General discussions discuss Post Office: General Delivery? in the General Forums forums; Has anyone ever used this service. From what I understand of it, a person can get something addressed General Delivery and can then pick it ...

ChristianTrader is offline. Puritanboard Graduate

Post Office: General Delivery?

Has anyone ever used this service. From what I understand of it, a person can get something addressed General Delivery and can then pick it up at their nearest main post office. (It is supposed to be for people without a steady address).

My problem is that I receive my regular mail but packages seem to get lost in transit. I am thinking if I have to go pick it up, I may have a better chance at getting the package.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hermonta
    Hermonta Godwin
    Raleigh, NC

smhbbag is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    I've used it a bit before, and it was a pain in the neck to go pick it up, but everything worked ok.

It always seemed to take an extra day compared to regular delivery. But, I wasn't tracking it, so they may have been available for pickup the day before I went there.

The nearest place for it is way over on Tryon Rd by the putt-putt place, and 20+ minute lines every time I've gone.

But it's better than not getting it.
    Jeremy
    SBC
    NC

"No heart can conceive that treasury of mercies which lies in this one privilege, in having liberty and ability to approach unto God at all times, according to his mind and will." - John Owen

rmwilliamsjr is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianTrader View Post
    Has anyone ever used this service. From what I understand of it, a person can get something addressed General Delivery and can then pick it up at their nearest main post office. (It is supposed to be for people without a steady address).

My problem is that I receive my regular mail but packages seem to get lost in transit. I am thinking if I have to go pick it up, I may have a better chance at getting the package.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hermonta
    i used general delivery for many years as we travelled.
    it does work. the problem is how long they will hold it before sending it back, if the sorting system is good so that they can find it when you come, and how your tolerance for lines is. for instance, in Yuma during the winter, general delivery can be a long wait. There is another problem we had and that was acceptability of ID. We had a card addressed by my folks to one of the kids that we never were able to pick up because as a child he didn't have picture government issued ID.
    now all the kids have passports and driver's licenses but at 7 or 8 this kept that mail from getting through.
    motto:God does not subtract from man's allotted time on earth, the hours spent reading.

Originally Posted by paul manata| Anyway, since you think I'm usually about 6 months behind you, why waste the time typing back and forth when you can just wait 6 months and I'll agree with you?
    richard williams|member Rincon Mountain PCA|Tucson Arizona|http://rinconpres.org/

Blue Tick is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    It's not a bad way to go. Ski bums use it alot when they don't have mail servive up at the resorts. The only thing is it can be impersonal.
    John
    Christ Presbyterian Church (OPC)
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    [url]www.christpres.net[/url]

NaphtaliPress is offline. Administrator
    Blog Entries
    As an alternative, which is not free but not really expensive, you might rent the smallest PO box they offer at your nearest PO. Have packages come to that; they hold them in the back, or if they have lockers and it fits they simply put a key in your box to retrieve the package.
    Chris Coldwell, Lakewood Presbyterian Church (PCA), Dallas, Texas.
    • Naphtali Press: Presbyterian & Reformed Books
    • Westminster Letter Press
    The Confessional Presbyterian Journal
    The Blue Banner Archive
    Calvin in the Hands of the Philistines: Did Calvin Bowl on the Sabbath?
    The Regulative Principle: The Scriptures are the “only infallible rule of faith and practice, no rite or ceremony ought to have a place in the public worship of God, which is not warranted in Scripture, either by direct precept or example, or by good and sufficient inference” (Samuel Miller).
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Joining PB's Politics & Government Forum