See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Preaching discuss How Pastors Should Dress in the Pulpit in the The Church forums; I've noticed that several times there have been discussions of how a pastor should dress in the pulpit (including talk of Robes and suits and ...

sdesocio is offline. Puritanboard Freshman

How Pastors Should Dress in the Pulpit

I've noticed that several times there have been discussions of how a pastor should dress in the pulpit (including talk of Robes and suits and more casual attire). While I've chimed in a few times, I've boiled down a lot of the different pros and cons that people have made on this site and others, and finally written something about the topic. I thought I would share that article on here in hopes of unpacking the the subject even more.

Why is the Pastor Wearing That?! (A Examination of Dress in the Pulpit)
    Pastor S. DeSocio
    Pittsburgh Presbytery - PCA
    3 member(s) found this post helpful.

rbcbob is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    Thanks for the thought provoking link.
    Bob, RBC Louisville. 1689 LBCF

Forum Rules - Signature Requirements

Pergamum is offline. Ordinary Guy (TM)
    Nice little article.
    Pergamum

"If a commission by an earthly king is considered a honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?"
    -- David Livingstone

sdesocio is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Thanks.
    Pastor S. DeSocio
    Pittsburgh Presbytery - PCA

Jack K is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by sdesocio View Post
    How Pastors Should Dress in the Pulpit
    I think pastors should dress at home before they get to church, not in the pulpit.

Seriously though, that's an interesting little article, with a hilarious photo at the start. Worth clicking just for that. And for extra credit, name the five pastors pictured as examples of the various forms of dress.
    Jack K.
    PCA, worshiping with some fine Baptists in Colorado
    Gospel Teacher website
    Show Them Jesus: Teaching the Gospel to Kids
    5 member(s) found this post helpful.

MarieP is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    You forgot the "jacket and tie but the jacket's taken off a little into the sermon" look. And the tie underneath the sweater-vest look.
    MarieP
    Reformed Baptist Church
    Louisville, KY

"I am not worthy of the least of all the mercies and of all the truth which You have shown Your servant" (Gen. 32:10)
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

Marrow Man is offline. Drunk with Powder
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack K View Post
    And for extra credit, name the five pastors pictured as examples of the various forms of dress.
    There are actually 6 (the guy with the rainbow robe at the beginning). I can only get 3 of the remaining 5 (the same 5 everybody else on the PB can get).
    Tim Phillips
    Pastor, Midlane Park Presbyterian Church (ARP)
    Louisville, KY
    Husband of Scottish Lass
    Father of Grace Cameron Phillips
    My Blog: Gairney Bridge
    My Facebook/My Avatar

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Backwoods Presbyterian is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries
    That is why the robe is the great equalizer. You can wear 2-5 underneath.
    Rev. Benjamin P. Glaser, M. Div, ARP
    Pastor, Ellisville Presbyterian Church, ARP
    Ellisville, Mississippi

‎‎"Ministers of the Gospel, when dispensing the truths of God, must preach home to their own souls, as well as unto others. Sir's, we do not deliver truths or doctrines to you, wherein we ourselves have no manner of concern. No, our own souls are at the stake, and shall either perish or be saved eternally, as we receive or reject these precious truths which we deliver unto you. And truly, it can never be expected that we will apply the truths of God with any warmth or liveliness unto others, unless we first make a warm application thereof to our own souls. And if we do not feed upon these doctrines, and practise these duties, which we deliver to and inculcate upon you, though we preach unto others, we ourselves are but castaways." -- Ebenezer Erskine, "The Assurance of Faith", pg. 8

Deo Vindice

Andres is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    And for extra credit, name the five pastors pictured as examples of the various forms of dress.
    who was the casual one?
    Andrew Silva
    RE OPC (currently not serving)
    Dallas Reformed Presbyterian Church (RPCNA)
    North Dallas

My blog - Lose Your Life
    Follow me - Twitter

He is your friend who pushes you nearer to God. - Abraham Kuyper

Philip is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    I noticed that clericals weren't mentioned, which may just be because Reformed folks in the US don't do them (though I have been to one or two PCA churches where the pastor wore them).
    Philip
    Student at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    Attending Christ the Redeemer Church (Anglican)
    Member at Potomac Hills Presbyterian Church (PCA) Leesburg, VA

If you run your mouse over the photos, you will see the name of the pastor in the URL line.

I can't believe I missed #2. Ironically, I thought the pulpit/lectern looked familiar (and it was), but I had only seen the pastor w/o a suit and didn't recognize him. Also interesting that his predecessor wore a robe and he does not.
    Tim Phillips
    Louisville, KY
    Husband of Scottish Lass
    My Facebook/My Avatar

Rich Koster is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Blog Entries
    Good read. I get quite irritated when I hear someone go on a " a Christian must dress like this " rant.
    Rich Koster
    Browns Mills NJ USA
    Member of Covenant Baptist, Lumberton NJ (1689ers)
    http://cbclumberton.wordpress.com/

Thankful that I'm not saved by merit badges
    Romans 7:14-25
    2 member(s) found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrow Man View Post
    If you run your mouse over the photos, you will see the name of the pastor in the URL line.

I can't believe I missed #2. Ironically, I thought the pulpit/lectern looked familiar (and it was), but I had only seen the pastor w/o a suit and didn't recognize him. Also interesting that his predecessor wore a robe and he does not.
    who in the world is Darrin Patrick?
    Andrew Silva
    North Dallas

My blog - Lose Your Life
    Follow me - Twitter

Jack K is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    I couldn't get #4. I wasn't quite sure about #2, but guessed correctly.
    Jack K.
    PCA, worshiping with some fine Baptists in Colorado
    Gospel Teacher website
    Show Them Jesus: Teaching the Gospel to Kids

I suppose it doesn't hurt that #1, 2, 3, and 5 would be somewhere in the reformed camp. I'm not sure if that applies to # 4.
    Tim Phillips
    Louisville, KY
    Husband of Scottish Lass
    My Facebook/My Avatar

I suppose it doesn't hurt that #1, 2, 3, and 5 would be somewhere in the reformed camp. I'm not sure if that applies to # 4.
    I guess that's why I have no clue who he is.
    Andrew Silva
    North Dallas

My blog - Lose Your Life
    Follow me - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    I guess that's why I have no clue who he is.
    He was interviewed by John Piper, he went to Covenant Seminary, and his book is featured on the Gospel Coalition website, so I'd say there is a good probability that he is reformed.
    Tim Phillips
    Louisville, KY
    Husband of Scottish Lass
    My Facebook/My Avatar

Jeff Kerr is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post

who in the world is Darrin Patrick?
    Darrin Patrick is pastor of The Journey - an Acts 29 church in St. Louis, MO.
    Jeff Kerr
    Associate Pastor
    Crestwood Presbyterian Church (PCA)
    Edmonton, AB, Canada

LawrenceU is offline. Puritanboard Doctor

I knew who #2 was and thought it very interesting to see how he was dressed in light of his predecessor as well. I actually didn't know him by face, but by the unique pulpit.
    'There's nae jouking in the cause of Christ' - James Guthrie

We shall not adjust our Bible to the age; but before we have done with it, by God's grace, we shall adjust the age to the Bible. - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    Pastor - Providence Family Fellowship / Mobile, Alabama
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice

He was interviewed by John Piper, he went to Covenant Seminary, and his book is featured on the Gospel Coalition website, so I'd say there is a good probability that he is reformed.
    Really?
    Philip

FenderPriest is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Btw, there's a chapter/addendum in Christ-Centered Preaching: Redeeming the Expository Sermon (2nd Edition) by Bryan Chapell on this very subject. Not with pictures or cultural analysis, but his own thoughts and reasoning on the what's and why's of pastoral dress in the pulpit.
    Jacob
    Sovereign Grace Ministries
    Pastoral Intern
    King of Grace Church
    Manchester, NH

"Grace renews nature; glory perfects grace." ~ John Owen
    "Grace tried is better than grace, and more than grace. It is glory in its infancy." ~ John Flavel
    A Living Oak - Growing In Christ (blog)

lynnie is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    I will only make one comment, but I hope you pastors take it to heart.

You have no idea how selfish and wrong it seems to a lot of women and mothers who go to church in the summer, when it is boiling hot, and the pastor is dressed for Antarctica in long black sleeves or a robe over his clothes, and he sets the air conditioning to his personal comfort zone. The kids have on short sleeves and light clothes, and maybe Mom is in a light cotton/rayon dress, or thin skirt and top, and everybody is chilly and whispering how cold it is. I've been in churches over the years where the pastor looks like he is ready to go climb Everest and the kids are freezing. I remember summer Sundays where I'd grab a couple sweaters just in case, and I'd sit there freezing because the little girls nearby begged to wear them.

Please, if it is hot summer, set the air conditioning for people in normal short sleeve shirts, and then plan your own dress accordingly. Some of us would rather see you in shorts and T shirts than have you turn the sanctuary into a refrigerator just so you can wear all your long sleeved black duds. It just makes you look selfish and insensitive.
    Lynnie

Attending Maranatha Christian Fellowship

Central NJ
    5 member(s) found this post helpful.

Edward is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    I'm surprised that he wears a suit. I would have though he would have been more casual.

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    Please, if it is hot summer, set the air conditioning for people in normal short sleeve shirts, and then plan your own dress accordingly.
    I favor cold air conditioning to encourage modesty in dress. And low ceiling fans, to keep hands from waving in the air.
    Edward
    Deacon
    PCA
    Texas
    3 member(s) found this post helpful.

Damon Rambo is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by P. F. Pugh View Post
    Really?
    Darrin Patrick is indeed reformed, depending on how you use that word. He is reformed ala Matt Chandelier, John Piper, etc., NOT reformed in terms of the WCF...
    Damon Rambo
    Southern Baptist Convention
    First Baptist Church Markham, Texas
    Senior Pastor

My Facebook Page...welcome to add me!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    I will only make one comment, but I hope you pastors take it to heart.

You have no idea how selfish and wrong it seems to a lot of women and mothers who go to church in the summer, when it is boiling hot, and the pastor is dressed for Antarctica in long black sleeves or a robe over his clothes, and he sets the air conditioning to his personal comfort zone. The kids have on short sleeves and light clothes, and maybe Mom is in a light cotton/rayon dress, or thin skirt and top, and everybody is chilly and whispering how cold it is. I've been in churches over the years where the pastor looks like he is ready to go climb Everest and the kids are freezing. I remember summer Sundays where I'd grab a couple sweaters just in case, and I'd sit there freezing because the little girls nearby begged to wear them.

Please, if it is hot summer, set the air conditioning for people in normal short sleeve shirts, and then plan your own dress accordingly. Some of us would rather see you in shorts and T shirts than have you turn the sanctuary into a refrigerator just so you can wear all your long sleeved black duds. It just makes you look selfish and insensitive.
    Lynnie, I've been known to endure rather sweltering temperatures in the summer time. I've even been known to take off the jacket because I've gotten overheated. But there are a couple of amusing anecdotes that your post brings to mind:

1) Last summer I finally discovered exactly why I got so hot during the service. Someone had closed all the vents (in the ceiling) that were located in the pulpit area. So, for the last three summers while I've been at this church, I've basically been operating with zero A/C in the immediate area.

