See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Cults & World Religions discuss God made the universe for our pleasure? in the Apologetics Forum forums; Stephen Hawkings has a new book out, "The Grand Design." In an interview here , Reuters reports that Hawkings writes, "the single Sun, the lucky ...

puritan628 is offline. Puritanboard Freshman

Wink God made the universe for our pleasure?

Stephen Hawkings has a new book out, "The Grand Design." In an interview here, Reuters reports that Hawkings writes, "the single Sun, the lucky combination of Earth-Sun distance and solar mass, far less remarkable, and far less compelling evidence that the Earth was carefully designed just to please us human beings." [emphasis mine]

I am SOOOO very thankful that the Lord has revealed truth to me through the WCF! It is awesome, wonderful, liberating to NOT be the "center of the universe."
    Laura Nunn
    Member of Church of the King
    McAllen, Texas

"There is no object that we see, no action that we do, no good that we enjoy, no evil that we feel, or fear, but we may make some spiritual advantage of all and he that makes such improvement is wise as well as pious." -- Anne Bradstreet (1612-1672)
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

goodnews is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by puritan628 View Post
    Stephen Hawkings has a new book out, "The Grand Design." In an interview here, Reuters reports that Hawkings writes, "the single Sun, the lucky combination of Earth-Sun distance and solar mass, far less remarkable, and far less compelling evidence that the Earth was carefully designed just to please us human beings." [emphasis mine]

I am SOOOO very thankful that the Lord has revealed truth to me through the WCF! It is awesome, wonderful, liberating to NOT be the "center of the universe."
    He actually contradicted himself in that statement, IMHO. How does such a smart guy come to such an illogical conclusion. Paul was right when he said that the mind of man is at enmity against God. I'm going to drop Romans 1, Psalm 8, Psalm 14, Psalm 19, and Isaiah 40 on the discussion.
    Jeff Jacobs
    Pastor, Covenant ARP Church, Statesville, NC
    Hubby of Madeline the Teacher
    Father of Grace and Sarah (both of whom have daddy wrapped around their finger)
    Longsuffering Gamecock fan

"If you abide in my Word, you are truly my disciples; and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free" -John 8:31,32

JBaldwin is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Psalm 53
    1 The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”
    They are corrupt, doing abominable iniquity;
    there is none who does good.

2 God looks down from heaven
    on the children of man
    to see if there are any who understand, [2]
    who seek after God.

3 They have all fallen away;
    together they have become corrupt;
    there is none who does good,
    not even one.

4 Have those who work evil no knowledge,
    who eat up my people as they eat bread,
    and do not call upon God?

5 There they are, in great terror,
    where there is no terror!
    For God scatters the bones of him who encamps against you;
    you put them to shame, for God has rejected them.

6 Oh, that salvation for Israel would come out of Zion!
    When God restores the fortunes of his people,
    let Jacob rejoice, let Israel be glad.
    J Baldwin
    Keowee Presbyterian Church, PCA
    Pickens, SC
    “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” Luke 10:27

Check Out My Blog: http://reflectjoy.blogspot.com/
    2 member(s) found this post helpful.

Theogenes is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Revelation 4:11 (King James Version)

11Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.
    Jim
    An Elder, Harvest Reformed Church (RCUS),Minot, ND
    http://www.harvestreformedchurch.org/
    http://tbftgoggi.wordpress.com/
    http://www.sermonaudio.com/source_de...urceid=hrcrcus
    Upon a life I did not live; upon a death I did not die, Another's death, Another's life, I'd rest my soul eternally
    Omnia dicta fortiora,si dicta Latina
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

N. Eshelman is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Now is he that new missionary TE in the New York Metro Presbytery? Does he teach Sunday School there?

Grillsy is offline. Puritanboard Junior

Hawking changes his views on God (god?)

God did not create the universe, says Hawking - Yahoo! News

This is an interesting article. Would anyone care to take a stab at his theory that the creation of the universe was simply the natural consequence of the laws of physics?
    Willie Grills
    Saint Paul's Lutheran Church
    Lutheran Church Missouri Synod
    Ashland, KY

fredtgreco is offline. Vanilla Westminsterian
    How does gravity create something from nothing? How does gravity come from nothing? What a fool.
    Fred Greco
    Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA (Katy, TX)
    Christ Church Blog

"The heart is the main thing in true religion...It is the hinge and turning-point in the condition of man's soul. If the heart is alive to God and quickened by the Spirit, the man is a living Christian. If the heart is dead and has not the Spirit, the man is dead before God." (J.C. Ryle)
    4 member(s) found this post helpful.

puritan628 is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    I probably didn't use the appropriate thread when I started this post here.
    Laura Nunn
    Member of Church of the King
    McAllen, Texas

"There is no object that we see, no action that we do, no good that we enjoy, no evil that we feel, or fear, but we may make some spiritual advantage of all and he that makes such improvement is wise as well as pious." -- Anne Bradstreet (1612-1672)

Backwoods Presbyterian is offline now. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries
    That makes no sense Dr. Hawking.
    Rev. Benjamin P. Glaser, M. Div, ARP
    Pastor, Ellisville Presbyterian Church, ARP
    Ellisville, Mississippi

‎‎"Ministers of the Gospel, when dispensing the truths of God, must preach home to their own souls, as well as unto others. Sir's, we do not deliver truths or doctrines to you, wherein we ourselves have no manner of concern. No, our own souls are at the stake, and shall either perish or be saved eternally, as we receive or reject these precious truths which we deliver unto you. And truly, it can never be expected that we will apply the truths of God with any warmth or liveliness unto others, unless we first make a warm application thereof to our own souls. And if we do not feed upon these doctrines, and practise these duties, which we deliver to and inculcate upon you, though we preach unto others, we ourselves are but castaways." -- Ebenezer Erskine, "The Assurance of Faith", pg. 8

Deo Vindice

Afterthought is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    I thought he was referring to the big bounce theory of loop quantum cosmology, but it doesn't appear so. Not to mention that I thought he was a holography or brane person? Or maybe not since he described himself as a positivist.

At any rate, before even attempting to take a stab his theory I think I'll wait to hear him explain what he's talking about more thoroughly since I know science often gets garbled in the media during the quest for an exciting story.
    Raymond
    OPC
    Florida

py3ak is offline. They're stalling and plotting against me
    Quote Originally Posted by puritan628 View Post
    I probably didn't use the appropriate thread when I started this post here.
    Problem solved!
    Ruben: Administrator
    F.P.C.Indianapolis

...analogy does not mean identity. When we make a comparison we do not make an equation. -John Murray

Board Rules - Signature Requirements - Suggestions?

Teología en Mexico
    The Howling Wilderness

Reformed Baptist is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Is "the big bounce theory of loop quantum cosmology" something ladies are doing to make themselves prettier?
    Geoff/Reformed Baptist
    Acworth, GA
    John 6:37
    All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

Afterthought is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Reformed Baptist
    Is "the big bounce theory of loop quantum cosmology" something ladies are doing to make themselves prettier?
    I certainly hope not, though there may be rumors to the contrary!
    Raymond
    OPC
    Florida

Peairtach is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Quote from Grillsy
    Would anyone care to take a stab at his theory that the creation of the universe was simply the natural consequence of the laws of physics?
    Who created - or started using - the laws of physics and Who keeps them going?

He's just trying to get some publicity for his book and is also disappointed that he hasn't yet worked out a way in which the fundamental laws - or forces rather - of physics are interlinked - a so-called Theory of Everything. Some atheists believe/hope that it will exclude the "need" for God.

If they did/do find such a theory it would just be a further testimony to the simplicity and beauty of the way God governs nature/everything material, through His Word and by His Spirit.
    Last edited by Peairtach; 09-03-2010 at 05:57 PM.
    Richard Tallach
    communicant member,
    Knox Free Church,
    Perth, Scotland GB

His Name forever shall endure;
    last like the sun it shall:
    Men shall be blessed in Him,
    and blessed all nations shall Him call (Ps. 72:17)

armourbearer is offline. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Grillsy View Post
    Would anyone care to take a stab at his theory that the creation of the universe was simply the natural consequence of the laws of physics?
    A little while ago I visited a friend at the beach. He didn't see my car because I travelled with another. He asked me how I arrived. I answered, By car. Where is the car? he asked. I replied that it was down the street. How did it get there? he queried. He instinctively understood that a mechanism requires a driver.
    Yours sincerely,
    Rev. Matthew Winzer
    Australian Free Church,
    Victoria, Australia

"Illum oportet crescere me autem minui."
    3 member(s) found this post helpful.

Semper Fidelis is offline. 2 Timothy 2:24-25
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by armourbearer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grillsy View Post
    A little while ago I visited a friend at the beach. He didn't see my car because I travelled with another. He asked me how I arrived. I answered, By car. Where is the car? he asked. I replied that it was down the street. How did it get there? he queried. He instinctively understood that a mechanism requires a driver.
    Which only adds to the judgement of those that create clever academic narratives to suppress what they know is manifest.
    Rich
    Ruling Elder, Licentiate, Under Care, Hope of Christ Church (PCA), Northern VA
    Student, New Geneva Theological Seminary

WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to build and promote your web site.
    SoliDeoGloria.com - A Community for Reformed Thought and Discussion

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

jpfrench81 is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore

The World Created Itself

So says Stephen Hawking in his new book. "The universe can and will create itself from nothing," he writes. It's sad that such incredibly brilliant people are so foolish; but it's not an intelligence thing--it's a spiritual thing.

Stephen Hawking: God didn't create universe - CNN.com
    Joshua F
    Mountain View Community Church
    Fort Collins, CO

Philip is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    It also raises huge questions on the nature of time. We know that time is quantifiable and measurable, so by that token it cannot be infinite.

It's Hilbert's infinite hotel: if you tore down half of the rooms, you would still be left with as many as you started with. Saying that time is infinite and that the universe created itself raises too many problems, so according to Occam's razor, since divine causality is simpler and does not create such issues, it is a better theory.
    Philip
    Student at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    Attending Christ the Redeemer Church (Anglican)
    Member at Potomac Hills Presbyterian Church (PCA) Leesburg, VA

BlackCalvinist is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Psalm 14:1
    KG
    Theologically Correct dot Com
    http://www.theologicallycorrect.com
    Wallace PCA in College Park, MD
    The Blog: THINK! - Wrestlin' With Wordz -N- Ideaz
    Join * Contribute * Discuss: Life | Doctrine | Music
    streaming music • blog • message board • christian music hub

jwright82 is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    His, and anyone else who argues for this, argument is circuler in nature it seems to me. The laws of physics had to exist before they existed to have any affect at all. But I have not read the book so I don't want to make any solid arguments before I have read his more detailed analysis and argument. This whole point of view though seems from a Dooyeweerdian perspective to be idolatry on two fronts.

It makes physics the ultimate reference point for judging all other theoretical disciplines, here it is religion. What can physics actually tell us about religion? Nothing, it can tell us about physics and that is it. Every sphere of experience is no more ultimate than anyother and none can be given a transcendent place above all creation (only God is transcendnet in His viewpoint not finite human understanding), which is exactly what Hawkings and Dawkins are trying to do with science in general. It also is what Dooyeweerd would call an immanetistic philosophy because it ascribes attributes of God to creation and science. Most notably is aseity. God needs nothing outside His own being for His existance but here we are being told that the universe now needs nothing outside itself to exist, this is making the attributes of God to belong to something other than God, which is idolatry. I like to keep these analysis of general worldviews in mind, here it is a materialism, when criticizing them because it puts it all into focus (you can see the big picture).
    James
    Pinewood Presbyterian church (PCA)
    Jacksonville, FL
    My blog: http://thereformedcafe.wordpress.com/.

jayce475 is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    God didn't create the universe: Hawking - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

The ABC version mentions "He also warned in a recent television series that mankind should avoid contact with aliens at all costs, as the consequences could be devastating." Oh my, that tickles me so so much.
    Jason Lim
    Singapore
    Bible-Presbyterian(BP)

3John2 is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by fredtgreco View Post
    How does gravity create something from nothing? How does gravity come from nothing? What a fool.
    Perhaps I'm out of my league here but doesn't gravity REQUIRE mass? If so where did the mass originate from in the first place?
    Frank O Fuentes
    Church of THE King
    McAllen, Texas
    Bachelor of Divinity
    Working towards my MDiv at Edinburg Theological Seminary
    Currently attending South Texas College as a History major

Zenas is offline. Snow Miser
    Quote Originally Posted by jayce475 View Post
    God didn't create the universe: Hawking - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

The ABC version mentions "He also warned in a recent television series that mankind should avoid contact with aliens at all costs, as the consequences could be devastating." Oh my, that tickles me so so much.
    Honestly though, presuming the existence of an alien race with technology sufficient to reach or communicate with us; it's a pretty big leap of faith to presuppose that they are benevolent. I mean, America is supposedly "benevolent" and we invade smaller, weaker entities regularly.
    The following users found this post helpful:

Andrew
    Member, Independent Presbyterian Church (PCA)

Peairtach is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Dr Hawking takes a hissy fit and likes to throw his rattle out of his pram at God, when God doesn't reveal to him the secrets of the Universe, like the Q of how the electromagnetic force, gravity and the strong and weak nuclear forces are related.

No doubt if he came up with the correct theory on this, which would result in a very important book or two, Dr Hawking would start saying nice things about God again.

It's all very childish. He's worried that he's going to die before he comes up with the so-called "Theory of Everything", he's fed up with God for not letting him in on the secrets, so he's taking it out on God by saying that He doesn't exist, while at the same time drawing attention to the much less important book he's written, which tells physicists nothing new.

"He also warned in a recent television series that mankind should avoid contact with aliens at all costs, as the consequences could be devastating."
    Is that the consequences for the aliens; we would teach them our evil ways.
    Richard Tallach
    communicant member,
    Knox Free Church,
    Perth, Scotland GB

His Name forever shall endure;
    last like the sun it shall:
    Men shall be blessed in Him,
    and blessed all nations shall Him call (Ps. 72:17)