See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 64

The Pilgrims Progress discuss What is wrong with Tim Tebow in the The Christian Walk forums; Hi: I believe that Tim Tebow is a Christian, and that he is sincere in his faith to God. I also think that it is ...

  1. #1
    CalvinandHodges's Avatar
    CalvinandHodges is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,889

    What is wrong with Tim Tebow

    Hi:

    I believe that Tim Tebow is a Christian, and that he is sincere in his faith to God. I also think that it is refreshing to see a sports figure who is not a drunk, drug addict, woman abuser, animal abuser, or a gambler, but displays an affection for God, and gives all the glory specifically to Jesus Christ. As such, I think that Tim Tebow's faith is one that should inspire many Christians in and out of sports.

    What irks me about Tim Tebow is that his wonderful profession of faith is a means to justify working on the Sabbath. The Reformed view of keeping the Sabbath day holy is that we are to refrain from our work and recreations and devote the day to God. That only works of "necessity and mercy" are acceptable activities on the Sabbath day. Mr. Tebow's profession is that of a Quarterback in the NFL. This causes him to work on the Sabbath. Also, I have never seen a learned treatise that claims that the sport of Football falls into the category of necessity nor that of mercy. So, to play it or watch it played on the Sabbath seems to be contrary to the Christian Walk. What worries me is that such a wonderful profession is being used to promote unrighteousness rather than righteousness.

    I gleaned this view of the Sabbath from reading the Bible, WSC Q60 and Q61 as well as Richard Gaffin's treatise on, Calvin and the Sabbath, Joeseph Pipa's, The Lord's Day, Walter Chantry's, Call the Sabbath a Delight, and Dennison's, The Market Day of the Soul.

    The way to destroy Christianity is to put an end to Sabbath observance.

    Blessings,

    Rob
    Last edited by CalvinandHodges; 12-18-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: fixed referance
    In Essentials Unity, in non-Essentials Liberty, in all things Charity.

    Robert Paul Wieland
    RPCNA
    Pittsburgh, PA
    4 member(s) found this post helpful.

  2. #2
    jwithnell's Avatar
    jwithnell is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,481
    Rob, you and I and most everyone else on the board have been blessed by excellent teaching. I know many committed Christians who have no idea that the sabbath is required of them and have had the Bible twisted around so that they don't even see the plain truth in the reading on the subject. This is one area where we can be a witness within the community of faith. To me it seemed so evident because of excellent teaching: I haven't watched a pro game since maybe a month or so after coming to Christ, and no one even had to say that football was a problem; it was the natural outworking of the teaching on the law.
    JWithnell
    Member Bethel OPC
    Virginia
    http://learningyesican.blogspot.com/
    http://bethelpres.com/
    2 member(s) found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    earl40's Avatar
    earl40 is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,153
    Quote Originally Posted by CalvinandHodges View Post

    The way to destroy Christianity is to put an end to Sabbath observance.

    Blessings,

    Rob
    So if the Sabbath is eliminated the devil wins?
    Earl, a man, married to a girl named Tina.
    Member of Willow Creek Church PCA in Winter Springs Florida.

  4. #4
    MLCOPE2's Avatar
    MLCOPE2 is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,667
    Quote Originally Posted by earl40 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CalvinandHodges View Post

    The way to destroy Christianity is to put an end to Sabbath observance.

    Blessings,

    Rob
    So if the Sabbath is eliminated the devil wins?
    It would seem that J.C. Ryle had a similar sentiment regarding the desecration of the Sabbath:

    It is not too much to say that the prosperity or decay of organized Christianity depends on the maintenance of the Christian Sabbath. Break down the fence which now surrounds the Sunday, and our Sunday schools will soon come to an end. Let in the Hood of worldliness and pleasure-seeking on the Lord’s Day, without check or hindrance, and our congregations will soon dwindle away. There is not too much religion in the land now. Destroy the sanctity of the Sabbath, and there would soon be far less. Nothing in short, I believe, would so thoroughly advance the kingdom of Satan as to withdraw legal protection from the Lord’s Day. It would be a joy to the infidel; but it would be an insult and offense to God.
    Michael Cope
    Westminster Presbyterian Church - PCA (Covenanter by conviction)
    Fort Myers, FL

    "Some people have greatness thrust upon them. Very few have excellence thrust upon them...They achieve it. They do not achieve it unwittingly by 'doing what comes naturally' and they don't stumble into it in the course of amusing themselves. All excellence involves discipline and tenacity of purpose." John Gardner
    8 member(s) found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    TimV's Avatar
    TimV is offline. Puritanboard Botanist
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    8,198
    But the Westminster West thinkers say the Reformers were wrong and didn't take their theology to it's logical conclusion, which is that the Church should have nothing to do with Christianising secular institutions. That would be "cultural transformation" and to be avoided at all cost. So there is no more such a legit thing as a Christian work week as there is Christian education.
    Tim Vaughan
    Member, Redeemer Presbyterian, OPC,
    Santa Maria
    California

  6. #6
    MarquezsDg is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    102
    Is it a loophole to DVR your fav NFL team and watch them on Monday then? This thread is intresting and never really given much thought but Im a huge NFL guy. and was just thinking this to myself if dvr the games would then be ok.

    Hussein
    West Side Baptist Church
    Boynton Beach, Fl

  7. #7
    Unoriginalname's Avatar
    Unoriginalname is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,174
    Quote Originally Posted by MarquezsDg View Post
    Is it a loophole to DVR your fav NFL team and watch them on Monday then? This thread is intresting and never really given much thought but Im a huge NFL guy. and was just thinking this to myself if dvr the games would then be ok.
    You would still be requiring people to work on the sabbath in order to entertain you. It is not as if it was just shown on Sundays. The entire spectacle is preformed on Sunday. Just food for thought
    Eric

    Member of Northeast Community Church (PCA)
    Attending Covenant Reformed Church (URCNA)
    Scranton, PA

    17 Beware lest you say in your heart, ‘My power and the might of my hand have gotten me this wealth.’ 18You shall remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you power to get wealth, that he may confirm his covenant that he swore to your fathers, as it is this day. Deuteronomy 8

  8. #8
    asc's Avatar
    asc
    asc is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    725
    What's wrong with Tim Tebow?

    I know little about Tebow, but I'd assume like most American evangelicals, he has a low view of the Sabbath. Is this really a surprise? (Or is he Reformed or confessional?)
    Alex
    Member of Carmel Baptist Church (SBC)
    Matthews, NC

  9. #9
    Marrow Man's Avatar
    Marrow Man is offline. Drunk with Powder
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    11,853
    What's wrong with Tim Tebow. He played college football for the University of Florida Gators. 'Nuff said.

    He not only works on the Lord's Day, but contributes to the mindless entertainment that distracts from the Lord's Day.
    Tim Phillips
    Pastor, Midlane Park Presbyterian Church (ARP)
    Louisville, KY
    Husband of Scottish Lass
    Father of Grace Cameron Phillips
    My Blog: Gairney Bridge
    My Facebook/My Avatar

    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?
    8 member(s) found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    jwithnell's Avatar
    jwithnell is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,481
    I agree with Eric, that we are to be careful about what we have others do on the Lord's Day. When the fourth commandment is given under the Mosaic covenant, numerous groups are mentioned including the stranger that is within your gate -- a catch-all that would include even those who are unknown to us and outside the faith.

    It is interesting to me that the NFL took hold and flourished after most of the US had abandoned even the cultural recognition of a sabbath rest. Before that, people watched football when they should: when the SEC was playing on Saturdays.
    JWithnell
    Member Bethel OPC
    Virginia
    http://learningyesican.blogspot.com/
    http://bethelpres.com/

  11. #11
    Marrow Man's Avatar
    Marrow Man is offline. Drunk with Powder
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    11,853
    IIRC, the NFL almost withered and died in the early half of the 20th century. It was TV that saved it. The fact that people could stay home and watch the game saved the league.
    Tim Phillips
    Pastor, Midlane Park Presbyterian Church (ARP)
    Louisville, KY
    Husband of Scottish Lass
    Father of Grace Cameron Phillips
    My Blog: Gairney Bridge
    My Facebook/My Avatar

    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Brother John is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    957
    If a christian was talented enough do you think they could get signed to a team if they refused to dress on The Lord's Day? Are there enough Monday night games a year for a team to pay a player the minimum salary. Probably a dumb question but I thought I would throw it out there.
    John
    PCA
    Greenville, SC


    Semper Reformanda ~ “The church is reformed and always being reformed according to the Word of God.”


    “Preach the gospel, die, and be forgotten.” ~ Count Nicolaus von Zinzendorf (1700–1760)

  13. #13
    Andres's Avatar
    Andres is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother John View Post
    If a christian was talented enough do you think they could get signed to a team if they refused to dress on The Lord's Day? Are there enough Monday night games a year for a team to pay a player the minimum salary. Probably a dumb question but I thought I would throw it out there.
    Absolutely no way an NFL team would sign a player who refused to play on the Lord's Day.

    ---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginalname View Post
    You would still be requiring people to work on the sabbath in order to entertain you. It is not as if it was just shown on Sundays. The entire spectacle is preformed on Sunday. Just food for thought
    But he's not watching on the Sabbath. If the logic is we shouldn't watch any NFL, even on the other six days of the week because they play on the Lord's Day, wouldn't this logic expect us to not ever eat at restaurants that are open on the Lord's Day? For example, McDonald's is open on Sundays. Even though I won't go there on Sundays, is it wrong for me to eat there Monday since I'm supporting a business that requires people to work on the Sabbath?
    Andrew Silva
    RE OPC (currently not serving)
    Dallas Reformed Presbyterian Church (RPCNA)
    North Dallas

    My blog - Lose Your Life
    Follow me - Twitter

    He is your friend who pushes you nearer to God. - Abraham Kuyper

  14. #14
    seajayrice's Avatar
    seajayrice is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    764
    If I'm Tebow's agent, he's a work of necessity.
    CJ Rice
    Member Christ RPCNA
    East Providence, RI
    Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

  15. #15
    AThornquist's Avatar
    AThornquist is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginalname View Post
    You would still be requiring people to work on the sabbath in order to entertain you. It is not as if it was just shown on Sundays. The entire spectacle is preformed on Sunday. Just food for thought
    But he's not watching on the Sabbath. If the logic is we shouldn't watch any NFL, even on the other six days of the week because they play on the Lord's Day, wouldn't this logic expect us to not ever eat at restaurants that are open on the Lord's Day? For example, McDonald's is open on Sundays. Even though I won't go there on Sundays, is it wrong for me to eat there Monday since I'm supporting a business that requires people to work on the Sabbath?
    If I am understanding this correctly, I don't think that logic is right. A closer view might be that we wouldn't eat the food on Monday that was cooked on Sunday, since even if we put off consumption, the production was still done on the Sabbath.
    Last edited by Marrow Man; 12-19-2011 at 07:28 AM. Reason: fixed quote
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

  16. #16
    Unoriginalname's Avatar
    Unoriginalname is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,174
    I was just throwing the idea out there and not trying to be dogmatic. The nfl is a non issue to me anyway so I guess I approach it with an attitude that it is all silliness, as spoken from a man in an apron. I was not attempting to bind anyone's conscious to the notion
    Eric

    Member of Northeast Community Church (PCA)
    Attending Covenant Reformed Church (URCNA)
    Scranton, PA

    17 Beware lest you say in your heart, ‘My power and the might of my hand have gotten me this wealth.’ 18You shall remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you power to get wealth, that he may confirm his covenant that he swore to your fathers, as it is this day. Deuteronomy 8

  17. #17
    Andres's Avatar
    Andres is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,391
    Quote Originally Posted by AThornquist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginalname View Post
    You would still be requiring people to work on the sabbath in order to entertain you. It is not as if it was just shown on Sundays. The entire spectacle is preformed on Sunday. Just food for thought
    But he's not watching on the Sabbath. If the logic is we shouldn't watch any NFL, even on the other six days of the week because they play on the Lord's Day, wouldn't this logic expect us to not ever eat at restaurants that are open on the Lord's Day? For example, McDonald's is open on Sundays. Even though I won't go there on Sundays, is it wrong for me to eat there Monday since I'm supporting a business that requires people to work on the Sabbath?
    If I am understanding this correctly, I don't think that logic is right. A closer view might be that we wouldn't eat the food on Monday that was cooked on Sunday, since even if we put off consumption, the production was still done on the Sabbath.
    Good point. You're right that analogy is probably better. Now with that in mind, I'm thinking the majority of restaurants do some sort of prep work the day before, therefore Monday's consumption involved some sort of work on the Lord's Day. Does anyone on the board boycott restaurants all-together or at least consider this implication?

    ---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginalname View Post
    I was just throwing the idea out there and not trying to be dogmatic. The nfl is a non issue to me anyway so I guess I approach it with an attitude that it is all silliness, as spoken from a man in an apron. I was not attempting to bind anyone's conscious to the notion
    No worries brother. In all honesty, I've struggled to in the past on whether I could in good conscience enjoy NFL games on Monday that I recorded on Sunday. I still don't know the answer.
    Last edited by Marrow Man; 12-19-2011 at 07:29 AM. Reason: fixed quote
    Andrew Silva
    RE OPC (currently not serving)
    Dallas Reformed Presbyterian Church (RPCNA)
    North Dallas

    My blog - Lose Your Life
    Follow me - Twitter

    He is your friend who pushes you nearer to God. - Abraham Kuyper

  18. #18
    J. Dean's Avatar
    J. Dean is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,396
    Quote Originally Posted by AThornquist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginalname View Post
    You would still be requiring people to work on the sabbath in order to entertain you. It is not as if it was just shown on Sundays. The entire spectacle is preformed on Sunday. Just food for thought
    But he's not watching on the Sabbath. If the logic is we shouldn't watch any NFL, even on the other six days of the week because they play on the Lord's Day, wouldn't this logic expect us to not ever eat at restaurants that are open on the Lord's Day? For example, McDonald's is open on Sundays. Even though I won't go there on Sundays, is it wrong for me to eat there Monday since I'm supporting a business that requires people to work on the Sabbath?
    If I am understanding this correctly, I don't think that logic is right. A closer view might be that we wouldn't eat the food on Monday that was cooked on Sunday, since even if we put off consumption, the production was still done on the Sabbath.
    Now see... this is getting awfully close to the pharisaical view of the Sabbath IMHO. We need to be careful about this.
    J. Dean, author
    EPC
    Flint, Michigan

    “If your preaching of the gospel of God's free grace in Jesus Christ does not provoke the charge from some of antinomianism, you're not preaching the gospel of the free grace of God in Jesus Christ.”
    ― D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
    3 member(s) found this post helpful.

  19. #19
    FCC's Avatar
    FCC
    FCC is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    198
    Blog Entries
    15
    Is the question really what is wrong with Tim Tebow? Or should it be what is wrong with our culture? I have struggled with this myself recently and still haven't found a good answer. I do not watch the NFL or any other professional or college sport, for biblical reasons, including the Sabbath breaking that is involved. But it seems that we have raised up another "popular" Christian and endowed him with almost idol like qualities. He stands for what passes for evangelical Christianity in our day and that is a sad commentary on the church. Examining Tebow and the whole craze has made me grieve over current state of the church and look more and more unto Christ, who alone is able to defend His church and raise her from the dust in which she seems so comfortable!
    David Biser
    Non affiliated at present time (but searching!)
    Maryland
    2 member(s) found this post helpful.

  20. #20
    John Lanier's Avatar
    John Lanier is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,641
    Quote Originally Posted by FCC View Post
    I do not watch the NFL or any other professional or college sport, for biblical reasons, including the Sabbath breaking that is involved.
    Just curious as to why you don't watch college sports since you brought it up and said there were biblical reasons for not doing so.
    John Lanier
    Grace Heritage Church, Auburn, AL
    Lanett, AL

  21. #21
    CalvinandHodges's Avatar
    CalvinandHodges is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,889
    Hi:

    I thank you all for your excellent posts and thoughtful thoughts. I could now use some advise: A short time ago a friend of mine fully endorsed the actions of Tim Tebow in a public forum. He posted a picture of himself and his family all wearing Denver Bronco uniforms, and pointed out that he wished more Christians were like Mr. Tebow. When I pointed out the contents in the above OP on the public forum that he was writing on he then sent me a private message saying that I was being disruptive in the Church because I should have aired my difference with him in private. I then pointed out that he posted on a public forum, and that I replied on the same forum.

    What bothers me is that he is an associate pastor in a Reformed church, and he should have known better, or, he should have qualified his endorsement of Tim Tebow. Posting such things as a pastor would cause other Christians to follow the example of Tim Tebow.

    What do you think?

    Blessings,

    Rob
    In Essentials Unity, in non-Essentials Liberty, in all things Charity.

    Robert Paul Wieland
    RPCNA
    Pittsburgh, PA

  22. #22
    calgal's Avatar
    calgal is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,472
    The only problem with Tebow is he is not a Bear. As for the sanctimonious drabble, you turn on the heat, use electricity, running water, drive on the roads, get online etc. By doing these things, you compel someone else to work on the Sabbath.
    Gail
    4 member(s) found this post helpful.

  23. #23
    Tripel's Avatar
    Tripel is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,572
    Quote Originally Posted by CalvinandHodges View Post
    When I pointed out the contents in the above OP on the public forum that he was writing on he then sent me a private message saying that I was being disruptive in the Church because I should have aired my difference with him in private. I then pointed out that he posted on a public forum, and that I replied on the same forum.
    I think your friend is right.
    If I posted something in a public forum that was questionable due to a lack of judgment or understanding, I would much rather have a friend say something to me privately than to use the same public forum to try to correct me.
    Daniel
    Madrid, Spain
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

  24. #24
    NaphtaliPress's Avatar
    NaphtaliPress is offline. Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    17,994
    Blog Entries
    22
    Like the conversations we have all the time on PB? If you say something in conversation in front of folks that is an error (and obvious exception to one's confession of faith) a response from someone would be natural to inform that person and those who just heard what was said. Same goes in a public discussion forum. He needs to get over it and spend more time working on his confessional stance than getting all defensive about how the grievousness of his statements was brought to his attention.

    Quote Originally Posted by CalvinandHodges View Post
    I then pointed out that he posted on a public forum, and that I replied on the same forum.
    Chris Coldwell, Lakewood Presbyterian Church (PCA), Dallas, Texas.
    • Naphtali Press: Presbyterian & Reformed Books
    • Westminster Letter Press
    The Confessional Presbyterian Journal
    The Blue Banner Archive
    Calvin in the Hands of the Philistines: Did Calvin Bowl on the Sabbath?
    The Regulative Principle: The Scriptures are the “only infallible rule of faith and practice, no rite or ceremony ought to have a place in the public worship of God, which is not warranted in Scripture, either by direct precept or example, or by good and sufficient inference” (Samuel Miller).
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Joining PB's Politics & Government Forum
    3 member(s) found this post helpful.

  25. #25
    TimV's Avatar
    TimV is offline. Puritanboard Botanist
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    8,198
    Or maybe the better question is how obligatory is it to qualify one's appreciation of a Christian by pointing out short comings.
    Tim Vaughan
    Member, Redeemer Presbyterian, OPC,
    Santa Maria
    California
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

  26. #26
    Tripel's Avatar
    Tripel is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,572
    Quote Originally Posted by TimV View Post
    Or maybe the better question is how obligatory is it to qualify one's appreciation of a Christian by pointing out short comings.
    Ditto.

    I don't know the full context of this scenario with Rob's friend, but from the little that is described it doesn't sound like such a bad thing. I too wish more Christians were like Tebow.
    Daniel
    Madrid, Spain

  27. #27
    PuritanCovenanter's Avatar
    PuritanCovenanter is offline. The Norseman Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,702
    Blog Entries
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by calgal View Post
    The only problem with Tebow is he is not a Bear. As for the sanctimonious drabble, you turn on the heat, use electricity, running water, drive on the roads, get online etc. By doing these things, you compel someone else to work on the Sabbath.

    You might benefit from this discourse in Edward Fisher's book, 'The Marrow of Modern Divinity'.

    CHARACTERS APPEARING IN THE DIALOGUE:
    EVANGELISTA, a Minister of the Gospel
    NEOPHYTUS, a Young Christian
    NOMOLOGISTA, a Prattler of the Law

    EVANGELISTA
    . Well, then, I pray you consider, that as the Lord in the third commandment doth prescribe the right manner how he will be worshipped, so doth he in the fourth commandment, set down the time when he will be most solemnly worshipped, after the right manner; and in this commandment there is an affirmative part, expressed in these words, "Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy," &c.: that is, remember that the seventh day in every week be set apart from worldly things and business, and be consecrated to God by holy and heavenly employments; and a negative part, expressed also in these words, "In it thou shalt not do any work," &c. That is, thou shalt not on that day do any such thing or work as doth any way hinder thee from keeping an holy rest unto God.

    NEOPHYTUS
    . I pray you, sir, begin with the affirmative part, and first tell us what the Lord requires of us in this commandment.

    EVANGELISTA
    . In this fourth commandment the Lord requires that we finish all our works in the space of six days, (Deut 5:13), and think on the seventh day before it come, and prepare for it, (Luke 23:54), and rise early on that day in the morning, (Psa 92:2, Mark 1:35,38,39). Yea, and the Lord requires that we fit ourselves for the public exercises by prayer, reading, and meditation, (Eccl 5:1, Isa 7:10); and that we join with the minister and people publicly assembled, with assent of mind, and fervency of affection in prayer, (Acts 2:42); in hearing the word read and preached, (Acts 13:14,15,44); in singing of Psalms, (1 Cor 14:15,16, Col 3:16); in the sacrament of baptism, (Luke 1:58,59); and in the sacrament of the Lord's Supper, so often as it shall be administered in that congregation whereof we are members, (1 Cor 11:26).
    Then afterwards, when we come home, the Lord requires that we seriously meditate on that portion of the word of which we have heard, (Acts 17:11), and repeat it to our families, (Deut 6:7), and confer of it with others, if there be occasion, (Luke 24:14,17); and that we crave his blessing when we have done all this, (John 17:17).

    NEOPHYTUS
    . And is this all that the Lord requires us to do on that day?

    EVANGELISTA
    . No; the Lord also requires that we do works of mercy on that day, as to visit the sick, and do them what good we can, (Neh 8:12, Mark 3:3-5), and relieve the poor and needy, and such as be in prison, (Luke 13:16), and labour to reconcile those that be at variance and discord, (Matt 5:9).
    And the Lord doth permit us to do works of instant necessity on that day, as to travel to places of God's worship, (2 Kings 4:23); to heal the diseased, (Hosea 6:6, Matt 12:7,12); to dress food for the necessary preservation of our temporal lives, (Exo 1:1); to tend and feed cattle, (Matt 12:11); and such like.

    NEOPHYTUS
    . I pray you, sir, proceed to the negative part, and tell us what the Lord forbiddeth in this commandment.

    EVANGELISTA
    . In this commandment the Lord forbiddeth idleness or sleeping more on the Lord's day in the morning, than is of necessity, (Matt 20:6); and he also forbiddeth us to labour in our particular callings, (Exo 16:28-30); and he also forbiddeth us to talk about our worldly affairs and business on that day, (Amos 8:5, Isa 58:13); and he also forbiddeth us to travel any journey about our worldly business on that day, (Matt 24:20); or keep any fairs or markest on that day, (Neh 13:16,17); or to labour in seed time and harvest on that day. In a word, the Lord on that day forbiddeth all worldly works and labours, except works of mercy and instant necessity, which were mentioned before. And thus have I also declared, both what the Lord requires and what he forbids in the fourth commandment. And now, neighbour Nomologista, I pray you tell me, whether you think you keep it perfectly or no.

    NOMOLOGISTA
    . Indeed, sir, I must confess, there is more both required and forbidden in this commandment than I was aware of; but yet I hope I go very near the observing and doing of all.

    NEOPHYTUS
    . But, sir, is the bare observing and doing of these things sufficient for keeping of this commandment perfectly?

    EVANGELISTA
    . Oh no! the first commandment must be understood in all the rest, that is, the obedience to the first commandment must be the motive and final cause of our obedience to the rest of the commandments, otherwise it is not the worship of God, but hypocrisy, as I touched before; wherefore, neighbour Nomologista, though you have done all the duties the Lord requires in this commandment, and avoided all the sins which he forbids, yet, if all this has been from such grounds, and to such ends, as I told you of in the conclusion of the second commandment, and not for the love you bear to God, and the desire you have to please him, you come short of keeping this commandment perfectly.

    NEOPHYTUS
    . Sir, whatsoever he does, I am sure I come far short not only in this point, but in divers others; for though it is true, indeed, I am careful to finish all my worldly business in the space of six days, yet, alas! I do not so seriously think on and prepare for the seventh day as I ought; neither do I many times rise so early on that day as I ought; neither do I so thoroughly fit and prepare myself by prayer and other exercises beforehand as I ought; neither do I so heartily join with the minister and people, when I come to the assembly, as I ought, but am subject to many wandering worldly thoughts and cares even at that time. And when I come home, if I do either meditate, repeat, pray, or confer, yet, alas! I do none of these with such delight or comfort as I ought; neither have I been so mindful nor careful to visit the sick, and relieve the poor, as I ought: neither can I clear myself from being guilty of doing more worldly works or labours on that day, than the works of mercy and instant necessity. The Lord be merciful unto me! I pray you, sir, proceed to speak of the fifth commandment, as you have done of the rest. But first of all, I pray, tell us what is meant by father and mother.

