General discussions discuss New Years Resolutions? in the General Forums forums; Wanted to see the PB, 08 RESOLUTIONS! Being that I began the thread I will go first. : On the Spiritual front, a more disciplined ...

etexas is offline. Puritanboard Doctor

Question New Years Resolutions?

Wanted to see the PB, 08 RESOLUTIONS! Being that I began the thread I will go first. : On the Spiritual front, a more disciplined Prayer Life. People mine (I will admit it) has been sloppy! On the Physical front, I have my new iPod and a super nice pair of running shoes, so I am going to start hitting the pavement again! People....I took our little dog for a walk, and got sore calves, I need to drop a good 20! It is just SAD! I am going through my "fat-Elvis" phase! Glad I am married....I would NOT get a date right now!
    Last edited by etexas; 12-26-2007 at 10:06 PM. Reason: edit
    etexas, , Servant Of Christ, Saint Mary Magdalene.

VictorBravo is offline. Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Ten years ago I made a resolution to never make another resolution. I've managed to keep that one all this time. It's probably the only one I've been successful at.
    R. Victor Bottomly
    Port Cities Reformed Baptist Church, Lewiston ID

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- How to access Politics and Government forum

toddpedlar is offline. Iron Dramatist
    Quote Originally Posted by etexas View Post
    Wanted to see the PB, 08 RESOLUTIONS! Being that I began the thread I will go first. : On the Spiritual front, a more disciplined Prayer Life. People mine (I will admit it) has been sloppy! On the Physical front, I have my new iPod and a super nice pair of running shoes, so I am going to start hitting the pavement again! People....I took our little dog for a walk, and got sore calves, I need to drop a good 20! It is just SAD! I am going through my "fat-Elvis" phase! Glad I am married....I would NOT get a date right now!
    Sounds familiar. As a family, we've sworn off pop & fast food... each of these are gifts that keep on giving, so we thought it best to cut ourselves off cold turkey. Lord willing, we'll be very pleased with the results of our steadfastness in this.
    Todd K. Pedlar
    member, First Congregational Church, (CCCC) Cresco, IA
    My Blog: In Principio Deus
    24/7 Reformed Internet Radio: Sola5 Radio

"As God did not at first choose you because you were high, He will not now forsake you because you are low."
    John Flavel in Keeping the Heart

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Joining PB's Politics & Government Forum

matthew11v25 is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Since its our first year of marriage, my wife and I Started a self made plan to read the whole Bible from DEC.25 to FEB.14.
    Matthew Morales (Husband to Rachel)
    Redeemer Presbyterian Church (Santa Rosa, CA)

"...But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word." Isaiah 66:2b (ESV)

"Hammer away, ye hostile hands; Your hammers fail, God's anvil stands"

toddpedlar is offline. Iron Dramatist
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew11v25 View Post
    Since its our first year of marriage, my wife and I Started a self made plan to read the whole Bible from DEC.25 to FEB.14.
    Whew! That's quick - are you doing it in the "one flesh" mode? I mean, since you're one flesh, in order to cover it in 7 weeks, all you really need to do is have you read half of it, and she can read the other half - then, your "one flesh" can lay claim to the whole
    Todd K. Pedlar
    member, First Congregational Church, (CCCC) Cresco, IA
    My Blog: In Principio Deus
    24/7 Reformed Internet Radio: Sola5 Radio

"As God did not at first choose you because you were high, He will not now forsake you because you are low."
    John Flavel in Keeping the Heart

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Joining PB's Politics & Government Forum

matthew11v25 is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    thats true...see what my wife thinks

It is quick but it has been a good overview...about 30 pages a day (1 1/2 hour of reading). I have been blessed picking up themes that I usually miss going a chapter a day.

I have always struggled reading through the bible in year because half way through I get distracted (new book comes out, etc). We started a few days early (week ago) and are just getting into Numbers.

Our plan is a modified one off of this blog:
    Bible Reading Plan: Southern Seminary Style | Said At Southern Seminary
    Matthew Morales (Husband to Rachel)
    Redeemer Presbyterian Church (Santa Rosa, CA)

"...But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word." Isaiah 66:2b (ESV)

"Hammer away, ye hostile hands; Your hammers fail, God's anvil stands"

Quote Originally Posted by victorbravo View Post
    Ten years ago I made a resolution to never make another resolution. I've managed to keep that one all this time. It's probably the only one I've been successful at.
    ....Well Vic, I would take this type of resolution except the two things I gave, are things I really need to do, IF all works out I may try yours for 09!

Quote Originally Posted by toddpedlar View Post
    Sounds familiar. As a family, we've sworn off pop & fast food... each of these are gifts that keep on giving, so we thought it best to cut ourselves off cold turkey. Lord willing, we'll be very pleased with the results of our steadfastness in this.
    As far as "Fast-Food" I HATE it but I still eat it, I just do it a whole lot when I get busy, Megan and I have decided to have more food "prepped" here at the house, further, IF I am a sit where I am on the fly and need some FF, I will go to Chic-Fil-A and get grilled chicken on whole wheat with mustard and for the drink....water or OJ. No fries! That wil be tough, they have good waffle fries!

VictorBravo is offline. Administrator
    Blog Entries
    As far as "Fast-Food" I HATE it but I still eat it, I just do it a whole lot when I get busy, Megan and I have decided to have more food "prepped" here at the house, further, IF I am a sit where I am on the fly and need some FF, I will go to Chic-Fil-A and get grilled chicken on whole wheat with mustard and for the drink....water or OJ. No fries! That wil be tough, they have good waffle fries!

It may be unexciting or undramatic, but I commend the ole "continual crockpot" approach. At least during winter. Good hot food that varies by what is last tossed in. Cheap, healthy, and filling. Add some homemade Irish soda bread and you almost think you're just in from the moors.

crockpot soup

simple soda bread recipe
    Last edited by VictorBravo; 12-27-2007 at 12:10 PM. Reason: added links
    R. Victor Bottomly
    Port Cities Reformed Baptist Church, Lewiston ID

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- How to access Politics and Government forum

Quote Originally Posted by victorbravo View Post

It may be unexciting or undramatic, but I commend the ole "continual crockpot" approach. At least during winter. Good hot food that varies by what is last tossed in. Cheap, healthy, and filling. Add some homemade Irish soda bread and you almost think you're just in from the moors.

crockpot soup

simple soda bread recipe
    Not a bad idea! I don't mind crock pot "chow", when I was growing up my pop ran our Tank&Treater company (oil storage for you non-Texans) anyway, sometimes he would have really weird hours so, my Mom, did a lot of crock pot food, since it was always ready and good and hot when Dad came home. Nice memories actually!
    Last edited by etexas; 12-27-2007 at 02:22 PM. Reason: edit

BlackCalvinist is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Made a list of resolutions in 05 that I'm still going through.

Not 'new years', just resolutions.
    KG
    Theologically Correct dot Com
    http://www.theologicallycorrect.com
    Wallace PCA in College Park, MD
    The Blog: THINK! - Wrestlin' With Wordz -N- Ideaz
    Join * Contribute * Discuss: Life | Doctrine | Music
    streaming music blog message board christian music hub

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCalvinist View Post
    Made a list of resolutions in 05 that I'm still going through.

Not 'new years', just resolutions.
    ???? Please share.....

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    I pray that God will grant me these three:

1. A Renewed Love for His Word.
    2. A Rigorous Determination for Mortification.
    3. A Consistent and Passionate Prayer Closet.
    Nice list my Brother! Number 3 there is something I am really going to work on! I mean I pray, but it is like, when I wash my face, in the car (in silence) and siting in my recliner in my study, nothing wrong with these in and of themselves, I just need some real "focused" time!

Sonoftheday is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Ive meditated on Jonathon Edwards 70 resolutions several times in the past few months, they have made me want to make my own resolutions.

If youve never read them I would suggest doing so, they can be found here.

Historic Church Documents at Reformed.org
    Bryan Riddle
    1689 London Baptist Confession
    Bethel Baptist Church Owasso, Oklahoma

VirginiaHuguenot is offline. Puritanboard Librarian
    Blog Entries
    God grant that we may all profitably redeem the time.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Sonoftheday View Post
    Ive meditated on Jonathon Edwards 70 resolutions several times in the past few months, they have made me want to make my own resolutions.

If youve never read them I would suggest doing so, they can be found here.

Historic Church Documents at Reformed.org
    Very cool!

lololong is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    "Resolutions" for our family:
    -More consistency in the reading of the Word
    -Keep going to the gym regularly
    -Stick to our Dave Ramsey budget
    For me: That I would teach my girls well, ie teaching them what is important in life...so much more than the academics. That I would demonstrate it...actions speak louder than words.
    Lolo Long
    Calhoun Presbyterian Church, ARP
    Calhoun, LA

Quote Originally Posted by lololong View Post
    "Resolutions" for our family:
    -More consistency in the reading of the Word
    -Keep going to the gym regularly
    -Stick to our Dave Ramsey budget
    For me: That I would teach my girls well, ie teaching them what is important in life...so much more than the academics. That I would demonstrate it...actions speak louder than words.
    Nice! I hit the Gym yesterday! I felt so good mentally, I always feel more focused when I am in better shape, my Wife is giving me till the 1st to enjoy the fridge, before the really yummy stuff gets tossed. Sad sigh.....

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaHuguenot View Post
    God grant that we may all profitably redeem the time.
    Amen Andrew, missed that earlier Brother. Nice.

Since this Lord's Day is the last before '08 I decided to use my "alloted" *BUMP* to get a feel for what the PB Members want to change for the coming year. I thank those who have given input , it has inspired me. For those who have not posted, fire away! You may have a Resolution or two that we all need to add. Grace and Peace.

......Last chance boys and girls.....unless you are real Old School Eastern Orthodox!

BJClark is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    I'm with Victor, I don't make new years resolutions..I never keep them so why bother making them???
    Bobbi Clark
    Covenant Member
    Pinewood Pres. (PCA) Middleburg

When I kept Silent, My bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. Psalm 32:3

thekingsknight is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Lose weight in 08! (Get my head out of the feed bag).
    Ted Shipley
    Palmdale, CA
    Member of Centinela Baptist Church
    Lawndale, CA

[A] workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.

N. Eshelman is offline. Puritanboard Senior

JasonGoodwin is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by BJClark View Post
    I'm with Victor, I don't make new years resolutions..I never keep them so why bother making them???
    True. Why bother making them when you can't keep them? I prefer not to make resolutions in order that I may actually do something. That way, I have nowhere to go but up.
    Quote Originally Posted by nleshelman View Post
    Gain weight, exercise less.
    Jason Goodwin
    PCA
    Member, 1st Presbyterian Church, Montgomery, Alabama
    Westminster Standards

"But the Publican standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes to heaven, but smote his breast, saying, O God, be merciful to me a sinner." (Luke 18:13)

Pergamum is offline. Ordinary Guy (TM)
    LOSE 15 pounds over a year and a half (without doing it due to malaria or other health problems):

This one is big. Background data: 5 years in the military, have jumped out of planes and ran a marathan, did a lot of sports (Judo, wrestling), could bench 375... ah, but now life here takes a lot out of us.... to just live. When I became a minister I gained 10 pounds that I have never lost. Add another 5 or 10 for our first child.

I am a big burly guy who is really "thick" (likened to a brick..ummm.... outhouse on occasion)....I can still hike all day (29 hours in a 3 day period through mud last month)but I am getting slow and winded when I run too fast.... my wind sprints are laughable. I am feeling old and washed up at 32.

Read the New Testament all the way through in the ___language and the English. This will be slow going. So many new words.

Actually save some money: It is so hard to save money when pressing needs are all around. If a local kid is deathly sick, how do I keep money in the wallet and not help him get treatment. So, for about 2 and 1/2 years now, I have not accumulated any savings. This worries my wife at times. I want to change that. I plan to put money automatically into an account such that I cannot pull it out and thus force myself to save something.
    Pergamum

"If a commission by an earthly king is considered a honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?"
    -- David Livingstone

Blog Entries
    I was going to resolve to stop procrastinating.... but I think I'll put that off until 2009.
    "Is this not a brand plucked from the fire? - Zechariah 3:2

James Helbert, Wytheville, VA
    Providence Reformed Presbyterian Church, RPCUS

GraceAndLaw.net / The Edinburgh Inn

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Davidius is offline. Inactive User
    I would like to read through the entire bible before my wedding (JD's 90-day calendar is hopefully going to help me attain this goal!) and also become more disciplined in my eating and exercising habits.
    Davidius
    Husband of Emily
    Member of All Saints Anglican Church - Chapel Hill (AMiA / Anglican Church of North America)
    Student: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, German and Classics

jaybird0827 is offline. PuritanBoard Honor Roll
    Blog Entries
    This is not a "resolution" but a change I've decided to make for our family worship:

In morning and evening family worship we will be following the Psalmody Calendar (example) so as to sing the selection of the day at both hours in the hope of becoming more familiar with what we're singing and of gaining fuel for our family and private prayers.
    ~Jay~
    Husband of ENS, father of J II. | Indian Trail, NC
    disabled - cancer
    Communicant Member, Precentor | Presbyterian Reformed Church of Charlotte, NC | Presbyterian Reformed Church