See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

General discussions discuss Amazon Kindle in the General Forums forums; I've been thinking about buying an Amazon Kindle so I can download books and read them without having to shop for them and the comparison ...

Rufus is offline. Puritanboard Junior

Amazon Kindle

I've been thinking about buying an Amazon Kindle so I can download books and read them without having to shop for them and the comparison of cost between the Kindle and buying constant books.

Anybody recommend it? Anybody who doesn't?
    Sean
    Layman, First Presbyterian Church of Concord New Hampshire (PCA)
    Hillsborough, New Hampshire

Andres is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    I'll recommend it.
    Andrew Silva
    RE OPC (currently not serving)
    Dallas Reformed Presbyterian Church (RPCNA)
    North Dallas

My blog - Lose Your Life
    Follow me - Twitter

He is your friend who pushes you nearer to God. - Abraham Kuyper

Claudiu is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    I recommend it. I have about $2,000 worth of material on it that I was able to get for free.
    Claudiu
    In search of a church
    Spokane, WA
    "Ultimately all things are disciplined by theology."

greenbaggins is offline. Administrator
    I purchased one and am really enjoying it. For about $400 total (Kindle plus individual purchases), you can have basically all that's important in English literature. If you have a wireless connection, go with the wi-fi only. If you don't, then get the 3G version. For collections of works, I generally prefer Mobile Reference Library editions, as they usually have the best navigation and organization, which is ESSENTIAL on a Kindle. They're a tad more expensive, but it's still nothing compared to what you'd spend on buying the books individually. For instance, you get the complete works of Charles Dickens for under $5. There are usually a couple of typos in these collections (which is pretty much unavoidable when you're doing OCR on all the scans). But they are not that distracting. I wouldn't recommend it that much for theological study, especially if, like me, you like to take notes. You can take notes on the Kindle, but it's awkward. If you read anything theological on it, I'd recommend devotional only.
    Rev. Lane Keister
    Teaching Elder, PCA, Winnsboro, SC
    http://greenbaggins.wordpress.com
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

KMK
    KMK is offline. Moderator
    I love mine.

Pros: Incredibly easy on the eyes and able to save hundreds of square feet of bookshelf space in your home.

Cons: Harder to skip around on a Kindle than a regular book.

Village Community Church of Wrightwood

Transformation Ministries

"Preparing a sermon is like cooking a meal. You need pots and pans and utensils, but you don't bring them out to the table where people are eating." Derek Thomas

Ne Oublie is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Absolutely a great investment!
    Robert
    ..the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance...

MMasztal is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    It took a while for me to actually start using the thing, but I like it. As has been noted, you can get tons of books for free or a buck or two and end up carrying around a huge library at your ready access.
    Michael Masztal
    Ruling Elder, Chapel By The Sea, ARP
    Melbourne Beach, FL

baron is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    I also love my Kindle. It's hard to read abook after reading on the Kindle. I can increase text size only so many words to look at. When I went to a book to many words would jump out at me. My grandson say's the same thing and he is able to read better on the Kindle. While I spent 6 hours today at the doctor's with my wife I had over 400 book's to choose from. Which about 95 percent were free. I used to have to carry a bag of books before now just my little Kindle. I have the 3G. Best investment I have made.
    John Komenda
    Attending: Refreshing Springs Church
    Buffalo, New York
    http://www.refreshingspringsministri...c_id=140000066

Before they call I will answer; while they are yet speaking I will hear. Is.65:24 ESV

The Scriptures teach us the best way of living, the noblest way of suffering, and the most comfortable way of dying. John Flavel.

DMcFadden is offline. Meum cerebrum nocet
    My wife and I each have one and it is INCREDIBLY easy on the eyes (especially as you get older).

For a quick list of the free ones, check this site frequently: 50 Free Books in the Kindle Store « Kindle Review – Kindle 3 Review, Kindle vs Nook.

Publishers often market books for the Kindle for free for a day or week to boost volume and popularity. Be careful, however. Some of the "free" ones will no longer be free by the time you get around to selecting them, so CHECK the price BEFORE purchasing.
    Dennis E. McFadden, Ex Mainline Baptist (in Remission)
    Atherton Baptist Homes, Alhambra, CA, President/CEO, Retired
    Emmanuel Lutheran Church, LCMS

jambo is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    I was not that keen on a Kindle until my wife bought me one for my birthday. I think it is great. I downloaded the complete works of John Bunyan for just 0.71p and the complete works of Charles Dickens for £2. As Ken said it is a bit harder to go back and forth than a regular book but that apart I would recommend one. Also we are in the early days of the Kindle and things will develop in the days ahead.

One thing I though might be an issue is that with the Kindle you can only download from Amazon whereas with any other e-reader you can download from anywhere except Amazon. However Amazon are the cheapest and biggest store of books, that really is not an issue.
    Stuart
    Finaghy Baptist, Belfast, UK
    In Him the fulness of the Godhead dwells in bodily form and in Him you are complete (Col 2.9-10)

discipulo is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Does Kindle read common Adobe PDF files, and if yes, is it able to search words, resize zoom % view, etc?
    César Proença

there is no will nor running by which we can prepare the way for our salvation, it is wholly of the Divine Mercy Jean Calvin Institutes II . V. 17

Reformed Churches in The Netherlands (liberated) http://www.gkv.nl/main.asp?intTreeviewID=954

Igreja Reformada em Massamá Portugal http://www.igrejareformada.pt

Church Creek Presbyterian, PCA, Charleston, SC. Visiting member http://www.church-creek.org

jambo is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    It does read PDf files and can be resized. Don't know about being searching for words, I don't think it can.
    Stuart
    Finaghy Baptist, Belfast, UK
    In Him the fulness of the Godhead dwells in bodily form and in Him you are complete (Col 2.9-10)
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.