See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Results 1 to 20 of 20

Quotes Forum discuss Profound Quotation from Carl Trueman in the The Literary Forum forums; And never, ever forget: [Teenagers] made Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus rich and famous. Do you really trust them to assess your preaching gifts? - ...

  1. #1
    Joshua is offline. _
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    20,354
    Blog Entries
    3

    Profound Quotation from Carl Trueman

    And never, ever forget: [Teenagers] made Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus rich and famous. Do you really trust them to assess your preaching gifts? - Carl Trueman



    Source: A postscript on being boring: a relatively simple matter - Reformation21 Blog
    Josh
    CCRPC, RPCGA
    15 member(s) found this post helpful.

  2. #2
    VictorBravo's Avatar
    VictorBravo is offline. Administrator
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    8,438
    Blog Entries
    1
    That is classic.

    --of course, I couldn't comment until I completed my Google search on those two names. I had a vague idea they were singers, but I wasn't sure. . . .

    They might be rich, but their fame has trouble penetrating my consciousness.
    R. Victor Bottomly
    Port Cities Reformed Baptist Church, Lewiston ID

    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- How to access Politics and Government forum

  3. #3
    Joshua is offline. _
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    20,354
    Blog Entries
    3
    Because it bears repeating for the encouragement of teen-criticized ministers.
    Josh
    CCRPC, RPCGA
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Edward's Avatar
    Edward is offline now. Puritanboard Doctor
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,700
    Quote Originally Posted by VictorBravo View Post
    of course, I couldn't comment until I completed my Google search on those two names.
    Billy Ray's daughter.
    Edward
    Deacon
    PCA
    Texas

  5. #5
    Alan D. Strange's Avatar
    Alan D. Strange is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    920
    Billy Ray is a great Christian figure, right? Didn't he sing about a broken heart, or something like that?

    Peace,
    Alan
    Alan D. Strange
    Minister, OPC
    Professor, Mid-America Reformed Seminary
    Dyer, IN

  6. #6
    Sonny's Avatar
    Sonny is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    639
    Blog Entries
    15
    I work with children; one of the kids came up to me and said do you have an Ipod? I said no, could not find a use for one. Do you listen to music? Yes, classic country, bluegrass, classical. (I only listen to that junk called modern country when my soon to be wife is in the car with me, and I grin trying not to throw the radio out of the car when she flips on POP music) The kid asks me, do you listen to so and so, pop music? I answered no. She walks away either sadden by the fact I don't listen or care for junk or the fact she understands I'm old.

    I have a old soul, and its Presbyterian. Enough said. I'm becoming more Presbyterian as I age, and even sports I'm loosing interest in, accept baseball. Baseball is classy, much like the Presbyterian faith. Hahaha....

    Pop music is awful, in fact radio is awful accept for a few artist but when I say few I mean few.

    If Jonathan Edwards were alive today, I wonder what he would say?
    Chris
    Salem Presbyterian (A church plant of the Redeemer Presbyterian network)
    PCA
    North Carolina
    http://spjourney.wordpress.com/
    http://salemws.org/
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    rookie's Avatar
    rookie is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
    I work with children; one of the kids came up to me and said do you have an Ipod? I said no, could not find a use for one. Do you listen to music? Yes, classic country, bluegrass, classical. (I only listen to that junk called modern country when my soon to be wife is in the car with me, and I grin trying not to throw the radio out of the car when she flips on POP music) The kid asks me, do you listen to so and so, pop music? I answered no. She walks away either sadden by the fact I don't listen or care for junk or the fact she understands I'm old.

    I have a old soul, and its Presbyterian. Enough said. I'm becoming more Presbyterian as I age, and even sports I'm loosing interest in, accept baseball. Baseball is classy, much like the Presbyterian faith. Hahaha....

    Pop music is awful, in fact radio is awful accept for a few artist but when I say few I mean few.

    If Jonathan Edwards were alive today, I wonder what he would say?
    He would probably still be preaching, and be in jail for the solid preaching he was doing...
    Ray
    Church member, PCC
    Moncton, NB

    My blog
    www.meetthygod.wordpress.com
    www.rayleger.organogold.com

  8. #8
    earl40's Avatar
    earl40 is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,213
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    He would probably still be preaching, and be in jail for the solid preaching he was doing...
    Hyperbole....
    Earl, a man, married to a girl named Tina.
    Member of Willow Creek Church PCA in Winter Springs Florida.
    2 member(s) found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    timmopussycat's Avatar
    timmopussycat is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,755
    Even when I was much younger the communication gap between me and electronic rock bands was something I definitely cherished and hated to have disappear.
    In Christ's love and service

    Mr. Tim Cunningham,
    Diploma in Christian Studies, Regent College, Vancouver
    Author: How Firm a Foundation? An Exegetical and Historical Critique of the "Ethical Perspective of [Christian] Reconstructionism" Presented in Theonomy in Christian Ethics, Wipf & Stock, 2012.
    Bachelor of Music in Trombone Performance, University of Toronto
    Member, First Baptist Church
    Vancouver, BC
    ------------
    "I once sat in darkness, and waited for the moon to rise.
    I once sat in darkness, and waited for the sun to shine.
    I once sat in darkness, when all the light I'd waited for was gone.
    Then Jesus came, and now the only true light, ever, shines in me."
    – John Deacon -

  10. #10
    armourbearer is offline. Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    11,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
    If Jonathan Edwards were alive today, I wonder what he would say?
    "I'm feeling quite old."
    Yours sincerely,
    Rev. Matthew Winzer
    Australian Free Church,
    Victoria, Australia

    "Illum oportet crescere me autem minui."
    6 member(s) found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    kappazei's Avatar
    kappazei is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    158
    Instead of the generation which made Hugh Hefner rich and famous?
    Bob Yoshimaru

    Calvary Baptist Church, Coquitlam
    British Columbia Baptist Conference, Baptist General Conference

    Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada

    ...'The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God...
    3 member(s) found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    sevenzedek's Avatar
    sevenzedek is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    996
    We live in a society that emphasizes and promotes youthfulness, and de-emphasizes age and stigmatizes all things "old". Its "cool" for an older person to behave youthfully. Modernity is seen as a youthful endeavor, and there is something wrong with those who are older and do not want to "change with the times". How is an elderly person supposed to learn to die gracefully in a culture such as ours? We epitomize the young. So, for those who want to be a "hip" teacher of God's word in some effort to be "up to date" and avoid jumping on the bandwagon, they have jumped on another that is aimed for the ditch.
    Jon Dulin
    OPC
    Virginia

    The real question is not, as often pretended, between the Word of God and the creed of men, but between the tried and proved faith of the collective body of God's people, and the private judgement and the unassisted wisdom of the repudiator of creeds. –A.A. Hodge

  13. #13
    hammondjones's Avatar
    hammondjones is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan D. Strange View Post
    Billy Ray is a great Christian figure, right? Didn't he sing about a broken heart, or something like that?

    Peace,
    Alan
    Yes, as I recall it was a thorough exposition of the doctrine of Head Knowledge vs. Heart Knowledge
    Brandon
    Deacon
    PCA
    Indian Land, SC

    This man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them.

  14. #14
    Rangerus's Avatar
    Rangerus is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
    I work with children; one of the kids came up to me and said do you have an Ipod? I said no, could not find a use for one. Do you listen to music? Yes, classic country, bluegrass, classical. (I only listen to that junk called modern country when my soon to be wife is in the car with me, and I grin trying not to throw the radio out of the car when she flips on POP music) The kid asks me, do you listen to so and so, pop music? I answered no. She walks away either sadden by the fact I don't listen or care for junk or the fact she understands I'm old.

    I have a old soul, and its Presbyterian. Enough said. I'm becoming more Presbyterian as I age, and even sports I'm loosing interest in, accept baseball. Baseball is classy, much like the Presbyterian faith. Hahaha....

    Pop music is awful, in fact radio is awful accept for a few artist but when I say few I mean few.

    If Jonathan Edwards were alive today, I wonder what he would say?
    “Lord, stamp eternity on my eyeballs.”
    ― Jonathan Edwards
    Rangerus
    Southern Baptist
    Falls City, TX
    1689 LBCF & BF&M 2000

  15. #15
    Bill The Baptist's Avatar
    Bill The Baptist is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,610
    I always joke that God didn't call me to be a youth pastor because I didn't even like teenagers when I was one
    Bill
    Pitching my tent and building my altar
    (SBC)

    "But His Word was in my heart like a burning fire, shut up in my bones, I was weary of holding it back, and I could not."-Jeremiah 20:9

    "Light yourself on fire and people will come to see you burn."-Charles Spurgeon
    3 member(s) found this post helpful.

  16. #16
    Herald's Avatar
    Herald is offline. Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    15,087
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenzedek View Post
    We live in a society that emphasizes and promotes youthfulness, and de-emphasizes age and stigmatizes all things "old". Its "cool" for an older person to behave youthfully. Modernity is seen as a youthful endeavor, and there is something wrong with those who are older and do not want to "change with the times". How is an elderly person supposed to learn to die gracefully in a culture such as ours? We epitomize the young. So, for those who want to be a "hip" teacher of God's word in some effort to be "up to date" and avoid jumping on the bandwagon, they have jumped on another that is aimed for the ditch.
    What's interesting is that birth rates are down in the United States. The nation is getting older, not younger.

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    Bill Brown
    Elder
    Grace Baptist Church
    Student at Midwest Center for Theological Studies


    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

  17. #17
    Unoriginalname's Avatar
    Unoriginalname is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,178
    I think Carl Trueman has the sharpest wit of any living person in Presbyterian and Reformed circles.
    Eric

    Member of Northeast Community Church (PCA)
    Attending Covenant Reformed Church (URCNA)
    Scranton, PA

    17 Beware lest you say in your heart, ‘My power and the might of my hand have gotten me this wealth.’ 18You shall remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you power to get wealth, that he may confirm his covenant that he swore to your fathers, as it is this day. Deuteronomy 8
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

  18. #18
    Backwoods Presbyterian's Avatar
    Backwoods Presbyterian is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    17,093
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill The Baptist View Post
    I always joke that God didn't call me to be a youth pastor because I didn't even like teenagers when I was one
    Rev. Benjamin P. Glaser, M. Div, ARP
    Pastor, Ellisville Presbyterian Church, ARP
    Ellisville, Mississippi

    ‎‎"Ministers of the Gospel, when dispensing the truths of God, must preach home to their own souls, as well as unto others. Sir's, we do not deliver truths or doctrines to you, wherein we ourselves have no manner of concern. No, our own souls are at the stake, and shall either perish or be saved eternally, as we receive or reject these precious truths which we deliver unto you. And truly, it can never be expected that we will apply the truths of God with any warmth or liveliness unto others, unless we first make a warm application thereof to our own souls. And if we do not feed upon these doctrines, and practise these duties, which we deliver to and inculcate upon you, though we preach unto others, we ourselves are but castaways." -- Ebenezer Erskine, "The Assurance of Faith", pg. 8

    Deo Vindice

  19. #19
    Peairtach's Avatar
    Peairtach is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Backwoods Presbyterian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill The Baptist View Post
    I always joke that God didn't call me to be a youth pastor because I didn't even like teenagers when I was one
    I always had some sense that there was something wrong with the "teenage" attitude and perspective, and that I wanted to rebel against it.
    Richard Tallach
    communicant member,
    Knox Free Church,
    Perth, Scotland GB

    His Name forever shall endure;
    last like the sun it shall:
    Men shall be blessed in Him,
    and blessed all nations shall Him call (Ps. 72:17)
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

  20. #20
    DMcFadden's Avatar
    DMcFadden is offline. Meum cerebrum nocet
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    9,935
    Quote Originally Posted by VictorBravo View Post
    That is classic.

    --of course, I couldn't comment until I completed my Google search on those two names. I had a vague idea they were singers, but I wasn't sure. . . .

    They might be rich, but their fame has trouble penetrating my consciousness.
    Justin Bieber is the 19 year old pop singer who recently visited the Ann Frank museum. Employing the term for his fans, "believers," he scrawled in the guest book: “Anne was a great girl. *Hopefully she would have been a belieber.”

    That is part of what makes Carl's comment so stinging. Would you really want someone who thought Justin Bieber was wonderful judging your preaching?
    Dennis E. McFadden, Ex Mainline Baptist (in Remission)
    Atherton Baptist Homes, Alhambra, CA, President/CEO, Retired
    Emmanuel Lutheran Church, LCMS

    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72