2) Last Sunday evening, one of our congregants brought in a space heater for him and his wife. I asked why and he said it was freezing in the sanctuary that morning. I asked why he didn't say anything and that we could have turned up the heat, and he said that I complained recently at how hot I had gotten during a service. So, that whole pastoral insensitivity thing can apparently occur during the winter months as well.
    Tim Phillips
    Louisville, KY
    Husband of Scottish Lass
    My Facebook/My Avatar

Scottish Lass is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Lynnie, I flip my wardrobe---I wear my lighter clothes in the winter because I find the sanctuary too hot (to please our thin-blooded older congregation) and I get chilled with any AC blowing on me, so that's when I layer up.
    Anna
    Wife of Tim/Marrow Man
    Mother of Grace Cameron
    Louisville, KY
    Member of Midlane Park Presbyterian (Associate Reformed Presbyterian)

He who does not hate the false does not love the true ~ Spurgeon

Updates on Gracie: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/gracephillips2010

Jerusalem Blade is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    Blog Entries
    Given my druthers I would dress as I would if I knew persecution was coming during the service or right after and we had to head for the mountains and wilderness. However, I would get too much flack from my fashion advisor for that to be worthwhile, and so I dress close to the "business casual" style, unless asked to preach in a more formal church (with a tie), and there I would conform.
    Steve Rafalsky
    Member, Queens Presbyterian Church, Astoria (PCA)
    Queens, New York
    USA

"I am set for the defense of the gospel" (Philippians 1:17)

"Strengthened with all might, according to His glorious
    power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness...
    " (Colossians 1:11)

Jerusalem Blade's PB Blog; Collected Textual Posts, Eschatology, and Misc.
    Lightning Sword: Journal of the Apokalypse

Moireach is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    The collar didn't get a mention?
    David Murray
    Member, Reformed Presbyterian Church of Scotland
    Glasgow, Scotland

Youtube - my A Capella Psalm singing channel
    flickr
    facebook
    Reformed sermons from Scotland

C. M. Sheffield is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Blog Entries
    I would have labelled the fourth style as the "I-haven't-learned-to-shave-or comb-my-hear Style." I dress casually throughout the week. But would't go out of the house looking like that.

Blog Entries
    I may be old and grumpy but I have never understood how the "I look like I just rolled out bed and left the car shop" look is cool.
    Ellisville, Mississippi

‎‎"Ministers of the Gospel, when dispensing the truths of God, must preach home to their own souls, as well as unto others. Sir's, we do not deliver truths or doctrines to you, wherein we ourselves have no manner of concern. No, our own souls are at the stake, and shall either perish or be saved eternally, as we receive or reject these precious truths which we deliver unto you. And truly, it can never be expected that we will apply the truths of God with any warmth or liveliness unto others, unless we first make a warm application thereof to our own souls. And if we do not feed upon these doctrines, and practise these duties, which we deliver to and inculcate upon you, though we preach unto others, we ourselves are but castaways." -- Ebenezer Erskine, "The Assurance of Faith", pg. 8

Deo Vindice
    4 member(s) found this post helpful.

Ivan is offline. Pastor
    I wear a jacket, dress pants and a tie when I preach. When I don't preach and go to church I wear a jacket, dress pants and a tie.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Ivan Schoen ~ [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]The Church in [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Poplar Grove, IL[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]=================================[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [LEFT][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]"As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives." ~ Henry David Thoreau[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][/LEFT]
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

21st Century Calvinist is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Moireach View Post
    The collar didn't get a mention?
    David,
    Amongst Reformed types here in North America a clerical collar is not very common. Even in Scotland it seems much less common now than it used to be.
    Donnie MacLeod, MDiv
    Intern @ Crossroads Presbyterian Fellowship (PCA), Maplewood, MO
    Covenant Seminary Grad- seeking a call

You filled my heart with greater joy
    than others may have found
    As they rejoiced at harvest time,
    when grain and wine abound.Ps 4:7, Sing Psalms 2003

