See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Preaching discuss A Lesson in Homiletical Instruction in the The Church forums; ...

Wayne is offline. Tempus faciendi, Domine.

A Lesson in Homiletical Instruction

Would have posted in the Entertainment section, but it is still closed for the Sabbath.

This is from today's entry over on This Day in Presbyterian History, and concerns the ministry of Dr. Charles Nisbet [1736-1804]:

For a time, he served as the pastor of the First Presbyterian church on the square of Carlisle, in addition to his educational responsibilities. Once during that ministry, a woman of the congregation announced to him that she thought she could preach as well as he did. So Dr. Nisbet told her that before she would be allowed into the pulpit, she would have to know how to preach. She readily agreed, and was instructed that the average sermon had an introduction, a three point outline, and an application. When she asked him for a text, he responded with Proverbs 21:9, which states, “It is better to dwell in the corner of the housetop, then with a brawling woman in a wide house.” The woman was indignant, asking whether the pastor thought she was such a woman. Dr. Nisbet replied, “Oh my dear, you are already at the application. You must go back first and deal with the introduction.”
    Wayne Sparkman, Th.M., C.A.
    Director, PCA Historical Center, St. Louis, MO
    Blogs: The Continuing Story and This Day in Presbyterian History
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

"Remember, it is not hasty reading, but serious meditating upon holy and heavenly truths, that make them prove sweet and profitable to the soul...It is not he that reads most , but he that meditates most, that will prove the choicest, sweetest, wisest and strongest Christian." - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680) [HT: Hamalas]
    4 member(s) found this post helpful.

Unoriginalname is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Eric

Member of Northeast Community Church (PCA)
    Attending Covenant Reformed Church (URCNA)
    Scranton, PA

17 Beware lest you say in your heart, ‘My power and the might of my hand have gotten me this wealth.’ 18You shall remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you power to get wealth, that he may confirm his covenant that he swore to your fathers, as it is this day. Deuteronomy 8

Pilgrim Standard is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Benjamin
    Member - Presbyterian Reformed Church, Columbus, Indiana

“In death it will be your joy that ye have ventured all ye have for Christ; and there is not a promise of heaven made but to such as are willing to suffer for it. It is a castle taken by force.”. — Samuel Rutherford

KSon is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Would have posted in the Entertainment section, but it is still closed for the Sabbath.

This is from today's entry over on This Day in Presbyterian History, and concerns the ministry of Dr. Charles Nisbet [1736-1804]:

For a time, he served as the pastor of the First Presbyterian church on the square of Carlisle, in addition to his educational responsibilities. Once during that ministry, a woman of the congregation announced to him that she thought she could preach as well as he did. So Dr. Nisbet told her that before she would be allowed into the pulpit, she would have to know how to preach. She readily agreed, and was instructed that the average sermon had an introduction, a three point outline, and an application. When she asked him for a text, he responded with Proverbs 21:9, which states, “It is better to dwell in the corner of the housetop, then with a brawling woman in a wide house.” The woman was indignant, asking whether the pastor thought she was such a woman. Dr. Nisbet replied, “Oh my dear, you are already at the application. You must go back first and deal with the introduction.”
    I have been profiting greatly from this devotional. I strongly encourage subscribing...

It is important to add that the profit is above and beyond the homiletical sharpening.
    Last edited by KSon; 01-19-2012 at 07:13 AM.
    Kipp Soncek
    Pastor/Elder
    Bethel Baptist Church
    Illinois

But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light--1 Peter 2:9

Herald is offline. Moderator

Wayne, your understated sense of humor is just what the doctor ordered.
    Bill Brown
    Elder
    Grace Baptist Church
    Student at Midwest Center for Theological Studies

SolaScriptura is offline. Puritanboard Softy
    That was great!

What I found interesting, though, was the part about a sermon consisting of an intro, a three-point outline, and application... when did the 3-point model come into being?
    Ben
    Chaplain, US Army
    Stuttgart, Germany
    TE Potomac Presbytery, PCA
    www.thebenaddiction.com

"Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, 'would an idiot do that?' And if they would, I do not do that thing." -- Dwight Schrute

"I've been so thoroughly trained that I don't even need to think before I speak." -- Harry Crumb

BobVigneault is offline. Bawberator
    Now THAT'S entertainment. Thanks for the laugh.
    When it comes to havoc, I WREAK!
    Bob Vigneault
    Seventy And Fourteen (blog)
    The Heartbeat of Heaven (blog)
    Spiritual Warfare (blog)
    Member, Grace Evangelical Free Church (Reforming!), Afton, WI

AThornquist is offline. Puritanboard Doctor