Results 1 to 13 of 13

General discussions discuss Alistair Begg's Theology in the General Forums forums; I've caught this guy probably twice on the radio while on a road trip. The message seemed pretty solid. I read that he was an ...

  1. #1
    bfrank's Avatar
    bfrank is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    145

    Alistair Begg's Theology

    I've caught this guy probably twice on the radio while on a road trip. The message seemed pretty solid. I read that he was an big advocate of Reformed theology. What does that mean? Are you familiar with him? Is he Reformed...am I just smitten by the scottish brogue?

    Any insights...
    Burt Frank II
    Melonie Park Church
    Lubbock, TX

    Veritas Vos Liberabit

    "In all your studies, you must be careful that they are not for your amusement, but for the service of the church of Christ. Those who seek in scholarship nothing more than an honored occupation with which to beguile the tedium of idleness I would compare with those who pass their lives looking at paintings" -John Calvin

  2. #2
    Pilgrim's Avatar
    Pilgrim is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,617
    Quote Originally Posted by bfrank View Post
    I've caught this guy probably twice on the radio while on a road trip. The message seemed pretty solid. I read that he was an big advocate of Reformed theology. What does that mean? Are you familiar with him? Is he Reformed...am I just smitten by the scottish brogue?

    Any insights...
    Well, you probably are smitten by the Scottish brogue.... When I was still unconverted in the late 1990's, Begg was the first evangelical I really listened to, in part no doubt due to that brogue. Begg is a Baptist who is influenced by Reformed theology.
    Chris
    Currently seeking a church--in transition
    One Pilgrims Progress |Twitter

    And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come. Luke 19:13

  3. #3
    Herald's Avatar
    Herald is offline. Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    15,087
    Begg is a Calvinist, that much I do know. I am not sure of his dispensational leanings.
    Bill Brown
    Elder
    Grace Baptist Church
    Student at Midwest Center for Theological Studies


    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

  4. #4
    ReadBavinck's Avatar
    ReadBavinck is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    237
    From the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals
    Alistair Begg is an Alliance Council member and has been in pastoral ministry for 30 years; eight in Scotland following graduation from the London School of Theology, and 22 years at Parkside Church in suburban Cleveland, Ohio. He has written several books and is heard daily across the nation on the radio program, Truth for Life. He was recently awarded an honorary doctorate from Cedarville University. He and his wife, Susan, have been married 30 years and have three children.
    Rev. Christopher Chelpka
    Covenant Orthodox Presbyterian Church, Pastor
    Tucson, AZ

  5. #5
    BJClark is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    6,152
    Bobbi Clark
    Covenant Member
    Pinewood Pres. (PCA) Middleburg

    When I kept Silent, My bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. Psalm 32:3

  6. #6
    SpiritAndTruth's Avatar
    SpiritAndTruth is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    91
    Begg is part of my regular diet of teachings, via the podcasts. He is solid, reformed, Calvinist, and a constant referrer to Puritan divines.

    On a down note, he has a nasty habit of using lyrics from songs of the sixties to illustrate his points. Further, he seems to wrap his reformed message in clothes that will appeal to an audience where a significant portion of it is unsaved.

    Overall, I think he's terrific-- it would be very hard to argue against him theologically. I love the brogue, as well, especially since I am of Scottish descent.

    If you know someone who is just awakening to reformed theology, or brand new to it, Begg's your man...
    Alex Berry

    Husband to Kristy, Father to Hannah, Kendall (twins-11), and James (7).

    First Baptist Church of Boynton Beach
    Boynton Beach, FL

  7. #7
    Blueridge Believer's Avatar
    Blueridge Believer is offline. Puritanboard Professor
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,076
    I listen to him daily on a local radio station here in my area at lunchtime almost everyday.
    Psa 55:16 As for me, I will call upon God; and the LORD shall save me.
    Psa 55:17 Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice.
    James Farley
    Husband of Melissa and father of Ann.
    Grandfather to Owen and Claire
    Member and precentor of Psalms at Grace Reformed Presbyterian, Dublin Va.

  8. #8
    caddy's Avatar
    caddy is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,515

    Question

    I am not entirely sure where you are going with the 60s thing and for certain I am probably misunderstanding your point in the 2nd sentence. Heaven forbid we make the message of the Gospel appealing to our unsaved audience? I am sure you mean something other than what I am interpreting here, so forgive me brother...and help me to see what you really mean.



    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritAndTruth View Post
    On a down note, he has a nasty habit of using lyrics from songs of the sixties to illustrate his points. Further, he seems to wrap his reformed message in clothes that will appeal to an audience where a significant portion of it is unsaved.

  9. #9
    SpiritAndTruth's Avatar
    SpiritAndTruth is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    91
    I am not entirely sure where you are going with the 60s thing and for certain I am probably misunderstanding your point in the 2nd sentence. Heaven forbid we make the message of the Gospel appealing to our unsaved audience? I am sure you mean something other than what I am interpreting here, so forgive me brother...and help me to see what you really mean.
    1) The 60's Thing: All I mean by that, is that, during his sermons, he will frequently quote lyrics from rock songs of the sixties, and say something like, "A great songwriter once wrote: Lean on me, when you're not strong/And I'll be your friend/I'll help you carry on/For it won't be long/'Til I'm gonna need/Somebody to lean on'". Now, there is nothing that I can see that is intrinsically wrong with that, necessarily, but I wish he would refrain from using lyrics from a musical genre that we all know to be as ungodly as possible. Hey, lots of us are products from the sixties, and we can all relate to that kind of material-- I would simply wish he would keep references to The Rollong Stones, The Beatles (who he quotes frequently), and others (Bill Withers mentioned above) OUT of the pulpit. There is a place for it, but I don't believe the pulpit is the appropriate place to make an analogy like that.

    2) Message Directed To The Unsaved Thing: I agree with you, brother-- heaven forbid that we would water down God's word in ANY way to make it more "palatable" to the unsaved-- and I didn't mean to say that Begg does that. He still delivers the unbridled truth (like I say, I am a fan of his), but I suspect in the WAY that he delivers the unbridled truth, that there are many unsaved in the pews of Parkside. So, there appears to be (and this is JUST my opinion) an ever-so-slight "apologetic" tone in his voice-- almost like "You're not gonna like what I'm about to say, but I'm gonna say it anyway..."

    Does that make sense, or help clarify what I mean to you?

    Again, let me state for the record, so there is no confusion:

    I like Alistair Begg. I think he is good for the Kingdom. I think his message is solid. And, he is a part of my daily diet of teachings.

    I recommend him to those who are new to Reformed Theology.

    I hope this helps.
    Alex Berry

    Husband to Kristy, Father to Hannah, Kendall (twins-11), and James (7).

    First Baptist Church of Boynton Beach
    Boynton Beach, FL

  10. #10
    non dignus is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    854
    He's funny and entertaining. He's really got the 'gift of gab'. His forte is common-sensical truths. I wouldn't say he's a Calvinist; maybe a Spurgeonist.
    David Cronkhite, Elder
    Pasadena United Reformed Church

    "I count myself one of the number of those
    who write as they learn, and learn as they write."

  11. #11
    non dignus is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by non dignus View Post
    He's funny and entertaining. He's really got the 'gift of gab'. His forte is common-sensical truths. I wouldn't say he's a Calvinist; maybe a Spurgeonist.
    He's a better man than I.
    David Cronkhite, Elder
    Pasadena United Reformed Church

    "I count myself one of the number of those
    who write as they learn, and learn as they write."

  12. #12
    caddy's Avatar
    caddy is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,515
    Crystal

    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritAndTruth View Post
    1) The 60's Thing: All I mean by that, is that, during his sermons, he will frequently quote lyrics from rock songs of the sixties, and say something like, "A great songwriter once wrote: Lean on me, when you're not strong/And I'll be your friend/I'll help you carry on/For it won't be long/'Til I'm gonna need/Somebody to lean on'". Now, there is nothing that I can see that is intrinsically wrong with that, necessarily, but I wish he would refrain from using lyrics from a musical genre that we all know to be as ungodly as possible. Hey, lots of us are products from the sixties, and we can all relate to that kind of material-- I would simply wish he would keep references to The Rollong Stones, The Beatles (who he quotes frequently), and others (Bill Withers mentioned above) OUT of the pulpit. There is a place for it, but I don't believe the pulpit is the appropriate place to make an analogy like that.

    2) Message Directed To The Unsaved Thing: I agree with you, brother-- heaven forbid that we would water down God's word in ANY way to make it more "palatable" to the unsaved-- and I didn't mean to say that Begg does that. He still delivers the unbridled truth (like I say, I am a fan of his), but I suspect in the WAY that he delivers the unbridled truth, that there are many unsaved in the pews of Parkside. So, there appears to be (and this is JUST my opinion) an ever-so-slight "apologetic" tone in his voice-- almost like "You're not gonna like what I'm about to say, but I'm gonna say it anyway..."

    Does that make sense, or help clarify what I mean to you?

    Again, let me state for the record, so there is no confusion:

    I like Alistair Begg. I think he is good for the Kingdom. I think his message is solid. And, he is a part of my daily diet of teachings.

    I recommend him to those who are new to Reformed Theology.

    I hope this helps.

  13. #13
    MrMerlin777's Avatar
    MrMerlin777 is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,168
    I have found him edifying durring my morning drives down the crowded I5 to work in Everett WA.
    Donald Jacobs
    Roanoke VA.
    Covenant Reformed Episcopal Church.

    Cum vero infirmor tunc potens sum.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72