General discussions discuss Need help articulating my view on Scripture in the General Forums forums; Lately I have a hard time articulating something is upsetting me internally. I hear various preachers (ministers, students, and professors) and I see various presuppositional ...

sgemmen9 is offline. Puritanboard Freshman

Need help articulating my view on Scripture

Lately I have a hard time articulating something is upsetting me internally. I hear various preachers (ministers, students, and professors) and I see various presuppositional differences. Some interpet the word of God literally, at face value. This kind of hermenutic displays God as a serious God (while still maintaining grace found in Christ). I would say that these preachers are orthodox, some Ph. D students even who are solidly reformed. I wonder this: the sermon though seems that life is more about repentence and giving it all over to Christ. In contrast, other preachers, some who I would also say are solidly reformed, display a kind of God who is everloving, his kindness leads us to repentence but there seems to be a less "imminent" view of Christ and a seriousness of living day to day. THe first man is a more high strung person and a Ph.d Student. The second has been in ministry for years and has a family. Discussion? Which Jesus is right?
    Shelby
    My Personal Blog: http://logossarxegeneto.wordpress.com/
    Calvin Seminary, M.Div Alumni
    Grand Rapids, MI

Wayne is offline now. Tempus faciendi, Domine.
    I appreciate that you are trying to be careful and not name names, but this sounds like something that would be best discussed in private with your pastor or Session.
    Wayne Sparkman, Th.M., C.A.
    Director, PCA Historical Center, St. Louis, MO
    Blogs: The Continuing Story and This Day in Presbyterian History
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

"Remember, it is not hasty reading, but serious meditating upon holy and heavenly truths, that make them prove sweet and profitable to the soul...It is not he that reads most , but he that meditates most, that will prove the choicest, sweetest, wisest and strongest Christian." - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680) [HT: Hamalas]