeah, I dunno about adoption. He's begotten. We are adopted.
    Rae W. | Ruling Elder @ Grace Central Presbyterian Church (PCA) | Columbus, OH
    Vintage73
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

  14. #14
    Andrew P.C.'s Avatar
    Andrew P.C. is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    889
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thank you.
    Andrew Cunningham
    Reno, NV
    Member:Mt. Rose Reformed OPC


    Facebook
    TrigaBlog
    @TrigaBlog

  15. #15
    Peairtach's Avatar
    Peairtach is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,312
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieP View Post
    Wholeheartedly agreed except this point:

    Quote Originally Posted by Peairtach View Post
    Christ was also adopted
    I can see where He was justified and sanctified, but I'm having trouble seeing where He was adopted. That one makes me uneasy- especially when you say Christ rather than Jesus. Christ was always the Son of God. And I would say Jesus Christ matured as a son (learning obedience unto death on the cross, growing in wisdom and in favor with God and with men). But adopted? I don't see it....where do you see it? Please clarify, as you said was needed!
    I'll probably have to back track on this one. I may have mis-spoken in haste. I was of course speaking about Christ's humanity rather than His deity. I was thinking about texts such as

    Consequently, when Christ came into the world, he said, "Sacrifices and offerings you have not desired, but a body have you prepared for me; (Heb 10:5, ESV)
    I will tell of the decree: The LORD said to me, "You are my Son; today I have begotten you. (Ps 2:7)
    So also Christ did not exalt himself to be made a high priest, but was appointed by him who said to him, "You are my Son, today I have begotten you"; (Heb 5:5)
    And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead: (Rom 1:4)
    I will set his hand on the sea and his right hand on the rivers. He shall cry to me, 'You are my Father, my God, and the Rock of my salvation.' And I will make him the firstborn, the highest of the kings of the earth. (Ps 89:27-29) cf. Rev 10
    And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. (Matt 28:18)
    Richard Tallach
    communicant member,
    Knox Free Church,
    Perth, Scotland GB

    His Name forever shall endure;
    last like the sun it shall:
    Men shall be blessed in Him,
    and blessed all nations shall Him call (Ps. 72:17)

  16. #16
    Peairtach's Avatar
    Peairtach is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,312
    Yes. People may say in a popular way that God "adopted" human nature, but they are just loosely saying that God became Man, and there was no point - from His conception on - at which Jesus of Nazareth was not both God and Man. It is not a proper use of the term adoption.

    There is no sense in which we should speak of Christ's in His human nature being adopted. Thank you for correcting me, Marie P.
    Richard Tallach
    communicant member,
    Knox Free Church,
    Perth, Scotland GB

    His Name forever shall endure;
    last like the sun it shall:
    Men shall be blessed in Him,
    and blessed all nations shall Him call (Ps. 72:17)

  17. #17
    dudley's Avatar
    dudley is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,473
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by py3ak View Post
    Yes, 1 Timothy 3:16. Christ died with the guilt of our sin imputed to him, and therefore it was necessary that it should be declared that the guilt of that sin was gone; that it no longer bound him. That is one of the great truths conveyed by the resurrection. Death has no power over him, because law has no claim against him, because the guilt of sin has been entirely expiated.
    Ruben you have given the best and really only appropritae answer. Thank you.
    In faith,
    Dudley
    I am a member of The First Presbyterian Church of Manasquan, New Jersey. I am also a member of their weekly Bible class. I am in the process of joining The First Presbyterian Church of Manasquan Men’s Ministry.www.fpcom.org/

    May we all be Sons of the Reformation and continue to proclaim what it means to be Reformed Protestant Christians! Being Protestant means we protest heresy and we proclaim the truth of the Gospel.

  18. #18
    py3ak's Avatar
    py3ak is offline. They're stalling and plotting against me
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    12,781
    If anyone needs additional textual support for the proposition that Christ was justified, it can be found in Isaiah 50:

    4 The Lord GOD hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary: he wakeneth morning by morning, he wakeneth mine ear to hear as the learned.

    5 The Lord GOD hath opened mine ear, and I was not rebellious, neither turned away back.

    6 I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting.

    7 For the Lord GOD will help me; therefore shall I not be confounded: therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed.

    8 He is near that justifieth me; who will contend with me? let us stand together: who is mine adversary? let him come near to me.

    9 Behold, the Lord GOD will help me; who is he that shall condemn me? lo, they all shall wax old as a garment; the moth shall eat them up.
    It is quite plain from vv.4-7 that this is Christ (if it weren't sufficiently plain on the surface of the text, tracing the NT echoes of this passage should prove convincing and heartwarming): and the speaker does not change in vv.8,9. So when Paul's usage of those verses in Romans 8:33,34 is considered, it becomes apparent that we are justified because Christ was justified.
    Ruben: Administrator
    NCCC-OP
    Steger, IL

    ...analogy does not mean identity. When we make a comparison we do not make an equation. -John Murray

    Board Rules - Signature Requirements - Suggestions?

    Teología en Mexico
    The Howling Wilderness

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72