See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

General discussions discuss Who is your favorite Arminian preacher/teacher in the General Forums forums; Come on admit it, we all have them. You know what I mean, those books which are stashed in the bottom shelf or perhaps behind ...

Jon 316 is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Blog Entries

Who is your favorite Arminian preacher/teacher

Come on admit it, we all have them. You know what I mean, those books which are stashed in the bottom shelf or perhaps behind your Berkhof and Institutes.

Perhaps I am just revealing my unreformed areas of my life, but I happen to enjoy the works of... (In no particular order)

A.W Tozer
    Andrew Murray
    John Wesley
    Watchman Nee
    R.A Torrey
    David Pawson
    Leonard Ravenhill
    David Wilkerson

Honest I am a Calvinist...I really am...
    "A dog barks when his master is attacked. I would be a coward if I saw that God's truth is attacked and yet would remain silent." John Calvin

John from Scotland
    Denomination: Attending Baptist church
    Confessional Subscription:London Baptist Confession
    Blog: [url]www.three-streams.co.uk[/url]

uberkermit is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    For me, it would have to be John R. Rice. He wrote a tract that the Lord graciously used in order to convert me. Someone had thrown it out in a landfill site where I worked, I picked it up, and not long after was a believer.

edit::

I would add that though the Lord used this man in my conversion, I do not follow any of his teaching or preaching materials today. He was very much an anti-Calvinist, as evidenced by some materials he published on the subject. That said, it matters not so much to me who the Lord used as an instrument in my salvation, but that he did it in the first place.
    Last edited by uberkermit; 02-19-2009 at 06:31 PM.
    Rob
    Ruling Elder, New Creation RPC
    Kitchener, ON

Scott1 is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Your point is well taken. There are many brothers and sisters in Christ who believe or assume Arminian influenced theology.

However, I'm reflecting on whether we ought laud or disparage men so much with polls. We do, in the reformed theology, follow God, trying not to be undue followers of men or teachers, i.e. "respecters of persons."

A couple of the people on your list, such as Mr Nee, have some very serious doctrine and legacy error, and might not be rightly grouped together with others.

Those are problems with popularity "lists."
    Scott
    PCA
    North Carolina

Post Tenebras Lux; "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away." - Revelation 21:4

Marrow Man is offline. Drunk with Powder
    You didn't mention Billy Graham...

Tim Phillips
    Pastor, Midlane Park Presbyterian Church (ARP)
    Louisville, KY
    Husband of Scottish Lass
    Father of Grace Cameron Phillips
    My Blog: Gairney Bridge
    My Facebook/My Avatar

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by uberkermit View Post
    For me, it would have to be John R. Rice. He wrote a tract that the Lord graciously used in order to convert me. Someone had thrown it out in a landfill site where I worked, I picked it up, and not long after was a believer.
    Man, I have a book of his called 'the soul winners fire'.
    "A dog barks when his master is attacked. I would be a coward if I saw that God's truth is attacked and yet would remain silent." John Calvin

John from Scotland

TaylorOtwell is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    I really have a hard time benefiting from that type of preaching anymore. I used to be into almost all of the teachers you listed, but they all share the Keswick/"Higher Life" mentality of the Christian life, instead one that is more rooted in Word and Sacrament. Personally, I have spent a lot of time recovering from their teaching, by God's grace.
    Taylor W. Otwell
    Covenant Presbyterian Church (PCA), Little Rock, AR

John Frame once wrote that he rather sit under the preaching of a good Arminian than a bad Calvinist!
    Tim Phillips
    Louisville, KY
    Husband of Scottish Lass
    My Facebook/My Avatar

shackleton is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by uberkermit View Post
    WOW! I guess that is what you would call providence.
    Erick Bohndorf, Risen Savior, Lutheran
    http://qayaqtraveler.blogspot.com/

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...90&ref=profile
    Here is what I have seen to be good and fitting: to eat, to drink and enjoy oneself in all one’s labor in which he toils under the sun during the few years of his life which God has given him; for this is his reward. Ecclesiastes

MrMerlin777 is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    I kinda like Oswald Chambers. I've found his My Utmost for His Highest useful in years past. I don't think he was Calvinistic.
    Donald Jacobs
    Roanoke VA.
    Covenant Reformed Episcopal Church.

Cum vero infirmor tunc potens sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrow Man View Post
    John Frame once wrote that he rather sit under the preaching of a good Arminian than a bad Calvinist!
    I'm not sure I understand that statement. I assume he is talking about the level of passion? As in a fiery Arminian vs. a cold Calvinist.

If so, it seems to me like they are saying they would rather hear passionate, bad theology rather than "cold", orthodox theology. It doesn't matter how fiery the preaching is, Arminianism is a ditch.
    Taylor W. Otwell

Hamalas is offline. whippersnapper
    Blog Entries
    C.S. Lewis, hands down!
    Ben Franks

I'm a member of Heartland Community Church (PCA) in Wichita, Kansas.
    I'm currently a student at Whitefield College majoring in Christian Classical Education.
    Starting in August of 2014 I'll be a student worker/pastoral intern for a year with Sheffield Presbyterian Church in England
    I'm hoping to attend PRTS in the fall of 2016 and then pursue the Gospel Ministry either in the US or the UK.

To follow my year in England click on the links below:
    http://spcinternship.wordpress.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Engla...22600707793421

"Remember, it is not hasty reading, but serious meditating upon holy and heavenly truths, that make them prove sweet and profitable to the soul...It is not he that reads most , but he that meditates most, that will prove the choicest, sweetest, wisest and strongest Christian." - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)

Blog Entries
    heh folks,
    However, I'm reflecting on whether we ought laud or disparage men so much with polls. We do, in the reformed theology, follow God, trying not to be undue followers of men or teachers, i.e. "respecters of persons."
    You didn't mention Billy Graham...

my list was not exaustive.. just some of the guys I like. The key question was who do people like.

A couple of the people on your list, such as Mr Nee, have some very serious doctrine and legacy error, and might not be rightly grouped together with others.
    I havnt lumped them together for any other reason than 1) they are all arminian 2) I like some of their teaching.

I really have a hard time benefiting from that type of preaching anymore. I used to be into almost all of the teachers you listed, but they all share the Keswick/"Higher Life" mentality of the Christian life, instead one that is more rooted in Word and Sacrament. I personally have spent a lot of time recovering from their teaching, by God's grace.
    There are dangers in some of these guys teachings, however potentially you could say that about all arminian theology since ultimately it will put some burden of justiufication or sanctification upon the believer??

John from Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorOtwell View Post
    I'm not sure I understand that statement. I assume he is talking about the level of passion? As in a fiery Arminian vs. a cold Calvinist.

If so, it seems to me like they are saying they would rather hear passionate, bad theology rather than "cold", orthodox theology. It doesn't matter how fiery the preaching is, Arminianism is a ditch.
    He meant it in the sense that much of Arminian preaching is not "doctrinal" preaching, per se. That is, good Arminian preachers don't make it a point to specifically get on an Arminian hobby horse and preach that way. Many are faithful to the specific text they are preaching on, and their faulty soteriology does not necessarily get in the way.
    Tim Phillips
    Louisville, KY
    Husband of Scottish Lass
    My Facebook/My Avatar

1 member(s) found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon 316 View Post
    There are dangers in some of these guys teachings, however potentially you could say that about all arminian theology since ultimately it will put some burden of justiufication or sanctification upon the believer??
    Yes, I would say that about all Arminian theology.
    Taylor W. Otwell

PresbyDane is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Jon316 with these kind of threads you have me you.
    Martin - Reformed
    Husband to the most godly, honorable and loyal wife Line
    Father of Josva David and Aron Hoseas
    Skive Bykirke - evangelisk luthersk frimenighed
    Webpage www.5solas.dk
    Free Online Reformed Seminary - http://www.tnars.net
    Soli Deo Gloria

Zenas is offline. Snow Miser
    C.S. Lewis
    The following users found this post helpful:

Andrew
    Member, Independent Presbyterian Church (PCA)

C. Matthew McMahon is offline. Owner and Administrator
    I'd just go right for the root. If I have to choose listening to someone mess up the Gospel - I'd just simply go with the Devil.

The Devil is the best Arminian preacher. He's been MOST used by God.
    C. Matthew McMahon, Ph.D., Th.D.
    John 5:39, "...search the Scriptures..."

A PURITAN'S MIND website is growing!
    www.apuritansmind.com
    Puritan and Reformed eBooks and digital downloads at the PURITAN SHOP www.puritanshop.com
    Minister - Christ Presbyterian Church

Blog Entries
    Yes, I would say that about all Arminian theology.
    While this is true, to a point. It does not change the fact that many arminians have been deeply used of God. Many of their works are rich and insightful. etc etc

-----Added 2/19/2009 at 06:25:59 EST-----

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Marsh View Post
    Jon316 with these kind of threads you have me you.
    lol whatever do you mean?

John from Scotland

ManleyBeasley is offline. Inactive User

I think this is being defined a little too much as a dichotomy when it is more like a continuum. Especially in reference to the 20th century there are many preachers (including some mentioned on this thread) who would not agree with Calvinism in an abstract sense but taught Calvinistically in much of their practical teaching. This may have been contradiction in them but it still meant they could be godly and actually teach some true doctrine.

On that basis I have benefited from

1. CS Lewis
    2. Paris Reidhead
    3. Leonard Ravenhill
    4. A.W. Tozer
    [B]Manley Beasley[/B]
    Southern Baptist Convention
    Fayetteville, Arkansas

[B]Wir sein pettler. Hoc est verum (We are beggars. This is true.).--Luther's dying words[/B]

Jimmy the Greek is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    I would have to list C.S. Lewis and A. W. Tozer.
    Jim
    1689 LBCF
    Independent Bible Church
    North Texas, USA

LeeJUk is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Leonard Ravenhill no competition.

I really like Tozer too but dunno ravenhill's preaching was a bit more fired up and Tozer's mysticism angle I can't agree with.

Though if I remember correctly reading Paris reidhead's website he is leaning towards Calvinism but I dont think he taught it much and Leonard Ravenhill, he wasn't a Calvinist but I heard him preach for a few minutes on the fact that it is God's action that saved you before you chose him.
    Lee Johnston
    Church of Scotland
    B.D. Theology @ University of Glasgow

Hamalas is offline. whippersnapper
    Blog Entries
    I think this is being defined a little too much as a dichotomy when it is more like a continuum. Especially in reference to the 20th century there are many preachers (including some mentioned on this thread) who would not agree with Calvinism in an abstract sense but taught Calvinistically in much of their practical teaching. This may have been contradiction in them but it still meant they could be godly and actually teach some true doctrine.
    Ben Franks

I'm a member of Heartland Community Church (PCA) in Wichita, Kansas.
    I'm currently a student at Whitefield College majoring in Christian Classical Education.
    Starting in August of 2014 I'll be a student worker/pastoral intern for a year with Sheffield Presbyterian Church in England
    I'm hoping to attend PRTS in the fall of 2016 and then pursue the Gospel Ministry either in the US or the UK.

To follow my year in England click on the links below:
    http://spcinternship.wordpress.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Engla...22600707793421

"Remember, it is not hasty reading, but serious meditating upon holy and heavenly truths, that make them prove sweet and profitable to the soul...It is not he that reads most , but he that meditates most, that will prove the choicest, sweetest, wisest and strongest Christian." - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)

Blog Entries
    Lee!

fellow renfrewshireite

-----Added 2/19/2009 at 06:33:07 EST-----

Quote Originally Posted by Hamalas View Post

John from Scotland

CatechumenPatrick is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Arminius, Oden, Wesley, Miley, Burt are often helpful.
    Patrick
    Faith (OPC), Lincoln, NE. Formerly, Covenant (OPC), Brighton, MI
    Collected Philosophy and Apologetics Audio/Video Links

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CatechumenPatrick View Post
    hmm I only really know about Wesley. though I'm assuming Arminius is THEE arminius... I never thought of actually reading his stuff hmmm food for thought.

