See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Family Forum discuss Codes kids use when texting in the The Christian Walk forums; Parents, do you know what these texts mean? - CNN.com I must admit, having a 13yr old girl this made me laugh because she definitely ...

Michael is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Blog Entries

Codes kids use when texting

Parents, do you know what these texts mean? - CNN.com

I must admit, having a 13yr old girl this made me laugh because she definitely seems innately aware of this gobbledygook type of texting. Fortunately for us we've had no troubles with anything related to drugs. It's an enlightening read nonetheless.

Zenas is offline. Snow Miser
    I could translate the entire sample paragraph they gave. That one was easy if you played an MMO in the past 10 years. What's more difficult is the rapidly evolving world of acronyms. I had not seen some of the ones that they gave, but then, I was never really into the chatroom scene, more of the gaming scene which is dominated by 1337 5p33k (leet speak).

roflcoptors pwnt.
    The following users found this post helpful:

Andrew
    Member, Independent Presbyterian Church (PCA)

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I thought the paragraph was pretty transparent myself. Good point about acryonyms [and slang too].

LawrenceU is offline. Puritanboard Doctor

Unhappy

This stuff is degrading our English language very quickly. I know professors who have had students argue that they should not be marked down on papers for using 'text speak' in their work. This is in college, folks.

Personally, I have forbidden my daughter to use the stuff. She has no desire to do so anyway. She says that it makes people look dumb.

That paragraph must have come from Mobile. Bojangles is a well known club here.
    'There's nae jouking in the cause of Christ' - James Guthrie

We shall not adjust our Bible to the age; but before we have done with it, by God's grace, we shall adjust the age to the Bible. - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    Pastor - Providence Family Fellowship / Mobile, Alabama
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice

If for any reason I'm in a position where I grade papers, I will fail any child that uses acronyms for the purpose of shorthand like "txt sp33k". I don't care if they just wrote a thesis on quantum mechanics and dark matter.

Andrew

Scottish Lass is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceU View Post

It's a fast-food restaurant, too.
    Anna
    Wife of Tim/Marrow Man
    Mother of Grace Cameron
    Louisville, KY
    Member of Midlane Park Presbyterian (Associate Reformed Presbyterian)

He who does not hate the false does not love the true ~ Spurgeon

Updates on Gracie: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/gracephillips2010

Backwoods Presbyterian is offline now. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries
    I love Bojangles.
    Rev. Benjamin P. Glaser, M. Div, ARP
    Pastor, Ellisville Presbyterian Church, ARP
    Ellisville, Mississippi

‎‎"Ministers of the Gospel, when dispensing the truths of God, must preach home to their own souls, as well as unto others. Sir's, we do not deliver truths or doctrines to you, wherein we ourselves have no manner of concern. No, our own souls are at the stake, and shall either perish or be saved eternally, as we receive or reject these precious truths which we deliver unto you. And truly, it can never be expected that we will apply the truths of God with any warmth or liveliness unto others, unless we first make a warm application thereof to our own souls. And if we do not feed upon these doctrines, and practise these duties, which we deliver to and inculcate upon you, though we preach unto others, we ourselves are but castaways." -- Ebenezer Erskine, "The Assurance of Faith", pg. 8

Deo Vindice

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Lass View Post

It's a fast-food restaurant, too.
    I didn't know that. Is it any good? What part of the world are they in?

We shall not adjust our Bible to the age; but before we have done with it, by God's grace, we shall adjust the age to the Bible. - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice

Backwoods Presbyterian is offline now. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries
    Chicken mostly. It is awesome. I bought like 4 meals worth to take back to PA with me. Their biscuits are great as well. So is their tea. Mostly in Carolinas and Tennessee is where I have seen them.
    Rev. Benjamin P. Glaser, M. Div, ARP
    Pastor, Ellisville Presbyterian Church, ARP
    Ellisville, Mississippi

‎‎"Ministers of the Gospel, when dispensing the truths of God, must preach home to their own souls, as well as unto others. Sir's, we do not deliver truths or doctrines to you, wherein we ourselves have no manner of concern. No, our own souls are at the stake, and shall either perish or be saved eternally, as we receive or reject these precious truths which we deliver unto you. And truly, it can never be expected that we will apply the truths of God with any warmth or liveliness unto others, unless we first make a warm application thereof to our own souls. And if we do not feed upon these doctrines, and practise these duties, which we deliver to and inculcate upon you, though we preach unto others, we ourselves are but castaways." -- Ebenezer Erskine, "The Assurance of Faith", pg. 8

Deo Vindice

I looked them up online. They look like a they are a dedicated Yankee chain. They don't have anything south of Montgomery, AL

They looked alright. Sort of like a knock off of Popeyes.

BTW, have you ever make Popeyes biscuits? Not a drop of milk, buttermilk, or shortening in them. Flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, sour cream, and 7Up.

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice

Jack K is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    Oh, Bojangles is way better than Popeye's. Yummy, spicy fried chicken. And the best greasy, spicy fries on the planet. They were everywhere when I lived in North Caroina. I so miss them, but I'm healthier here.

Well, we're way off topic. But it's for a good cause. Food!
    Jack K.
    PCA, worshiping with some fine Baptists in Colorado
    Gospel Teacher website
    Show Them Jesus: Teaching the Gospel to Kids

Blog Entries
    Never been there but we have Bojangles in Metro Atlanta.

AThornquist is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Bojangles? Who would ever name anything of value Bojangles? Maybe it's just because I'm from California, but that sounds like it would be crude slang.

Blog Entries
    For those of yall lurking or new to the Puritanboard, "Bojangles" [pronounced beaux-hayn-glees] is Reformed message board code for contemporary worship music.
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

AThornquist is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Turner View Post
    For those of yall lurking or new to the Puritanboard, "Bojangles" [pronounced beaux-hayn-glees] is Reformed message board code for contemporary worship music.
    That is hilarious.

NE b0dy \/\/4n7 70 h4\/3 Bojangles 0n 5und4y?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack K View Post
    Oh, Bojangles is way better than Popeye's. Yummy, spicy fried chicken. And the best greasy, spicy fries on the planet. They were everywhere when I lived in North Caroina. I so miss them, but I'm healthier here.

Well, we're way off topic. But it's for a good cause. Food!

Now that is saying something; especially since Popeye's is based in Louisiana, is the original spicy 'cajun/creole' chicken place, and occasionally even has crawfish on the menu. I find it hard to believe that they are better than Popeye's. I will just have to keep my eyes out for one and do a taste test. The things we do for science.

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice

jwithnell is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    I just used an "R U" in a text to my husband Some of it is a shortcut way to write fast and use fewer characters that can be picked up at a glance. Some of it I'm sure is to appear "in the know." The drug stuff, well that's going to be communicated some way or another. I went to a college where I didn't know anyone, long before cell phones and texting, and knew about three keg parties in the first two days of school.
    JWithnell
    Member Bethel OPC
    Virginia
    http://learningyesican.blogspot.com/
    http://bethelpres.com/

JBaldwin is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    This stuff is degrading our English language very quickly. I know professors who have had students argue that they should not be marked down on papers for using 'text speak' in their work. This is in college, folks.

Personally, I have forbidden my daughter to use the stuff. She has no desire to do so anyway. She says that it makes people look dumb.

I was surprised and delighted when my 15-year old announced to me that she can't stand acryonymns and short-cuts to English. She told me she always checkes the spelling. She said the same thing your daughter did. She doesn't want to look dumb.
    J Baldwin
    Keowee Presbyterian Church, PCA
    Pickens, SC
    “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” Luke 10:27

Check Out My Blog: http://reflectjoy.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jwithnell View Post
    I just used an "R U" in a text to my husband Some of it is a shortcut way to write fast and use fewer characters that can be picked up at a glance. Some of it I'm sure is to appear "in the know." The drug stuff, well that's going to be communicated some way or another. I went to a college where I didn't know anyone, long before cell phones and texting, and knew about three keg parties in the first two days of school.
    You told your husband to run upstairs? What for?

Quote Originally Posted by JBaldwin View Post

I was surprised and delighted when my 15-year old announced to me that she can't stand acryonymns and short-cuts to English. She told me she always checkes the spelling. She said the same thing your daughter did. She doesn't want to look dumb.

Y'all must be studying early 18th century orthography.

We should get our daughters together somehow. My Amy Jo will be 15 in a couple of weeks.

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice

Tripel is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Kids would probably have a hard time understanding my texts, what with all of the correct spelling, correct grammar, and double-spacing after a period.
    Daniel
    Madrid, Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Tripel View Post
    Kids would probably have a hard time understanding my texts, what with all of the correct spelling, correct grammar, and double-spacing after a period.
    Bully for you! Using proper spacing after terminal punctuation is a dying practice. Thank you for your efforts.

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice

Joshua is offline. _
    Blog Entries
    I haven't an ounce of grammar Nazi in me.
    Josh
    CCRPC, RPCGA
    The Lord doth build up Jerusalem: he gathereth together the outcasts of Israel. He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds. - Ps. 147

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    Quite true. You haven't an ounce; you have several pounds.

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice

Blog Entries
    Civil War find, Texting, etc.

No matter what topic I start it always ends up on Nazis! What am I doing wrong here guys?

Joshua is offline. _
    Blog Entries
    Yes, but technically, Lawrence, "several pounds" would consist of at least an "ounce." Ergo, due to its grammatical structure, my statement still stands. Now, if I'd typed "I haven't merely an ounce," then your retort would ring true.
    Josh
    CCRPC, RPCGA
    The Lord doth build up Jerusalem: he gathereth together the outcasts of Israel. He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds. - Ps. 147

Yes, but technically, Lawrence, "several pounds" would consist of at least an "ounce." Ergo, due to its grammatical structure, my statement still stands. Now, if I'd typed "I haven't merely an ounce," then your retort would ring true.
    That is true when discussing the denotative constructions of the English sentence. This raises a very interesting point, to wit: What is the influence of connotative understanding and the subsequent orthographic adjustments in the structure of written English? How much of an influence can be expressed and it remain grammatically correct. Or, better put: can grammar and rhetoric be separated and each still be true? In the aforementioned exchange the nuance of the intent of my statement is clearly understood, grammatically correct, yet it is rhetorically fallacious. Still, it communicated exactly what I intended.

Michael, we are going for the ultimate derail!

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice

Joshua is offline. _
    Blog Entries
    Yo, LU, da's str8t up FUN-E!
    Josh
    CCRPC, RPCGA

Joshua is offline. _
    Blog Entries
    Oops! I used commas and capitalization. Sorry!
    Josh
    CCRPC, RPCGA

Blog Entries
    At this point I'm not sure if it's the parents or the kids that should be worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Turner View Post
    At this point I'm not sure if it's the parents or the kids that should be worried.

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice

Quote Originally Posted by Tripel View Post
    Bully for you! Using proper spacing after terminal punctuation is a dying practice. Thank you for your efforts.

It's partly a dying practice because the shift from typewriter to word processor affects the visual space since fonts rarely have letters use the same space anymore. My MLA handbook doesn't require it, for example.
    Anna
    Wife of Tim/Marrow Man
    Mother of Grace Cameron
    Louisville, KY

Semper Fidelis is offline. 2 Timothy 2:24-25
    Blog Entries

Bravo Zulu!
    Rich
    Ruling Elder, Licentiate, Under Care, Hope of Christ Church (PCA), Northern VA
    Student, New Geneva Theological Seminary

WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to build and promote your web site.
    SoliDeoGloria.com - A Community for Reformed Thought and Discussion

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis View Post

Bravo Zulu!

Tango Uniform, QRI 1

Yeah, I know, I just 'mixed jargons'.

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice

Bolded a seemingly errant comma.

Andrew

BJClark is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    LawrenceU;

I looked them up online. They look like a they are a dedicated Yankee chain. They don't have anything south of Montgomery, AL

We have both here in our area about 1 or 2 miles from each other...
    Bobbi Clark
    Covenant Member
    Pinewood Pres. (PCA) Middleburg

When I kept Silent, My bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. Psalm 32:3

Quote Originally Posted by BJClark View Post
    LawrenceU;

We have both here in our area about 1 or 2 miles from each other...
    Their presence in Florida further shores up my contention that they are a Yankee chain.

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice

Austin is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Blog Entries
    Popeye's was started by the Copelands, a major New Orleans eatery.

As for the kids stuff, wow, do I feel old. Even '80s music is now 'oldies.' Can you imagine GnR or Metallica being 'oldies'? What's the world coming to?

Seriously, this stuff is scary. And while I may be old for saying stuff like "these kids these days," the youth culture of today is so incredibly disgusting. The pornographic culture, fellatio as the new french kiss, drugs everywhere, tattoos and weird piercings... And what some of the piercings mean! Holy smokes. And those little rubber-band bracelets. I know so many 16-25 year olds who are in rehab, AA, NA, etc. Things have spun out of control. It almost makes one wistful for the old days of Woodstock. (At least the boomers knew that what they were doing was sinful.)
    Rev'd Austin Olive
    Chaplain, Arizona State Prison Complex (Tucson)
    Teaching Elder, EPC
    RTS (Jackson), 2001

Joshua is offline. _
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenas View Post
    Actually, it would be emboldened since "bolded" [sic] is not a word. As for the comma's perceived inappropriateness, I maintain it is not errant, although it could be superfluous or unnecessary. I'll permit Lawrence or ScottishLass to comment on that.
    Josh
    CCRPC, RPCGA

Quote Originally Posted by Zenas View Post
    Actually, it would be emboldened since "bolded" [sic] is not a word. As for the comma's perceived inappropriateness, I maintain it is not errant, although it could be superfluous or unnecessary. I'll permit Lawrence or ScottishLass to comment on that.
    Josh's comma is properly placed according to MLA rules (though APA, etc. may differ).
    Anna
    Wife of Tim/Marrow Man
    Mother of Grace Cameron
    Louisville, KY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast