See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Covenant Theology discuss Michael Horton - A Systematic Theology for Pilgrim's on the Way in the Theology forums; Just ordered it from Amazon 30 dollars free shipping and it's in stock-Hooray!...

Jesus is my friend is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Just ordered it from Amazon 30 dollars free shipping and it's in stock-Hooray!
    Brian
    Reformed Baptist
    Massachusetts

bookslover is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Horton's new ST gets a plug at National Review's website. Loving the World - By Mike Potemra - The Corner - National Review Online
    Richard Zuelch
    Westminster Presbyterian Church (OPC), Westminster, CA
    www.reiterations.wordpress.com

I, I am He who blots out your transgressions for My own sake, and I will not remember your sins. (Isaiah 43.25)

irresistible_grace is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared Hanley View Post
    I'm looking forward to reading the sections on covenant theology because I haven't heard covenant theology taught very clearly.
    If you are looking for "clear" teaching on covenant theology (aka Covenant Theology 101) then you'll want to read GOD OF PROMISE: Introducing Covenant Theology, by Michael Horton. It's been mentioned a few times in this thread already! I've got it & love it.
    Jessica
    FCC - Free Church of Scotland (continuing)
    The gal from North Carolina
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

Pergamum is offline. Ordinary Guy (TM)
    Just ordered the book, can't wait.
    Pergamum

"If a commission by an earthly king is considered a honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?"
    -- David Livingstone

py3ak is offline. They're stalling and plotting against me
    I'm looking forward to reading the sections on covenant theology because I haven't heard covenant theology taught very clearly.
    John Brown is the answer to this problem. See pp.61ff for the covenant of works, and pp. 87ff for the covenant of grace.
    Ruben: Administrator
    NCCC-OP
    Steger, IL

...the very necessaries of life are mortal. -Seneca

Board Rules - Signature Requirements - Suggestions?

Teología en Mexico
    The Howling Wilderness
    2 member(s) found this post helpful.

mvdm is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by py3ak View Post
    John Brown is the answer to this problem. See pp.61ff for the covenant of works, and pp. 87ff for the covenant of grace.
    Interesting that in John Brown's description of the Covenant of Works, he sees God being gracious:

Q. What moved God to enter into this covenant ?—A. His own free favour and bounty, Job. vii. 17.

Q. How doth that appear 1—A. Because God as a Creator-might justly have exacted all the service man was capable of, without giving him any reward ; and, notwithstanding, punished him for disobedience, Luke xvii. 10.

Q. Was very much grace manifested in the covenant of works 1—A. Yes, very much free favour and bounty.

Q. How so 1—A. In God's not only promising to reward man's obedience ; but also in so framing this covenant, as to admit a covenant of grace, if it was broken.

Q. Why then is it not called a covenant of grace ?—A. Because there was far less grace manifested in it than is in the second covenant, Rom. v. 20, 21.
    Mark Van Der Molen
    Immanuel URC
    DeMotte, Indiana

Contra_Mundum is offline. Pilgrim, Alien, Stranger
    "Free favour" and "bounty" (above) are correlative to the term "condescension" (WCF).

God is "gracious," as part of his nature. But "undeserving" and "ill-deserving" are two different categories of "grace." "Grace" in its pure sense covers the latter in ways that make the former seem pale. We need precise language to differentiate between speeches concerning these two manners of receipt of God's kindness. They have different character.

Hence, we properly reserve "grace" to the conditions that obtain in post-lapsarian humanity, the "ill-desert" of our common lot. The previous covenant (of Works) has a different character.
    Rev. Bruce G. Buchanan
    ChainOLakes Presbyterian Church, CentralLake, MI

Made both Lord and Christ--Jesus, the Destroyer
    Acts 2:36 - 1 Cor. 10:9-10 & 15:22-26 - Hebrews 2:9-15 - 1 John 3:8 - James 4:12

When posting friends, kindly bear those words of earthly wisdom in mind:

Oh, that God the gift would give us
    To see ourselves as others see us.
    --Robert Burns, 1786 (modernized) ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions? -- Sermons
    2 member(s) found this post helpful.

Michael Doyle is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Mine came today in book form as I had a gift to use. I have already read half on my Kindle. Very excited! Is everyone's book in gray-scale like mine? A little...um...gray
    Michael P Doyle
    Waukesha WI
    Member of http://www.cornerstone-pca.com/
    Attending http://www.lampseminary.org/

Jared is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Here's one of my favorite quotes from the book so far:

God is love even when He judges; He is holy and righteous even in saving sinners; He is eternal even when He acts in time.
    - Michael Horton, "The Christian Faith: A Systematic Theology for Pilgrims on the Way"
    Jared
    Non-denominational

Unless the LORD builds the house,
    those who build it labor in vain.
    Psalm 127:1 ESV

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)