General discussions discuss What type of furnace should I buy? in the General Forums forums; I bought my house about 6 years ago, which means my furnace is now about 26yr old. Everyone that has cleaned it says that it ...

OPC'n is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries

What type of furnace should I buy?

I bought my house about 6 years ago, which means my furnace is now about 26yr old. Everyone that has cleaned it says that it was made on a Tuesday, meaning it was put together VERY well. I'm reluctant to buy a new since mine has served me so well. However, at times when we go outside we can smell gas. The utility man stated that was from my furnace not coming on right away and that at some point in the near future I would need to get a new one.

I've never bought a furnace and there are so many types even within the same name brand. Anyone have any good experience in buying one and it serving them well?
    sarah
    providence (Only Perfect Church)
    wi coldest snowiest state in the union

w
    w is offline. Inactive User
    Stay with gas and do not get talked into a heat pump.
    w

Jimmy the Greek is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    I believe the WCF would allow only a potbellied stove.

P.S. Not to be blunt, but, if coming to the PB is your best option for that question, I think you are in trouble.
    Last edited by Jimmy the Greek; 01-12-2009 at 11:23 AM.
    Jim
    1689 LBCF
    Independent Bible Church
    North Texas, USA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomarus View Post
    I believe the WCF would allow only a potbellied stove.

P.S. Not to be blunt, but, if coming to the PB is your best option for that question, I think you are in trouble.
    Maybe, but perhaps there are some people here who just bought one not long ago and are very happy with it or maybe they bought one that they would advice I not get. I think most people here are trustworthy and since they are not the ones trying to make a profit from me then I believe I could get an unbiased opinion. Whereas, those who sell them....well, not so much! Besides, I've seen similar questions posed here at PB...I don't find my question extraordinary.
    sarah

Theognome is offline. Burrito Bill
    Have you considered repairing your existing furnace? An igniter problem is usually not very expensive to fix.

If replacement becomes in order, the Trane XC95 is a good machine.

Theognome
    Bill Cunningham
    Covenant Reformed Church, URC
    Kansas City
    There are three kinds of people- those who can count, and those who can't.

toddpedlar is offline. Iron Dramatist
    We have a Rheem Classic 90+, which is less expensive (and somewhat less efficient) than the model Bill mentioned from Trane. I would without any hesitation say you really, really should replace your furnace. At best, I suspect you might be getting 70% efficiency out of a 25+ year old furnace, and it's very likely to be way beyond its expected life. You'll immediately save a great deal on fuel costs that should pay for the expense of replacing the furnace within a very short time (order only a few years), plus you'll have a furnace that lasts beyond 2010.
    Todd K. Pedlar
    member, First Congregational Church, (CCCC) Cresco, IA
    My Blog: In Principio Deus
    24/7 Reformed Internet Radio: Sola5 Radio

"As God did not at first choose you because you were high, He will not now forsake you because you are low."
    John Flavel in Keeping the Heart

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Joining PB's Politics & Government Forum

Blog Entries
    They told me it would be too costly to repair...not sure if they just want to sell me a new one or not...hard to tell since I know nothing about that sort of thing. Thanks for the recommendation!

-----Added 1/12/2009 at 05:58:48 EST-----

Thanks Todd!
    sarah

Theognome is offline. Burrito Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by toddpedlar View Post
    We have a Rheem Classic 90+, which is less expensive (and somewhat less efficient) than the model Bill mentioned from Trane. I would without any hesitation say you really, really should replace your furnace. At best, I suspect you might be getting 70% efficiency out of a 25+ year old furnace, and it's very likely to be way beyond its expected life. You'll immediately save a great deal on fuel costs that should pay for the expense of replacing the furnace within a very short time (order only a few years), plus you'll have a furnace that lasts beyond 2010.
    A factor in replacement vs repair is the length of time of projected ownership. If she plans to continue owning the house for five years or more, then replacing is the best option. However, if she's planning to sell in the next few years, repair may be much more economical, particularly since a new furnace may not have significant impact on the resale price.

Theognome
    Bill Cunningham
    Covenant Reformed Church, URC
    Kansas City
    There are three kinds of people- those who can count, and those who can't.

Rich Koster is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if you are referring to forced hot air or a boiler. I replaced a dinosaur boiler with a high efficiency Smith and it has worked flawlessly.
    I also put in an on demand gas hot water heater (Bosch) and it cut my warm weather hot water bills by about 30/mo. If you tack on a $300 fed tax credit, it pays for itself in 2 years or less.
    Rich Koster
    Browns Mills NJ USA
    Member of Covenant Baptist, Lumberton NJ (1689ers)
    http://cbclumberton.wordpress.com/

Thankful that I'm not saved by merit badges
    Romans 7:14-25

Blog Entries
    Can I choose between the two? Right now I have forced hot air. Is Smith the brand name like Carrier? Good idea about the water heater! I really have no idea how old that thing is...looks old tho!
    sarah

Galatians220 is offline. Inactive User
    We have an 11-year-old J****. It has never worked very well. It's starting to go and the furnace repair guy, who's become a fixture in our house due to the temperatures here this winter, has advised us to replace our present one with an American Standard. If it matters, we have a 36-year-old, two-story house that this man says an American Standard furnace will serve very well.

Margaret
    Margaret

Scottish Lass is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Definitely no heat pump if you have more than a week or so of nights below freezing (which, based on your sig, you have more, but it's a rule of thumb for everybody else reading, too).
    Anna
    Wife of Tim/Marrow Man
    Mother of Grace Cameron
    Louisville, KY
    Member of Midlane Park Presbyterian (Associate Reformed Presbyterian)

He who does not hate the false does not love the true ~ Spurgeon

Updates on Gracie: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/gracephillips2010

Rich Koster is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sjonee View Post
    Can I choose between the two? Right now I have forced hot air. Is Smith the brand name like Carrier? Good idea about the water heater! I really have no idea how old that thing is...looks old tho!
    Smith is a brand name for boilers. It was recommended to my by a boilerman who holds a black seal license who is also my friend & Christian brother.

If you have forced hot air, there is duct work in place. Stick with what you have. A boiler would require installing baseboard elements or radiators. This would jack the cost way up even if it was a DIY project.
    Rich Koster
    Browns Mills NJ USA
    Member of Covenant Baptist, Lumberton NJ (1689ers)
    http://cbclumberton.wordpress.com/

Thankful that I'm not saved by merit badges
    Romans 7:14-25

bookslover is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Quote Originally Posted by Galatians220 View Post
    We have an 11-year-old J****. It has never worked very well. It's starting to go and the furnace repair guy, who's become a fixture in our house due to the temperatures here this winter, has advised us to replace our present one with an American Standard. If it matters, we have a 36-year-old, two-story house that this man says an American Standard furnace will serve very well.

Margaret
    No, you should get the NEW American Standard heater, or even the new English Standard Version of heater...
    Richard Zuelch
    Westminster Presbyterian Church (OPC), Westminster, CA
    www.reiterations.wordpress.com

I, I am He who blots out your transgressions for My own sake, and I will not remember your sins. (Isaiah 43.25)

Zeno333 is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by bookslover View Post

Margaret
    No, you should get the NEW American Standard heater, or even the new English Standard Version of heater...
    The 1599 Geneva Heater....not that was a heater!! Great for those cold Swiss nights
    Roy
    PCA
    Orlando, Florida

Wannabee is offline. Obi Wan Kenobi
    Groan...

Our boiler serves as our water heater as well. We've been delighted so far. We never run out of hot water, and it's nice having zones that can be controlled individually. It's a relatively new Weil McClain Ultra, which we've been told has an excellent reputation. Of course, when you sell the things you promote a good reputation, so I'm not sure what that's worth.
    For the Glory of our King,
    Joe Johnson
    Slave of Christ, husband, father, grandfather and TMS graduate. Personal website - SoundLife.org
    I do not know, and I do not say, that a person cannot believe in Revelation and in evolution, too, for a man may believe that which is infinitely wise and also that which is only asinine. ~ CHS

Galatians220 is offline. Inactive User
    Quote Originally Posted by bookslover View Post

Margaret
    Oh, the ignominy of it all! Everyone knows I'm TR only!!!

Yes, indeed: if not the Authorized (Furnace) Version, then the 1599 Geneva Furnace! Even if it takes only (gen-yoo-WINE) Swiss wood to operate!

I will countenance no less!!!

Margaret
    Margaret