See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Quotes Forum discuss This Explains an Awful Lot of Stuff in the The Literary Forum forums; This from the evening's reading in Sibbes, from his sermon, "The Saint's Safety in Evil Times" [Works, i.322]: "...Partial obedience is indeed no obedience at ...

Wayne is offline. Tempus faciendi, Domine.

This Explains an Awful Lot of Stuff

This from the evening's reading in Sibbes, from his sermon, "The Saint's Safety in Evil Times" [Works, i.322]:

"...Partial obedience is indeed no obedience at all ; for he that obeys one, and not another, obeys not simply because of the commander, to yield obedience unto him ; but only to satisfy his own corrupt nature, picking and choosing what pleases himself, which belongs not to an inferior, but to a superior to do. And therefore, such make themselves gods, in that they single out easy things that do not oppose their lusts, which are not against their reputation, &c., and therein perhaps they will supererogate, and do more than they need, only because they will have a compensation from God, that he should quit with them for other things. 'I have done that, and therefore he must bear with me in this.' Oh! but there is no compensation here...."
    Liberalism is a pick and choose religion. Modernists make themselves gods, picking and choosing what they will believe out of God's Word, as if they were superior to the LORD Himself. They single out easy things that do not oppose their lusts, and especially those things which promote their reputation. They will even do these things to excess, for theirs is a religion of works.
    Wayne Sparkman, Th.M., C.A.
    Director, PCA Historical Center, St. Louis, MO
    Blogs: The Continuing Story and This Day in Presbyterian History
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

"Remember, it is not hasty reading, but serious meditating upon holy and heavenly truths, that make them prove sweet and profitable to the soul...It is not he that reads most , but he that meditates most, that will prove the choicest, sweetest, wisest and strongest Christian." - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680) [HT: Hamalas]
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

Skyler is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    Conservatives are not excluded from the phenomenon.
    Jonathan
    Reformed Baptist
    Ohio

My blog: Middle of the Narrow Way

Wayne is offline. Tempus faciendi, Domine.
    No, and in fact I started to add, "Lord, deliver me from this same spirit and practice, from this same temptation."
    Wayne Sparkman, Th.M., C.A.
    Director, PCA Historical Center, St. Louis, MO
    Blogs: The Continuing Story and This Day in Presbyterian History
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

"Remember, it is not hasty reading, but serious meditating upon holy and heavenly truths, that make them prove sweet and profitable to the soul...It is not he that reads most , but he that meditates most, that will prove the choicest, sweetest, wisest and strongest Christian." - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680) [HT: Hamalas]