John from Scotland

PresbyDane is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    C.S. Lewis
    Martin - Reformed
    Husband to the most godly, honorable and loyal wife Line
    Father of Josva David and Aron Hoseas
    Skive Bykirke - evangelisk luthersk frimenighed
    Webpage www.5solas.dk
    Free Online Reformed Seminary - http://www.tnars.net
    Soli Deo Gloria

Theognome is offline. Burrito Bill
    Hank Hanegraff is pretty hilarious.

theognome
    Bill Cunningham
    Covenant Reformed Church, URC
    Kansas City
    There are three kinds of people- those who can count, and those who can't.

moral necessity is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Yeah, Arminius really seems like a likable guy, from what I've read of him. He was mainly trying to be true to his understanding before the Lord with what scripture said, and seemed very sincere and loving towards those that differed. He just didn't want to sign off on a theology that he thought took excessive straining to deduce from scripture. I have his 3-volume set of works, and enjoy reading his perspective at times, even though I disagree with his conclusions. So, he gets my vote.
    Charles Plauger
    Grace Reformed Church
    Woodstock, VA

Hippo is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    H A Ironside

I love this guys teaching, the way he rips into the Holiness movement and the concept of Christian perfection is still thrilling to me.

I was very saddened to see how he attempted to undermine Pink's preaching whne I read Pink's biography.
    Mike
    Free Church of Scotland
    England

"Surely, we wish to be orthodox, but we must first learn what real orthodoxy is. Surely, we wish to be progressive, but we must first have a basis to progress from."

CatechumenPatrick is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    hmm I only really know about Wesley. though I'm assuming Arminius is THEE arminius... I never thought of actually reading his stuff hmmm food for thought.
    William Pope Burt's Compendium of Christian Theology: Here

John Miley's Systematic isn't online, and though it is hard to find, it is probably the best Arminian systematic. (Thomas) Oden is a "post-conservative" arminian theologian. He is one of the better arminian scholars writing today. Once and a while I'll check ebay for cheap usd copies of their books.
    For some reason many of the classic works in arminian theology have not been reprinted and are rare, if not impossible except in select libraries, to obtain. I've alwayed wondered whether arminian theologians (or theologically adept lay-people) worry at the ever-rising increase in Reformed reprints (on top of the thousands of works we already have easy access to), compared to the huge lack of arminian theologial works avaliable.
    Patrick
    Faith (OPC), Lincoln, NE. Formerly, Covenant (OPC), Brighton, MI
    Collected Philosophy and Apologetics Audio/Video Links

PastorTim is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMerlin777 View Post
    I kinda like Oswald Chambers. I've found his My Utmost for His Highest useful in years past. I don't think he was Calvinistic.
    I thought he was in same genre as Spurgeon? No?
    Rev. Timothy P. Cotton
    Pastor, Truth and Way Ministries
    Culpeper, VA

Hippo is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    William Pope Burt's Compendium of Christian Theology: Here

John Miley's Systematic isn't online, and though it is hard to find, it is probably the best Arminian systematic. (Thomas) Oden is a "post-conservative" arminian theologian. He is one of the better arminian scholars writing today. Once and a while I'll check ebay for cheap usd copies of their books.
    For some reason many of the classic works in arminian theology have not been reprinted and are rare, if not impossible except in select libraries, to obtain. I've alwayed wondered whether arminian theologians (or theologically adept lay-people) worry at the ever-rising increase in Reformed reprints (on top of the thousands of works we already have easy access to), compared to the huge lack of arminian theologial works avaliable.
    "Miley’s Systematic Theology" is clearly directly and strongly written; it is characterized by candor, restraint, and modesty; it is orderly in arrangement and lucid in discussion. It is altogether a good book, which the Arminian should find satisfying, and the Calvinist should count it a privilege to join issue.
    —B. B. Warfield

Systematic Theology by John Miley (2 Vols.) [DOWNLOAD]

Systematic Theology, 3 Volumes - By: Thomas C. Oden - Christianbook.com $42 for the three volume systematic theology
    Mike
    Free Church of Scotland
    England

"Surely, we wish to be orthodox, but we must first learn what real orthodoxy is. Surely, we wish to be progressive, but we must first have a basis to progress from."

No Longer A Libertine is offline. Inactive User
    Charles Wesley's hymns were usually better than his brother's sermons.
    :detective:
    Travis Speegle
    Redeemer Presbyterian, PCA (Waco, Tx)
    Pacific Cross Roads, PCA (Los Angeles, CA)

"When it comes to trustworthy theologians one can usually honor the rule of thumb that the deader the better."-Dr. John Hannah, DTS (of all places)

steven-nemes is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamalas View Post
    C.S. Lewis, hands down!
    Steven Nemes
    Phoenix, AZ

Good philosophy must exist, if for no other reason, because bad philosophy must be answered - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by No Longer A Libertine View Post
    Charles Wesley's hymns were usually better than his brother's sermons.
    Agreed! "And Can It Be" is about as Calvinistic as they come!
    Tim Phillips
    Louisville, KY
    Husband of Scottish Lass
    My Facebook/My Avatar

discipulo is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeJUk View Post
    Leonard Ravenhill no competition.

I really like Tozer too but dunno ravenhill's preaching was a bit more fired up and Tozer's mysticism angle I can't agree with.

Though if I remember correctly reading Paris reidhead's website he is leaning towards Calvinism but I dont think he taught it much and Leonard Ravenhill, he wasn't a Calvinist but I heard him preach for a few minutes on the fact that it is God's action that saved you before you chose him.
    Interesting David Wilkerson mentions that Ravenhill introduced him to the Puritans.

For me

C. S. Lewis

A W Tozer (in a Bibliography about God’s Attributes Joel Beeke recommends Tozer’s Knowledge of the Holy, how about that? Must say that he is at the bottom of a long list with Charnock on the top).

Roy Hession

Andrew Murray (I am pretty convinced he was a Calvinist, probably not a Cessationist though)

Jessie Pen-Lewis
    César Proença

there is no will nor running by which we can prepare the way for our salvation, it is wholly of the Divine Mercy Jean Calvin Institutes II . V. 17

Reformed Churches in The Netherlands (liberated) http://www.gkv.nl/main.asp?intTreeviewID=954

Igreja Reformada em Massamá Portugal http://www.igrejareformada.pt

Church Creek Presbyterian, PCA, Charleston, SC. Visiting member http://www.church-creek.org

jogri17 is offline. Puritanboard Junior

ahh young calvinists... I think everybody knows the rules: gotta luck him up for 3 years

-----Added 2/19/2009 at 08:20:09 EST-----

Quote Originally Posted by C. Matthew McMahon View Post
    I'd just go right for the root. If I have to choose listening to someone mess up the Gospel - I'd just simply go with the Devil.

The Devil is the best Arminian preacher. He's been MOST used by God.
    The devil is pelegian. arminianism can still preach the Gospel even though they get the theology behind the gospel wrong.
    Joseph Grigoletti
    Presbyterian Church of America
    Bellingham, WA

reformed trucker is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    C.S. Lewis
    A.W. Tozer
    E.M. Bounds

To name a few. Still haven't thrown out any of my "pre-calvinism" books...but haven't
    read any lately. Too much other good stuff in the library.
    Michael Tremmel
    attending Christ Reformed Baptist Church
    Hales Corners, WI.

Isaiah 46:5-11

I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Ps.16:8 ESV

But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. 1 Cor.15:10a ESV

Praecepta docent, exempla movent (precepts teach, but examples move)

Rich Koster is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Blog Entries
    Gene Scott
    Rich Koster
    Browns Mills NJ USA
    Member of Covenant Baptist, Lumberton NJ (1689ers)
    http://cbclumberton.wordpress.com/

Thankful that I'm not saved by merit badges
    Romans 7:14-25

Roldan is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    RICK WARREN AND JOEL OSTEEN hands down.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..Im just playing mannnnnn lol
    Richard W. Roldan "Ricky"
    Member and Teacher of Iglesia Presbiteriana Reformada Berea (PCA)
    Winter Haven, FL./ Under Care of the Southwest Presb.(PCA)

http://urbanreformed.com

" I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel," Paul

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast