See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

View Poll Results: What is your Millenial Position?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Premillenial

9 7.69%
  • Amillenial

86 73.50%
  • Postmillenial

22 18.80%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Revelation & Eschatology discuss What is your Millennial Position? in the The Scriptures forums; Since we are already talking about this issue, I thought we would do a poll to see where everyone on PB stands on this issue....

Bill The Baptist is offline. Puritanboard Junior

What is your Millennial Position?

Since we are already talking about this issue, I thought we would do a poll to see where everyone on PB stands on this issue.
    Bill
    Pitching my tent and building my altar
    (SBC)

Backwoods Presbyterian is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries
    Post-Mill
    Rev. Benjamin P. Glaser, M. Div, ARP
    Pastor, Ellisville Presbyterian Church, ARP
    Ellisville, Mississippi

‎‎"Ministers of the Gospel, when dispensing the truths of God, must preach home to their own souls, as well as unto others. Sir's, we do not deliver truths or doctrines to you, wherein we ourselves have no manner of concern. No, our own souls are at the stake, and shall either perish or be saved eternally, as we receive or reject these precious truths which we deliver unto you. And truly, it can never be expected that we will apply the truths of God with any warmth or liveliness unto others, unless we first make a warm application thereof to our own souls. And if we do not feed upon these doctrines, and practise these duties, which we deliver to and inculcate upon you, though we preach unto others, we ourselves are but castaways." -- Ebenezer Erskine, "The Assurance of Faith", pg. 8

Deo Vindice

sastark is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by Backwoods Presbyterian View Post
    Post-Mill
    Seth Stark
    Member, Grace Presbyterian Church (OPC), Springfield, IL (though I live in Decatur, IL)

(Formerly Ruling Elder, Communion Presbyterian Church (ARP), Irvine, CA)
    M.A. Science and Religion, Biola University
    The Ruling Elder Blog
    LIKE The Ruling Elder on Facebook!

PuritanCovenanter is offline. The Norseman Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Post Mil and Amil are close depending on whether or not you are an optimistic Amil or not and whether or not you hold to a literal 1000 year reign or not from the Post Mil position.

Norseman Moderator

Randy Martin Snyder
    RPCNA Covenanter's Blog

"Our object should not be to have scripture on our side but to be on the side of scripture; and however dear any sentiment may have become by being long entertained, so soon as it is seen to be contrary to the Bible, we must be prepared to abandon it without hesitation."
    William Symington

RSI FacebookReformation Society of Indiana
    Twitter RPCNACovenanter
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions? -- Joining PB Politics and Government Forums

ryanhamre is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Amil
    Ryan
    Glendale, AZ
    Sovereign Grace Bible Church
    1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith

Trip Lee-
    We gotta grow, we can’t stay in the same place
    We gotta grow, we gotta be seeking His face

kainos01 is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Amil
    Steve Curtis, DMin
    President, Timothy Two Project, International
    Ph.D., Missiology (candidate)
    RE, EPC
    Home: Wilmington, NC
    Living in the Philippines

tcalbrecht is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    See here.
    Tom Albrecht
    Grace & Peace PCA, Pottstown, PA.

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

Jeffriesw is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Amil.

Sent from my iPhone

T.A.G. is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    I believe that only the faithful baptist churches get raptured and then a 7yr tribulation for non baptist churches and non believers and then for a 1000 years Jesus will be in Jerusalem finally as King.

Yes folks, that is actually a belief, though of course I don't believe that, Post-Mill-Powers-Activate
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

discipulo is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Amil

Responding to Richard's suggestion on a similar thread that Amills are Postmills that lost their nerve, I say Amills are realistic Postmills.

Yes, the Lord is gathering His Church, but the world still lies in the power of the evil one 1 John 5:19, and only when Christ returns then definitely things will really get better!
    César Proença

there is no will nor running by which we can prepare the way for our salvation, it is wholly of the Divine Mercy Jean Calvin Institutes II . V. 17

Reformed Churches in The Netherlands (liberated) http://www.gkv.nl/main.asp?intTreeviewID=954

Igreja Reformada em Massamá Portugal http://www.igrejareformada.pt

Church Creek Presbyterian, PCA, Charleston, SC. Visiting member http://www.church-creek.org

Quote Originally Posted by T.A.G. View Post
    I believe that only the faithful baptist churches get raptured and then a 7yr tribulation for non baptist churches and non believers and then for a 1000 years Jesus will be in Jerusalem finally as King.
    Yeah, and Jesus wrote the KJV. You had me going there for a minute.
    Bill
    (SBC)

Reformed Thomist is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Postmill.
    N.F. Tyler, Hon. B.A. with Distinction (St. Michael's College, Toronto)
    St. Paul's, Bloor Street (Anglican Church of Canada)
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Evangelical, Calvinistic, Prayer Book'er

Thirty-Nine Articles

discipulo is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by PuritanCovenanter View Post
    Post Mil and Amil are close depending on whether or not you are an optimistic Amil or not and whether or not you hold to a literal 1000 year reign or not from the Post Mil position.
    Not to mention that the Premills may be Historical - more likely the ones here on the PB - or Dispensational Premills.

On another thread there were also the Pan-Mills, the Saw-mills, the Other-Mills, etc....
    César Proença

there is no will nor running by which we can prepare the way for our salvation, it is wholly of the Divine Mercy Jean Calvin Institutes II . V. 17

Reformed Churches in The Netherlands (liberated) http://www.gkv.nl/main.asp?intTreeviewID=954

Igreja Reformada em Massamá Portugal http://www.igrejareformada.pt

Church Creek Presbyterian, PCA, Charleston, SC. Visiting member http://www.church-creek.org

kodos is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore

MLCOPE2 is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by discipulo View Post
    Amil

Responding to Richard's suggestion on a similar thread that Amills are Postmills that lost their nerve, I say Amills are realistic Postmills.

Yes, the Lord is gathering His Church, but the world still lies in the power of the evil one 1 John 5:19, and only when Christ returns then definitely things will really get better!
    I couldn't have said it better myself!
    Michael Cope
    Westminster Presbyterian Church - PCA (Covenanter by conviction)
    Fort Myers, FL

"Some people have greatness thrust upon them. Very few have excellence thrust upon them...They achieve it. They do not achieve it unwittingly by 'doing what comes naturally' and they don't stumble into it in the course of amusing themselves. All excellence involves discipline and tenacity of purpose." John Gardner

Rich Koster is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Blog Entries
    I couldn't vote. I'm an Acts 1:11er.
    Rich Koster
    Browns Mills NJ USA
    Member of Covenant Baptist, Lumberton NJ (1689ers)
    http://cbclumberton.wordpress.com/

Thankful that I'm not saved by merit badges
    Romans 7:14-25

JM
    JM is offline. Puritanboard Professor
    I moved from Pretrib Premil => Prewrath Premil => Historic Premil => Amil. After being frustrated with doing my best to justify a Premil understanding I set aside the study of eschatology altogether. About a year latter while discussing the Premil coming of Christ with someone I realized the position just didn't make all that much sense.

jm
    Jason
    Particular Baptist
    Ontario, Canada
    twitter
    Feileadh Mor
    YouTube

We must remember that literally all our salvation is in Christ. - Herman Hoeksema

Berean is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Amil
    Norm
    PCA
    Iowa

Our fair morning is at hand, the daystar is near the rising, and we are not many miles from home; what matters the ill entertainment in the smoky inns of this miserable life? We are not to stay here, and we will be dearly welcome to Him whom we go to. --The Loveliness of Christ, Samuel Rutherford

DMcFadden is offline. Meum cerebrum nocet
    Amil. Premil for most of my life; Amil last several years. Sortof when I became a man, I put away . . . Oh, never mind!

Nevertheless, it must be admitted that Premils (at least of the dispensational kind) have all the cool charts, graphics, novels, stacks of totally certain books, exacting calendars, and scary movies. What do Amils have . . . nerdy seminary professors with European family names and a lot of "I don't knows." Man, what a ripoff.

Dennis E. McFadden, Ex Mainline Baptist (in Remission)
    Atherton Baptist Homes, Alhambra, CA, President/CEO, Retired
    Emmanuel Lutheran Church, LCMS

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?
    2 member(s) found this post helpful.