    There are such things as works of necessity. Things that are permissible for the sustenance of life are okay. NFL football is not in the list of necessity for sustenance of life in my estimation. I am not so sure what to make of your comment about sanctimonious drabble. Are you accusing Sabbatarians of Sanctimonious Drabble because they believe that there is a line that is to be drawn concerning what is permissible and not permissible?

    Norseman Moderator

    Randy Martin Snyder
    RPCNA Covenanter's Blog

    "Our object should not be to have scripture on our side but to be on the side of scripture; and however dear any sentiment may have become by being long entertained, so soon as it is seen to be contrary to the Bible, we must be prepared to abandon it without hesitation."
    William Symington


    RSI FacebookReformation Society of Indiana
    Twitter RPCNACovenanter
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions? -- Joining PB Politics and Government Forums
    2 member(s) found this post helpful.

  28. #28
    py3ak's Avatar
    py3ak is offline. They're stalling and plotting against me
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    12,781
    Quote Originally Posted by calgal View Post
    The only problem with Tebow is he is not a Bear. As for the sanctimonious drabble, you turn on the heat, use electricity, running water, drive on the roads, get online etc. By doing these things, you compel someone else to work on the Sabbath.
    That's some charitable language. There are two other issues with this remark. One is that being a sinner oneself does not mean others aren’t, or that they can’t be called out for it. The same prophet who rebuked Jeroboam for his altar disobeyed the word of the Lord and got killed by a lion. If we could only rebuke where we are perfect, well then, you couldn’t have rebuked anyone for “sanctimonious drabble.” The other is that works of necessity are permitted; and certain matters of infrastructure and security are necessary (if not strictly to being, still to well-being): but sports are unnecessary by definition.
    Ruben: Administrator
    NCCC-OP
    Steger, IL

    ...analogy does not mean identity. When we make a comparison we do not make an equation. -John Murray

    Board Rules - Signature Requirements - Suggestions?

    Teología en Mexico
    The Howling Wilderness
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

  29. #29
    toddpedlar's Avatar
    toddpedlar is offline. Iron Dramatist
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,031
    Quote Originally Posted by calgal View Post
    The only problem with Tebow is he is not a Bear. As for the sanctimonious drabble, you turn on the heat, use electricity, running water, drive on the roads, get online etc. By doing these things, you compel someone else to work on the Sabbath.
    1) Any basic reformed discussion of the Sabbath includes provision for the providers of necessary basic services like electricity, water and gas (the internet is questionable perhaps). This has been hashed and rehashed myriad times on the PB and elsewhere. No need to dredge it up again, as it's a non-starter.

    2) Are you seriously arguing that those who watch Tim Tebow play football on the Lord's day compel him to do so? There is absolutely no comparison whatsoever to be made between emergency services workers honorably serving the public on the Lord's Day and athletes breaking the 4th commandment. NONE. Your rhetorical attempt lacks both logic and reason.

    And more seriously:

    [MODERATOR] Characterization of the debate about NFL football as a Sabbath-breaking activity as "sanctimonious drabble" is not acceptable. The position of the confessions is clear, and characterizing adherence to it as "sanctimonious"? You should know better. No more, please. [/MODERATOR]
    Todd K. Pedlar
    member, First Congregational Church, (CCCC) Cresco, IA
    My Blog: In Principio Deus
    24/7 Reformed Internet Radio: Sola5 Radio

    "As God did not at first choose you because you were high, He will not now forsake you because you are low."
    John Flavel in Keeping the Heart

    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Joining PB's Politics & Government Forum
    3 member(s) found this post helpful.

  30. #30
    TimV's Avatar
    TimV is offline. Puritanboard Botanist
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    8,198
    In this commandment the Lord forbiddeth idleness or sleeping more on the Lord's day in the morning, than is of necessity
    Randy are you really good with that?


    1) Any basic reformed discussion of the Sabbath includes provision for the providers of necessary basic services like electricity, water and gas (the internet is questionable perhaps). This has been hashed and rehashed myriad times on the PB and elsewhere. No need to dredge it up again, as it's a non-starter.
    ? The fact that you call firing up the internet on Sunday questionable shows there's a lot of room for bringing the subject up again. You're either buying electricity for something you don't need or you aren't, is my take on it. If there's any question you can go outside and watch the meter turn.
    Tim Vaughan
    Member, Redeemer Presbyterian, OPC,
    Santa Maria
    California

  31. #31
    toddpedlar's Avatar
    toddpedlar is offline. Iron Dramatist
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,031
    Quote Originally Posted by TimV View Post
    In this commandment the Lord forbiddeth idleness or sleeping more on the Lord's day in the morning, than is of necessity
    Randy are you really good with that?


    1) Any basic reformed discussion of the Sabbath includes provision for the providers of necessary basic services like electricity, water and gas (the internet is questionable perhaps). This has been hashed and rehashed myriad times on the PB and elsewhere. No need to dredge it up again, as it's a non-starter.
    ? The fact that you call firing up the internet on Sunday questionable shows there's a lot of room for bringing the subject up again. You're either buying electricity for something you don't need or you aren't, is my take on it. If there's any question you can go outside and watch the meter turn.
    I think you mistake my being rhetorically charitable for the main meaning. The internet itself isn't necessarily a problem. Am I going on the internet to play chess? Ok, that's a problem on the Lord's day. Am I going on it to access my online libraries to do devotional reading? That's a different question. The internet is for many practical purposes a necessity (in fact a large part of the preceding services - gas, electrical power, water - require internet connectivity for their basic operation).

    Regardless of any of that, to argue that NFL football on the Lord's day is permissible by bringing up things like driving on the road and electrical service as clear places where one violates the Sabbath in using them is a plainly fallacious tactic. It doesn't even get out of the gate.
    Todd K. Pedlar
    member, First Congregational Church, (CCCC) Cresco, IA
    My Blog: In Principio Deus
    24/7 Reformed Internet Radio: Sola5 Radio

    "As God did not at first choose you because you were high, He will not now forsake you because you are low."
    John Flavel in Keeping the Heart

    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Joining PB's Politics & Government Forum

  32. #32
    Pilgrim Standard's Avatar
    Pilgrim Standard is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by py3ak View Post
    but sports are unnecessary by definition.
    I second this.
    Benjamin
    Member - Presbyterian Reformed Church, Columbus, Indiana

    “In death it will be your joy that ye have ventured all ye have for Christ; and there is not a promise of heaven made but to such as are willing to suffer for it. It is a castle taken by force.”. — Samuel Rutherford
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

  33. #33
    pre-seminary? is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    14
    It is, indeed, unfortunate that the NFL seems to have a monopoly on Sunday afternoons. However, to be totally honest, I think one would need to be incredibly ignorant of the broader evangelical consensus on Sabbath observance to have been surprised that Tebow plays football on Sundays (a couple of you have touched on that). It would appear that a Christian has essentially no place in pro football if he observes the Sabbath as it is meant to be observed.

    That being said, I have to commend Tebow for his willingness to proclaim the gospel in an incredibly public sphere. He has also spoken openly about his intent to save sex for marriage and did a pro-life commercial during the SuperBowl! All of our attempts to witness to God's glory are to some degree flawed, so I have to admit I feel compelled to cut the guy some slack; as a Christian sports fan, its hard not to love him. Here is an interesting article from the Gospel Coalition, and a humorous video:

    Tebow, Calvin, and the Hand of God in Sports – The Gospel Coalition Blog

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMK9FKMG3Nc

  34. #34
    Zenas's Avatar
    Zenas is offline. Snow Miser
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,191
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Dean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AThornquist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginalname View Post
    You would still be requiring people to work on the sabbath in order to entertain you. It is not as if it was just shown on Sundays. The entire spectacle is preformed on Sunday. Just food for thought
    But he's not watching on the Sabbath. If the logic is we shouldn't watch any NFL, even on the other six days of the week because they play on the Lord's Day, wouldn't this logic expect us to not ever eat at restaurants that are open on the Lord's Day? For example, McDonald's is open on Sundays. Even though I won't go there on Sundays, is it wrong for me to eat there Monday since I'm supporting a business that requires people to work on the Sabbath?
    If I am understanding this correctly, I don't think that logic is right. A closer view might be that we wouldn't eat the food on Monday that was cooked on Sunday, since even if we put off consumption, the production was still done on the Sabbath.
    Now see... this is getting awfully close to the pharisaical view of the Sabbath IMHO. We need to be careful about this.
    Which I think is exactly the point Andre was making re: watching a football game played on Sunday.

    ---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

    There's a lot wrong with Tim Tebow. As a Christian, I think he would readily admit that. While I definitely disagree with working on the Sabbath, and I do see playing football for money to draw advertising and other revenue for team owners and television stations as work, isn't it a poor reflection on us that we dig to find whatever theological flaws we can with the only significant public figure who seems to consistently, yet arguably imperfectly, proclaim Christ from his position? If the magnifying glass were on each of us, I'm willing to wager that lengthy discussions would take place regarding our own failings, whether real or perceived. I'm not saying it's wrong to teach the Biblical view that work should be refrained from on the Lord's day. I am questioning whether we should use that position as a basis to hyperanalyze a kid on a football team who, from all reports, is a sincere Christian and a joy to play with.
    The following users found this post helpful:



    Andrew
    Member, Independent Presbyterian Church (PCA)

  35. #35
    pre-seminary? is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    14
    Thanks for that, Andrew. To turn things around a little further yet, maybe it would be more useful to ask ourselves about the boldness with which we proclaim the gospel in our own sphere of influence. Some of you might be yawning at the simplicity of this sentiment. Could this have something to do with the fact that some of our initial excitement about this topic may have had a lot to do with jealousy? Sometimes it feels good to find fault in someone who is doing a better job than us at preaching Christ. In my estimation, a lot of us here at PB are probably fairly avid in our Sabbath observance, but less effective in communicating some of the presuppositions for why its important to those outside a strictly Reformed enclave. Just a thought. (this will likely apply to some, not all)

  36. #36
    Joshua is offline. _
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    20,319
    Blog Entries
    3
    What's wrong with Tebow?

    The same as with all Christians, wherein the residue of indwelling sin either strongly inhibits our growth in sanctification, or steers us toward a wrong understanding of exactly what it is God requires of us in His commandments. Thankfully, many of us have come under the influence of that great work of recovery the Lord brought through the Reformers and exceptionally furthered by the Puritan, Reformed, & Presbyterian of the 17th Centuries, culminating in that beautiful system of doctrine called the Westminster Standards. By which we're constantly reminded of our duties, our inability perfectly to keep said duties, and thus driven back to faith in the Work of the Lord Jesus Christ alone for merit, but nevertheless encouraged to endeavor toward a greater keeping of our duties.

    So we rightly decry poor practice of professing Christians in the limelight, while still acknowledging our own failures sufficiently to keep God's Law, pray for those limelight Christians better to understand their duty and take it up, while also taking time, if need be, to highlight where they're doing well. No doubt, Mr. Tebow's systematic violation of the Lord's Day is a grievous sin, but what we don't know is how much of that is borne of ignorance on his part. Ignorance does not excuse it, but it may help us understand why he seems to be able to do it without a blush. And so we do what we're able, maybe, to expose Mr. Tebow to the truth, and to the myriad other professing Christians who also desecrate the sabbath day, thinking nothing of it. At the same time, we can do so without being uncharitable as to their intent, and we can couch that charity & criticism in ways that include not only the discountenance of their sins, but a countenancing of their sanctified qualities.
    Josh
    CCRPC, RPCGA
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

  37. #37
    PuritanCovenanter's Avatar
    PuritanCovenanter is offline. The Norseman Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,702
    Blog Entries
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by TimV View Post
    In this commandment the Lord forbiddeth idleness or sleeping more on the Lord's day in the morning, than is of necessity
    Randy are you really good with that?
    Not sure I understand the question Tim. I am usually up reading and preparing my heart early in the morning. I eat at Mom's after church and take a nap afterwards. Then I usually return to Church for the evening service. I don't see anything wrong with that part if that is what you are asking me. There is the positive reinforcement of doing what we ought to be doing in that statement. Don't you think?

    Norseman Moderator

    Randy Martin Snyder
    RPCNA Covenanter's Blog

    "Our object should not be to have scripture on our side but to be on the side of scripture; and however dear any sentiment may have become by being long entertained, so soon as it is seen to be contrary to the Bible, we must be prepared to abandon it without hesitation."
    William Symington


    RSI FacebookReformation Society of Indiana
    Twitter RPCNACovenanter
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions? -- Joining PB Politics and Government Forums

  38. #38
    Don Kistler is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    487
    Thank you for bringing some much needed wisdom to this discussion, Joshua. It has been tough for me to see all the vitriol directed at Tim Tebow. I dare say he's never been taught any Sabbath theology. So it's a much greater sin for one of us to violate the Sabbath, knowing what we know. As our Lord said, "If ye KNOW these things, happy are ye if ye do them."

    Also, the Scriptures enjoin us that "whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report, etc., think on THESE things." The kid is doing a lot of good things, and we ought to applaud him for those, and then pray for him to be instructed in the others.

    Sanctification is a process, and we're all in it. The very thread title, "What's WRONG with Tim Tebow," starts with a negative. One of the criticisms too often laid at Reformed people's feet is that we're against everything and for nothing. In Paul's admonition quoted above, all his list is comprised of positive things. Let's think on those for a change.
    Dr. Don Kistler
    4 member(s) found this post helpful.

  39. #39
    PuritanCovenanter's Avatar
    PuritanCovenanter is offline. The Norseman Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,702
    Blog Entries
    89
    I agree with Dr. Kistler and Josh. A lot!

    Norseman Moderator

    Randy Martin Snyder
    RPCNA Covenanter's Blog

    "Our object should not be to have scripture on our side but to be on the side of scripture; and however dear any sentiment may have become by being long entertained, so soon as it is seen to be contrary to the Bible, we must be prepared to abandon it without hesitation."
    William Symington


    RSI FacebookReformation Society of Indiana
    Twitter RPCNACovenanter
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions? -- Joining PB Politics and Government Forums

  40. #40
    Jeff Burns's Avatar
    Jeff Burns is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by toddpedlar View Post
    And more seriously:

    [MODERATOR] Characterization of the debate about NFL football as a Sabbath-breaking activity as "sanctimonious drabble" is not acceptable. The position of the confessions is clear, and characterizing adherence to it as "sanctimonious"? You should know better. No more, please. [/MODERATOR]
    At the risk of getting this post deleted for being contra-confession, I think it's funny (and sad) that there's at least one or two threads on here every week somehow related to sabbath issues and sabbath breaking, and every time meaningful discussion is (for the most part) impossible because dissenting opinions are disallowed out of the gate. Why do we keep wasting so much time discussing this stuff when we know the only position we're allowed to arrive at is the one we're starting with in the first place???
    Jeff Burns
    SGBA
    Greensboro, NC
    1646 London Baptist Confession of Faith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72