See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Ecclesiology discuss Church membership question in the Theological Forum forums; I heard today that legally another church cannot tell another church why a member was under discipline. Apparently if a pastor calls a former church ...

CIT
    CIT is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate

Church membership question

I heard today that legally another church cannot tell another church why a member was under discipline. Apparently if a pastor calls a former church to inquire about a member wanting to join his congregation, the former church can only say, "They left in good/bad standing."

Is this true?
    B

C. M. Sheffield is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Blog Entries
    No. The church that the person is coming from is free to share as much or as little information as they like.

Zenas is offline. Snow Miser
    Dunno why they wouldn't be free to say.
    The following users found this post helpful:

Andrew
    Member, Independent Presbyterian Church (PCA)

Contra_Mundum is offline. Pilgrim, Alien, Stranger
    Sounds like they are assuming that laws pertaining to employers (who cannot tell a later potential employer if they terminated an applicant for cause or why) apply to any and all organizations--clubs, societies, churches, etc.

Such an assumption is not true. And if it was, I can't imagine that faithful churches would obey a law that required them to go against conscience and the Word of God.
    Rev. Bruce G. Buchanan
    ChainOLakes Presbyterian Church, CentralLake, MI

Made both Lord and Christ--Jesus, the Destroyer
    Acts 2:36 - 1 Cor. 10:9-10 & 15:22-26 - Hebrews 2:9-15 - 1 John 3:8 - James 4:12

When posting friends, kindly bear those words of earthly wisdom in mind:

Oh, that God the gift would give us
    To see ourselves as others see us.
    --Robert Burns, 1786 (modernized) ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions? -- Sermons
    4 member(s) found this post helpful.

CIT
    CIT is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Good to know guys. Thanks for the insight.
    B

Scottish Lass is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Bruce beat me to my first thought, but since congregants aren't employees, I can't imagine how it could be applicable.
    Anna
    Wife of Tim/Marrow Man
    Mother of Grace Cameron
    Louisville, KY
    Member of Midlane Park Presbyterian (Associate Reformed Presbyterian)

He who does not hate the false does not love the true ~ Spurgeon

Updates on Gracie: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/gracephillips2010

Edward is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Honesty may draw a lawsuit. Even if the church wins, it can get expensive. And while truth is a defense to libel or slander, it may not be a defense to an invasion of privacy suit. The church should probably work with a local attorney to draft a policy on disclosure of information, make the policy known to the congregation, and then strictly follow that policy. That should lessen the risk. Dealing with the situation on an ad hoc basis is usually the most dangerous approach.
    Edward
    Deacon
    PCA
    Texas
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

Jack K is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Honesty may draw a lawsuit. Even if the church wins, it can get expensive. And while truth is a defense to libel or slander, it may not be a defense to an invasion of privacy suit. The church should probably work with a local attorney to draft a policy on disclosure of information, make the policy known to the congregation, and then strictly follow that policy. That should lessen the risk. Dealing with the situation on an ad hoc basis is usually the most dangerous approach.
    At a church I was part of members signed a paper acknowledging this. As you suggest, the legal concern was not slander (truth is a defense) but invasion of privacy. Our society generally doesn't understand how what happens in one church can be any other church's business.
    Jack K.
    PCA, worshiping with some fine Baptists in Colorado
    Gospel Teacher website
    Show Them Jesus: Teaching the Gospel to Kids

SolaSaint is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    I served as a clerk of a SBC church and was instructed to send specific information to churches that requested a letter of transfer. Of course this was only for within the SBC. I thought it was very important but never considered legal ramifications.
    Rick
    Teacher/Apologist
    Baptist
    SE Missouri

VictorBravo is offline. Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I'm guessing that some churches have insurance agents who tell them this. I'm thinking of a case I handled representing a Lutheran church that handled a discipline case badly and got sued. It was dismissed on our argument that the state had no business adjudicating a church discipline issue, but it did cost the insurance company litigation expenses.

But people and organizations can be sued for all sorts of invalid reasons. That shouldn't make a church afraid to do what it is obligated to do.
    R. Victor Bottomly
    Port Cities Reformed Baptist Church, Lewiston ID

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- How to access Politics and Government forum
    2 member(s) found this post helpful.