General discussions discuss How to give God glory when responding to a compliment? in the General Forums forums; I received a compliment the other day and was wondering something. What would be a good way to respond to the person to give God ...

grizzlor is offline. Puritanboard Freshman

How to give God glory when responding to a compliment?

I received a compliment the other day and was wondering something.

What would be a good way to respond to the person to give God all the glory without sounding odd or cliche?
    Brad
    Deacon, SBC
    RC, NC

he beholds is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Good question
    J.L.

VirginiaHuguenot is offline. Puritanboard Librarian
    Blog Entries

toddpedlar is offline. Iron Dramatist
    Well, a simple thank you is half-way there. I'm one who takes to stammering around, too, when complimented, or minimizing the complement, etc. The ease of bringing glory to God amidst a compliment certainly depends, too, on what you're being complimented for. I've said, in the past, various things: "I'm thankful to God that my work/teaching/sermon" blessed you in that way." "Praise God that you were blessed", etc. It's hard, but practice helps (and I'm pretty unpracticed at it and don't always get the above out unless I'm very cognizant of what I'm doing at the time).
    Todd K. Pedlar
    member, First Congregational Church, (CCCC) Cresco, IA
    My Blog: In Principio Deus
    24/7 Reformed Internet Radio: Sola5 Radio

"As God did not at first choose you because you were high, He will not now forsake you because you are low."
    John Flavel in Keeping the Heart

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Joining PB's Politics & Government Forum

TheFleshProfitethNothing is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Sometimes it's like the gospel, it offends, and people think your a nut case.

Giving God all the Glory is foreign to the natural man, and the carnal man struggles with it as well.

I just remember that "all good things come from the Father of lights"...and use that as a foundational thought in responding...it's not always the thought spoken, but leads to other scriptural things.

And as Todd mentioned, it takes practice.
    Duane
    Lighthouse Bible Church (Independent Reformed)
    Delavan, WI

Election is the Good News (Gospel)

What good work must we do to inherit the Kingdom of God?
    THIS is the WORK OF GOD, that ye believe on Him in Whom He hath sent.

nicnap is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    A simple, "thanks" is all that is needed, usually. Sometime though, more is warranted.

I think sometimes we can become so self-deprecating that it seems false...almost arrogant.
    soli Deo gloria!
    ~Nicholas~
    Pastor, Boyce Memorial ARP, Kings Mountain, NC. (SermonAudio) GPTS Alumnus
    Christians are like snow covered dung; it is the purity of the covering which the Father sees. -Luther-
    There is nothing more ugly than a Christian orthodoxy without understanding or without compassion.
    -Francis Schaeffer-

Wannabee is offline. Obi Wan Kenobi
    I often (well, not that it happens often) reply with "Praise God." It offers agreement that the sermon, or whatever service, was done well, but gives credit where credit is due. If one preaches Scripture with integrity then they've done well, so it's not disingenuous to accept the compliment in the praise of the One who gives us strength and works in us to will and to do.
    For the Glory of our King,
    Joe Johnson
    Slave of Christ, husband, father, grandfather and TMS graduate. Personal website - SoundLife.org
    I do not know, and I do not say, that a person cannot believe in Revelation and in evolution, too, for a man may believe that which is infinitely wise and also that which is only asinine. ~ CHS

Pergamum is offline now. Ordinary Guy (TM)
    I ditto the simple thanks as being best...or a "cool."

I almost stopped complimenting people altogether as a new Christian when I ran into a lady notorious for the "No, it's not me..it's just the Lord...I couldn't possibly do anything but the Lord is good and it is all me...." for at least 3 or 4 solid minutes..... that taught me for sure!
    Pergamum

"If a commission by an earthly king is considered a honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?"
    -- David Livingstone

Quote Originally Posted by Pergamum View Post
    I ditto the simple thanks as being best...or a "cool."

I almost stopped complimenting people altogether as a new Christian when I ran into a lady notorious for the "No, it's not me..it's just the Lord...I couldn't possibly do anything but the Lord is good and it is all me...." for at least 3 or 4 solid minutes..... that taught me for sure!
    I ran into her too...did she have blue hair?
    soli Deo gloria!
    ~Nicholas~
    Christians are like snow covered dung; it is the purity of the covering which the Father sees. -Luther-
    There is nothing more ugly than a Christian orthodoxy without understanding or without compassion.
    -Francis Schaeffer-

Pergamum is offline now. Ordinary Guy (TM)
    Yes, and it was very tall...wait, that was Marge Simpson!
    Pergamum

"If a commission by an earthly king is considered a honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?"
    -- David Livingstone

soli Deo gloria!
    ~Nicholas~
    -Francis Schaeffer-

Poimen is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate

Anyways... I have learned over the years to take a compliment in a gracious fashion. Though most people are probably not offended it is actually rude to try to deny that what you did had anything to do with you - they wanted to encourage you and you end up denying them that opportunity (especially in the context of Christian brotherhood and giving).

I have changed my ways and now I usually say "You are welcome" or "It was my pleasure. I do try, however, to respond like Joe with "Praise the Lord" when the compliment is given with respect to a sermon.
    Rev. Daniel Kok
    Pastor in the St. Lawrence Presbytery of the RPCNA
    Leduc, Alberta CANADA

"What sort of pledge and how great is this of love towards us! Christ lives for us not for himself!"
    John Calvin, Commentary on the Hebrews (7:25)

Herald is offline. Moderator
    To a Christian: "Thank you."

To an unbeliever: "Thank you."
    Bill Brown
    Elder
    Grace Baptist Church
    Student at Midwest Center for Theological Studies

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

No Longer A Libertine is offline. Inactive User
    I usually feign bashfullness, put on my aw-shucks demeanor, flip my wrist in playful dismissal and flirtaciously encourage them with the reply "Go on."

I earn cute points and bring much shameless glory to myself at this juncture.

On a serious note it is odd when people give you props for physical attributes, I have really blue eyes and the ladies can't resist 'em, the rest of me they can, but the eyes they gravitate to like a moth to a flame; I just can't take credit for these baby blues.
    :detective:
    Travis Speegle
    Redeemer Presbyterian, PCA (Waco, Tx)
    Pacific Cross Roads, PCA (Los Angeles, CA)

"When it comes to trustworthy theologians one can usually honor the rule of thumb that the deader the better."-Dr. John Hannah, DTS (of all places)

Tim
    Tim is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    Sometimes I have hesitated to complement the pastor on his sermon because I don't want to cause him to become proud. I suspect some pastors have to work against feelings of pride about how well they lead their flock. Or even other people in their secular vocations.

But someone told me once that a good thing to say is "I think you were faithful [to the text]. Thanks for that." It sounded like a good suggestion to me.
    Tim Lindsay
    member, Southfield RPCNA, Southfield, MI

"in the center of the continent, on a river flowing toward the inland sea, not far from a great northern forest"

For listings of EP churches everywhere, visit: exclusivepsalmodychurches.wordpress.com

kvanlaan is offline. Puritanboard Doctor

Interesting. Any difference in tone or inflection when speaking to a pagan?
    Kevin, husband of a truly angelic woman, and father to twelve.
    Zion United Reformed Church of Sheffield
    Ontario, Canada

CalvinandHodges is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Thank you

Praise God!
    In Essentials Unity, in non-Essentials Liberty, in all things Charity.

Robert Paul Wieland
    RPCNA
    Pittsburgh, PA

jambo is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Me: "Thank you for your message I really appreciated what you said thismorning"
    Speaker (in a bashful manner): "Oh, it was the Lord."
    Me: "Well it wasn't that good."
    Stuart
    Finaghy Baptist, Belfast, UK
    In Him the fulness of the Godhead dwells in bodily form and in Him you are complete (Col 2.9-10)

grizzlor is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Brad
    Deacon, SBC
    RC, NC

blhowes is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    My compliments to all participants of this thread. Very interesting reading. Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by jambo View Post
    B.Howes
    Massachusetts

satz is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by kvanlaan View Post

Interesting. Any difference in tone or inflection when speaking to a pagan?
    Could you clarify a little what you were getting at, Kevin?

I have to confess to being a little confused.

gene_mingo is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by jambo View Post
    Josh Taylor
    RE Verde Valley Reformed Chapel, OPC
    Cottonwood, AZ