See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Preaching discuss Reformation Distinctives - RPW, Sacraments, etc. in the The Church forums; A few weeks back, the Pastor began a sermon series on Reformation Distinctives for those new to the Reformed faith or those who have grown ...

Joshua is offline. _
    Blog Entries

Reformation Distinctives - RPW, Sacraments, etc.

A few weeks back, the Pastor began a sermon series on Reformation Distinctives for those new to the Reformed faith or those who have grown up in a Reformed church but possibly haven't quite owned it for themselves just yet in the sense of knowing all the *why's* of the what's we do. The purpose, of course, is to guard against an implicit faith amongst Christians. There will be several different subjects addressed and the series is scheduled indefinitely. To be included will be things like the Regulative Principal of Worship and other Reformed "Hot Topics." The very first is an introductory sermon relating broadly to the series. I am listing the first several here, but check back at Christ Covenant Reformed Presbyterian Church: Audio-Sermons for subsequent sermons. I trust they will prove helpful:

http://www.christcovenantrpc.org/Sit.../022711S-P.mp3
    http://www.christcovenantrpc.org/Sit.../030611S-P.mp3
    http://www.christcovenantrpc.org/Sit.../031311S-P.mp3
    http://www.christcovenantrpc.org/Sit.../032011S-P.mp3
    http://www.christcovenantrpc.org/Sit.../041011S-P.mp3
    http://www.christcovenantrpc.org/Sit.../041711S-P.mp3
    Josh
    CCRPC, RPCGA
    For God will save Zion, and will build the cities of Judah: that they may dwell there, and have it in
    possession. The seed also of his servants shall inherit it: and they that love his name shall dwell
    therein.- Ps. 69
    3 member(s) found this post helpful.

Joshua is offline. _
    Blog Entries
    This sermon series is still going strong and this afternoon's sermon was the first installment pertaining to objections to exclusive Psalmody. If you're interested in learning more about the Regulative Principle, and also why Psalm singers make the more narrow application of that principle to Psalms being the only authorized praise, I would encourage you to listen to this series, beginning with those listed above if you haven't already. I really appreciated the warm & charitable introduction (after quotations) that the Pastor gave in this sermon pertaining to our non EP brethren:

So here we embark, then, on a series of refutations to exception and criticisms [of] Exclusive Psalmody. [L]et me begin, by saying this first, before we move on: We now embark on a portion of our study that is most unpleasant. That of handling objections with our brethren, many of whom we hold the dearest things of the Christian faith in common. A proper view of the Godhead. A proper view of sin and holiness. A proper view and biblical understanding of the gospel and its historical and modern perversions. A proper view of Scripture, inspiration, authority, the Law, very similar understanding of our standards [Westminster]. It is with these kinds of folks we're disagreeing here, and it is not a pleasant task. However, I believe it's necessary and that's why we're undertaking it. But it is not pleasant. In the midst of these similarities - in our denomination especially - we have allowed for certain practices where we might differ from our beloved brethren. However, thankfully, our denomination has not stifled debate on these matters of "liberty" and, rather, we encourage healthy debate on these matters. One of the worst things we might do is to slink off to our own several corners, never challenging one another on our distinctive views.
    I hope this will prove edifying to you this sabbath day:

http://www.christcovenantrpc.org/Sit.../071011S-P.mp3
    Josh
    CCRPC, RPCGA
    For God will save Zion, and will build the cities of Judah: that they may dwell there, and have it in
    possession. The seed also of his servants shall inherit it: and they that love his name shall dwell
    therein.- Ps. 69

NaphtaliPress is offline. Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Josh, do you have some kind of outline for the RPW series on what ground each sermon covers?
    Chris Coldwell, Lakewood Presbyterian Church (PCA), Dallas, Texas.
    • Naphtali Press: Presbyterian & Reformed Books
    • Westminster Letter Press
    The Confessional Presbyterian Journal
    The Blue Banner Archive
    Calvin in the Hands of the Philistines: Did Calvin Bowl on the Sabbath?
    The Regulative Principle: The Scriptures are the “only infallible rule of faith and practice, no rite or ceremony ought to have a place in the public worship of God, which is not warranted in Scripture, either by direct precept or example, or by good and sufficient inference” (Samuel Miller).
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Joining PB's Politics & Government Forum

Joshua is offline. _
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, Chris, I don't have that handy; however, I'll see if I can provide that in time (maybe extract the points from the Pastor's notes).

Off hand, I can say that the first sermon was an introductory sermon on Reformation Distinctives, then the next was a look at the basic premise of the RPW. We began to drill down further and the pastor took us through a survey of the use of song/music in the OT, then the NT. That's a very generalized overview.
    Josh
    CCRPC, RPCGA
    therein.- Ps. 69

Croghanite is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Do you have the references the Preacher speaks of in min. 13?
    Joe
    Christ Bible Church
    Pageland, SC

Joshua is offline. _
    Blog Entries
    Dear Mr. Joe, I've sent you a private message.
    Josh
    CCRPC, RPCGA
    therein.- Ps. 69

Joshua is offline. _
    Blog Entries
    After a hiatus in the evening sermons we have returned back to our Reformation Distinctives series, and this past afternoon we began looking at why we believe coming to a table for the Lord's Supper is important. There are a few minutes of review and off-topic stuff (relating to future sermons), but it picks back up at approximately the 16 minute mark, I believe:

The Sacraments of the Church, Pt. 12 - The Lord's Supper (Why We Come to a Table)
    Josh
    CCRPC, RPCGA
    therein.- Ps. 69