See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

General discussions discuss Buying a New Desk for the Pastor's Study in the General Forums forums; We are recarpeting the Pastor's study and couple other rooms at the church and part of what we are doing in that is also updating ...

Backwoods Presbyterian is offline now. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries

Buying a New Desk for the Pastor's Study

We are recarpeting the Pastor's study and couple other rooms at the church and part of what we are doing in that is also updating our 1960's-era furniture.

This includes purchasing a new desk for my study. I had a large "executive" style desk and liked it. However I would be interested in buying something that does not take up near as much room.

Two options that I have been looking at is either another "executive" style desk like this one (not this one particularly):

Sauder Heritage Hill Double Pedestal Desk 64 34 W Classic Cherry by Office Depot

or just buying a writing desk like this:

OS Home & Office Furniture Hudson Valley 48" Writing Desk | Wayfair

Any advice or helpful questions from the PB brethren and sisterthren would be appreciated.
    Rev. Benjamin P. Glaser, M. Div, ARP
    Pastor, Ellisville Presbyterian Church, ARP
    Ellisville, Mississippi

‎‎"Ministers of the Gospel, when dispensing the truths of God, must preach home to their own souls, as well as unto others. Sir's, we do not deliver truths or doctrines to you, wherein we ourselves have no manner of concern. No, our own souls are at the stake, and shall either perish or be saved eternally, as we receive or reject these precious truths which we deliver unto you. And truly, it can never be expected that we will apply the truths of God with any warmth or liveliness unto others, unless we first make a warm application thereof to our own souls. And if we do not feed upon these doctrines, and practise these duties, which we deliver to and inculcate upon you, though we preach unto others, we ourselves are but castaways." -- Ebenezer Erskine, "The Assurance of Faith", pg. 8

Deo Vindice

Joshua is offline. _
    Blog Entries
    Josh
    CCRPC, RPCGA
    The Lord doth build up Jerusalem: he gathereth together the outcasts of Israel. He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds. - Ps. 147
    3 member(s) found this post helpful.

Blog Entries
    Ellisville, Mississippi

‎‎"Ministers of the Gospel, when dispensing the truths of God, must preach home to their own souls, as well as unto others. Sir's, we do not deliver truths or doctrines to you, wherein we ourselves have no manner of concern. No, our own souls are at the stake, and shall either perish or be saved eternally, as we receive or reject these precious truths which we deliver unto you. And truly, it can never be expected that we will apply the truths of God with any warmth or liveliness unto others, unless we first make a warm application thereof to our own souls. And if we do not feed upon these doctrines, and practise these duties, which we deliver to and inculcate upon you, though we preach unto others, we ourselves are but castaways." -- Ebenezer Erskine, "The Assurance of Faith", pg. 8

Deo Vindice

matt01 is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    Matt
    Bible Fellowship
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

JP Wallace is offline. Moderator
    Benjamin

I recently downsized my desk. I found that the big desk I had just gave me more space to stack papers on, so I got rid of the 5'x2'1/2 and got a very basic 4x2 from IKEA, and rearranged my shelves and storage to keep studd I used to stack (lexicons, 'live commentaries' etc. near at hand but off the desk. Then again that's maybe just me. Drawers don't work well with me - I just fill them with bits and pieces, kids toys and stuffs (I work at home!). Out of the two I like the writing desk one, the one big drawer would be very useful for keeping work-in-progress papers in order at out of the way.
    Paul Wallace
    RPCI
    Northern Ireland

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

fredtgreco is offline. Vanilla Westminsterian
    I find that I need a larger size L-Shaped desk. I have two monitors, and to keep some writing space, an inbox, and area for a phone, etc., it is a must. One thing I would say, once you get a new desk, it is not easy to replace it. So get what will fit and what you think you may use.

IMG_1776.jpgIMG_1777.jpg
    Fred Greco
    Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA (Katy, TX)
    Christ Church Blog

"The heart is the main thing in true religion...It is the hinge and turning-point in the condition of man's soul. If the heart is alive to God and quickened by the Spirit, the man is a living Christian. If the heart is dead and has not the Spirit, the man is dead before God." (J.C. Ryle)

reformedminister is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    I would pray about it and then look on Craigslist. I was needing one too over a year ago. I found a beautiful, heavy, Mahogany Desk that I paid only $100 for. It would cost at least $1, 500 new, and it is in terrific shape. A Baptist minister had previously owned it. I liked it so much I put it in my study at home and put my nice oak desk in the Pastor's Study at Church.
    Rev. Andy Eppard
    Senior Pastor
    First Cumberland Presbyterian Church
    Springfield, MO
    firstcp.net
    2 member(s) found this post helpful.

Blog Entries
    To give you a better idea of what kind of space I am looking at for the new desk, whether it be an "executive" style or a "writing" style, I took some pictures of 1) the Old Desk, 2) the room itself. The first picture of the room shows where I have my table set up and probably where I would put a "writing" style desk if I go that route. The second picture of the room shows where the old desk sat, right in front of the door with the step (where the chair is now). The dimensions of the old desk are 36"D x 66"W x 29"H. The room itself is 14' x 18' with a door on each wall, yet certainly not "uniform".

Thanks again for all y'alls help.

Ellisville, Mississippi

Deo Vindice

Blog Entries
    Also, just as an FYI, this room also needs to be used for Wednesday Bible Study. As any small church with limited space rooms must have multiple uses.
    Ellisville, Mississippi

Deo Vindice

Blog Entries
    bump
    Ellisville, Mississippi

Deo Vindice

JM
    JM is offline. Puritanboard Professor
    A friend of mine was given a very large, old communion table with a burning bush on the front, he covered the top with glass and uses it for his desk. It looks awesome. All his sermon prep is done on this old table.

Jason
    Particular Baptist
    Ontario, Canada
    twitter
    Feileadh Mor
    YouTube

We must remember that literally all our salvation is in Christ. - Herman Hoeksema