Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

General discussions discuss First Steps When Someone Dies at Home? in the General Forums forums; The internet is surprisingly uninformative on this topic. If someone dies in your house, what do you do? I'm referring to practical things: who do ...

py3ak is offline. They're stalling and plotting against me

First Steps When Someone Dies at Home?

The internet is surprisingly uninformative on this topic.

If someone dies in your house, what do you do? I'm referring to practical things: who do you call, in what order, what are common mistakes, what might get you in trouble, etc.?

There are currently no corpses in my residence that I'm aware of, but I was seized with panic this morning on realizing that I have no idea of what steps to take if ever confronted with this logistical problem.
    Ruben: Administrator
    F.P.C.Indianapolis

...analogy does not mean identity. When we make a comparison we do not make an equation. -John Murray

Board Rules - Signature Requirements - Suggestions?

Teología en Mexico
    The Howling Wilderness

NaphtaliPress is offline. Administrator
    Blog Entries
    911? Surely the paramedics would not only confirm death but know the next steps?
    Chris Coldwell, Lakewood Presbyterian Church (PCA), Dallas, Texas.
    • Naphtali Press: Presbyterian & Reformed Books
    • Westminster Letter Press
    The Confessional Presbyterian Journal
    The Blue Banner Archive
    Calvin in the Hands of the Philistines: Did Calvin Bowl on the Sabbath?
    The Regulative Principle: The Scriptures are the “only infallible rule of faith and practice, no rite or ceremony ought to have a place in the public worship of God, which is not warranted in Scripture, either by direct precept or example, or by good and sufficient inference” (Samuel Miller).
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Joining PB's Politics & Government Forum

DMcFadden is offline. Meum cerebrum nocet
    You simply call 911 or the police. They will take care of it from there. (Assuming that the person is really dead and not just mostly dead. If they are mostly dead you simply call 911). If they call the Coroner, the police will stay on site until the Coroner comes. If 911 will take the person to the hospital (on the logic that they are mostly dead, not really dead), you will really have no problems. If the police arrive, prepare to wait until the Coroner's office shows up which can take a few hours. At least that is how they handle it in CA. I have sat with a body for several hours until the Coroner comes and removes it. On the other hand, sometimes the time from initial call to body removal is an hour or less.

Oops! Maybe I misread your question. Obviously my answer did not deal with informing next of kin, etc.

Also, if the "person" is dead because you killed her in a fit of pique over taking your copy of Wheelock's Latin Grammar, you might want to consider going on the lam before the authorities arrive.
    Dennis E. McFadden, Ex Mainline Baptist (in Remission)
    Atherton Baptist Homes, Alhambra, CA, President/CEO
    Emmanuel Lutheran Church, LCMS

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

No, that was practical. If you call 911 do you wind up getting charged? If they take the deceased to the hospital?

I guess it doesn't matter if the Coroner, etc., get their hands on the body first because the next of kin are expecting to go the morgue/funeral home, etc.
    F.P.C.Indianapolis

...analogy does not mean identity. When we make a comparison we do not make an equation. -John Murray

Teología en Mexico
    The Howling Wilderness

Scott1 is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    A good procedure would be to call the Fire Department/EMT/paramedics.

Don't worry about the cost.
    Scott
    PCA
    North Carolina

Post Tenebras Lux; "And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever." - Revelation 11:15

Rich Koster is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Blog Entries
    Call Benny Hinn. He will get them up and going if you sow a generous seed of faith.
    Rich Koster
    Browns Mills NJ USA
    Member of Covenant Baptist, Lumberton NJ (1689ers)
    http://cbclumberton.wordpress.com/

Thankful that I'm not saved by merit badges
    Romans 7:14-25

Jimmy the Greek is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    For deaths that occur at home, it's important to know who to call. If your loved one is a hospice patient, call the hospice agency to report the death. A hospice nurse will come to the home and pronounce the death. The nurse may also call a mortuary for you and arrange for pick up of the body.

If your loved one is not a hospice patient, then you must call 911 Emergency Services to notify the local police of the death. A coroner or medical examiner may be required at the scene if the death was sudden.
    Jim
    1689 LBCF
    Independent Bible Church
    North Texas, USA

Actually, Ruben, if you are "planning" to have a dead body in your house, it might be that you have bigger problems than worrying over who will pay for the transport . . . like how will you pay for your legal defense!

If you find a body that is obviously dead, you can always call the police and they will handle all of your logistics for you. They are quite adept at next steps in such a case.

Jim is quite correct about hospice. I guess my assumption was that you discover a member of your household has "expired" (generally considered, not that they were hospice patients specifically).

Dennis, I may do a separate thread later about tips for fleeing from a criminal manhunt.

The consensus seems to be to call the cops, and of course people mostly don't know a number for them except 911 - but I can't help being a little worried about the potential cost. Does anyone have any reassurance to offer on that score?
    F.P.C.Indianapolis

Teología en Mexico
    The Howling Wilderness

AThornquist is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    A decent point was raised: would one be charged for calling 911 to remove the corpse? Would it be more cost effective to drag it first to the neighbor's lawn and let them make the call?

Kiffin is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    creepy thread...
    EJ
    Reformed Baptist
    Chicago, IL

A "god' whose will is resisted, whose designs are frustrated, whose purpose is checkmated, possesses no title to Deity, and so far from being a fit object of worship, merits nought but contempt.
    A.W. Pink

Galatians220 is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Ruben,

Around here, no one gets charged for a 911 call in that circumstance. I can't speak for all municipalities or jurisdictions, obviously, but the Charter Township of Canton, I know, does not charge for that.

They don't even charge for EMT transport to the local first responder site, nor do they charge for local hospital transport from there. The only charge comes if you want transport to a different hospital, i.e., one that's outside the township.

The police & fire dept. link from your local municipality/township would indicate, or would give you a phone number to call to find out what if any charges there would be.

Blessings - and a hug to your magnificent wife! -

Margaret
    Margaret
    Associate member, Heritage Netherlands Reformed Church of Grand Rapids, MI

I am not what I ought to be — ah, how imperfect and deficient! I am not what I wish to be — I abhor what is evil, and I would cleave to what is good! I am not what I hope to be — soon, soon shall I put off mortality, and with mortality all sin and imperfection. Yet, though I am not what I ought to be, nor what I wish to be, nor what I hope to be, I can truly say, I am not what I once was; a slave to sin and Satan; and I can heartily join with the apostle, and acknowledge, "By the grace of God I am what I am." - John Newton
    • As quoted in The Christian Pioneer (1856) edited by Joseph Foulkes Winks, p. 84.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiffin View Post
    creepy thread...
    Definitely one of the strangest I've read. However, the mixture of true curiosity and humor is classic.

That's reassuring, Margaret. Thank you! It does seem a bit harsh to add the trauma of massive, unexpected bills to the trauma of a dead body in your house. Unless someone chimes in otherwise, I will hold off on obtaining a savings account for deceased house guest body disposal expenses.

Now, say that someone had a card that donated their body to research: is it a faux pas to call those people before one contacts the local PD?

If you're in a hotel, is it courtesy or requirement to let the front desk know?
    F.P.C.Indianapolis

Teología en Mexico
    The Howling Wilderness

Important questions you pose, Ruben.

Also, is there a time frame in which the PD must be called, or could I wait a day or two day to call when it is convenient for my schedule?

Backwoods Presbyterian is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AThornquist View Post
    Important questions you pose, Ruben.

Also, is there a time frame in which the PD must be called, or could I wait a day or two day to call when it is convenient for my schedule?
    This is a good point. I mean it is not like the body is going anywhere and it takes a little while for the smell to develop.
    Rev. Benjamin P. Glaser, M. Div, ARP
    Pastor, Ellisville Presbyterian Church, ARP
    Ellisville, Mississippi

‎‎"Ministers of the Gospel, when dispensing the truths of God, must preach home to their own souls, as well as unto others. Sir's, we do not deliver truths or doctrines to you, wherein we ourselves have no manner of concern. No, our own souls are at the stake, and shall either perish or be saved eternally, as we receive or reject these precious truths which we deliver unto you. And truly, it can never be expected that we will apply the truths of God with any warmth or liveliness unto others, unless we first make a warm application thereof to our own souls. And if we do not feed upon these doctrines, and practise these duties, which we deliver to and inculcate upon you, though we preach unto others, we ourselves are but castaways." -- Ebenezer Erskine, "The Assurance of Faith", pg. 8

Deo Vindice

I have wondered about the time frame thing before, but I would like to point out that if any of us should be in this situation, this thread could be remembered with gratitude for helping us bowl the sticky wicket of government interaction with private citizens in the emotionally laden time of death, or with a shudder of horror at how attempts at humor dragged it completely off track.

Margaret, Heidi sends you a hug back.
    F.P.C.Indianapolis

Teología en Mexico
    The Howling Wilderness

Wayne is offline. Tempus faciendi, Domine.
    creepy thread...
    Yes, but now Ruben is prepared and can invite company over at last. It's all very convenient.

I will hold off on obtaining a savings account for deceased house guest body disposal expenses.
    All the proper families have an endowment set aside for this purpose.
    Wayne Sparkman, Th.M., C.A.
    Director, PCA Historical Center, St. Louis, MO
    Blogs: The Continuing Story and This Day in Presbyterian History

"Remember, it is not hasty reading, but serious meditating upon holy and heavenly truths, that make them prove sweet and profitable to the soul...It is not he that reads most , but he that meditates most, that will prove the choicest, sweetest, wisest and strongest Christian." - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680) [HT: Hamalas]

Romans922 is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Wouldn't the person's life insurance cover such expenses (if there are any)?

Personally, I only have life insurance for the good of my family, obviously I wouldn't mind just being thrown in a hole, if a pine box is necessary so be it. I would do away with the vault. Blah (too much unnecessary money). They can't keep my body in the grave, not when I'm still united to Christ, vaults will not hold my body! Why the government thinks I need a vault is beyond me.
    Elder Andrew Barnes (PCA)
    Christ Presbyterian Church (Kansas City, MO)
    Sermon Audio
    Twitter

Perhaps, but wouldn't you rather keep the life insurance, instead of giving it to the coroner? If you donate your body to science, you can avoid most if not all death-related expenses. The point at issue is making sure you avoid them all, while not putting yourself at any legal risk.
    F.P.C.Indianapolis

Teología en Mexico
    The Howling Wilderness

Berean is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Interesting Saturday discussion. So if someone dies in your living room, log on to the PB first thing for your to-do checklist.

Now we've moved on to the burial phase. Andrew, if you do away with the vault then the grave will sink as the casket deteriorates. Most cemeteries require them.
    Norm
    PCA
    Iowa

Our fair morning is at hand, the daystar is near the rising, and we are not many miles from home; what matters the ill entertainment in the smoky inns of this miserable life? We are not to stay here, and we will be dearly welcome to Him whom we go to. --The Loveliness of Christ, Samuel Rutherford

Quote Originally Posted by Berean View Post
    Interesting Saturday discussion. So if someone dies in your living room, log on to the PB first thing for your to-do checklist.

Now we've moved on to the burial phase. Andrew, if you do away with the vault then the grave will sink as the casket deteriorates. Most cemeteries require them.
    I think the first step might be to update your Facebook status, and let the advice come to you.
    F.P.C.Indianapolis

Teología en Mexico
    The Howling Wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by Berean View Post

Norm,

I know most cemeteries require them. I'm still opposed, and a sinking grave I care not about, just put a mound of dirt over it. Gravestone I care not, just put a big sign up somewhere that tells the Gospel, I'm happy. There are a number of people who do that in MS (especially those on welfare). To my knowledge you don't need a vault if you bury within three days of death in MS. But you have to have a *GOOD* cemetery to be able to do that.
    Sermon Audio
    Twitter

SolaScriptura is offline. Puritanboard Softy
    Is it wrong to rummage through the pockets of the dead man to see if he has any loose change? I mean, is it stealing if he's dead? And what about if you KNOW he has no living relatives who could rightly lay claim to his loose change?
    Ben
    Chaplain, US Army
    Columbia, SC
    TE Potomac Presbytery, PCA
    www.thebenaddiction.com

"Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, 'would an idiot do that?' And if they would, I do not do that thing." -- Dwight Schrute

"I've been so thoroughly trained that I don't even need to think before I speak." -- Harry Crumb

I would definitely take the pocketknife, if there was one.

Should you leave the body where it was found, or should you arrange it somewhere respectfully?

In Mexico, when people die they get covered with a white sheet. What if you don't have any white sheets? I'm assuming paisley prints are out, but what about a tasteful floral pattern?
    F.P.C.Indianapolis

Teología en Mexico
    The Howling Wilderness

SolaScriptura is offline. Puritanboard Softy
    Would it be acceptable to use them as a coffee table? Or perhaps put them out of the way in a corner or something?
    Ben
    Chaplain, US Army
    Columbia, SC
    TE Potomac Presbytery, PCA
    www.thebenaddiction.com

"Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, 'would an idiot do that?' And if they would, I do not do that thing." -- Dwight Schrute

"I've been so thoroughly trained that I don't even need to think before I speak." -- Harry Crumb

Quote Originally Posted by SolaScriptura View Post
    Or perhaps put them out of the way in a corner or something?
    Exactly: should you leave your deceased house guest in the middle of the living room floor, drag him into the closet, prop him in a chair, etc.?
    F.P.C.Indianapolis

Teología en Mexico
    The Howling Wilderness

You could put the pocketknives (or is it the change/money) over their eyes. I've seen that in movies!
    Sermon Audio
    Twitter

I would definitely take the pocketknife, if there was one.
    That explains the neat collection you showed me. Provenance is everything.

"Remember, it is not hasty reading, but serious meditating upon holy and heavenly truths, that make them prove sweet and profitable to the soul...It is not he that reads most , but he that meditates most, that will prove the choicest, sweetest, wisest and strongest Christian." - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680) [HT: Hamalas]

TimV is offline. Puritanboard Botanist
    Yes, but now Ruben is prepared and can invite company over at last. It's all very convenient.
    Wayne, was that a dig at Heidi's cooking?
    Tim Vaughan
    Member, Redeemer Presbyterian, OPC,
    Santa Maria
    California

Quote Originally Posted by TimV View Post

Just saying . . .

OPC'n is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries
    I'm just sitting here wondering why you were suddenly seized with panic about having a dead body in your house LOL! Anyway, as far as the cost of calling 911 I'm sure that cost would fall on the dead person's family. Don't worry I have family members with money who will pay for 911 if I ever happen to be dead at your house. However, they won't pay a ransom for my body so you would be better off calling 911 just to get me out of your house.
    sarah
    providence (Only Perfect Church)
    wi coldest snowiest state in the union

Sarah, the reassurance that your family will cover it makes me feel much better about the prospect of you dying at my place!

So there is a cost, then, where you are? My anxiety is returning.
    F.P.C.Indianapolis

Teología en Mexico
    The Howling Wilderness

Blog Entries
    Ruben, I believe it depends on where you live and it also depends on how much medical assistance 911 provides. Since the person is dead already there isn't going to be much in the way of assistance. If they have health insurance, then their health insurance will pay for the costs. Otherwise, check with your home insurance company. They probably cover such things for a very small amount of money since it doesn't happen often that your "friends" die in your home.....have you checked the expiration dates on your can foods? lol!
    sarah

So the moral of that story is to look up the regular PD phone number and use that instead of 911.
    F.P.C.Indianapolis

Teología en Mexico
    The Howling Wilderness

I've heard that in Russia, they make you pay for the bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by TimV View Post
    No, no. Tim, thy name is misunderstanding. Heidi's cooking is fine. It all has to do with Ruben's irrational fear of zombies.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by py3ak View Post
    So the moral of that story is to look up the regular PD phone number and use that instead of 911.
    Well, you can but they are going to dispatch an EMS to your house anyway just in case the person is alive and you just don't know it. Also, they are going to wonder why you didn't call 911 first......looks suspicious really.
    sarah

Ruben, in the midst of your creepy obsession with unlikely topics, remember YOU will not have to pay to remove your own body.

Nor will you be billed for the removal of anybody else's body other than your spouse. In such a case, your mortuary of choice will likely pick up your dear wife's still beautiful corpse and include any charges in the funeral arrangements.

In the nearly impossible event that you have a guest die in your house, you will not be billed (unless your laws are VERY different from ours) for calling the PD or 911. Since it is fairly likely that the mortuary will remove the body, the person's estate/relatives will likely get the bill as part of the final arrangements. You might want to quit playing Russian Roulette as a parlor game, however, just on general principles.

Ruben, this thread has been going on all day. You better make the call pretty soon or you will have some 'splainin to do to the police when they arrive.

It is almost dark here. Would you please change the subject to something less creepy . . . like how many seniors will die horrible deaths when Obama care is enacted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast