The Literary Forum discuss Autographed Books in the Educational Forums forums; I know that some have mentioned in passing that they have books of interest in their libraries autographed by the author. For any who are ...

VirginiaHuguenot is offline. Puritanboard Librarian
    Blog Entries

Autographed Books

I know that some have mentioned in passing that they have books of interest in their libraries autographed by the author. For any who are interested in sharing, what are some of the autographed books that you own?

I have a general collection of autographs, including Dean Smith, Stephen Lang, and a few others.

Some of the autographed books in my library include:

Isaac Asimov Presents the Best Fantasy of the 19th Century signed by Isaac Asimov

Torchbearers of the Truth signed by Sinclair Horne, President of the Scottish Reformation Society

The History of the Presbyterian Church in America signed by Frank J. Smith

The Exile: A Tale of St. Augustine signed by Francis Fontaine, 1878, my ancestor

Twelve on the River St. Johns signed by Charles Bennett

Presbyterian Worship in America: Changing Patterns Since 1787 signed by Julius Melton

[Edited on 7-15-2006 by VirginiaHuguenot]
    Andrew

panicbird is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    This Is That signed by F. F. Bruce

I also have some books from the library of J. I. Packer, which have his name written on the inside cover.

Lon

NaphtaliPress is offline. Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Oooh.
    Chris Coldwell, Lakewood Presbyterian Church (PCA), Dallas, Texas.
    • Naphtali Press: Presbyterian & Reformed Books
    • Westminster Letter Press
    The Confessional Presbyterian Journal
    The Blue Banner Archive
    Calvin in the Hands of the Philistines: Did Calvin Bowl on the Sabbath?
    The Regulative Principle: The Scriptures are the “only infallible rule of faith and practice, no rite or ceremony ought to have a place in the public worship of God, which is not warranted in Scripture, either by direct precept or example, or by good and sufficient inference” (Samuel Miller).
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Joining PB's Politics & Government Forum

Blog Entries
    Years ago when I did most of my book buying, I probably had more money than sense; hopefully more sense if not more money now. I don't have many autographed books, as I haven´t really look for that. Those I have were unlooked for and in one case not noticed by the seller (so no premium added!). This was a memory lane trip looking at these two that I do have. I'll make another plug for BookCollector Pro software; found the below right away (though I could not find a sort for "signed"). I bought both of these from David C. Lachman.

1. Samuel Rutherford, The Divine Right of Church-Government and Excommunication (London: Printed by John Field for Christopher Meredith, 1646). No Rutherford signature. But the copy was owned by William M. Hetherington (author of the History of the Westminster Assembly that Puritan Pub is publishing) and has his signature in it.
    This work has the signature and inscription, "W. M Hetherington, Torphichen Manse, 1841," inside front cover, right endsheet. I did not find a previous note but David Lachman may have called me first about these as he knew I wanted to collected Rutherford at the time. David obtained multiple examples of many of Rutherford's books (3rds and 4ths from New College Edinburgh if I recall the story correctly). The note offered me the following choices:
    "11th March 1991
    Dear Chris,
    It was good to talk with you tonight; I´m pleased that you´ve called Richard Bacon. I trust that it will work out well for the church and for him and that the Lord will bless you all.
    A Peaceable and Temperate Plea ...for Pauls Presbyterie in Scotland, London: Iohn Bartlet, 1642. 4to, old calf, somewhat worn with hinges splitting; minor marginal worming at front, but text crisp & clean. (16) 326pp $340.
    __________ [another copy] original calf, newly rebacked (reusing old label); old library stamp and 1646 inscription on verse of title. $375.

Christ Dying and Drawing Sinners to Himselfe. London: J.D. for Andrew Crooke, 1647. 4to, 19th century ½ calf, bit worn. A few stains & very minor marginal worming in middle, but text generally very good. (36) 598 (should read 634 due to a mispagination in the 400´s) pages. $375.
    __________ [another copy] original calf, newly rebacked. $385.

The Divine Right of Church"”Government and Excommunication: ... London:
    Iohn Field for Christopher Meredith, 1646. 4to, original calf, newly rebacked; a 3 & 4 torn without loss. (26´) 656, 103pp $400.
    __________ [another copy] original calf, boards not quite matching, title bit soiled. $385.

A Survey of the Spiritual Antichrist. London: J.D. & R.I. for Andrew Crooke, 1648. 4to, 19th century calf, bit worn; title & following 3 leaves stained,
    with small hole in title & 4th leaf just affecting text and larger holes in leaves 2 & 3 (of the Epistle to the reader) affecting substantial text. Text
    otherwise good.(though marginal stain for a bit at front). (40) 354, 239pp $300.
    [another copy] old calf, newly rebacked. $375.