Joshua is offline. _
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill The Baptist View Post
    What is your Millennial Position?
    Somewhere before the end.
    Josh
    CCRPC, RPCGA
    For God will save Zion, and will build the cities of Judah: that they may dwell there, and have it in
    possession. The seed also of his servants shall inherit it: and they that love his name shall dwell
    therein.- Ps. 69

Scot is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Amil but strongly considering postmil.
    Dan
    OPC
    Pennsylvania

My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to always be ready, no matter when it may overtake me. - Stonewall Jackson

semperreformata is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Amil
    John
    Phoenix,Arizona
    Member of Sovereign Grace Bible Church (FIRE)

"But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world."
    (Galatians 6:14)

Stephen L Smith is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    I have previously said to my Premill brethren that the only advantage I can see of the Premill view is that it gives the church another 1000 years to baptise all the Paedobaptists before we all enter heaven.
    Stephen Smith
    Reformed Baptist
    New Zealand

T.A.G. is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen L Smith View Post
    I have previously said to my Premill brethren that the only advantage I can see of the Premill view is that it gives the church another 1000 years to baptise all the Paedobaptists before we all enter heaven.
    haha Greatness

Scot is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen L Smith View Post
    You mean that it will give the credos 1000 yrs. to repent of denying the covenant sign to their children before we all enter heaven.
    Dan
    OPC
    Pennsylvania

My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to always be ready, no matter when it may overtake me. - Stonewall Jackson
    2 member(s) found this post helpful.

Scott1 is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    It's helpful to divide premillennialism into:

1) classical premillennialism
    2) modern dispensational premillennialism
    Scott
    PCA
    North Carolina

Post Tenebras Lux; "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away." - Revelation 21:4

Osage Bluestem is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Wow! Only 2 Premillenial people on the whole board after two days of this thread being open!

If I had known that I would have never posted a thread asking for premillenial resources. I apologize. I didn't know ya'll were so anti premill. I certainly wasn't trying to start a stink. I honestly thought there were a lot of premil people here as well as the other views.

This is obviously not a forum for me to discuss eschatology in so I will refrain from that forever more on the PB and stick to things we have in common. I am interested in eschatology so I will discuss it in other places with premillenial people so I can grow in that area though.
    David Doss
    First Baptist Church of Colleyville Texas (SBC)
    LBCF 1689

www.osagebluestem.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Osage Bluestem View Post
    This is obviously not a forum for me to discuss eschatology in so I will refrain from that forever more on the PB and stick to things we have in common. I am interested in eschatology so I will discuss it in other places with premillenial people so I can grow in that area though.
    I don't mind discussing and debating, in fact I enjoy it. You just have to keep in mind that most people are going to disagree with you about eschatology on the PB.
    Bill
    (SBC)

Osage Bluestem is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    I don't mind discussing and debating, in fact I enjoy it. You just have to keep in mind that most people are going to disagree with you about eschatology on the PB.
    Thanks. I understand. However, I'm not really in a position to really debate eschatology as I haven't spent as much time in it as I should, so in that thread I was actually just looking for older and wiser premils to give me some resources.

I think debate is great and healty for christians as long as it is understood to be constructive and not combative.
    David Doss
    First Baptist Church of Colleyville Texas (SBC)
    LBCF 1689

www.osagebluestem.wordpress.com

torstar is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Wow! Only 2 Premillenial people on the whole board after two days of this thread being open!

If I had known that I would have never posted a thread asking for premillenial resources. I apologize. I didn't know ya'll were so anti premill. I certainly wasn't trying to start a stink. I honestly thought there were a lot of premil people here as well as the other views.

No stink is taken, it is a touchy subject sometimes.

A good question would be how many former pre-mills are now amill.
    Kent
    URCNA
    Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by torstar View Post
    Let's face it, Dispensationalism has ruined the Premillenial view. Many people may still lean towards a premill understanding, but they are so embarrased by the Dispy crowd that they have moved to amillenialism out of pure shame.
    Bill
    (SBC)

torstar is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by torstar View Post
    Let's face it, Dispensationalism has ruined the Premillenial view. Many people may still lean towards a premill understanding, but they are so embarrased by the Dispy crowd that they have moved to amillenialism out of pure shame.

I don't want to recall a few chats I had back in the day with people trying to convince me of amill or other Reformed matters...

Gratitude is given to those who patiently and lovingly waited me out.
    Kent
    URCNA
    Toronto

DMcFadden is offline. Meum cerebrum nocet
    Bill nailed it. The premil view has a long and respectable history. Early church writers tended toward a naive premillennialism, unfettered by the distinctions and caveats of later writers, particularly the dispensational ones. Among the NT scholarly fraternity, premils often say that the "only reason" they continue to be premil is the difficulty of reading Rev. 20 otherwise.

Schreiner is the rare example of a fellow who moved from the amil to the premil camp, most go in the opposite direction. In fact, I have known a number of folks who have moved from the premil to amil camps (like me), but Schreiner is just about the only one I can remember moving in the opposite direction.

David, there are more premils on the PB than answered the survey. The real point of argument on PB typically concerns the differences between amil and postmil, even though the one is a subset of the other. Go figure. I guess we reserve our hottest rhetoric for those who differ from us yet are closest to us.
    Last edited by DMcFadden; 05-16-2011 at 05:10 PM.
    Dennis E. McFadden, Ex Mainline Baptist (in Remission)
    Atherton Baptist Homes, Alhambra, CA, President/CEO, Retired
    Emmanuel Lutheran Church, LCMS

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Scott1 is offline. Puritanboard Doctor

What I've learned here on the Board, and what was not clear to me in the past is that,

Premillennialism assumes two resurrections, two separate events rather than the one event of the Westminster Standards (and that of the doctrine of Scripture).

Also, modern dispensational premillennialism assumes only a physical resurrections, that is "resurrection" means physical resurrection only. Reformed uses "resurrection" as BOTH spiritual (the first death) and physical (when bodies are resurrected at the Second coming).

Modern dispensational premillennialism is an extreme form of classical premillennialism, and the former is completely intertwined with dispensationalism, no way around it.

I would have been surprised too, in the not distant past....
    Scott
    PCA
    North Carolina

Post Tenebras Lux; "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away." - Revelation 21:4

Gage Browning is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    PAN-Mil...."it will all Pan-Out in the end!" ... (Actually Amil)...
    Gage Browning (Layman)
    Grace Community Presbyterian Church
    PCA Fort Worth, Texas

Peairtach is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Postmil. This survey seems to happen every six months on the PB.

I think postmillennialism sometimes suffers from some of its advocates over-exaggerating the nature of the Golden Age before Christ's return, when it would be more accurate to posit a Silver Age.

Heaven and the New Heavens and the New Earth will be Golden compared to the best of the postmillennial Silver Age.

E.g. True Christians will still struggle with their weight during the Silver Age.

Many Christians are already enjoying a Postmillennial lifestyle - in measure - even in our own day,

but they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree, and no one shall make them afraid, for the mouth of the LORD of hosts has spoken. (Micah 4:4, ESV)
    although many believers don't.
    Last edited by Peairtach; 05-06-2011 at 08:09 PM.
    Richard Tallach
    communicant member,
    Knox Free Church,
    Perth, Scotland GB

His Name forever shall endure;
    last like the sun it shall:
    Men shall be blessed in Him,
    and blessed all nations shall Him call (Ps. 72:17)

Quote Originally Posted by DMcFadden View Post
    Among the NT scholarly fraternity, premils often say that the "only reason" they continue to be premil is the difficulty of reading Rev. 30 otherwise.
    Yes, Revelation 30 has always proved a bit tricky exegetically . . .
    Last edited by DMcFadden; 05-16-2011 at 05:11 PM.
    Steve Curtis, DMin
    RE, EPC

Gord is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Thanks in Christ
    Gord
    Burlington, Ontario
    Trinity Baptist Church
    By the decree of God, for the manifestation of his glory, some men and angels are predestinated unto everlasting life, and others foreordained to everlasting death.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord View Post
    Pre Mil. Why Every Calvinist Should Be a Premillennialist
    I love Macarthur as much as anyone, but in this area he is a dispensationalist through and through.
    Bill
    (SBC)

Quote Originally Posted by Gord View Post
    Pre Mil. Why Every Calvinist Should Be a Premillennialist
    And Sam Waldron's response to MacArthur:

Amazon.com: MacArthur's Millennial Manifesto (9780980217926): Samuel E. Waldron: Books
    Steve Curtis, DMin
    RE, EPC

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast