Ecclesiology discuss How far is too far to travel to a church? in the Theological Forum forums; When a brother is in a situation where there isn't a Reformed church nearby, how far is too far for him to travel to go ...

Philip A is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore

How far is too far to travel to a church?

When a brother is in a situation where there isn't a Reformed church nearby, how far is too far for him to travel to go to one? Can he legitimately go to a distant church when he lives so far away that he can't be very involved in the life of the church, show hospitality to the brethren, etc.?

How far do you all travel to go to your church?
    Philip A - Member, High Desert United Reformed Church, Apple Valley, CA.

"Reason also is choice" - Milton, Paradise Lost
    "And then shall every word also seem consistent to him, if he for his part diligently read the Scriptures in company with those who are presbyters in the Church, among whom is the apostolic doctrine, as I have pointed out." - Irenaeus, Against Heresies, IV:XXXII.
    "where there is text, there is hope" - Richard A. Muller

jaybird0827 is offline. PuritanBoard Honor Roll
    Blog Entries
    For 4 years we drove 125 miles one way from Pennsylvania, across Maryland, and into northern Virginia. We did that twice, sometimes three times a month. On the in-between Sundays we attended a local "reformed" (the quote unquote is mine). Trust me, the greater hardship for us was the local scenario, despite the weariness we felt from 5+ hours of driving.

We have relocated where we are now in order to be local to our current congregation, meeting 9 miles from our home. Much better.
    ~Jay~
    Husband of ENS, father of J II. | Indian Trail, NC
    disabled - cancer
    Communicant Member, Precentor | Presbyterian Reformed Church of Charlotte, NC | Presbyterian Reformed Church

BJClark is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Philip

When a brother is in a situation where there isn't a Reformed church nearby, how far is too far for him to travel to go to one? Can he legitimately go to a distant church when he lives so far away that he can't be very involved in the life of the church, show hospitality to the brethren, etc.?

How far do you all travel to go to your church?
    I travel about 5 minutes....I could walk to church if I wanted too...

However, in the past I have driven 20 miles, and other times I have driven 50, not that far really, but it was certainly worth the drive.

I have some friends who drive 2 hours to get to church, they come up from a little town down state, not that their aren't any churches in their area, they moved down there from here, but they were involved in various ministries and weren't willing to just leave it behind, so they make the drive. They drive up the night before visit with friends and go to church the next morning.

Personally, I think I would look for something closer if at all possible, so that I can fellowship with folks locally.
    Bobbi Clark
    Covenant Member
    Pinewood Pres. (PCA) Middleburg

When I kept Silent, My bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. Psalm 32:3

Blue Tick is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    My wife and I currently drive 50 minutes to church. I enjoy the drive it helps prepare me for worship. Currently we are in Tacoma, we travel to Olympia for worship. The downside is that it is hard to get close to people when you are far away. We are moving back to Salt Lake City in 2 weeks which will be much closer to our church home.
    John
    Christ Presbyterian Church (OPC)
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    [url]www.christpres.net[/url]

matt01 is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    I was driving close to 3 hours each way for a time. It certainly hampers the worship of God, as well as fellowship. I would probably attend a closer church, as long as I could do so in good conscience. This is what we do in our current situation. There is a Reformed church in Minneapolis, but we can not handle driving 2.5 hours each way, so we attend a local Reformed congregation.
    Matt
    Reformed Baptist
    Reformed Bible Fellowship

SRoper is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    I drive about ten minutes.
    Scott R.
    Deacon (inactive)
    Member of Northwoods Presbyterian Church (PCA)
    Cheyenne, WY

Pilgrim is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    I drive less than 10 minutes now but in the past have drive 20-25 minutes to attend other churches before I began regularly attending the OPC I am a member of now.

There are many areas with no Reformed or even Reformed leaning church nearby. I think this is particularly true in many rural areas. Another possibility for someone in that situation is to try to find out if there are perhaps any other like-minded believers in the area that they could have a Bible study with that could possibly evolve into a church plant. For instance, I believe that every OPC Presbytery has a Regional Home Missionary that may be aware of possible interest in certain areas and I'm guessing that other Reformed denominations may function similarly.
    Chris
    Currently seeking a church--in transition
    One Pilgrims Progress |Twitter

And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come. Luke 19:13

Kevin is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    I drive 4 min.

A better question is how many churches do you drive past?
    TE Kevin Rogers
    MNA Church Planter
    Redeemer Community Church
    Moncton NB

NaphtaliPress is offline. Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Plenty of bad ones to get to one I can worship in with a clear conscience. About 17 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I drive 4 min.

A better question is how many churches do you drive past?
    Chris Coldwell, Lakewood Presbyterian Church (PCA), Dallas, Texas.
    • Naphtali Press: Presbyterian & Reformed Books
    • Westminster Letter Press
    The Confessional Presbyterian Journal
    The Blue Banner Archive
    Calvin in the Hands of the Philistines: Did Calvin Bowl on the Sabbath?
    The Regulative Principle: The Scriptures are the “only infallible rule of faith and practice, no rite or ceremony ought to have a place in the public worship of God, which is not warranted in Scripture, either by direct precept or example, or by good and sufficient inference” (Samuel Miller).
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Joining PB's Politics & Government Forum

Kevin is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    I guess I should have qualified that a bit. What I was refering to was the practice of some (not just reformed folks) who seem to never find a pure enough church.
    TE Kevin Rogers
    MNA Church Planter
    Redeemer Community Church
    Moncton NB

NaphtaliPress is offline. Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I guess I should have qualified that a bit. What I was refering to was the practice of some (not just reformed folks) who seem to never find a pure enough church.
    Well, yes, there are those types to be sure.
    Chris Coldwell, Lakewood Presbyterian Church (PCA), Dallas, Texas.
    • Naphtali Press: Presbyterian & Reformed Books
    • Westminster Letter Press
    The Confessional Presbyterian Journal
    The Blue Banner Archive
    Calvin in the Hands of the Philistines: Did Calvin Bowl on the Sabbath?
    The Regulative Principle: The Scriptures are the “only infallible rule of faith and practice, no rite or ceremony ought to have a place in the public worship of God, which is not warranted in Scripture, either by direct precept or example, or by good and sufficient inference” (Samuel Miller).
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Joining PB's Politics & Government Forum

ChristopherPaul is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    My family consistently seems to average 20 minutes (NJ and NC).

The Church is called to go out, so ideally there should be a church within reasonable distance, preferable one in every town (Titus 1:5).

I think 20-30 minutes time is about as far as one should be expected to travel. Being that many of the churches are still being put into order, and elders have yet to be appointed in every town as directed, we, as sheep looking for food, are forced to go out and find churches that baptize and teach. In these cases, some may have to treat the situation as the Old Testament Jews did for traveling to Jerusalem. Make the long trip and spend the night and Lord’s Day with friends.
    Christopher Reeder
    Husband to Kara, Father to Abigail (11), Caleb (10), Grace (9), Zoë (7), Elijah (6), Hannah (4), Mary (2), Philip (1), and Boy (in womb)

Member: Greenville Presbyterian Church, Free Church of Scotland (Continuing), Greenville, SC