See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

NT Epistles discuss What is Peters conversion? LUKE 22:32 in the The Scriptures forums; "But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren." What is the conversion of Peter ...

clinpep05 is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Blog Entries

What is Peters conversion? LUKE 22:32

"But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren."

What is the conversion of Peter the Lord said would occur? Peter was already converted to Christianity.

Can anyone clear this up for me?
    Clinton Callaway
    Silsbee Baptist Church
    Silsbee, Texas

"It does make a difference what you believe" H. Frank Fort

Blog Entries
    but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers.

~ESV
    But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren.

~NKJV
    IOW, when he had repented.
    "Is this not a brand plucked from the fire?” - Zechariah 3:2

James Helbert, Wytheville, VA
    Providence Reformed Presbyterian Church, RPCUS

GraceAndLaw.net / The Edinburgh Inn

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Dennis1963 is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    I think it means after he is sifted by the devil, and returns. And during the passover. Because Jesus said, "But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not."
    And after Pentecost he did just that, boldly.

My two cents.
    Name:Dennis
    Church:New Hartford, Ct. Community baptist Church.

"May our hearts be so exorcised by God's word as to give the Holy Spirit opportunity to perfect the new creation."

clinpep05 is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Blog Entries
    but I made supplication for thee, that thy faith fail not; and do thou, when once thou hast turned again, establish thy brethren. asv

I think your right... "Turned again" is used here in the asv Repent (change of mind) or returned to me meaning repentence from the sin of denial. Oooops... I think i was overthinking...lol

Thanks
    Anyone else?
    Last edited by clinpep05; 08-07-2011 at 11:52 PM.
    Clinton Callaway
    Silsbee Baptist Church
    Silsbee, Texas

"It does make a difference what you believe" H. Frank Fort

Jack K is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    As I understand it, the Greek "epistrepho" that's used here means to turn or return. The original question is a fair one, since the word is used in some of Luke's writings to clearly mean conversion: "Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out" (Acts 3:19); "We also are men of like passions with you, and preach unto you that ye should turn from these vanities unto the living God, which made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all things that are therein" (Acts 14:15); "To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins" (Acts 26:18).

But it doesn't always mean conversion in the way we have assigned to that word a technical theological meaning denoting a person's initial turning to God. It is often used simply for a person literally turning around or going back to somewhere he'd been before: "The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen" (Luke 2:20). The shepherds weren't converted. They simply went back to their fields.

In the case of Peter, I would agree with others here that it makes most sense that Jesus was speaking of Peter returning to the behavior and status of a faithful Christ follower, not an initial conversion.
    Jack K.
    PCA, worshiping with some fine Baptists in Colorado
    Gospel Teacher website
    Show Them Jesus: Teaching the Gospel to Kids
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

InSlaveryToChrist is offline now. Puritanboard Junior
    Blog Entries
    Here is a recommended sermon by John Piper on the subject:

The Sifting of Simon*Peter - Desiring God
    Samuel
    Attending a small congregation belonging to the United Methodist Church
    Lahti, Finland

"To doubt God's mercy because our faith is feeble, is rather to rely upon our faith than upon the Lord. It is not the excellency and great measure of faith that makes us righteous before God, but Christ whom faith does receive and apprehend: which a weak faith can do as well as the strongest." ~John Ball (Puritan)

surnamelevi is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by InSlaveryToChrist View Post
    Here is a recommended sermon by John Piper on the subject:

The Sifting of Simon*Peter - Desiring God

Very helpful.
    Matthew Smithson
    Friendship Baptist Church
    Lincoln Park, MI

“Who loves not wine, women and song, Remains a fool his whole life long” ~Martin Luther