See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Cults & World Religions discuss Peter's denial and rooster crowing. a zoroasterian link? in the Apologetics Forum forums; ...

rmwilliamsjr is offline. Puritanboard Freshman

Peter's denial and rooster crowing. a zoroasterian link?

could Peter's denial be referring to this?

quote:
    The lusty rooster (a.k.a. ****) was a universal signifier of virility—but also, in the ancient Persian faith of Zoroastrianism, a benign spirit that crowed at dawn to herald a turning point in the cosmic struggle between darkness and light.

Read more: How the Chicken Conquered the World | History & Archaeology | Smithsonian Magazine

i've never heard of this link between zoroastrian myths and the rooster. i came up empty handed looking for more via google.
    how would someone proceed to show that there is or isn't such a link?
    the 3 magi are zoroasterian, are there any other potential things in the NT directed at this religion?

tia.
    motto:God does not subtract from man's allotted time on earth, the hours spent reading.

Originally Posted by paul manata| Anyway, since you think I'm usually about 6 months behind you, why waste the time typing back and forth when you can just wait 6 months and I'll agree with you?
    richard williams|member Rincon Mountain PCA|Tucson Arizona|http://rinconpres.org/

Dearly Bought is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by rmwilliamsjr View Post
    could Peter's denial be referring to this?

quote:
    The lusty rooster (a.k.a. ****) was a universal signifier of virility—but also, in the ancient Persian faith of Zoroastrianism, a benign spirit that crowed at dawn to herald a turning point in the cosmic struggle between darkness and light.

Read more: How the Chicken Conquered the World | History & Archaeology | Smithsonian Magazine

i've never heard of this link between zoroastrian myths and the rooster. i came up empty handed looking for more via google.
    how would someone proceed to show that there is or isn't such a link?
    the 3 magi are zoroasterian, are there any other potential things in the NT directed at this religion?

tia.
    It does not appear that even this article in Smithsonian Magazine is suggesting a link between the two, at least from my reading. I see no reason to make such a connection.
    Bryan Peters
    Trinity Presbyterian Reformed Church
    Student of Theology Under Care of the Presbyterian Reformed Church
    Johnston, Iowa

The true visible church, where God's ordinances are set up as he hath appointed,
    where his word is purely preached, is the most beautiful thing under heaven,
    and there is God's glory set forth and manifested more clearly than in all the Lord's handiwork beside in heaven or earth.
    ~David Dickson~
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

Jack K is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    It seems to me that the most plain reading of the Bible texts is that Jesus is simply saying the denials will happen "before morning." Peter's bravado had gotten the better of him, and Jesus is warning him how utterly he will fail—it's going to happen very soon. Then when the rooster actually crowed, it reminded Peter of what Jesus had said.

The Zoroastrian themes are interesting, I guess. But I don't see anything in the biblical texts that support that reading. And there are many good applications about Peter's failure and being constantly on guard against sin that might be missed if we were to get off track.
    Jack K.
    PCA, worshiping with some fine Baptists in Colorado
    Gospel Teacher website
    Show Them Jesus: Teaching the Gospel to Kids
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.