The Literary Forum discuss Commentary/study guide for Pilgrim's Progress in the Educational Forums forums; Greetings, I'm wondering if any of you puritanheads can assist me. I'm looking for a commentary or study guide from a reformed or puritan persuasion ...

CanuckPuritan24 is offline. Puritanboard Freshman

Commentary/study guide for Pilgrim's Progress

Greetings,

I'm wondering if any of you puritanheads can assist me. I'm looking for a commentary or study guide from a reformed or puritan persuasion to walk through Pilgrim's Progress with. Is there such a thing available?

It is is for my mother's women's group... (most do not have high theological acumen... or ability to read difficult works) so simpler is better.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by CanuckPuritan24; 01-31-2009 at 09:34 AM.
    Presbyterian attending Calvary Baptist
    Ontario . (Canada)[/B]

"Three things there are which men never ought to trifle with: a little poison, a little false doctrine, and a little sin." J.C. Ryle

jbotkin is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Answers in Genesis has an "all-in-one family curriculum." They're museum bookstore stocks puritans works, along with Edwards and Lloyd-Jones. So if the curriculum is what you're looking for, I think the underlying theology would be good.

A good leader's guide (more advanced probably) is Barry Horner's commentary on Pilgrim's Progress.
    John
    Preaching Pastor, Crossway Christian Church
    Southern Baptist Convention
    Michigan
    Magnify Christ
    livethecross.org

Casey is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Amazon.com: The Devoted Life: An Invitation To The Puritan Classics: Kelly M. Kapic, Randall C. Gleason: Books
    has a chapter written by J.I. Packer devoted to Pilgrim's Progress, along with chapters on a bunch of other Puritan works. It's only about 10-20 pages per book, though. I only just got a copy of this book, so I can't actually comment on it (though the likes of Beeke, Horton, Ryken, et al., have written chapters on other books).

EDIT: Note, this isn't actually a commentary on any of these Puritan classics, but it does explain biographical info about the authors and then goes into the general thrust of the particular literature.
    Casey, Chicagoland, OPC

christiana is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Mount Zion Bible Institute

Mt Zion has great reformed resources and has a bible study on Pilgrim's Progress. Not sure if there is a prerequisite for this study. Do check it out; listed on the link page.
    Nancy L./ www.foundersbaptist.org
    Spring, TX

Your will, Lord Jesus Christ! Nothing more... nothing less... nothing else.

rescuedbyLove is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Amazon.com: The Pilgrim's Progress Devotional: A Daily Journey through the Christian Life: Cheryl Ford: Books

This is a daily devotional someone from church gave me last year. I haven't read it yet, but it has good reviews...
    Amber McLellan
    South Woods Baptist Church
    Memphis, TN

And they sang a new song, saying, "Worthy are You to take the book and to break its seals; for You were slain, and purchased for God with Your blood men from every tribe and tongue and people and nation."
    Revelation 5:9

jbotkin is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Almost forgot - Sir Derek Thomas over at FPC Jackson did an excellent sermon series based on Pilgrim's Progress. Audio and transcripts are available.
    John
    Preaching Pastor, Crossway Christian Church
    Southern Baptist Convention
    Michigan
    Magnify Christ
    livethecross.org

Stephen L Smith is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    As well as the above mentioned book, Barry Horner has a detailed commentary (that is a full and readable commentary) available at Commentary on Pilgrims Progress. As far as I know, Barry is a Calvinist and a progressive dispensationalist.
    Stephen Smith
    Reformed Baptist
    New Zealand

CanuckPuritan24 is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Thank you very much for the prompt and helpful responses so far
    Presbyterian attending Calvary Baptist
    Ontario . (Canada)[/B]

"Three things there are which men never ought to trifle with: a little poison, a little false doctrine, and a little sin." J.C. Ryle