The Literary Forum discuss How to take stickers off books safely in the Educational Forums forums; Does anyone have tricks for getting stickers off of book covers without leaving a bunch of glue and paper or ruining the cover itself?...

Davidius is offline. Inactive User

How to take stickers off books safely

Does anyone have tricks for getting stickers off of book covers without leaving a bunch of glue and paper or ruining the cover itself?
    Davidius
    Husband of Emily
    Member of All Saints Anglican Church - Chapel Hill (AMiA / Anglican Church of North America)
    Student: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, German and Classics

toddpedlar is offline. Iron Dramatist
    Ether works really well, but then I have access to that; you probably don't. There's a product called "Goo gone" that we've used to good effect - there may be some book covers that don't take "goo gone" well, but the ones we've done have come out just fine.
    Todd K. Pedlar
    member, First Congregational Church, (CCCC) Cresco, IA
    My Blog: In Principio Deus
    24/7 Reformed Internet Radio: Sola5 Radio

"As God did not at first choose you because you were high, He will not now forsake you because you are low."
    John Flavel in Keeping the Heart

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Joining PB's Politics & Government Forum

he beholds is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Try white vinegar. Put some on the sticker, let it sit for a few minutes, rub/scratch off the sticker.
    J.L.

Witsius is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    I'll second Todd's recommendation.
    I use water/vinegar in a spray bottle (or Windex if I cheat) for the easier stuff, and Goo-Gone for the nasty stuff (neutralizing and cleaning after with the water/vinegar solution).
    It's one of my pet peeves! when used bookstores, esp., use huge bonding price stickers that are a mess to get off.
    I would welcome any other suggestions too.
    Harry J. S. "Pete" Ludwig
    Member: Lacombe Free Reformed Church
    ˇAlarma! Standard

...the sacred chickens, they say, flew out of the coop... Augustine, City of God, III, 21.

JBaldwin is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    If you can't find anything that works, you might check with a library supply company. These types of places usually carry special sovlents that are designed to be used on books.
    J Baldwin
    Keowee Presbyterian Church, PCA
    Pickens, SC
    “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” Luke 10:27

Check Out My Blog: http://reflectjoy.blogspot.com/

Presbyterian Deacon is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by JBaldwin View Post
    If you can't find anything that works, you might check with a library supply company. These types of places usually carry special sovlents that are designed to be used on books.
    Brodart has an "Adhesive Pick Up" Eraser for $2.30 that is designed to remove rubber cement residue. Brodart Library Supplies and Furnishings

Brodart also carries "solvents" but usually a good Adhesive Pick-Up Eraser will do the trick!
    Sterling Harmon
    Presbyterian Church of Coventry (PCA)
    Coventry, CT
    Ruling Elder

"Whatever is laudable in our works proceeds from the grace of God."
    -- John Calvin, Institutes III:xv.3.

"Our Lord God must be a good man, to be fond of worthless fellows. I cannot like them, and yet I, myself, am one."
    -- Martin Luther, Table Talk

Interim Pulpit Supply of New England

My Facebook

Blog Entries
    I use a blow dryer to heat the stickers until they will peel easily off. Then take a piece of masking tape and turn it in on itself (end to end) with the sticky side out and after the book has cooled a bit press the masking tape over the sticky area repeatedly until all the sticky is gone. Works in about 99% of the cases I've tried.
    "Is this not a brand plucked from the fire?” - Zechariah 3:2

James Helbert, Wytheville, VA
    Providence Reformed Presbyterian Church, RPCUS

TheBibleAlone.com / The Edinburgh Inn

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Ivan is offline. Pastor
    When I worked at the public library we used Goo Gone. Worked great.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Ivan Schoen ~ [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]The Church in [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Poplar Grove, IL[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]=================================[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [LEFT][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]"As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives." ~ Henry David Thoreau[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][/LEFT]
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Casey is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Nail polish remover. It'll take off the sticky stuff. If used on a glossy cover, it'll take off ball-point pen marks, too. I work at a publisher that gets a lot of returns and sometimes have to take off price stickers. You can also use a razor-like blade to get under the sticker (be careful, of course, because this can damage the book); for my own books I just use my fingernails and get off as much as I can, then use the nail polish remover to take off the sticky remains.
    Last edited by Casey; 01-08-2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Casey, Chicagoland, OPC

Honor is offline. de-cool
    I was just about to say what Casey said.
    Doesn't ether make you go to sleep? so you could start to take off a sticker and wake up with newpaper print of your forehead... duuude.
    Jessica Auner
    Wife, Mother,
    Garden City, Ga
    Ephesus Church
    (a Reformed Baptist church)

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Thanks for the tips! Earlier I used a hair dryer and was able to get the sticker off pretty easily, then use nail polish remover to get the residue.
    Davidius
    Husband of Emily
    Member of All Saints Anglican Church - Chapel Hill (AMiA / Anglican Church of North America)

VictorBravo is offline. Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidius View Post
    Thanks for the tips! Earlier I used a hair dryer and was able to get the sticker off pretty easily, then use nail polish remover to get the residue.
    Hurray. I'm late, but I was going to say acetone, which is in nail polish remover.
    R. Victor Bottomly
    Port Cities Reformed Baptist Church, Lewiston ID

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- How to access Politics and Government forum

Rocketeer is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    I usually scratch the sticker off, then rub the residue off with my fingertips; the 'glue' breaks up into small balls if you rub it long enough; this does take some time, though.
    Co
    Netherlands Reformed Congegration of Kampen
    Kampen, The Netherlands

Let the righteous smite me, it shall be a kindness, and let him reprove me, it shall be an excellent oil, which shall not break my head: for yet my prayer also shall be in their calamities. Psalm 141:5

LawrenceU is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    I assume we are talking about paperbacks and hardbacks with a gloss finish. Some of of these techniques will destroy a cloth bound book.

Zippo lighter fluid works well, too. And, it works on many cloth bound books. Always test it on the inside back edge of a bit of the cover if you are trying it on a cloth bound. Learned this from a book collector.
    'There's nae jouking in the cause of Christ' - James Guthrie

We shall not adjust our Bible to the age; but before we have done with it, by God's grace, we shall adjust the age to the Bible. - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    Pastor - Providence Family Fellowship / Mobile, Alabama
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice

Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceU View Post
    I assume we are talking about paperbacks and hardbacks with a gloss finish. Some of of these techniques will destroy a cloth bound book.

Zippo lighter fluid works well, too. And, it works on many cloth bound books. Always test it on the inside back edge of a bit of the cover if you are trying it on a cloth bound. Learned this from a book collector.
    Would nail polish remover hurt cloth?

Also, I'm not sure I know how to tell the difference between hard back gloss and cloth.
    Davidius
    Husband of Emily

VictorBravo is offline. Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceU View Post

Would nail polish remover hurt cloth?

Also, I'm not sure I know how to tell the difference between hard back gloss and cloth.
    Lawrence is right about cloth. Cloth is often bound to a hard back (stiff cardboard) with a glue that could be dissolved by nail polish remover.

Also, acetone doesn't stain or damage most cloth, unless it is some kind of plastic. It's a good idea to test it in a little noticed spot if you don't know for sure what it is.
    R. Victor Bottomly
    Port Cities Reformed Baptist Church, Lewiston ID

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- How to access Politics and Government forum

Hamalas is offline. whippersnapper
    Blog Entries
    I worked in a bookstore for a year and half and the blow dryer tip is probably your best bet. (Although we did use the Goo Be Gone quite a bit too!)
    Ben Franks

I'm a member of Heartland Community Church (PCA) in Wichita, Kansas.
    I'm currently a student at Whitefield College majoring in Christian Classical Education.
    Starting in August of 2014 I'll be a student worker/pastoral intern for a year with Sheffield Presbyterian Church in England
    I'm hoping to attend PRTS in the fall of 2016 and then pursue the Gospel Ministry either in the US or the UK.

To follow my year in England click on the links below:
    http://spcinternship.wordpress.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Engla...22600707793421

"Remember, it is not hasty reading, but serious meditating upon holy and heavenly truths, that make them prove sweet and profitable to the soul...It is not he that reads most , but he that meditates most, that will prove the choicest, sweetest, wisest and strongest Christian." - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)

LawrenceU is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Acetone (real nail polish remover / there are non-acetone ones out their) can do a number on a cloth bound book. I know I mentioned that above, but don't make the mistake that I did one time. It can also degloss some hard covers.

Naptha (lighter fluid and Coleman white gas) works on most cloth bound books. Naptha is a pretty powerful cleaning agent. It is also good for cleaning felt hats and ties. It is a dry cleaning chemical and leaves no smell.
    'There's nae jouking in the cause of Christ' - James Guthrie

We shall not adjust our Bible to the age; but before we have done with it, by God's grace, we shall adjust the age to the Bible. - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    Pastor - Providence Family Fellowship / Mobile, Alabama
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice