Updates & Information discuss No Posting on Sundays? in the Information and Introductions forums; Should I not post on Sundays? Just not sure about the rules......

McPatrickClan is offline. Inactive User

No Posting on Sundays?

Should I not post on Sundays? Just not sure about the rules...

Joshua is offline. Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Gavin, you should post according to your conscience.

The Lord's Day should be set aside for the express purpose of corporate worship, family worship, and godly discussion which points us to the purpose of the day (that is, Theology (the study of God) and proper worship (worship according to the Word of God).

We would wish that all would take this more seriously (including ourselves), however the only forum which we're restricting on the Lord's Day right now is the Politics & Forum. The reason for this is because it seems to have, over time, moved the emphasis from the Lord's Day more and more. Due to the polarizing nature of the posts typically found therein, we decided to put a moratorium on Political posts on the Lord's Day.
    Josh
    CCRPC, RPCGA
    Board Rules - Signature Rules

It is our interest, as well as duty, cheerfully to acquiesce in the will of God, whatever befals us. That we may not complain of what is, let us see God's hand in all events; and, that we may not be afraid of what shall be, let us see all events in God's hand. - Matthew Henry

Got it- thanks. As an aside, I am still trying to figure out the Sabbath thing... I had a pastor who did nothing from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. Just don't know a ton about The Sabbath...

Backwoods Presbyterian is offline now. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries
    Here is a book for you to read...
    Rev. Benjamin P. Glaser, M. Div, ARP
    Pastor, Ellisville Presbyterian Church, ARP
    Ellisville, Mississippi

‎‎"Ministers of the Gospel, when dispensing the truths of God, must preach home to their own souls, as well as unto others. Sir's, we do not deliver truths or doctrines to you, wherein we ourselves have no manner of concern. No, our own souls are at the stake, and shall either perish or be saved eternally, as we receive or reject these precious truths which we deliver unto you. And truly, it can never be expected that we will apply the truths of God with any warmth or liveliness unto others, unless we first make a warm application thereof to our own souls. And if we do not feed upon these doctrines, and practise these duties, which we deliver to and inculcate upon you, though we preach unto others, we ourselves are but castaways." -- Ebenezer Erskine, "The Assurance of Faith", pg. 8

Deo Vindice

DMcFadden is offline. Meum cerebrum nocet
    Benjamin,

Thanks for the tip . . . I ordered it too. Interestingly, I was listening to Pipa's treatment of justification (iPod) on the way home from church today.

You are one odd duck for a 27 vet of the PCUSA. Your theology just doesn't correspond to any stereotype I have of PTS in this era! Are you sure that you left PCUSA of your own choice? Or, did they run you out with the smell of tar in the air? Maybe some of the pastors invoked the sisterhood and began praying to Sophia regarding your need to leave their ranks?
    Dennis E. McFadden, Ex Mainline Baptist (in Remission)
    Atherton Baptist Homes, Alhambra, CA, President/CEO
    Emmanuel Lutheran Church, LCMS

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Backwoods Presbyterian is offline now. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries
    I do get a little wary when I see people collecting sticks...

I am an odd duck that is for sure...
    Rev. Benjamin P. Glaser, M. Div, ARP
    Pastor, Ellisville Presbyterian Church, ARP
    Ellisville, Mississippi

‎‎"Ministers of the Gospel, when dispensing the truths of God, must preach home to their own souls, as well as unto others. Sir's, we do not deliver truths or doctrines to you, wherein we ourselves have no manner of concern. No, our own souls are at the stake, and shall either perish or be saved eternally, as we receive or reject these precious truths which we deliver unto you. And truly, it can never be expected that we will apply the truths of God with any warmth or liveliness unto others, unless we first make a warm application thereof to our own souls. And if we do not feed upon these doctrines, and practise these duties, which we deliver to and inculcate upon you, though we preach unto others, we ourselves are but castaways." -- Ebenezer Erskine, "The Assurance of Faith", pg. 8

Deo Vindice

kalawine is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Backwoods Presbyterian View Post
    I do get a little wary when I see people collecting sticks...
    How about picking some heads of grain and eating them? Please forgive me (I just couldn't resist)
    Kevin - PCA - Mississippi

"What, for some, is sin, others do to the glory of God. And the good Dr. Pentecost's remarks notwithstanding, I intend to go home tonight and smoke a cigar to the glory of God. It is a kind of incense drifting to Heaven." - Charles Spurgeon

"Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!" - 2 Corinthians 9:15

larryjf is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Blog Entries
    Larry Bray
    Elder - Reformed Presbyterian Church of Boothwyn, PCA
    Boothwyn, PA - http://www.rpcb.org/
    Free Online Reformed Seminary - http://www.tnars.net
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Christian ritual costs nothing and is worth nothing. True Christian religion costs all that we have and is worth everything.

Scott1 is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Chapter XXI
    Of Religious Worship, and the Sabbath Day

VI. Neither prayer, nor any other part of religious worship, is now, under the Gospel, either tied unto, or made more acceptable by any place in which it is performed, or towards which it is directed:[27] but God is to be worshipped everywhere,[28] in spirit and truth;[29] as, in private families[30] daily,[31] and in secret, each one by himself;[32] so, more solemnly in the public assemblies, which are not carelessly or wilfully to be neglected, or forsaken, when God, by His Word or providence, calls thereunto.[33]

VII. As it is the law of nature, that, in general, a due proportion of time be set apart for the worship of God; so, in His Word, by a positive, moral, and perpetual commandment binding all men in all ages, He has particularly appointed one day in seven, for a Sabbath, to be kept holy unto him:[34] which, from the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ, was the last day of the week: and, from the resurrection of Christ, was changed into the first day of the week,[35] which, in Scripture, is called the Lord's Day,[36] and is to be continued to the end of the world, as the Christian Sabbath.[37]

VIII. This Sabbath is to be kept holy unto the Lord when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and ordering of their common affairs beforehand, do not only observe an holy rest all the day from their own works, words, and thoughts about their wordly employments and recreations,[38] but also are taken up the whole time in the public and private exercises of His worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy.[39]
    Trying, by God's grace to keep the Fourth Commandment is an important part of the Christian life.

Myself, Gavin, and for my family I try, by God's grace,to refrain from ordinary activities (like posting) on the Lord's Day. The high standard set in our Confession really even requires taking our thoughts, words, and deeds off of it so we focus on worship. This is very difficult to do, I don't always keep this perfectly but I have found blessing in obedience and leading the family in obedience.

Practically, my understanding is the Sabbath ends at sundown, so I try the whole day to Remember the Sabbath Day and keep it Holy.

Blessings to you.

Thank you all for the suggestions on reading material.

Scott, I see the WCF statement on The Sabbath and I am sold on the idea that we should keep it until The Return of The Lord, but how did it get moved from Saturday to Sunday?

(This is not a Romans 9 type of question. I really do not know.)

NaphtaliPress is offline. Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    Thank you all for the suggestions on reading material.

Scott, I see the WCF statement on The Sabbath and I am sold on the idea that we should keep it until The Return of The Lord, but how did it get moved from Saturday to Sunday?

(This is not a Romans 9 type of question. I really do not know.)
    See Sabbath The Day Changed; The Sabbath Preserved, A. A. Hodge
    And this exchange which has a useful chart on the appearances of the Lord after his Resurrection. Exchange between Richard Bacon and Seventh Day Adventist
    Also see James Durham on the fourth commandment from his lectures on the Ten Commandments
    The Fourth Commandment | Naphtali Press
    Chris Coldwell, Lakewood Presbyterian Church (PCA), Dallas, Texas.
    • Naphtali Press: Presbyterian & Reformed Books
    • Westminster Letter Press
    The Confessional Presbyterian Journal
    The Blue Banner Archive
    Calvin in the Hands of the Philistines: Did Calvin Bowl on the Sabbath?
    The Regulative Principle: The Scriptures are the “only infallible rule of faith and practice, no rite or ceremony ought to have a place in the public worship of God, which is not warranted in Scripture, either by direct precept or example, or by good and sufficient inference” (Samuel Miller).
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Joining PB's Politics & Government Forum

Presbyterian Deacon is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    Excellent quotes from the Church Fathers in the Hodge article. Thank you!
    Sterling Harmon
    Presbyterian Church of Coventry (PCA)
    Coventry, CT
    Ruling Elder

"Whatever is laudable in our works proceeds from the grace of God."
    -- John Calvin, Institutes III:xv.3.

"Our Lord God must be a good man, to be fond of worthless fellows. I cannot like them, and yet I, myself, am one."
    -- Martin Luther, Table Talk

Interim Pulpit Supply of New England

My Facebook

Scott1 is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Here's one article that specifically addresses this:

From Sabbath to Lord’s Day « Green Baggins