OT Prophets discuss Did Nebuchadnezzer come to saving faith in God? in the The Scriptures forums; ...

Herald is offline. Moderator

Did Nebuchadnezzer come to saving faith in God?

Did Nebuchadnezzer become a believer?
    Bill Brown
    Elder
    Grace Baptist Church
    Student at Midwest Center for Theological Studies

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Reformed Covenanter is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries
    I believe he did. You may wish to consult Stuart Olyott's Dare to Stand Alone for a defence of this view. And I believe E.J. Young also takes this position.

Most of the older commentators disagree, but if Nebuchadnezzar was not saved, then I am not sure who ever has been. Keep in mind that his profession of faith in the sovereign God was a lot stronger than that of most Arminian Christians today.
    Daniel
    RPCI
    Northern Ireland
    "May that happy period soon arrive when the unclouded glory of divine revelation will shine from pole to pole; when men every where will see eye to eye, in all things that are connected with divine glory, and with their own eternal felicity." William Stavely (Irish Covenanter), An appeal to light (1796), pp 143-4

AV1611 is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by North Jersey Baptist View Post
    I am not convinced that he did, but I would be happy to be wrong
    Richard
    CofE
    UK

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AV1611 View Post
    Since there is nothing in the Biblical text to say that he did not, then surely the judgment of charity must cause us to conclude that he was?
    Daniel
    RPCI
    Northern Ireland
    "May that happy period soon arrive when the unclouded glory of divine revelation will shine from pole to pole; when men every where will see eye to eye, in all things that are connected with divine glory, and with their own eternal felicity." William Stavely (Irish Covenanter), An appeal to light (1796), pp 143-4

I wonder whether a parallel an be drawn between Nebuchadnezzer's confession and Nineveh's repentance in Jonah? Interesting.
    Bill Brown
    Elder
    Grace Baptist Church

Blog Entries
    I wonder whether a parallel an be drawn between Nebuchadnezzer's confession and Nineveh's repentance in Jonah? Interesting.
    Didn't Nebuchadnezzar die shortly after this? So that we cannot proffer any reason why his profession was not genuine?
    Daniel
    RPCI
    Northern Ireland

Daniel,

I believe he did die shortly thereafter.

Daniel seemed to have an affection for Nebuchadnezzar. Daniel said to the king:

Daniel 4:19 19 "Then Daniel, whose name is Belteshazzar, was appalled for a while as his thoughts alarmed him. The king responded and said, 'Belteshazzar, do not let the dream or its interpretation alarm you.' Belteshazzar replied, 'My lord, if only the dream applied to those who hate you and its interpretation to your adversaries!
    Notice that Nebuchadnezzar does not react in anger against Daniel for his foreboding interpretation. At the end of the interpretation Daniel says:

Daniel 4:27 27 'Therefore, O king, may my advice be pleasing to you: break away now from your sins by doing righteousness and from your iniquities by showing mercy to the poor, in case there may be a prolonging of your prosperity.'
    Daniel did not share the same affection for Belshazzar, Nebuchadnezzar's son. When summoned to interpret the handwriting on the wall, and after being offered gifts and a promotion, Daniel said:

Daniel 5:17 17 Then Daniel answered and said before the king, "Keep your gifts for yourself or give your rewards to someone else; however, I will read the inscription to the king and make the interpretation known to him.
    Daniel 5:22 22 "Yet you, his son, Belshazzar, have not humbled your heart, even though you knew all this,
    Notice that Daniel never pleaded with Belshazzar to change his ways.
    Bill Brown
    Elder
    Grace Baptist Church

Backwoods Presbyterian is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Daniel. Nebuchadnezzar, I believe, gave a credible and beautiful profession of faith.
    Rev. Benjamin P. Glaser, M. Div, ARP
    Pastor, Ellisville Presbyterian Church, ARP
    Ellisville, Mississippi

‎‎"Ministers of the Gospel, when dispensing the truths of God, must preach home to their own souls, as well as unto others. Sir's, we do not deliver truths or doctrines to you, wherein we ourselves have no manner of concern. No, our own souls are at the stake, and shall either perish or be saved eternally, as we receive or reject these precious truths which we deliver unto you. And truly, it can never be expected that we will apply the truths of God with any warmth or liveliness unto others, unless we first make a warm application thereof to our own souls. And if we do not feed upon these doctrines, and practise these duties, which we deliver to and inculcate upon you, though we preach unto others, we ourselves are but castaways." -- Ebenezer Erskine, "The Assurance of Faith", pg. 8

Deo Vindice

VirginiaHuguenot is offline. Puritanboard Librarian
    Blog Entries

Pilgrim Standard is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    I don't see by what grounds one would say that he did not come to saving faith in God.
    And ditto to Daniel Ritchie "Keep in mind that his profession of faith in the sovereign God was a lot stronger than that of most Arminian Christians today."
    Benjamin
    Member - Presbyterian Reformed Church, Columbus, Indiana

“In death it will be your joy that ye have ventured all ye have for Christ; and there is not a promise of heaven made but to such as are willing to suffer for it. It is a castle taken by force.”. — Samuel Rutherford

caddy is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by AV1611 View Post
    I agree

Grymir is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    I agree with Daniel Ritchie too, esp his great sentence about the profession of faith better than arminian church's! I don't think that someone could say things about God the way Nebuchadnezzer did unless he was saved. (It was recorded by Daniel and is the word of God, so if he was faking, it would have said so or not been written down)
    Timothy Johnson
    First United Presbyterian of Moline
    PCUSA (Yea, I know)
    Theology/Philosophy Sunday School Teacher
    Davenport, IA

JonathanHunt is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    I hope so, but I don't know so.
    Jonathan Hunt

Pastor, Morton Baptist Church Thornbury, South Gloucestershire, United Kingdom since 2012

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence. -- Thomas Elsworth

*Please note* I've been a member of this board for over ten years. Things I wrote in 2004 and intervening years do not neccessarily represent my attitudes or positions now. Thank you!

Wannabee is offline. Obi Wan Kenobi
    I'm not sure what you could mean here. Maybe I misunderstood. But if this is pointing out a possible relationship in time and location, the two won't go together. I might get a few details wrong here, but overall the record is pretty close. And the spelling of names may be off too.
    Nebuchadnezzar was the king of Babylon (the Chaldeans). Nineveh was the capital of Assyria. The chronology of power lied in Assyria, Babylon and then the Persians and the Medes before Alexander the Great invaded the region (Wasn't it Xerxes I, the Persian, to set out to destroy Athens and was met by the 300 Spartans at Battle of Thermopylae? That would have been about 480 B.C.).
    In the late 800s Shalmanezer (sp?) III was the king. Jehu bowed down to him and swore Israel's fealty to Assyria, but Judah did not. Shortly after this would have been the time of Jonah, around 790. Then, in the late 700s Tiglath Peneser came against Judah after King Uzziah died (735). It is speculated that Nineveh's repentance accounts for her relative silence during the first half of the 700s. Nebuchadnezzar wasn't until later, obviously.

Well, it goes something like that. Perhaps our resident historians can correct my mistakes. The point is, the repentance of Nineveh and Nebuchadnezzar are not related in location or time.
    For the Glory of our King,
    Joe Johnson
    Slave of Christ, husband, father, grandfather and TMS graduate. Personal website - SoundLife.org
    I do not know, and I do not say, that a person cannot believe in Revelation and in evolution, too, for a man may believe that which is infinitely wise and also that which is only asinine. ~ CHS

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabee View Post
    I'm not sure what you could mean here. Maybe I misunderstood. But if this is pointing out a possible relationship in time and location, the two won't go together. I might get a few details wrong here, but overall the record is pretty close. And the spelling of names may be off too.
    Nebuchadnezzar was the king of Babylon (the Chaldeans). Nineveh was the capital of Assyria. The chronology of power lied in Assyria, Babylon and then the Persians and the Medes before Alexander the Great invaded the region (Wasn't it Xerxes I, the Persian, to set out to destroy Athens and was met by the 300 Spartans at Battle of Thermopylae? That would have been about 480 B.C.).
    In the late 800s Shalmanezer (sp?) III was the king. Jehu bowed down to him and swore Israel's fealty to Assyria, but Judah did not. Shortly after this would have been the time of Jonah, around 790. Then, in the late 700s Tiglath Peneser came against Judah after King Uzziah died (735). It is speculated that Nineveh's repentance accounts for her relative silence during the first half of the 700s. Nebuchadnezzar wasn't until later, obviously.

Well, it goes something like that. Perhaps our resident historians can correct my mistakes. The point is, the repentance of Nineveh and Nebuchadnezzar are not related in location or time.
    I was looking at the larger picture, the fact that two heathen kings repented in the face of judgment (one realized, the other impending). It displays God's grace even to gentiles.
    Bill Brown
    Elder
    Grace Baptist Church