Moireach is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    True Donnie.
    A debate for Free Church ministers just now is actually whether the wearing of a collar is adding to scripture?
    Some wear it I think to be distinct from the congregation - though I know little of the topic - but some wear suit, shirt and tie, which is often the same as the congregation.
    I know that my own minister sometimes wears it when he goes out in Glasgow and is often stopped for conversation with random people (often catholics I think).
    Any thoughts on this?
    David Murray
    Member, Reformed Presbyterian Church of Scotland
    Glasgow, Scotland

Youtube - my A Capella Psalm singing channel
    flickr
    facebook
    Reformed sermons from Scotland

21st Century Calvinist is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Well Kenny does wear the same style of collar as a RC priest wears! If it causes people to ask questions about Christianity or ask for prayer then that is a good thing.
    Personally, I don't see it as adding to Scripture. I am perfectly happy for a minister to wear a collar and/or gown. In fact, I see it as quite appropriate for leading the people of God in worship.
    Donnie MacLeod, MDiv
    Intern @ Crossroads Presbyterian Fellowship (PCA), Maplewood, MO
    Covenant Seminary Grad- seeking a call

You filled my heart with greater joy
    than others may have found
    As they rejoiced at harvest time,
    when grain and wine abound.Ps 4:7, Sing Psalms 2003

Blog Entries
    It is a sad statement in our culture and in the church (in my estimation) that informality has become virtue and formality has become vice.
    Ellisville, Mississippi

Deo Vindice

SolaScriptura is offline. Puritanboard Softy
    I used to think "Geneva gown, baby" but over time I've come to a more "whatever is contextually appropriate" type of thing. Let me say though - vestments are verboten.

I prefer the formal side of business casual, but I'm game for pretty much anything as long as it is tasteful. (For instance, you couldn't pay me enough to wear pimp-suit purple.)

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoods Presbyterian View Post
    I may be old and grumpy but I have never understood how the "I look like I just rolled out bed and left the car shop" look is cool.
    I agree... what blows my mind is that "fashionable" guys put effort - and hair product - into intentionally giving their hair an unkempt, bed-head look. I don't get it.
    Ben
    Chaplain, US Army
    Stuttgart, Germany
    TE Potomac Presbytery, PCA
    www.thebenaddiction.com

"Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, 'would an idiot do that?' And if they would, I do not do that thing." -- Dwight Schrute

"I've been so thoroughly trained that I don't even need to think before I speak." -- Harry Crumb

CIT
    CIT is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Personally, I like the bald camo look.
    B

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Calvinist View Post
    Personally, I don't see it as adding to Scripture.
    Oh there's no question that it is. Nowhere in Scripture do we find warrant for special clothes for the clergy. However, given the way our tradition has treated the issue, this is clearly a circumstance of worship, and therefore cannot be required, but also should not be forbidden.
    Philip

Blog Entries
    Acts 13 shows Paul wearing distinguishable clothing as this old post from the PB archives explains...

Geneva Gowns, Yes or No?
    Ellisville, Mississippi

Deo Vindice

fredtgreco is offline. Vanilla Westminsterian
    Quote Originally Posted by Backwoods Presbyterian View Post
    Acts 13 shows Paul wearing distinguishable clothing as this old post from the PB archives explains...

http://<a href="http://www.puritanbo...post508138</a>
    This is not even close to being as cut and dry as proposed. There are any number of other explanations for Paul speaking than "they saw he was dressed like a teacher." It might have been, or it might have been that Paul had talked to the rulers beforehand. Or he might have simply stood up in order to speak (that was, after all, his mission). Or it could be that as unrecognized out-of-town Jew, he might have been called on.

I don't think any of that militates against wearing a robe, but such a fast and loose hermeneutic does far more damage than any potential good (even assuming that you can have a positive requirement to wear a robe).
    Fred Greco
    Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA (Katy, TX)
    Christ Church Blog

"The heart is the main thing in true religion...It is the hinge and turning-point in the condition of man's soul. If the heart is alive to God and quickened by the Spirit, the man is a living Christian. If the heart is dead and has not the Spirit, the man is dead before God." (J.C. Ryle)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast