Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 63

General discussions discuss Women should keep silent - and all these ladies on the PB in the General Forums forums; Under the restrictive view of some, the command that women should keep silent in the church means a blanket command that a woman should never ...

  1. #1
    Pergamum's Avatar
    Pergamum is offline. Ordinary Guy (TM)
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    14,901

    Women should keep silent - and all these ladies on the PB

    Under the restrictive view of some, the command that women should keep silent in the church means a blanket command that a woman should never teach a man (even if not in ecclesiastical authority or in a church setting). If some hold to this view, why are there woman posters on the PB?

    You know, they might teach a man something on here?

    Should we move to restrict women posters to only hitting the Thanks key or posting Amen?




    Or....

    Are men and women able to mutually bless each other by theological conversation? If they disagree, should a woman ever then argue for her point?
    Pergamum


    "If a commission by an earthly king is considered a honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?"
    -- David Livingstone

  2. #2
    Jimmy the Greek's Avatar
    Jimmy the Greek is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,386
    Ban them all.


    . . . that's a joke.
    Jim
    1689 LBCF
    Independent Bible Church
    North Texas, USA

  3. #3
    Pilgrim's Avatar
    Pilgrim is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,515
    Interesting point, Pergy. I have been on a forum where those views were propounded even more aggresively than here. I have marveled at the fact that those doing the most "teaching" on the subject of male headship and women not teaching or having authority over men were women who essentially anathematized all those daring to disagree with any aspect of their teaching!
    Chris
    Currently seeking a church--in transition
    One Pilgrims Progress |Twitter

    And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come. Luke 19:13

  4. #4
    Semper Fidelis's Avatar
    Semper Fidelis is offline. 2 Timothy 2:24-25
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    22,315
    Blog Entries
    1
    Well, one answer is that they don't own the board.
    Rich
    Ruling Elder, Licentiate, Under Care, Hope of Christ Church (PCA), Northern VA
    Student, New Geneva Theological Seminary

    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to build and promote your web site.
    SoliDeoGloria.com - A Community for Reformed Thought and Discussion

    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

  5. #5
    Pergamum's Avatar
    Pergamum is offline. Ordinary Guy (TM)
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    14,901
    Rich;

    Some would reply that the owners of the board have placed themselves under either the Bible or the WCF and need to be subservient to that.

    (I guess the Bible because if the board was only under the WCF then us baptists might not be welcome).

    Then they would argue that since this is the case, we must not allow women to exercise authority over a man by trying to teach us something through differing with our posts.



    .....Also, I guess they would say that the PB owners are meanies if they wield their power arbitrarily.
    Pergamum


    "If a commission by an earthly king is considered a honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?"
    -- David Livingstone

  6. #6
    Semper Fidelis's Avatar
    Semper Fidelis is offline. 2 Timothy 2:24-25
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    22,315
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pergamum View Post
    .....Also, I guess they would say that the PB owners are meanies if they wield their power arbitrarily.
    I've never heard that one before.
    Rich
    Ruling Elder, Licentiate, Under Care, Hope of Christ Church (PCA), Northern VA
    Student, New Geneva Theological Seminary

    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to build and promote your web site.
    SoliDeoGloria.com - A Community for Reformed Thought and Discussion

    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

  7. #7
    NaphtaliPress's Avatar
    NaphtaliPress is offline. Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    17,735
    Blog Entries
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pergamum View Post
    .....Also, I guess they would say that the PB owners are meanies if they wield their power arbitrarily.
    I've never heard that one before.
    Chris Coldwell, Lakewood Presbyterian Church (PCA), Dallas, Texas.
    • Naphtali Press: Presbyterian & Reformed Books
    • Westminster Letter Press
    The Confessional Presbyterian Journal
    The Blue Banner Archive
    Calvin in the Hands of the Philistines: Did Calvin Bowl on the Sabbath?
    The Regulative Principle: The Scriptures are the “only infallible rule of faith and practice, no rite or ceremony ought to have a place in the public worship of God, which is not warranted in Scripture, either by direct precept or example, or by good and sufficient inference” (Samuel Miller).
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Joining PB's Politics & Government Forum

  8. #8
    Pergamum's Avatar
    Pergamum is offline. Ordinary Guy (TM)
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    14,901
    Do we have a sarcasm smiley?
    Pergamum


    "If a commission by an earthly king is considered a honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?"
    -- David Livingstone

  9. #9
    larryjf's Avatar
    larryjf is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,204
    Blog Entries
    1
    The answer is quite simple:
    It's our duty as men to make sure that we don't learn anything from the women.

    (in case someone can't tell...it's a joke).
    Larry Bray
    Elder - Reformed Presbyterian Church of Boothwyn, PCA
    Boothwyn, PA - http://www.rpcb.org/
    Free Online Reformed Seminary - http://www.tnars.net
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Christian ritual costs nothing and is worth nothing. True Christian religion costs all that we have and is worth everything.

  10. #10
    Grace Alone's Avatar
    Grace Alone is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,020


    Janis
    Christ Church ARP, NC
    "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved." Eph. 1:3-6 ESV

  11. #11
    Pergamum's Avatar
    Pergamum is offline. Ordinary Guy (TM)
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    14,901
    I try every day not to learn anything from my wife - but then she breaks out the ol' frying Pan and tells me my lessons can come in two forms; smooth or lumpy.
    Pergamum


    "If a commission by an earthly king is considered a honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?"
    -- David Livingstone

  12. #12
    larryjf's Avatar
    larryjf is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,204
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pergamum View Post
    I try every day not to learn anything from my wife - but then she breaks out the ol' frying Pan and tells me my lessons can come in two forms; smooth or lumpy.
    I busted out laughing when i read that....hysterical!
    Larry Bray
    Elder - Reformed Presbyterian Church of Boothwyn, PCA
    Boothwyn, PA - http://www.rpcb.org/
    Free Online Reformed Seminary - http://www.tnars.net
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Christian ritual costs nothing and is worth nothing. True Christian religion costs all that we have and is worth everything.

  13. #13
    Semper Fidelis's Avatar
    Semper Fidelis is offline. 2 Timothy 2:24-25
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    22,315
    Blog Entries
    1
    Outside the pulpit and worship service, those that obsess over learning from women are not the type of people I want to learn from.
    Rich
    Ruling Elder, Licentiate, Under Care, Hope of Christ Church (PCA), Northern VA
    Student, New Geneva Theological Seminary

    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to build and promote your web site.
    SoliDeoGloria.com - A Community for Reformed Thought and Discussion

    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

  14. #14
    larryjf's Avatar
    larryjf is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,204
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis View Post
    Outside the pulpit and worship service, those that obsess over learning from women are not the type of people I want to learn from.
    Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. (1Ti 2:11-14)

    Since this passage references creation and the fall as a reason for women not teaching men (authoritative teaching)...why would it be limited to within the church?
    Larry Bray
    Elder - Reformed Presbyterian Church of Boothwyn, PCA
    Boothwyn, PA - http://www.rpcb.org/
    Free Online Reformed Seminary - http://www.tnars.net
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Christian ritual costs nothing and is worth nothing. True Christian religion costs all that we have and is worth everything.

  15. #15
    JOwen's Avatar
    JOwen is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,217
    My wife is one of my best teachers (love, patience, etc.). I think of Priscilla and Aquila and THEIR teaching of Apollo. Why is Priscilla mentioned in so many texts if she too was not a "teacher" or "leader" of a kind? There is official ecclesiastical teaching which women are barred from, and then there is regular, everyday life. I'm taught by men and women. Some women better than many men.
    Pastor Jerrold H. Lewis. (Dipl. IT; Assc. A; B.Th; M.Th Candidate, PRTS)
    Pompton Plains NJ, Free Reformed Church
    "A hot iron, though blunt, will pierce sooner than a cold one, though sharper."

    JOHN FLAVEL

    Free Reformed Church of Pompton Plains HERE
    The Puritans on Google+

  16. #16
    JohnGill's Avatar
    JohnGill is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Pergamum View Post
    I try every day not to learn anything from my wife - but then she breaks out the ol' frying Pan and tells me my lessons can come in two forms; smooth or lumpy.
    Not right Pergy! You shouldn't criticize your wife's mashed potatoes on a public forum.
    Chris Thomas | Grace Reformed Baptist Church | Bonham, TX

    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!
    So if ye destroy the Letter of the Scripture, you do destroy the Scripture; and if you do deny the Letter, how is it possible that you should attain to the true sense thereof, when the Sense lies wrapped up in the Letters, and the words thereof?
    Samuel Rutherford - A Free Disputation Against Pretended Liberty of Conscience
    Blog: The Biblical Thinker

  17. #17
    Semper Fidelis's Avatar
    Semper Fidelis is offline. 2 Timothy 2:24-25
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    22,315
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by larryjf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis View Post
    Outside the pulpit and worship service, those that obsess over learning from women are not the type of people I want to learn from.
    Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. (1Ti 2:11-14)

    Since this passage references creation and the fall as a reason for women not teaching men (authoritative teaching)...why would it be limited to within the church?
    Because this is the context that Paul delivers that small snippet from. I'm not interested in the argument in this thread. There are many absurdities that I could draw (and downright Scriptural contradictions) if we make this apply to every sphere of activity that a woman participates in but I will refrain.
    Rich
    Ruling Elder, Licentiate, Under Care, Hope of Christ Church (PCA), Northern VA
    Student, New Geneva Theological Seminary

    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to build and promote your web site.
    SoliDeoGloria.com - A Community for Reformed Thought and Discussion

    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

  18. #18
    larryjf's Avatar
    larryjf is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,204
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by JOwen View Post
    My wife is one of my best teachers (love, patience, etc.). I think of Priscilla and Aquila and THEIR teaching of Apollo. Why is Priscilla mentioned in so many texts if she too was not a "teacher" or "leader" of a kind? There is official ecclesiastical teaching which women are barred from, and then there is regular, everyday life. I'm taught by men and women. Some women better than many men.
    He began to speak boldly in the synagogue, but when Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him and explained to him the way of God more accurately. (Act 18:26)

    Why would we presume that when Priscilla and Aquila were teaching that she was the teacher in authority rather than her husband?
    Larry Bray
    Elder - Reformed Presbyterian Church of Boothwyn, PCA
    Boothwyn, PA - http://www.rpcb.org/
    Free Online Reformed Seminary - http://www.tnars.net
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Christian ritual costs nothing and is worth nothing. True Christian religion costs all that we have and is worth everything.

  19. #19
    JohnGill's Avatar
    JohnGill is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,094

    John Gill's Exposition & John Calvin's Commentary

    From Gill:

    1 Timothy 2:11

    Ver. 11. Let the woman learn in silence,.... The apostle goes on to give some other instructions to women, how they should behave themselves in public worship, in the church of God; he would have them be learners and not teachers, sit and hear, and learn more of Christ, and of the truth of the Gospel, and to maintain good works; and he would have them learn in silence, and not offer to rise and speak, under a pretence of having a word from the Lord, or of being under an impulse of the Spirit of the Lord, as some frantic women have done; and if they should meet with anything, under the ministry of the word, they did not understand, or they had an objection to, they were not to speak in public, but ask their own husbands at home; see 1Co 14:34. And thus, they were to behave

    with all subjection; both to the ministers of the word, and to their own husbands; obeying from the heart the form of doctrine delivered to them; and submitting cheerfully to the ordinances of Christ; the whole of which is a professed subjection to the Gospel, and which becomes all professing godliness.


    1 Timothy 2:12

    Ver. 12. But I suffer not a woman to teach, &c,] They may teach in private, in their own houses and families; they are to be teachers of good things, Tit 2:3. They are to bring up their children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord; nor is the law or doctrine of a mother to be forsaken, any more than the instruction of a father; see Pr 1:8. Timothy, no doubt, received much advantage, from the private teachings and instructions of his mother Eunice, and grandmother Lois; but then women are not to teach in the church; for that is an act of power and authority, and supposes the persons that teach to be of a superior degree, and in a superior office, and to have superior abilities to those who are taught by them:

    nor to usurp authority over the man; as not in civil and political things, or in things relating to civil government; and in things domestic, or the affairs of the family; so not in things ecclesiastical, or what relate to the church and government of it; for one part of rule is to feed the church with knowledge and understanding; and for a woman to take upon her to do this, is to usurp an authority over the man: this therefore she ought not to do,

    but to be in silence; to sit and hear quietly and silently, and learn, and not teach, as in 1Ti 2:11.


    1 Timothy 2:13

    Ver. 13. For Adam was first formed,.... Immediately by God, out of the dust of the earth; and the breath of life was breathed into him, and he became a living soul; thus wonderfully and fearfully was he made; after this he was put into the garden of Eden, to dress it, and all creatures were brought to him, to give them names; and still an help meet or a companion was not found for him. All this while Eve was not as yet formed, but after this,

    then Eve. She was formed out of him, was made out of one of his ribs; and was formed for him, for his use, service, help and comfort; and here lies the strength of the apostle's reason, why the woman should be in subjection to the man; not so much because he was made before her; for so were the beasts of the field before Adam; and yet this gave them no superiority to him; but because she was made out of him, and made for him, see 1Co 11:8. So that the woman's subjection to the man is according to the laws of nature and creation; and was antecedent to the fall; and would have been, if that had never been; though that brought her into a lower, and meaner, and more depressed estate; which the apostle next mentions. The words may be rendered, "the first Adam", or "Adam the first was formed, and then Eve". See 1Co 15:45.


    1 Timothy 2:14

    Ver. 14. And Adam was not deceived,.... There is no need to say with interpreters, that he was not deceived first; and that he was not deceived immediately by the serpent, but by Eve; and that he is never said in Scripture to be deceived, as Melchizedek is never said to have a father or mother. The apostle's positive assertion is to be taken without any such limitations or qualifications; Adam never was deceived at all; neither by the serpent, with whom he never conversed; nor by his wife, he knew what he did, when he took the fruit of her, and ate; he ate it not under any deception, or vain imagination, that they should not die, but should be as gods, knowing good and evil. He took and ate out of love to his wife, from a fond affection to her, to bear her company, and that she might not die alone; he knew what he did, and he knew what would be the consequence of it, the death of them both; and inasmuch as he sinned wilfully, and against light and knowledge, without any deception, his sin was the greater: and hereby death came in, and passed on all men, who sinned in him:

    but the woman being deceived was in the transgression: and the serpent really beguiled her; she owned it herself, Ge 3:13. And this is elsewhere said of her, 2Co 11:3 which never is of Adam. She really thought the serpent spoke truth, that she and her husband should not die, if they ate of the fruit; but that it was good to make them wise; and that, upon eating it, they should be as gods, knowing good and evil; and under this deception she fell into the transgression, and was the cause and means, by her persuasions and example, of bringing her husband into the same sin; which involved him and all his posterity in ruin and destruction. And therefore she is called by the Jews {p} Nweh Ma, "the mother of iniquity and sin"; to which they refer, Ps 51:5. And they say, {q} she was the cause of death to Adam, and to all the world: See Gill on "Ro 5:12". And they observe {r} the order of the punishment of the serpent, Eve, and Adam, as of their sin; the serpent was first accursed, then Eve, and last of all Adam. They say

    "{s} Samael (the devil) could not subvert Adam, till the serpent came and turned the heart of Eve, and Eve turned his heart, and they both sinned; wherefore it is said, "the woman which thou gavest me"; Samael had no power to turn him, till Eve came, and she was the cause of his eating.''

    Now inasmuch as the serpent did not attack Adam, he being the stronger and more knowing person, and less capable of being managed and seduced; but made his attempt on Eve, in which he succeeded; and since not Adam, but Eve, was deceived, it appears that the man is the more proper person to bear rule and authority, as in civil and domestic, so in ecclesiastic affairs; and it is right for the woman to learn, and the man to teach: and seeing that Eve was the cause of transgression to Adam, and of punishment to him and his posterity, the subjection of the woman to the man was confirmed afresh: and she was brought into a more depressed state of dependence on him, and subjection to him; see Ge 3:16. The Ethiopic version renders the text, "Adam hath not deceived, the woman hath deceived and prevaricated".

    {p} Tzeror Hammor, fol. 141. 3. {q} T. Hieros. Sabbat, fol. 5. 2. Zohar in Gcn. fol. 27. 3. Caphtor, fol. 37. 2. {r} T. Bab. Erubin, fol. 18. 1. & Taanith, fol. 15. 2. Bereshit Rabba, sect. 20. fol. 17. 1. {s} Midrash Ruth in Zohar in Gen. fol. 27. 3.

    From Calvin:

    11 Let a woman learn in quietness. After having spoken of dress, he now adds with what modesty women ought to conduct themselves in the holy assembly. And first he bids them learn quietly; for quietness means silence, that they may not take upon them to speak in public. This he immediately explains more clearly, by forbidding them to teach.

    12 But I suffer not a woman to teach. Not that he takes from them the charge of instructing their family, but only excludes them from the office of teaching, which God has committed to men only. On this subject we have explained our views in the exposition of the First Epistle to the Corinthians. If any one bring forward, by way of objection, Deborah (Judges 4:4) and others of the same class, of whom we read that they were at one time appointed by the command of God to govern the people, the answer is easy. Extraordinary acts done by God do not overturn the ordinary rules of government, by which he intended that we should be bound. Accordingly, if women at one time held the office of prophets and teachers, and that too when they were supernaturally called to it by the Spirit of God, He who is above all law might do this; but, being a peculiar case, this is not opposed to the constant and ordinary system of government.

    He adds — what is closely allied to the office of teaching — and not to assume authority over the man; for the very reason, why they are forbidden to teach, is, that it is not permitted by their condition. They are subject, and to teach implies the rank of power or authority. Yet it may be thought that there is no great force in this argument; because even prophets and teachers are subject to kings and to other magistrates. I reply, there is no absurdity in the same person commanding and likewise obeying, when viewed in different relations. But this does not apply to the case of woman, who by nature (that is, by the ordinary law of God) is formed to obey; for γυναικοκρατία (the government of women) has always been regarded by all wise persons as a monstrous thing; and, therefore, so to speak, it will be a mingling of heaven and earth, if women usurp the right to teach. Accordingly, he bids them be “quiet,” that is, keep within their own rank.

    13 For Adam was first created He assigns two reasons why women ought to be subject to men; because not only did God enact this law at the beginning, but he also inflicted it as a punishment on the woman. (Genesis 3:16.) He accordingly shews that, although mankind had stood in their first and original uprightness, the true order of nature, which proceeded from the command of God, bears that women shall be subject. Nor is this inconsistent with the fact, that Adam, by falling from his first dignity, deprived himself of his authority; for in the ruins, which followed sin, there still linger some remains of the divine blessing, and it was not proper that woman, by her own fault, should make her condition better than before. Yet the reason that Paul assigns, that woman was second in the order of creation, appears not to be a very strong argument in favor of her subjection; for John the Baptist was before Christ in the order of time, and yet was greatly inferior in rank. But although Paul does not state all the circumstances which are related by Moses, yet he intended that his readers should take them into consideration. Now Moses shews that the woman was created afterwards, in order that she might be a kind of appendage to the man; and that she was joined to the man on the express condition, that she should be at hand to render obedience to him. (Genesis 2:21.) Since, therefore, God did not create two chiefs of equal power, but added to the man an inferior aid, the Apostle justly reminds us of that order of creation in which the eternal and inviolable appointment of God is strikingly displayed.
    14 And Adam was not deceived He alludes to the punishment inflicted on the woman:

    “Because thou hast obeyed the voice of the serpent, thou shalt be subject to the authority of thy husband, and thy desire shall be to him.”
    Because she had given fatal advice, it was right that she should learn that she was under the power and will of another; and because she had drawn her husband aside from the command of God, it was right that she should be deprived of all liberty and placed under the yoke. Besides, the Apostle does not rest his argument entirely or absolutely on the cause of the transgression, but founds it on the sentence which was pronounced by God.

    Yet it may be thought that these two statements are somewhat contradictory: that the subjection of the woman is the punishment of her transgression, and yet that it was imposed on her from the creation; for thence it will follow, that she was doomed to servitude before she sinned. I reply, there is nothing to hinder that the condition of obeying should be natural from the beginning, and that afterwards the accidental condition of serving should come into existence; so that the subjection was now less voluntary and agreeable than it had formerly been.

    Again, this passage has given to some people an occasion for affirming that Adam did not fall by means of error, but that he was only overcome by the allurements of his wife. Accordingly, they think that the woman only was deceived by the wiles of the devil, to believe that she and her husband would be like the gods; But that Adam was not at all persuaded of this, but tasted the fruit in order to please his wife. But it is easy to refute this opinion; for, if Adam had not given credit to the falsehood of Satan, God would not have reproached him:
    “Behold, Adam is become like one of us.” (Genesis 3:22.)

    There are other reasons of which I say nothing; for there needs not a long refutation of an error which does not rest on any probable conjecture. By these words Paul does not mean that Adam was not entangled by the same deceitfulness of the devil, but that the cause or source of the transgression proceeded from Eve.
    Chris Thomas | Grace Reformed Baptist Church | Bonham, TX

    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!
    So if ye destroy the Letter of the Scripture, you do destroy the Scripture; and if you do deny the Letter, how is it possible that you should attain to the true sense thereof, when the Sense lies wrapped up in the Letters, and the words thereof?
    Samuel Rutherford - A Free Disputation Against Pretended Liberty of Conscience
    Blog: The Biblical Thinker

  20. #20
    satz is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,917
    Quote Originally Posted by larryjf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis View Post
    Outside the pulpit and worship service, those that obsess over learning from women are not the type of people I want to learn from.
    Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. (1Ti 2:11-14)

    Since this passage references creation and the fall as a reason for women not teaching men (authoritative teaching)...why would it be limited to within the church?
    The bare facts of what happened in creation and the fall do not logically imply anything for women living today. Rather, we are limited to God's revelation of what they mean.

    If God had not written the first half those verses but had only wrote "Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor", that wouldn't have any practical effect on what women can, or cannot do, without God telling us how that history should affect us today.

    In other words, when Paul references creation and the fall he does so to back up a specific point he is making, namely "Let a woman learn quietly..." etc. So the extent to which Paul's restriction of women's authority applies is understood by determining the context and application of 1 Tim 2:11-14, not from trying to second guess the implications of the fall beyond what Paul has specifically set out for us.
    Mark
    Independent baptist
    Singapore

  21. #21
    larryjf's Avatar
    larryjf is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,204
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by larryjf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis View Post
    Outside the pulpit and worship service, those that obsess over learning from women are not the type of people I want to learn from.
    Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. (1Ti 2:11-14)

    Since this passage references creation and the fall as a reason for women not teaching men (authoritative teaching)...why would it be limited to within the church?
    Because this is the context that Paul delivers that small snippet from. I'm not interested in the argument in this thread. There are many absurdities that I could draw (and downright Scriptural contradictions) if we make this apply to every sphere of activity that a woman participates in but I will refrain.
    If you are going to mention absurdities and contradictions i think that it would only be right to state what they are instead of refraining from them, yet not refraining from talking about them in general.

    Let's look at more of the context of the passage:
    I desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling; likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness--with good works. Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. Yet she will be saved through childbearing--if they continue in faith and love and holiness, with self-control. (1Ti 2:8-15)

    Men should pray in every place. Certainly that doesn't mean only in church. And certainly we aren't supposed to pray without anger or quarreling only in church.

    The it says "likewise... women..." so it seems to me it's still on the topic of all of life and not just church service. Otherwise, why would he speak of bearing children? certainly this passage has further implications than just within the walls of the church.
    Larry Bray
    Elder - Reformed Presbyterian Church of Boothwyn, PCA
    Boothwyn, PA - http://www.rpcb.org/
    Free Online Reformed Seminary - http://www.tnars.net
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Christian ritual costs nothing and is worth nothing. True Christian religion costs all that we have and is worth everything.

  22. #22
    Pergamum's Avatar
    Pergamum is offline. Ordinary Guy (TM)
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    14,901
    She is mentioned first; and they are always mentioned together. They appear to be a missionary team. It seems that they both spoke and talked to him about spiritual things and that he learned from both.
    Pergamum


    "If a commission by an earthly king is considered a honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?"
    -- David Livingstone

  23. #23
    larryjf's Avatar
    larryjf is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,204
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pergamum View Post
    She is mentioned first; and they are always mentioned together. They appear to be a missionary team. It seems that they both spoke and talked to him about spiritual things and that he learned from both.
    It goes back to teaching in authority, not simply teaching.
    Larry Bray
    Elder - Reformed Presbyterian Church of Boothwyn, PCA
    Boothwyn, PA - http://www.rpcb.org/
    Free Online Reformed Seminary - http://www.tnars.net
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Christian ritual costs nothing and is worth nothing. True Christian religion costs all that we have and is worth everything.

  24. #24
    Semper Fidelis's Avatar
    Semper Fidelis is offline. 2 Timothy 2:24-25
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    22,315
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by larryjf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by larryjf View Post

    Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. (1Ti 2:11-14)

    Since this passage references creation and the fall as a reason for women not teaching men (authoritative teaching)...why would it be limited to within the church?
    Because this is the context that Paul delivers that small snippet from. I'm not interested in the argument in this thread. There are many absurdities that I could draw (and downright Scriptural contradictions) if we make this apply to every sphere of activity that a woman participates in but I will refrain.
    If you are going to mention absurdities and contradictions i think that it would only be right to state what they are instead of refraining from them, yet not refraining from talking about them in general.
    I guess I'll just be not right and yet refrain. You've made your case. I disagree. We'll leave it at that. If you want to see my reasons then you're welcome to search the PB where I've interacted on this before but I'm not going to engage on yet another thread where every sphere of activity is flattened into one. I'm not arguing that a woman may have spiritual authority over another man within the Church and probably could have phrased what I stated better but the point is that some people are looking for any opportunity to fret when they might learn something from a woman. It certainly didn't freak out King Lemuel.
    Rich
    Ruling Elder, Licentiate, Under Care, Hope of Christ Church (PCA), Northern VA
    Student, New Geneva Theological Seminary

    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to build and promote your web site.
    SoliDeoGloria.com - A Community for Reformed Thought and Discussion

    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

  25. #25
    Pergamum's Avatar
    Pergamum is offline. Ordinary Guy (TM)
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    14,901
    So a woman can teach, as long as she is not in authority?
    Pergamum


    "If a commission by an earthly king is considered a honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?"
    -- David Livingstone

  26. #26
    Kenneth_Murphy's Avatar
    Kenneth_Murphy is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    205
    Notice no women have posted in this thread .... (looks both way) ... (goes back into hiding) ...
    Kenneth Murphy
    M.A.R. Student [Theology & Biblical Languages] - Whitefield Theological Seminary
    Covenant of Grace Church - Member
    St. Charles, MO

  27. #27
    larryjf's Avatar
    larryjf is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,204
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pergamum View Post
    So a woman can teach, as long as she is not in authority?
    yup
    Larry Bray
    Elder - Reformed Presbyterian Church of Boothwyn, PCA
    Boothwyn, PA - http://www.rpcb.org/
    Free Online Reformed Seminary - http://www.tnars.net
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Christian ritual costs nothing and is worth nothing. True Christian religion costs all that we have and is worth everything.

  28. #28
    Solus Christus's Avatar
    Solus Christus is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by Pergamum View Post
    Under the restrictive view of some, the command that women should keep silent in the church means a blanket command that a woman should never teach a man (even if not in ecclesiastical authority or in a church setting). If some hold to this view, why are there woman posters on the PB?
    Another thing to point out (actually, my wife pointed this one out ), is the PB isn't a church. So I'm not sure this can be applied here anyways.
    Ed Asano
    Member, Center Grove Presbyterian (PCA)
    Edwardsville, IL

    Lord, I am willing to --
    Receive what you give,
    Lack what you withhold,
    Relinquish what you take.

  29. #29
    Pergamum's Avatar
    Pergamum is offline. Ordinary Guy (TM)
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    14,901
    But if women are to refrain from all spheres of life whereby they teach men, then it does not matter that the PB is not a church, it is still in gross violation of Scripture if we grant this assumption. So, is ANY and EVERY conversation about a Bible with a woman.


    okay, im going for a walk and going to wrestle with my son........and listen to my wife's godly advice today and be taught by her example.
    Pergamum


    "If a commission by an earthly king is considered a honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?"
    -- David Livingstone

  30. #30
    TimV's Avatar
    TimV is offline. Puritanboard Botanist
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    8,198
    But if women are to refrain from all spheres of life whereby they teach men, then it does not matter that the PB is not a church, it is still in gross violation of Scripture if we grant this assumption. So, if ANY and EVERY conversation about a Bible with a woman.
    It's October already and this has been the biggest straw man I've seen all year. Going from two female evangalists in church planting activity teaching men the Gospel at the place of their ministry without any male supervision at all and comparing it to me asking the women at my church for advice with raising my 14 year old daughter
    Tim Vaughan
    Member, Redeemer Presbyterian, OPC,
    Santa Maria
    California

  31. #31
    Pergamum's Avatar
    Pergamum is offline. Ordinary Guy (TM)
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    14,901
    There is not "no male supervision at all", the leader is just in another city - they are sent by a team headed up by males and with the approval of a local church. They are in a private home and are merely answering questions from uninvited men who come in.


    I notice you said "comparing it to me asking the women at my church for advice with raising my 14 year old."
    How about advice how to be saved? Suppose you needed to know that? Or if you engaged in Scriptural dialogue?
    Pergamum


    "If a commission by an earthly king is considered a honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?"
    -- David Livingstone

  32. #32
    Galatians220's Avatar
    Galatians220 is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth_Murphy View Post
    Notice no women have posted in this thread .... (looks both way) ... (goes back into hiding) ...
    Not so, Mr. Murphy: look at No. 10... Janis is there. You are not escaping notice by the feminine contingent here, not by a long shot.

    We're waiting in the weeds, and when we strike, it's going to be with ecclesiastical-grade plutonium, for starters.

    Just joking!

    Those of us who are wives are supposed to be submissive to our own husbands (Ephesians 5:22; Colossians 3:18) and most of us make a game, unsnarky effort to do so... Even though it can be really, really hard!

    To address the substantive issue: this is informal. Most of us are sitting hundreds, if not thousands of miles away from each other, typing away. Where do we go if we want to discuss "things theological" with someone other than our husbands or our pastors? I like to bandy about ideas.

    That said, yes, I agree, I shouldn't be instructing men, or trying to and failing as can be expected. I would have no problem with being banned from certain forums on that Scriptural basis. We ladies have the tea room, after all. I only ask that the "thanks" button not be taken away, either that or my second-favorite feature here, the "delete post" one!

    "Galatians220" will rethink the idea of posting things that may be construed as an attempt to instruct men. (I'm grateful for this thread, too.)

    Fair enough?

    Margaret
    Margaret
    Associate member, Heritage Netherlands Reformed Church of Grand Rapids, MI


    I am not what I ought to be — ah, how imperfect and deficient! I am not what I wish to be — I abhor what is evil, and I would cleave to what is good! I am not what I hope to be — soon, soon shall I put off mortality, and with mortality all sin and imperfection. Yet, though I am not what I ought to be, nor what I wish to be, nor what I hope to be, I can truly say, I am not what I once was; a slave to sin and Satan; and I can heartily join with the apostle, and acknowledge, "By the grace of God I am what I am." - John Newton
    • As quoted in The Christian Pioneer (1856) edited by Joseph Foulkes Winks, p. 84.

  33. #33
    TimV's Avatar
    TimV is offline. Puritanboard Botanist
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    8,198
    "Galatians220" will rethink the idea of posting things that may be construed as an attempt to instruct men. (I'm grateful for this thread, too.)

    Fair enough?
    I wouldn't be happy with that, and even strict confessional churches have Bible studies where women can't teach, but can offer their input. It doesn't have to be all or none!
    Tim Vaughan
    Member, Redeemer Presbyterian, OPC,
    Santa Maria
    California

  34. #34
    Grace Alone's Avatar
    Grace Alone is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,020
    I will also attempt to continue witholding my vast storehouse of theological knowledge to be certain that I do not accidentally teach any men on here.
    Janis
    Christ Church ARP, NC
    "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved." Eph. 1:3-6 ESV

  35. #35
    Galatians220's Avatar
    Galatians220 is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Grace Alone View Post
    I will also attempt to continue witholding my vast storehouse of theological knowledge to be certain that I do not accidentally teach any men on here.


    That's the spirit I was hoping for!!!!

    (I find that I am often deemed most culpable for wrongdoing when I've embarked upon a particular enterprise "with only the best of intentions..." C'est la vie. )

    Margaret
    Margaret
    Associate member, Heritage Netherlands Reformed Church of Grand Rapids, MI


    I am not what I ought to be — ah, how imperfect and deficient! I am not what I wish to be — I abhor what is evil, and I would cleave to what is good! I am not what I hope to be — soon, soon shall I put off mortality, and with mortality all sin and imperfection. Yet, though I am not what I ought to be, nor what I wish to be, nor what I hope to be, I can truly say, I am not what I once was; a slave to sin and Satan; and I can heartily join with the apostle, and acknowledge, "By the grace of God I am what I am." - John Newton
    • As quoted in The Christian Pioneer (1856) edited by Joseph Foulkes Winks, p. 84.

  36. #36
    staythecourse's Avatar
    staythecourse is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,890
    This is a useful post. I am currently, even today, wanting to walk out from work as I work under women and feel the strain. Younger women and older. It's a pharmaceutical company. This is very apropos for my situation. How do you men handle working under women, those of you that do? Does it affect your masculinity and does it affect their femininity? Which I think is Paul's point in his going back to creation. What about working with unsaved women?

    Too broad a question for the thread?
    Bryan Wiley
    Layman
    Reformed Baptist Church
    Louisville, Kentucky

    "Seek the Kingdom of God first."

  37. #37
    TimV's Avatar
    TimV is offline. Puritanboard Botanist
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    8,198
    Bryan, you just can't go there with the principles involved. Religious teaching and authority are under discussion, and that's about it. Down through the years there have been a couple blasts of the trumpet about women in positions of civil leadership, and I haven't seen anything written by confessional Reformed folk here in favor of women evangelists, even when grace would seeminly abound, but the Proverbs 31 lady did real estate, and started a vineyard. And anyone who knows the first thing about the agricultural aspect of that endeavor knows for a fact that the Proverbs 31 gal had guys doing at least some of the work under her authority.

    In those situations you pretty much have to do what she says or look for different work.
    Tim Vaughan
    Member, Redeemer Presbyterian, OPC,
    Santa Maria
    California

  38. #38
    Grymir's Avatar
    Grymir is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,250
    Can I tell the owner of my business that I'm in authority over her because she's a woman? I wish.

    I should add that she pays me to act like I own the place, so I'm lucky!

    Galatians 220 quote - "We're waiting in the weeds, and when we strike, it's going to be with ecclesiastical-grade plutonium, for starters."

    I love the ecclesiastical-grade plutonium statement, but if I use it, would that constitute me learning from a woman??? I really like it, but the moral dilemma that surrounds this concept is to much for a mere mortal man to bear.

    Just kidding on all, just in case anybody wonders otherwise, except the stuff about the owner of my business.
    Timothy Johnson
    First United Presbyterian of Moline
    PCUSA (Yea, I know)
    Theology/Philosophy Sunday School Teacher
    Davenport, IA

  39. #39
    N. Eshelman's Avatar
    N. Eshelman is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Grymir View Post
    Can I tell the owner of my business that I'm in authority over her because she's a woman? I wish.

    I should add that she pays me to act like I own the place, so I'm lucky!

    Just kidding on all, just in case anybody wonders otherwise, except the stuff about the owner of my business.
    Does your wife own the business?

  40. #40
    DMcFadden's Avatar
    DMcFadden is offline. Meum cerebrum nocet
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    9,753
    Quote Originally Posted by Pergamum View Post
    Under the restrictive view of some, the command that women should keep silent in the church means a blanket command that a woman should never teach a man (even if not in ecclesiastical authority or in a church setting). If some hold to this view, why are there woman posters on the PB?

    You know, they might teach a man something on here?

    Should we move to restrict women posters to only hitting the Thanks key or posting Amen?




    Or....

    Are men and women able to mutually bless each other by theological conversation? If they disagree, should a woman ever then argue for her point?


    Pergy,

    Has anyone ever pointed out to you that you have the spirit of a mischief-making little demon? You must have a LOT of spare time today to get this dustup started.

    Oops. I better get back to differentiating whether I want "my lessons" to "come . . . smooth or lumpy." Afterall, I have more degrees than my wife . . . however, with only three of them being theological degrees, I am still one behind her.

    Despite being true, the complementarian interpretation of 1 Tim 2 is not without its intrinsic anomalies and problems. However, taking the implications beyond the original intention of the divine author in the context of a rampantly egalitarian culture is a suicide mission!

    If I read Gen 3 correctly, a woman NEEDS to submit to her husband (Eph 5) precisely BECAUSE she is cursed with "desire" (תְּשׁוּקָה téshuqah, “desire”) for her husband's position. Similarly, a man NEEDS to love his wife "as Christ loved the Church" precisely BECAUSE he is cursed with a sinful proneness to "rule over" (יִמְשָׁל־בָּֽךְ) her.
    Dennis E. McFadden, Ex Mainline Baptist (in Remission)
    Atherton Baptist Homes, Alhambra, CA, President/CEO
    Emmanuel Lutheran Church, LCMS

    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72