The copies of the Spiritual Antichrist have been offered to a customer in England, his choice (I should have thought you might be interested and let you have the choice, but... you can have the choice if he doesn´t want either, but, as he probably will, you can have the other if you want.
    Please let me know about the others; the ones described as newly rebacked are at my binders and will be available in mid-June. The others I have here and can send immediately.
    I´m sorry I didn´t get copies of all of Rutherford´s titles, but 27 volumes of 17th century first editions is nevertheless quite something! and I expect I´ll never be offered anything like it again.
    I´ll look forward to hearing from you.
    Best regards,
    [David]
    5th June 1991

Dear Chris,
    Just home from 3 weeks in the U.K. and am trying to send off books already ordered before getting down to more writing commitments (I´m hoping I´ll be able to get a list out next month, but meantime I have two more articles for the Dictionary of Scottish Church History and Theology plus the article for the book of essays on worship plus the Presbyterian Advocate!). {David is referring above to his and Frank Smith´s Worship in the Presence of God.}
    The Rutherford´s (enclosed), which I picked up from my binder, are as follows:
    S. Rutherford, Peaceable Plea $375.00
    S. Rutherford, Divine Right 400.00
    S. Rutherford, Christ dying 385.00
    postage 5.00
    Total due $1165.00
    I trust you enjoy them!
    Best regards,
    [David]
    (Dr) David C. Lachman
    2. Alexander F. Mitchell, edited by David Hay Fleming, The Scottish reformation: Its epochs, episodes, leaders, and distinctive characteristics {being the Baird lecture for 1899} (William Blackwood and Sons, 1900). No name (which is preferrable I know) but an inscription: "To Mr. A. Gow With the editor's kind regards 5th Oct 1908"
    The corrections are in red ink. There are some later pencil markings probably from subsequent owners, which are noted also on the front end papers. I purchased this from "A List of Theological Books for Sale" David C. Lachman, Winter 1986.
    Description:
    "139. Mitchell, Alexander F. The Scottish Reformation Its Epochs, Episodes, Leaders, and Distinctive Characteristics. ed. D.Hay Fleming. Edinburgh: William Blackwood and Sons, 1900. Portrait, xliv, 318 pages. With a preface by DHF and a biographical sketch of the author by James Christie. $35.00"
    Dr. Lachman has a P. S. note on the invoice. "Note that the Mitchell has an inscription from D Hay Fleming & also has some corrections of typo's in his hand."
    The Blue Banner Archive
    The Regulative Principle: The Scriptures are the “only infallible rule of faith and practice, no rite or ceremony ought to have a place in the public worship of God, which is not warranted in Scripture, either by direct precept or example, or by good and sufficient inference” (Samuel Miller).
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Joining PB's Politics & Government Forum

Blog Entries
    Sorry, I didn't edit out the prices; this is an expensive hobby to be sure (even 15 years ago!).
    The Blue Banner Archive

Peter is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    On ebay a little while ago there was a copy of "Reformation Principles Exhibited" signed by Alexander Mcleod given as a gift to Ezra Stiles Ely, a moderator of the Presbyterian Church, with his signature in it as well. David Lachmen bid on it. It sold for $318.

Here's the link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

[Edited on 7-15-2006 by Peter]
    *Peter Gray* Elkins Park RPCNA

"Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief. " Mk 9:24
    "The greatest thing we can desire, next to the glory of God, is our own salvation; and the sweetest thing we can desire is the assurance of our salvation. In this life we cannot get higher than to be assured of that which in the next life is to be enjoyed. All saints shall enjoy a heaven when they leave this earth; some saints enjoy a heaven while they are here on earth." Joseph Caryl

Blog Entries
    David has beat me on ebay a time or two. But we both lost that McLeod item.:P
    The Blue Banner Archive

Peter is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    ah, that's right, but Skybks told us he liked his mircrofilm reader if that's any consolation.

[Edited on 7-16-2006 by Peter]
    *Peter Gray* Elkins Park RPCNA

"Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief. " Mk 9:24
    "The greatest thing we can desire, next to the glory of God, is our own salvation; and the sweetest thing we can desire is the assurance of our salvation. In this life we cannot get higher than to be assured of that which in the next life is to be enjoyed. All saints shall enjoy a heaven when they leave this earth; some saints enjoy a heaven while they are here on earth." Joseph Caryl

Blog Entries
    Beats a microscope and light table for sure.
    The Blue Banner Archive

Kevin is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    I have tons. I used to go to a lot of reformed conferences so anyone I have ever heard speak I asked to sign a copy of their book.

But my favorite is a first (US) edition of History of the Great War (8 vol) By John Buchan.
    TE Kevin Rogers
    MNA Church Planter
    Redeemer Community Church
    Moncton NB