See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

OT Wisdom Literature discuss Why is wisdom personified as a woman? in the The Scriptures forums; Pro 4:8 Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honor, when thou dost embrace her. Pro 4:9 She shall give ...

Stargazer65 is offline. Puritanboard Freshman

Why is wisdom personified as a woman?

Pro 4:8 Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honor, when thou dost embrace her.
    Pro 4:9 She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.

...and many other examples.

Men and women have different and complementary characteristics. Is there a characterstic about wisdom that is distinctly feminine?
    Kevin
    Independent Bible Church
    Uncasville, CT
    1689 LBCF

elnwood is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    חָכְמָה (wisdom) is a feminine word in Hebrew, making a woman a more natural choice linguistically for personification.
    Don, missionary candidate
    Baptist
    California

[COLOR="navy"]And they sang a new song, saying, "Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and[/COLOR] [COLOR="red"]by your blood[/COLOR] [COLOR="navy"]you ransomed people for God from [B]every tribe and language and people and nation[/B], and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth."[/COLOR] - Revelation 5:9-10 (ESV)

TimV is offline. Puritanboard Botanist
    When it says call wisdom your wife and knowledge your kinswoman is that the same reason, Don? Your answer above is interesting.
    Tim Vaughan
    Member, Redeemer Presbyterian, OPC,
    Santa Maria
    California

Quote Originally Posted by elnwood View Post
    חָכְמָה (wisdom) is a feminine word in Hebrew, making a woman a more natural choice linguistically for personification.
    Don,
    I'm no Hebrew scholar, are you saying that the translators inserted "she" or "her" to be consistent with the Hebrew word for wisdom?. But then my question becomes "Why is חָכְמָה (wisdom) a feminine word?"
    Kevin
    Independent Bible Church
    Uncasville, CT
    1689 LBCF

he beholds is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Why is wisdom personified as a woman? You mean, there's another possibility???
    J.L.

Contra_Mundum is offline. Pilgrim, Alien, Stranger
    Why is the Hebrew for "breast" (i.e. teat) masculine? (cf. Job.3:12, Ps.22:9, etc.)

Such are not questions that admit of a theologically determinate answer.

The writer of Proverbs traded on the assigned "gender" of the word, which allows him to set "Lady Wisdom" over against "Dame Folly."
    Rev. Bruce G. Buchanan
    ChainOLakes Presbyterian Church, CentralLake, MI

Made both Lord and Christ--Jesus, the Destroyer
    Acts 2:36 - 1 Cor. 10:9-10 & 15:22-26 - Hebrews 2:9-15 - 1 John 3:8 - James 4:12

When posting friends, kindly bear those words of earthly wisdom in mind:

Oh, that God the gift would give us
    To see ourselves as others see us.
    --Robert Burns, 1786 (modernized) ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions? -- Sermons
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by he beholds View Post

I sense some facetiousness in that answer!

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Contra_Mundum View Post
    Why is the Hebrew for "breast" (i.e. teat) masculine? (cf. Job.3:12, etc.)

Such are not questions that admit of a theologically determinate answer.

The writer of Proverbs traded on the assigned "gender" of the word, which allows him to set "Lady Wisdom" over against "Dame Folly."
    That's fair. I was wondering if the fact that Proverbs was addressed to young men, it was implying to seek after wisdom as a young man would seek a young woman.
    Kevin
    Independent Bible Church
    Uncasville, CT
    1689 LBCF

AustinW is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Wisdom is presented as a companion to a wise man. Tim mentioned Prov. 7:4: "Say unto wisdom, Thou [art] my sister; and call understanding [thy] kinswoman." Keeping company with wisdom is also presented in contrast with keeping company with the "strange woman" numerous times in Proverbs.

Given that most of the statements in Proverbs about the righteous/unrighteous life are given with men for examples, e.g. the fool vs. the wise man, and with "my son" as the recipient, it makes sense that the companion of the wise man should be a woman.

Or at least that's what comes to mind.
    2 member(s) found this post helpful.

Jack K is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    Both wisdom and folly are presented as women because they are two opposite enticements to a man. There's some imagery and imagination going on here. We're to think of wisdom and folly as lures to our souls the way a good woman and an evil one might both be enticing a man. That's all.
    Jack K.
    PCA, worshiping with some fine Baptists in Colorado
    Gospel Teacher website
    Show Them Jesus: Teaching the Gospel to Kids
    2 member(s) found this post helpful.

KMK
    KMK is offline. Moderator
    The fact that you had to even ask the question demonstrates that you are a man.

Village Community Church of Wrightwood

Transformation Ministries

"Preparing a sermon is like cooking a meal. You need pots and pans and utensils, but you don't bring them out to the table where people are eating." Derek Thomas

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?
    3 member(s) found this post helpful.

elnwood is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer65 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elnwood View Post
    Don,
    I'm no Hebrew scholar, are you saying that the translators inserted "she" or "her" to be consistent with the Hebrew word for wisdom?. But then my question becomes "Why is חָכְמָה (wisdom) a feminine word?"
    Hebrew verbs in the third person match in gender with the subject, and possessive markers also match with gender. I'm not saying that's the only reason wisdom is a lady, but linguistically, it would be very difficult to personify wisdom as a man in the Hebrew language.

And, as Bruce pointed out, often there's no real rhyme or reason for gender assignments. Spirit is feminine in Hebrew and neuter in the Greek. I think gender varies even across Romance languages.
    Don, missionary candidate
    Baptist
    California

[COLOR="navy"]And they sang a new song, saying, "Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and[/COLOR] [COLOR="red"]by your blood[/COLOR] [COLOR="navy"]you ransomed people for God from [B]every tribe and language and people and nation[/B], and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth."[/COLOR] - Revelation 5:9-10 (ESV)

JennyG is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by he beholds View Post
    and consider, that it isn't only the Hebrew language that assigns a feminine gender to Wisdom.
    Sapientia......Sophia.....sagesse, to name but three. I might be suggesting a certain other gender eat its heart out, if I weren't altogether too wise
    JennyG
    Member, Free Church of Scotland
    Scotland