Covenant Theology discuss Blessings for the Reprobate in the Covenant? in the Theology forums; Could I ask for your comments upon this . Specifically what could be added by way of explanation....

AV1611 is offline. Puritanboard Senior

Blessings for the Reprobate in the Covenant?

Could I ask for your comments upon this. Specifically what could be added by way of explanation.
    Richard
    CofE
    UK

armourbearer is offline. Moderator
    Well written. It might be good to show exegetically that these are "blessings." I think this can be shown from Heb. 11:20, in consultation with the Genesis narrative. But at the same time it needs to be pointed out that these are blessings of a lower kind than those enjoyed by the elect. Thomas Manton's sermons in loc. make some important points in this regard. It might also be worth taking the time to show how these blessings can be cursed, Mal. 2:12, and hence no evidence of God's love that He bears to His own.
    Yours sincerely,
    Rev. Matthew Winzer
    Australian Free Church,
    Victoria, Australia

"Illum oportet crescere me autem minui."

Iconoclast is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by AV1611 View Post
    Could I ask for your comments upon this. Specifically what could be added by way of explanation.
    Although they had the privledge of all the advantages listed in the article, I am not so sure we could say they were blessings?
    If they were not received by faith would they not be a curse? as per

20For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.

21For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.

22But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

?

28He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:

29Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

30For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.

31It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
    I am not trying to split hairs, but the end of a reprobate is never good,and He who knew the master's will and turns away will be beaten with many stripes.
    If you mean under the OC. there was some temporary blessing for obedience that came to the person before death, I could see what you mean.[heb11;20]
    But I do not believe it is the same in the NC, as I do not hold to the external
    membership in the covenant.
    Anthony D'Arienzo
    Hope Reformed Baptist Church:
    Medford, N.Y.
    All that die have not the plague, and all that perish eternally are not guilty of the same profligate sins.The covetous are excluded from the kingdom of God no less severely than fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, and thieves, 1 Corinthians 6:9,10.

C. Matthew McMahon is offline. Owner and Administrator
    It depends, in general, whether one is categorizing these under the exegetical and theological heads of the compound sense or the divided sense. If you don't first make that distinction, it will greatly handicap your view of Theology Proper.
    C. Matthew McMahon, Ph.D., Th.D.
    John 5:39, "...search the Scriptures..."

A PURITAN'S MIND website is growing!
    www.apuritansmind.com
    Puritan and Reformed eBooks and digital downloads at the PURITAN SHOP www.puritanshop.com
    Minister - Christ Presbyterian Church
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?