Calvinism & The Doctrines of Grace discuss Baptists and Calvinism: An Open Debate in the Theology forums; A Public Statement Since February 27th of this year, plans have been underway to schedule a debate on Baptists and Calvinism. Drs. James White, Ergun ...

fivepointcalvinist is offline. Inactive User

Baptists and Calvinism: An Open Debate

A Public Statement

Since February 27th of this year, plans have been underway to schedule a debate on Baptists and Calvinism. Drs. James White, Ergun Caner, Emir Caner and Tom Ascol initially agreed to participate in this event which was scheduled to be held at Thomas Road Baptist Church in Lynchburg, Virginia on October 16, 2006. Over the last five months, efforts to negotiate the terms of the debate at times degenerated into heated, antagonistic exchanges between the four participants. In both speech and tone too much of the communication has been perceived and/or characterized by sinful attitudes that have not honored the Lord Jesus Christ. We acknowledge our responsibility in this and deeply regret that we allowed it to happen. Each of us longs to represent Christ honorably and our intent is to conduct further negotiations in ways that will do so.

Through ongoing communication out of the public eye we have come to terms regarding the debate. It remains scheduled on October 16th and will involve all four of us. The topic will be, "Baptists and Calvinism: An Open Debate." The length will be three hours. The format will be modified Parliamentary. The place will be Thomas Road Baptist Church in Lynchburg, Virginia.

We are committed to engaging in a debate that will highlight the significant differences that exist between our respective views of how the Gospel of God works in bringing salvation to sinners. We believe that such debate can be conducted in a lively, vigorous exchange that need not violate the standard for Christian conduct that God has given us in His Word. Our goal is to do exactly this. The issues on which we disagree are important. It is because of our love for Christ and His truth that we believe these issues are worth debating. However, we regard this as a fraternal debate and intend to approach it not as antagonists, but as brothers with strong disagreements.

To that end we are asking those who have followed the issues surrounding this debate to join us in prayer that the Lord will guide us as final preparations are being made and that He will help us to conduct ourselves in a manner "worthy of the calling with which [we] have been called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace" (Ephesians 4:1-3).

Sincerely in Christ,
    Ergun Caner
    Emir Caner
    James White
    Tom Ascol

http://aomin.org/

[Edited on 8-3-2006 by fivepointcalvinist]
    [b]Matthew Cook[/b]
    [url=http://www.webspawner.com/users/graceprayerministry/][b][color=Blue]King's Chapel Reformed Baptist Church[/color][/b][/url]
    [b]West Chester, OH[/b]

[b]"But a witless man can no more become wise than a wild donkey's colt can be born a man." - Job 11:12[/b]

[IMG]http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/387/800pxflagofitalysvgod9.jpg[/IMG]

BobVigneault is offline. Bawberator
    Well I guess we can all just get along. Thanks for the update Matthew. Looking forward to the debate.
    When it comes to havoc, I WREAK!
    Bob Vigneault
    Seventy And Fourteen (blog)
    The Heartbeat of Heaven (blog)
    Spiritual Warfare (blog)
    Member, Grace Evangelical Free Church (Reforming!), Afton, WI
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Ivan is offline. Pastor
    I too look forward to the debate. Another step in the process of reforming the SBC....er, do I mean to become confessional?
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Ivan Schoen ~ [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]The Church in [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Poplar Grove, IL[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]=================================[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [LEFT][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]"As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives." ~ Henry David Thoreau[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][/LEFT]
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

A2JC4life is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Can someone clarify for me exactly what is to be debated here? I'm not sure I "get" the context. It sounds as though it would be a debate between Baptists (on one side) and Calvinists (on the other), but that really doesn't make sense, as some of us are both. What am I missing?
    Be blessed!
    ~Rachel Ramey <><
    member of Faith Baptist Church (SBC)
    Winchester, VA

panta dokimazete is offline. Panting Donkey Machete
    I think the objective is to explore Calvinism as it relates to the Baptist denomination...

...that is, for now - I will be curious to see how Ergun works his, "I am not an Arminian or Calvinist, I am a Baptist", dealy into this...

-JD
    JD Longmire
    Membership in Process
    1st Pres Ocean Springs, MS

Ivan is offline. Pastor
    This is a debate about Calvinistic theology as it affects the Southern Baptist Convention. Calvinism is growing (ever so slightly) in the SBC.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Ivan Schoen ~ [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]The Church in [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Poplar Grove, IL[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]=================================[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [LEFT][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]"As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives." ~ Henry David Thoreau[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][/LEFT]
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

A2JC4life is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    How exactly does one *debate* that? I thought there had to be a specific "pro" and "con" for a debate to work? Seriously, I am not being sarcastic, just dense.

(I am, btw, a Reformed Southern Baptist, married to a pastor who cannot seem to acquire a position for this very reason [that *we* are Reformed; not that *I* am Reformed], so this is quite a matter of interest for me.)
    Be blessed!
    ~Rachel Ramey <><
    member of Faith Baptist Church (SBC)
    Winchester, VA