See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Preaching discuss Young Gospel Centered Preacher for Youth Camp? in the The Church forums; O.K., question: If you were helping to locate a "Camp Pastor" for a fairly large 5 day youth camp, who was gospel centered, could relate ...

  1. #1
    Damon Rambo's Avatar
    Damon Rambo is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    522

    Young Gospel Centered Preacher for Youth Camp?

    O.K., question: If you were helping to locate a "Camp Pastor" for a fairly large 5 day youth camp, who was gospel centered, could relate to the youth (probably a "younger" guy, though not necessarily, if they are good at engaging younger folks), who would be the top people on your list? I've thought about guys like Kevin DeYoung, and David Platt...who else can you think of?

    Administrators: I assume this is the correct place for this thread...if its not, feel free to move it. Just let me know where!
    Damon Rambo
    Southern Baptist Convention
    First Baptist Church Markham, Texas
    Senior Pastor

    My Facebook Page...welcome to add me!

  2. #2
    Edward's Avatar
    Edward is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,888
    If you want to aim high, Tim Tinsley, First Presbyterian, Chattanooga.
    Edward
    Deacon
    PCA
    Texas

  3. #3
    Andres's Avatar
    Andres is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,498
    Paul Washer! Haven't you heard The Shocking Youth Message?!
    Andrew Silva
    RE OPC (currently not serving)
    Dallas Reformed Presbyterian Church (RPCNA)
    North Dallas

    My blog - Lose Your Life
    Follow me - Twitter

    He is your friend who pushes you nearer to God. - Abraham Kuyper

  4. #4
    Rufus's Avatar
    Rufus is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    Paul Washer! Haven't you heard The Shocking Youth Message?!
    I think he wants a younger guy hence the "young gospel centered preacher", Paul Washer is in his 40's.
    Sean
    Layman, First Presbyterian Church of Concord New Hampshire (PCA)
    Hillsborough, New Hampshire

  5. #5
    Herald's Avatar
    Herald is offline. Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    15,088
    Damon, drawing on my background as a Word of Life camper and bible institute student, I found that the celebrity preachers were not necessarily the better preachers. Give me a man who has a love for the Gospel, and a fervent desire to see sinners converted. That type of man will be able to transcend generational lines.
    Bill Brown
    Elder
    Grace Baptist Church
    Student at Midwest Center for Theological Studies


    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

  6. #6
    Damon Rambo's Avatar
    Damon Rambo is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by Herald View Post
    Damon, drawing on my background as a Word of Life camper and bible institute student, I found that the celebrity preachers were not necessarily the better preachers. Give me a man who has a love for the Gospel, and a fervent desire to see sinners converted. That type of man will be able to transcend generational lines.
    I would agree with you to some extent. However, I don't think being a well known preacher excludes a person from being a man with a "love for the gospel and a fervent desire to see sinners converted." Also, I think typically men like (looking at some of my favorites), Paul Washer, Mark Dever, and such, became popular in certain circles BECAUSE of a love for the Gospel, and a desire to see sinners converted.

    Also, I am at the bottom of a totem pole. A more well known pastor is easier to vet (you can watch there sermons on DVD, research any controversies, etc.), whereas with a lesser known individual, you are not as able to ascertain their qualifications, abilities, and genuineness.
    Damon Rambo
    Southern Baptist Convention
    First Baptist Church Markham, Texas
    Senior Pastor

    My Facebook Page...welcome to add me!

  7. #7
    JonathanHunt's Avatar
    JonathanHunt is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Damon Rambo View Post

    Also, I am at the bottom of a totem pole. A more well known pastor is easier to vet (you can watch there sermons on DVD, research any controversies, etc.), whereas with a lesser known individual, you are not as able to ascertain their qualifications, abilities, and genuineness.
    AS I understand it, the lower you are on a totem pole, the higher your place of honour. At least, that's what I learned from watching NCIS.
    Jonathan Hunt

    Pastor, Morton Baptist Church Thornbury, South Gloucestershire, United Kingdom since 2012

    Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence. -- Thomas Elsworth

    *Please note* I've been a member of this board for over ten years. Things I wrote in 2004 and intervening years do not neccessarily represent my attitudes or positions now. Thank you!
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Herald's Avatar
    Herald is offline. Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    15,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Damon Rambo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Herald View Post
    Damon, drawing on my background as a Word of Life camper and bible institute student, I found that the celebrity preachers were not necessarily the better preachers. Give me a man who has a love for the Gospel, and a fervent desire to see sinners converted. That type of man will be able to transcend generational lines.
    I would agree with you to some extent. However, I don't think being a well known preacher excludes a person from being a man with a "love for the gospel and a fervent desire to see sinners converted." Also, I think typically men like (looking at some of my favorites), Paul Washer, Mark Dever, and such, became popular in certain circles BECAUSE of a love for the Gospel, and a desire to see sinners converted.

    Also, I am at the bottom of a totem pole. A more well known pastor is easier to vet (you can watch there sermons on DVD, research any controversies, etc.), whereas with a lesser known individual, you are not as able to ascertain their qualifications, abilities, and genuineness.
    Damon, I certainly am not suggesting a well known pastor should be excluded. My only point is that generational boundaries can be crossed by any preacher who has a love for, and can clearly articulate the Gospel. If this hypothetical camp has a budget, why not save some money and have a local pastor preach? Just a thought.
    Bill Brown
    Elder
    Grace Baptist Church
    Student at Midwest Center for Theological Studies


    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

  9. #9
    Jack K's Avatar
    Jack K is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,671
    Of the names that have come up, Kevin DeYoung would probably be my first choice.

    But when I list the factors you've mentioned...
    - Gospel centered
    - Dynamic speaker
    - Heart for youth
    - Baptist (presumably a plus for you)
    ...then the celebrity-level name that comes to mind is Art Azurdia. Don't know if he currently does conferences, though.

    I also agree that your best choice may not be a celebrity-level speaker. But I understand how getting one of those guys lessens some of the uncertainty.
    Jack K.
    PCA, worshiping with some fine Baptists in Colorado
    Gospel Teacher website
    Show Them Jesus: Teaching the Gospel to Kids

  10. #10
    Damon Rambo's Avatar
    Damon Rambo is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by Herald View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Damon Rambo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Herald View Post
    Damon, drawing on my background as a Word of Life camper and bible institute student, I found that the celebrity preachers were not necessarily the better preachers. Give me a man who has a love for the Gospel, and a fervent desire to see sinners converted. That type of man will be able to transcend generational lines.
    I would agree with you to some extent. However, I don't think being a well known preacher excludes a person from being a man with a "love for the gospel and a fervent desire to see sinners converted." Also, I think typically men like (looking at some of my favorites), Paul Washer, Mark Dever, and such, became popular in certain circles BECAUSE of a love for the Gospel, and a desire to see sinners converted.

    Also, I am at the bottom of a totem pole. A more well known pastor is easier to vet (you can watch there sermons on DVD, research any controversies, etc.), whereas with a lesser known individual, you are not as able to ascertain their qualifications, abilities, and genuineness.
    Damon, I certainly am not suggesting a well known pastor should be excluded. My only point is that generational boundaries can be crossed by any preacher who has a love for, and can clearly articulate the Gospel. If this hypothetical camp has a budget, why not save some money and have a local pastor preach? Just a thought.
    The camp is actually not hypothetical; it is an actual camp. I cannot share the name here, though. As far as the other, in the world of Youth Camps, there is a plethora of choices. The average Youth pastor, faced with a choice between two camps, one with an unknown pastor, and one with a well-established ministry, is going to pick the latter. This is not any different than us. If there were two special conferences in your area tomorrow, and one was Al Mohler Jr., or R.C. Sproul, and the other was "Brother Bob," we would likely choose to go to see the person that we do not ordinarily get to see.

    Also, the primary participants in this camp are SBC'ers. I personally would like to draw them in with a well known name, in order to introduce them to, well, solid theology. There is HUGE competition in the Youth Camp realm. And if you have "brother Bob," while the other camp has Andy Stanley ((((Shudder!!)))), they are going to go to the other camp, and leave you there with facilities for close to a thousand campers, and no campers to fill them.
    Damon Rambo
    Southern Baptist Convention
    First Baptist Church Markham, Texas
    Senior Pastor

    My Facebook Page...welcome to add me!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72